Fixed blade knife - 3.0oz
Paracord - 3.2oz
Camelback bladder - 6.7oz
Vintage reí external frame pack - 67.3 oz
Jetboil - 13.9oz
Mountain hardware gloves - 7.1oz
Colombia beanie - 4.8oz
Helium ii - 6.5oz

I'm new to whiteblaze and am planning a thru hike of the pct this summer as I just graduated high school this last summer and see this as my only chance at having the time and money for a thru hike (I've been working since I graduated). I'm also new to lightweight backpacking as I've been using my fathers vintage gear and wonder what you guys think of my gear list, also I have yet to get my tent but I plan on getting a big Agnes fly creek ul2.

G-FOURce
01-17-2017, 01:24
Lose the heavy darn tough socks. Mine weigh half of yours
Leave the thermometer at home
Lose the Spork and knife and trade them for a long handled spoon
trade the Sawyer squeeze for a Sawyer mini
The 0° bag sounds a bit over-the-top. Could you save weight using a 20° bag and sleep in your warm clothes?
I don't see anything on your list that the solar charger would charge…??
Lose the fixed blade knife for a folder that weighs less than 1 ounce with a 2 inch blade
Your beanie and gloves are ridiculously heavy… Reconsider both of those
Through the external frame pack away… PM mefor a "Jesus saves"

Feral Bill
01-17-2017, 01:32
You're 18. A few (at most) extra pounds won't kill you. You may need money more than lighter gear. Have at it.

Puddle sleeper
01-17-2017, 01:52
I do like the idea of undestroyable socks though, I'll consider leaving the thermometer although knowing how miserable I am is fun sometimes, the long spoon idea I'll also consider, I'm also debating going cookless. I forgot to mention iPhone as it will probably be in my pocket, the knife thing also makes sense and yea I have winter beanie/ gloves. And I'm never throwing this pack away sorry, it carries the weight well and looks rad, and has great back ventilation, I mean I could save three pounds on it but I also don't have much money to replace it and I got it for $12 dollars, hard to beat, thanks for the advice I'll definitely reconsider a couple things in my pack

Puddle sleeper
01-17-2017, 01:56
Yea money is tight sadly, I'll figure a couple ways to save some weight where I can without breaking my wallet, I guess I'll have to take the age old advice "just deal with it"

jefals
01-17-2017, 02:33
Columbia down jacket - 15oz
Thermometer - 0.7oz
Spork and knife - 0.7oz
Darn tough socks (extra pair) - 2.9oz
Extra underwear - 2.1oz
Sawyer squeeze - 6.5oz
Vintage reí zero degree bag - 48.6 oz
Shamagh (giant middle eastern bandana) - 5.8oz
Thermarest sleeping pad - 12.9oz
Black diamond headlight - 3.0oz
Chapstick - 0.3oz
Compass - 0.8oz
Suntactics solar charger - 7.5oz
Paracord - 3.2oz
Jetboil - 13.9oz
Colombia beanie - 4.8oz
Helium ii - 6.5oz

I'm new to whiteblaze and am planning a thru hike of the pct this summer as I just graduated high school this last summer and see this as my only chance at having the time and money for a thru hike (I've been working since I graduated). I'm also new to lightweight backpacking as I've been using my fathers vintage gear and wonder what you guys think of my gear list, also I have yet to get my tent but I plan on getting a big Agnes fly creek ul2.
Is the charger for a cell phone? Have you tested that? If so, I'm curious to know how good it works.
You said you're going to start this in the summer, so I guess you're going southbound, right? If you're going north, it's gonna be HOT in that desert, and you should prepare to be able carry at least 6 liters if water, IMHO. I know you have a camelbak, and I'm thinking it's the 3 liter one. I'd get some 1.5 liter water bottles, in addition to that, which will hopefully fit in your side pockets on your pack. I found a cap and tube on Amazon, so you can drink from those bottles just like you can from the camelbak.
And a wise ole backpacker told me once, when you're hikin, especially in the desert, split your water up so it's not all in one container...
BTW, what's the total weight of that list?

