PDA

View Full Version : NOBO Mid-March Gear List

bikeandhike
01-16-2017, 20:13
https://lighterpack.com/r/crfya8

Am I overlooking anything here?
Suggestions on reducing weight?

Haven't put together the sewing kit, or added a few extra batteries, a ziplock or two for clothes...but otherwise the list should be relatively complete.
My hiking partner is taking the cooking gear not listed here, I'm carrying the tent.

The Patagonia Hip Pack is a lightweight hip pack to be used around town to carry jackets, money, etc when we don't have our packs. Luxury item, for sure

https://lighterpack.com/r/34b5nv that's the guess at the warm weather pack...I'm sure it will change a bit, but it's based on my winter setup with minor changes to clothes, sleeping gear and footwear.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Jon

Hikingjim
01-16-2017, 21:55
Considering your camera stuff, your fannie pack, and camp shoes come it at around 2 lbs, that's not a bad winter base weight if you want to bring those

Possibly a couple items of excess clothing. Example: Convertible pants, thermal pants, rain pants, and shorts on the winter list. Could get your shorts later if you have the convertible pants, and you can easily get away with one pair of shorts (instead of the two on the summer list) for the most part in warmer weather, especially if you have those convertibles as backups

bikeandhike
01-16-2017, 22:34
yea the shorts can be left to summer...and one pair. thanks.

josh_ATL
01-17-2017, 03:38
- Your tent doesn't really need a dry sack, instead, use a pack liner and toss it in your pack if it's dry. If it's wet then hang/shove into outside pocket to help it dry out. If you throw it in the dry bag, it will never dry.
- I'd ditch the pack cover and just use liner instead. *Personal preference though.
- I'd ditch the bug net, or bounce it forward until you really need it. I've never had enough trouble with bugs to warrant a bug net. As long as you're moving, they won't really bother you.
- The Z-seat is a kind of luxury item. You could do your hike with it, or without. I found I hardly ever used mine and hiker boxed it. Just not an essential piece of gear.
- I would get rid of the wallet and just carry your cards/cash/id in a clip or rubber band.
- Pick Sawyer OR Aquamira, shouldn't need both. I'd go with the Aquamire, or just a Visine bottle of bleach as this is the lighter option.
- I'd swap the camp suds out for small bottle of Dr. Bronners. 1oz bottle lasted my whole AT thru.
- I'd ditch the camps shoes, but again, just personal preference.
- Your camp/extra socks seem heavy, but at the same time, I can't sleep very well when my feet are cold. Maybe just carry two pairs and sleep in the dry pair.
- You could swap the Frog Togg pants for a rain kilt. Lighter and will last entire trail. You'll have to replace the Frog Toggs at least a couple times
- Swap out your boots for some lightweight trail runners, if your comfortable with them. You'll feel the weight of boots when you're doing 15+ mile days, especially toward the end of the day
- I'd ditch the pillow and just use clothing bag instead.
- Your sleeping pad isn't too terribly heavy, but there are definitely lighter options you could switch to.
- I would ditch the EE down hoody, and just use your thermal hat and/or your hooded jacket. I have a Revelation as well and have never been so cold that I felt like I needed a separate down hood.
- It probably wouldn't hurt to pick up another Platypus soft bottle, oe smart water bottle so you can carry more water if it becomes scarce.
- Unless you're planning on just carrying trek poles, you can probably count them as "worn weight."

Lifeproof case is an excellent choice for hiking. I put mine through thunderstorms, creek fords, lake swimming and kayaking, and the case has never leaked.

Awesome camera! I've got the G-1X, and love it. All the G-series Canons perform very well. I'm sure others will tell you you can drop weight by ditching your camera setup, but I think this is one area where the extra weight is totally worth it. I'm confident you'll be happy with your decision to bring it. You're be able to document your entire hike with photos and videos that are better quality than your phone's camera can capture. Phones cameras image quality can't even compare to the Canon G series. My camera is probably my heaviest item, but well worth the weight. I don't know how you hike with yours, but I like to carry either a chest pack, or fanny pack so I have quick access to my camera. So you might want to consider using it for more than a town bag.

Anyway, hope my two cents was somewhat helpful!

bikeandhike
01-17-2017, 09:06
Thanks for the response Josh. I'll think about some of your suggestions.

A couple of quick responses.
- Tent - it's going on the outside of my pack so I'm concerned it may get damaged over time without the bag. I'll see about relocating though.
- Camp suds...yea Dr Bronner's is most likely going to take it's place. Actually a bottle of it is sitting next to me now.
- Frog Toggs for winter only. Just worried about cold and wet. Dropping in the warmer months.
- Boots, switching to Wildcat runners as soon as the snow isn't an issue.
- Sleeping pad I'm thinking I'll swap to the NeoAir if/when I find the xtherm's weight to much or it's too hot
- Down hood, thanks...first time using a quilt and not sure if I needed it or not.
- water - plan on taking two smart water bottles, one empty unless I start using a lot of water...or filling up near the end of the day for dinner.
- poles...yep I've got them as worn weight.
- camera not going to give it up...no way. Part of my day job is as a photographer, so I'm never without on adventures. I have lowepro dashpoint 20 on my shoulder strap that it fits into. Lightweight, lined with ziplock right now. Probably going to stick with it unless I find something else.

Again...thanks Josh I will be making some minor changes in the next month and your ideas are helpful.