PDA

View Full Version : Section Hike Late April early May...

jgiannillo
01-15-2017, 17:58
Hey all....Im planning a section hike last weekend of April somewhere in the Bear Mountain area. Does any one have info on what the weather is that time of year up in the mountains?? Im bringing my mom as its her first time hiking and want to make sure her experience is a good one. Thanks!

Cookerhiker
01-15-2017, 19:23
Which Bear Mountain - NY or CT?

In either case, the weather should be nice temperature-wise but bring a warm layer for evening. Also bring rain gear.

Also in either case, you're not much "up in the mountains" since some of the lowest elevations of the entire AT are in NY and CT.

jgiannillo
01-15-2017, 20:01
New York Bear Mountain...and I'm from Long Island. Anything north of the Tappan zee Bridge is "up in the mountains" to me. :D

Cookerhiker
01-15-2017, 20:11
New York Bear Mountain...and I'm from Long Island. Anything north of the Tappan zee Bridge is "up in the mountains" to me. :D

OK. Now since it's your mother's first backpack, you should consider that west of the Hudson River (where Bear Mountain is) features ups and downs that are quite strenuous. Between the Hudson and Greenwood Lake, the AT is a series of steep ups and downs that surprise thruhikers when they reach this point. They figure that since the Hudson is the lowest point of the entire AT, there's can't be much up and down.

In contrast, the AT east of the Hudson is noticeably easier. Now that doesn't mean "flat" but it's nowhere near as strenuous as the Bear Mountain side.

Slo-go'en
01-15-2017, 20:29
You can drive to the top of Bear mountain. Or climb the 1000 rock steps up from the picnic area. But you say you want to do a section hike and the Harriman park more or less ends at Bear Mt. Parts of the park are not too bad, but a lot of it is frequent steep ups and down, and one 18 mile stretch has a nick name of "agony grind" to give you an idea. I did that on kind of a hot, muggy day and it was agony for sure.

The trail is a lot mellower north of the Hutson, but it is also pretty boring and they still find ways to challenge you in places. NJ on the other hand is actually pretty nice and reasonably easy. The high point area is good. The other hikers I was with through there all commented how surprised they were about New Jersey. (Which happens to be my birth state).

LIhikers
01-16-2017, 21:19
Hey, fellow Long Islander here.
Let me suggest that you take a few trips up to Bear Mountain and Harriman State Parks and do a few day hikes to scout out the terrain.
But first, make sure to have the maps of the park, you can get them HERE (https://www.nynjtc.org/maps/harrimanbear-mountain-trails-map-set) or from the EMS and REI stores over in Carl Place as they show all the trails in the parks, not just the AT.
If you think Mom will enjoy that then the 2 of you should have at it.
As for the weather in April, it's unpredictable. I'd be prepared for wet and cold to be on the safe side.

jgiannillo
01-23-2017, 18:01
I've done the Agony Grind section of the trail..Elk Penn to the Wild Cat shelter and yes I agree it was pretty strenuous. I have maps and guidebooks to do some research. New Jersey traffic can be unpredictable and that may be a deal breaker for her. I appreciate the heads up and will research the Jersey side.