Puddle sleeper
01-17-2017, 02:41
Is the charger for a cell phone? Have you tested that? If so, I'm curious to know how good it works.
You said you're going to start this in the summer, so I guess you're going southbound, right? If you're going north, it's gonna be HOT in that desert, and you should prepare to be able carry at least 6 liters if water, IMHO. I know you have a camelbak, and I'm thinking it's the 3 liter one. I'd get some 1.5 liter water bottles, in addition to that, which will hopefully fit in your side pockets on your pack. I found a cap and tube on Amazon, so you can drink from those bottles just like you can from the camelbak.
And a wise ole backpacker told me once, when you're hikin, especially in the desert, split your water up so it's not all in one container...
BTW, what's the total weight of that list?

I'm going northbound, when I say summer I mean spring and summer I was just too lazy to type, and I used the solar charger but it was in the sierras in late fall and my phone was so cold it wasn't charging until I warmed it up in my pocket at that point I gave up and hiked out (you know how cold does that too batteries) and the total was like 15 pounds I believe but that's missing a few key items, I'm really considering ditching my stove, I don't get tired of food easy and really hate cleaning the pot

Flounder940
01-17-2017, 11:49
IF $250 for a new pack is the difference between going on a PCT thru hike and not being able to afford it, then you don't have enough money.

Puddle sleeper
01-17-2017, 12:47
IF $250 for a new pack is the difference between going on a PCT thru hike and not being able to afford it, then you don't have enough money.

I mean I could drop like $700 on gear and still make my $5000 dollar deadline before I leave but why fix what isn't broken, my pack carries it weight well plus I don't think carrying a gallon plus of water in a ul pack sounds like any fun. Now the beanie and gloves I will definitely be replacing for lighter versions. I'd also like to have money when I come back for the next adventure you know.

CarlZ993
01-17-2017, 20:42
I'll offer my $0.02 worth of advice (it might be worth that much) on your gear list.

At 18, I suspect you are on the 'young & broke' end of the financial spectrum. You can save weight by not taking something or substituting it with something you already have that is lighter. A lot of little things can be done to reduce your weight (stove/pot options - more on that later; 1-oz bandana vs Shamagh; SmartWater bottles instead of Camelbak; etc) that you can look into. You save the biggest amount of weight on reducing your big-3: shelter (miss it in the list?), pack, & sleep system. This is also an area where you can drop some serious coin.

Stoveless/potless is an option (one that I don't try too often). You can go 'reasonably priced' for your pot (~$30; i.e. GSI 1.1L Boiler, 7.4 oz; or Olycamp XTS 1.1L pot that has JetBoil-like fins around the base, 7.8 oz) or dirt cheap ($2.97 for an Imusa 12 cm mug/pot from Walmart, 3.5 oz... make a own foil lid).

For a dirt cheap & really light stove, check out the BRS-3000 stove for ~$15 @ 1 oz. For a very fuel efficient canister stove, check out the Soto Windmaster (my favorite; very wind-resistant burner) @ 2.8 oz ~$65 or so.

Just remember, the physics formula for measuring 'Work' is well established. With your youth, you'll probably be able to handle more 'work' - weight - (& have greater recuperative power), but why do so if you don't have to.

Good luck on your hike!

handlebar
01-17-2017, 21:20
1. You might want to add a piece of tyvek to use as a groundsheet when you sleep under the stars as well as underneath your tent.

2. A second spare pair of socks to sleep in?

3. You'll need a bear can for the Sierra. I think there may again be a loaner program. Check out the PCT 2017 facebook group.

4. Don't see: minimal first aid kit; snow stake to dig catholes

Puddle sleeper
01-17-2017, 23:21
I'll offer my $0.02 worth of advice (it might be worth that much) on your gear list.

At 18, I suspect you are on the 'young & broke' end of the financial spectrum. You can save weight by not taking something or substituting it with something you already have that is lighter. A lot of little things can be done to reduce your weight (stove/pot options - more on that later; 1-oz bandana vs Shamagh; SmartWater bottles instead of Camelbak; etc) that you can look into. You save the biggest amount of weight on reducing your big-3: shelter (miss it in the list?), pack, & sleep system. This is also an area where you can drop some serious coin.

Stoveless/potless is an option (one that I don't try too often). You can go 'reasonably priced' for your pot (~$30; i.e. GSI 1.1L Boiler, 7.4 oz; or Olycamp XTS 1.1L pot that has JetBoil-like fins around the base, 7.8 oz) or dirt cheap ($2.97 for an Imusa 12 cm mug/pot from Walmart, 3.5 oz... make a own foil lid).

For a dirt cheap & really light stove, check out the BRS-3000 stove for ~$15 @ 1 oz. For a very fuel efficient canister stove, check out the Soto Windmaster (my favorite; very wind-resistant burner) @ 2.8 oz ~$65 or so.

