PDA

View Full Version : Fontanna Dam parking heading North

JZS50
01-16-2017, 22:04
Want to make sure I am not missing something, once I enter Fontanna Dam area around mile 166 and heading north. Where is the next parking/pick up point?

Thanks,

MuddyWaters
01-16-2017, 22:10
You can park at newfound gap. But you can be picked up at clingmans dome.

HooKooDooKu
01-17-2017, 00:27
You can park at Clingman's Dome too...

Well, at least once the road from New Found Gap to Clingman's Dome opens for the season.
Officially it opens March 1st (weather permitting), but sometimes opens early (weather permitting).

liteweight
01-19-2017, 13:27
Clingman's Dome road officially opens April 1st. I've seen them in the past open it earlier or later depending on weather. Depending on your start date Newfound Gap might be your best option.

Tennessee Viking
01-19-2017, 13:33
Clingman Dome Parking area

Trail follows Clingmans Road

Newfound Gap

Jump off down to Cosby campground at Low Gap

Cut over to Big Creek Trailhead parking

Davenport Gap - barely any parking

Pigeon River/I40 - Don't park overnight

Standing Bear Farm

TNhiker
01-19-2017, 13:53
Davenport Gap - barely any parking

i suggest not parking here....

its been a place of many a break in.........

much safer to park at the rangers station which is a short walk away..........like maybe 2 miles? i forget....

illabelle
01-19-2017, 14:38
i suggest not parking here....

its been a place of many a break in.........

much safer to park at the rangers station which is a short walk away..........like maybe 2 miles? i forget....

I think it's 1 1/4 mile. Downhill walk on a lightly traveled gravel road. Not too bad unless the weather is ugly.

HooKooDooKu
01-19-2017, 15:02
If you are willing to skip the last two miles of the AT, Chestnut Branch is a two mile side trail from the AT to within 100 yards of the parking lot at the Big Creek Ranger station.

JZS50
01-22-2017, 20:55
Sooo....In summary, it appears once you start at Fontanna it looks like you have to go around 30 miiles or so for pick up/parking?

JC13
01-23-2017, 09:56
Sooo....In summary, it appears once you start at Fontanna it looks like you have to go around 30 miiles or so for pick up/parking?No pickup between Fontana Dam and Clingmans Dome.

167.4-199.4 32 miles.

TNhiker
01-23-2017, 10:38
If necessary---one could take a side trail into cades cove or the Bryson city side to get a pickup...

soumodeler
01-23-2017, 14:45
If necessary---one could take a side trail into cades cove or the Bryson city side to get a pickup...

Yes you can bail off into Cade's Cove if necessary. There are 2 or 3 trails that head that way. About 5 miles all downhill.

HooKooDooKu
01-23-2017, 15:26
Cades Cove is definitely a good early bail point if needed.

But Bryson City? Doesn't make much since from the AT.

Looks to me that if you are before Mollies Ridge Shelter and need to bail, you might as well double back to Fontana.
If you are between Mollies Ridge Shelter and Spence Field Shelter, or anywhere else before Rocky Top, then Cades Cove is your fastest bailout.
Between Rocky Top or so to Derrick Knob Shelter on to about Miry Ridge Trail, Tremont is your fastest bailout (worst case, include 6 miles of road walking to get to the edge of Townsend if you don't have a cell to call ahead for a pickup on Tremont Road).
After Miry Ridge, you might as well press on to Clingman's Dome (or New Found Gap if the road to Clingman's is still closed for the season). Your 1st chance to head towards Bryson is at Silers Bald. From there, Clingman's is only 4 miles away, and New Found Gap is only 11 miles away... and if you head towards Bryson from Silers, it's at least 13 miles and that's only going to get you to the end of The Road To Nowhere.

Haven't ever considered it before, but once you get passed New Found Gap, if you find you have to bail, about your only option is to double back to New Found Gap Road. Nothing good leads towards Cherokee, and you have to get passed Tricorner Knob shelter before Cosby Campground becomes about your only good bailing point beyond New Found Gap.

TNhiker
01-23-2017, 16:00
But Bryson City? Doesn't make much since from the AT.

no.................

but its an option if needed............