Just remember, the physics formula for measuring 'Work' is well established. With your youth, you'll probably be able to handle more 'work' - weight - (& have greater recuperative power), but why do so if you don't have to.

Good luck on your hike!

I'll definitely look into another stove option, thank you, I am leaning towards no stove because it'll make town food that much sweeter.

Puddle sleeper
01-17-2017, 23:24
1. You might want to add a piece of tyvek to use as a groundsheet when you sleep under the stars as well as underneath your tent.

2. A second spare pair of socks to sleep in?

3. You'll need a bear can for the Sierra. I think there may again be a loaner program. Check out the PCT 2017 facebook group.

4. Don't see: minimal first aid kit; snow stake to dig catholes

Do you know where I can get free tyvek? Because I've heard it can be acquired for free and yea I always cow boy camp unless it's raining. And the less clothes I wear in my bag the warmer I am for some reason, and yea I'll rig duct tape for first aid and yea I have a bear canister I just didn't put it because I won't have it the whole time, I also have microspikes,

burger
01-18-2017, 00:55
If the current snow pack keeps up, you'll need an ice axe for sure, and maybe even snowshoes if you're on the early side heading out of Kennedy Meadows.

Replace that bandana thing with a mylar umbrella for about $30 and just a couple of extra ounces. It will be a lifesaver in southern California and will be great for Oregon/Washington when you will run into rain. Worth every penny.

Have you budgeted for your trip on a day by day basis? Trail food runs around $10 a day, if not more. Town food is even more. You can share hotel rooms with friends, but that adds up, too. Some of your old gear is surely going to fail. Some of your new gear probably will, too (the Thermarest comes to mind). You will need multiple pairs of shoes that run over $100 apiece.

BTW, the idea that at 18 this is your last chance to do a thru hike is ridiculous. I was late 30s when I did the PCT. 40something on the CDT. I probably have a few more thru hikes left in me still, and I've met thru hikers on all 3 of the TC trails that were much older than me.

norts
01-18-2017, 01:32
Two pairs of socks is the bare minimum. You should be trying to wash your socks daily. The dirt and dust that gets into them really chews up your feet. Clean pair at the beginning of each day and the other pair rinsed and hanging on your pack.
Also I would stick with the Sawyer squeeze. Mine has now done the AT and the PCT. Lots of ppl looking to swap their mini out for a squeeze on the trail. Mini flow rate slows down very fast. Alot of dubious water supplies on the PCT in the desert areas.

Taz

ScareBear
01-18-2017, 05:52
I still didn't see any alternative to cowboying it when it rains? You are going to need to factor in at least a tarp, line and maybe stakes. Or a bivy.

Sure, everyone can nitpick your list with suggestions to lighten your load. It's what we do...

That said, there is always a financial cost to lightening your load. But, let's look at some things that will lighten it and not cost a ton...
Jetboil-lose it. Go with a lighter(3oz or less) burner and a 4 ounce or less pot. If you hate to clean, get anodized aluminum. Its also a buttload cheaper than titanium, which is a luxury not a necessity. New burner and pot=$20-50, weight savings 10 ounces...
Retro 0 degree bag- Something is wrong here. 3 pounds for a 0 degree down bag is about as light as it gets with modern bags, unless you are going to spend more than $700!!!! Go weigh that bag and check it's rating again. No REI down bag EVER was rated at 0 degrees and only weighed 3 pounds! Go with a lighter down bag at 20 degrees rating. That will be around 2 pounds. I know this is a big expenditure, but it will pay off in comfort and weight savings. No "vintage" bag is going to perform nearly as well as a modern bag. $150-200, but around a TWO POUND weight savings...over a real vintage 0 degree bag, which should weigh in at no less than 4 and more likely 5 pounds! For comparison, a new Western Mountaineering 0 degree down bag(widely regarded as the best light down 0 degree bag) weighs in at 43 ounces and costs 600 bucks! So, that's kinda how I know your weight or temp rating is way wrong on your REI vintage sleeping bag!

I know you want to rock your vintage x-frame pack. But, looking cool and being cool are two very different things. There is nothing cool about schlepping a ridiculously out-of-date and way-too-heavy pack for a few thousand miles. You can get a GraniteGear VC60 for $160 bucks on sale right now and save yourself 2 to 3 POUNDS.

So, just there, I've saved you 5 pounds or so and you only spent $350 bucks. My personal target is no more than 10 bucks per ounce of weight saved. I just saved you 90 ounces for $350. It doesn't get any better/cheaper than that!!!!! Trust me, that will be the BEST $350 you have EVER spent. Unless you've been to Amsterdam. YMMV...just sayin...

Hikingjim
01-18-2017, 09:12
I agree with scarebear that you should recheck some of those weights. What vintage external frame pack weighs just over 4 lbs?
If your thermarest mat is actually 12.9 oz, it's probably not very warm. The only ones that would be that light and somewhat warm would be something new and expensive (eg: a small xlite)
Generally you don't need expensive clothes, but upgrading your core items are worth considering

You don't NEED to get a more efficient sleeping bag, etc, but if you're hiking for months it isn't a bad idea if the cost isn't huge

garlic08
01-18-2017, 09:48
You can get Tyvek by asking to raid the dumpster at construction sites.

I hiked the PCT and many other trails without a stove. I think it's an excellent alternative.

I agree with others that an investment in a better pack and bag is a good idea. Keep an eye out for sales. The Marmot Helium sometimes goes for the mid-$200s. Gossamer Gear packs sometimes sell for under $100. My entire PCT kit cost under $800 and weighed less than ten pounds, including a new Tarptent, 15 degree Marmot down bag, and a GG pack that weighed less than a pound.

The bag cost, when amortized over hundreds of future nights, is almost nil. And having to bail out to town one time to weather a storm could cost more than a decent bag. When I hiked the AT, my Helium bag allowed me to hike Smoky Mountain NP all alone in a late spring blizzard (while hoards bailed out to the expensive town of Gatlinburg TN), an experience I'll never forget, and only made possible by a dry 15 degree down bag.

Your writing skills seem exemplary. You've probably done well in school, and best wishes on the PCT.

Puddle sleeper
01-18-2017, 12:43
If the current snow pack keeps up, you'll need an ice axe for sure, and maybe even snowshoes if you're on the early side heading out of Kennedy Meadows.

Replace that bandana thing with a mylar umbrella for about $30 and just a couple of extra ounces. It will be a lifesaver in southern California and will be great for Oregon/Washington when you will run into rain. Worth every penny.

Have you budgeted for your trip on a day by day basis? Trail food runs around $10 a day, if not more. Town food is even more. You can share hotel rooms with friends, but that adds up, too. Some of your old gear is surely going to fail. Some of your new gear probably will, too (the Thermarest comes to mind). You will need multiple pairs of shoes that run over $100 apiece.

BTW, the idea that at 18 this is your last chance to do a thru hike is ridiculous. I was late 30s when I did the PCT. 40something on the CDT. I probably have a few more thru hikes left in me still, and I've met thru hikers on all 3 of the TC trails that were much older than me.

You're right I'll have more chances, it'll just be my last chance for a few years and I want to do things now. I actually a the chrome dome umbrella the bandana thing is for warmth, I'm debating leaving a beanie and just wrapping that thing around my head like the taliban to stay warm

Puddle sleeper
01-18-2017, 12:45
Two pairs of socks is the bare minimum. You should be trying to wash your socks daily. The dirt and dust that gets into them really chews up your feet. Clean pair at the beginning of each day and the other pair rinsed and hanging on your pack.
Also I would stick with the Sawyer squeeze. Mine has now done the AT and the PCT. Lots of ppl looking to swap their mini out for a squeeze on the trail. Mini flow rate slows down very fast. Alot of dubious water supplies on the PCT in the desert areas.

Taz

I have the mini and used it for years and now I have the squeeze and I'm never going back 😂

Puddle sleeper
01-18-2017, 12:50
I still didn't see any alternative to cowboying it when it rains? You are going to need to factor in at least a tarp, line and maybe stakes. Or a bivy.

Sure, everyone can nitpick your list with suggestions to lighten your load. It's what we do...

That said, there is always a financial cost to lightening your load. But, let's look at some things that will lighten it and not cost a ton...
Jetboil-lose it. Go with a lighter(3oz or less) burner and a 4 ounce or less pot. If you hate to clean, get anodized aluminum. Its also a buttload cheaper than titanium, which is a luxury not a necessity. New burner and pot=$20-50, weight savings 10 ounces...
Retro 0 degree bag- Something is wrong here. 3 pounds for a 0 degree down bag is about as light as it gets with modern bags, unless you are going to spend more than $700!!!! Go weigh that bag and check it's rating again. No REI down bag EVER was rated at 0 degrees and only weighed 3 pounds! Go with a lighter down bag at 20 degrees rating. That will be around 2 pounds. I know this is a big expenditure, but it will pay off in comfort and weight savings. No "vintage" bag is going to perform nearly as well as a modern bag. $150-200, but around a TWO POUND weight savings...over a real vintage 0 degree bag, which should weigh in at no less than 4 and more likely 5 pounds! For comparison, a new Western Mountaineering 0 degree down bag(widely regarded as the best light down 0 degree bag) weighs in at 43 ounces and costs 600 bucks! So, that's kinda how I know your weight or temp rating is way wrong on your REI vintage sleeping bag!

I know you want to rock your vintage x-frame pack. But, looking cool and being cool are two very different things. There is nothing cool about schlepping a ridiculously out-of-date and way-too-heavy pack for a few thousand miles. You can get a GraniteGear VC60 for $160 bucks on sale right now and save yourself 2 to 3 POUNDS.

So, just there, I've saved you 5 pounds or so and you only spent $350 bucks. My personal target is no more than 10 bucks per ounce of weight saved. I just saved you 90 ounces for $350. It doesn't get any better/cheaper than that!!!!! Trust me, that will be the BEST $350 you have EVER spent. Unless you've been to Amsterdam. YMMV...just sayin...

I'll consider that. The reí bag definitely weighs 3 pounds and I definitely wouldn't want to be in 0 degree weather with it. As far as the pack goes, you know how if you load a pack wrong it pulls you back and feels much heavier? Well I think the way my pack sits it makes up for it's weight as it makes carrying heavy loads easy while I would imagine a ul pack would make carrying 2 gallons of water a living hell, but then again I could be very wrong.

Puddle sleeper
01-18-2017, 12:52
I agree with scarebear that you should recheck some of those weights. What vintage external frame pack weighs just over 4 lbs?
If your thermarest mat is actually 12.9 oz, it's probably not very warm. The only ones that would be that light and somewhat warm would be something new and expensive (eg: a small xlite)
Generally you don't need expensive clothes, but upgrading your core items are worth considering

You don't NEED to get a more efficient sleeping bag, etc, but if you're hiking for months it isn't a bad idea if the cost isn't huge

I got the thermarest foam pad that accordions out, it's kept me warm so far

Puddle sleeper
01-18-2017, 12:59
You can get Tyvek by asking to raid the dumpster at construction sites.

I hiked the PCT and many other trails without a stove. I think it's an excellent alternative.

I agree with others that an investment in a better pack and bag is a good idea. Keep an eye out for sales. The Marmot Helium sometimes goes for the mid-$200s. Gossamer Gear packs sometimes sell for under $100. My entire PCT kit cost under $800 and weighed less than ten pounds, including a new Tarptent, 15 degree Marmot down bag, and a GG pack that weighed less than a pound.

The bag cost, when amortized over hundreds of future nights, is almost nil. And having to bail out to town one time to weather a storm could cost more than a decent bag. When I hiked the AT, my Helium bag allowed me to hike Smoky Mountain NP all alone in a late spring blizzard (while hoards bailed out to the expensive town of Gatlinburg TN), an experience I'll never forget, and only made possible by a dry 15 degree down bag.

Your writing skills seem exemplary. You've probably done well in school, and best wishes on the PCT.

Well if you did it I'll try it, I'll ditch my stove and see how i feel, that's how I started backpacking anyways, peanut butter sandwiches and almonds.

I'll definitely watch out for sales, because less than 800 sounds manageable for me.

Yea honors and AP classes all of high school to get to the end to realize I didn't want to go to college (at least not yet) thank you for the advice I'll definitely look into some stuff, I might just try it with the setup i have at the moment because I can always trade things out on the trail right?

jefals
01-18-2017, 13:21
I'm going northbound, when I say summer I mean spring and summer I was just too lazy to type, and I used the solar charger but it was in the sierras in late fall and my phone was so cold it wasn't charging until I warmed it up in my pocket at that point I gave up and hiked out (you know how cold does that too batteries) and the total was like 15 pounds I believe but that's missing a few key items, I'm really considering ditching my stove, I don't get tired of food easy and really hate cleaning the pot

Test that charger first. If you're thinking like me, I used to think I would secure it to my pack with velcro or something and let it do its thing while I'm hiking. If your phone is as important to you as mine is to me, you DEFINITELY want to test this out on a test hike before you really have to rely on it. I take a bunch of spare batteries and a plug in cord to recharge when I get to town...

If your weight is just 15 pounds, that's great. Especially at 18, you should be able to handle that. Carrying enough water is critical, obviously. I only did the 1st section, and on that section there's one 32.5 mile stretch - between scissors crossing and Warner Springs, with no reliable water source. (And at scissors, there's no water either, but it's an easy hitch to either Julian, or there's a CG closer in the opposite direction ).
So, assuming you start from scissors with water, you have 32.5 miles dry. Maybe. There's LIKELY to be a very large cache 1/2 way. But, if you're strong enough to carry enough water not to have to rely on that cache - do that! ?
Food: I'm with you. Cooking can be overrated, and if you don't mind eating cold food, that's a little less weight and one less thing to hassle with. I hiked with a guy that only eats peanut butter burritos...

Puddle sleeper
01-18-2017, 13:53
Test that charger first. If you're thinking like me, I used to think I would secure it to my pack with velcro or something and let it do its thing while I'm hiking. If your phone is as important to you as mine is to me, you DEFINITELY want to test this out on a test hike before you really have to rely on it. I take a bunch of spare batteries and a plug in cord to recharge when I get to town...

If your weight is just 15 pounds, that's great. Especially at 18, you should be able to handle that. Carrying enough water is critical, obviously. I only did the 1st section, and on that section there's one 32.5 mile stretch - between scissors crossing and Warner Springs, with no reliable water source. (And at scissors, there's no water either, but it's an easy hitch to either Julian, or there's a CG closer in the opposite direction ).
So, assuming you start from scissors with water, you have 32.5 miles dry. Maybe. There's LIKELY to be a very large cache 1/2 way. But, if you're strong enough to carry enough water not to have to rely on that cache - do that! ?
Food: I'm with you. Cooking can be overrated, and if you don't mind eating cold food, that's a little less weight and one less thing to hassle with. I hiked with a guy that only eats peanut butter burritos...

Thank you for the positive reply man. Yea I've used my charger and it works but haven't hung it on my pack yet, I have a tiny external so the top of it is completely flat, I'm sure I could figure something out and if all else fails I'll charge when I take breaks

garlic08
01-18-2017, 14:15
Well if you did it I'll try it, I'll ditch my stove and see how i feel, that's how I started backpacking anyways, peanut butter sandwiches and almonds.

I'll definitely watch out for sales, because less than 800 sounds manageable for me.

Yea honors and AP classes all of high school to get to the end to realize I didn't want to go to college (at least not yet) thank you for the advice I'll definitely look into some stuff, I might just try it with the setup i have at the moment because I can always trade things out on the trail right?

I took seven years to get my BS degree, and the extra time was worth it in the life experiences I gained. I suspect you'll do much the same.

Swapping gear as you go can get expensive, paying full price. Gear cost was a good share of my $5000 PCT budget. But I can't think of a better way to find what works on a thru hike than to take it on a thru hike, so the first one will by definition be more expensive.

There are some threads here about stoveless hiking and some ideas on decent food to carry.

burger
01-18-2017, 14:38
You're right I'll have more chances, it'll just be my last chance for a few years and I want to do things now. I actually a the chrome dome umbrella the bandana thing is for warmth, I'm debating leaving a beanie and just wrapping that thing around my head like the taliban to stay warm

Um, I'm pretty sure that Shemaghs (or Keffiyehs, as they're also known) are used by more than just the Taliban. Oy.

Miguelon
01-18-2017, 15:34
Hey...

Would that I were 18 and about to hike the PCT!

Some ideas for you:

A knife idea for you: Victorinox Signature. Pen, file, scissors, pen knife, tweezers. Can find used on ebay for $6 or 8 ish. cheesy review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSlKWjuhkIY&t=2s

Stove idea: $1 or less. Buy a Fancy Feast Cat food container.... modify it to make an alcohol stove/esbit/coghlans camping fuel tablets.

how to make the stove:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pajkt594Ruw

how to make a windscreen out of a aluminum can.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPmHv1WlcXU

I really like these containers. 20cc so just .67oz
Mosquito Repellant. Dr. Bronners. Bleach-(10cc size bottle, backup water purification). Rubbing Alcohol 91% with Cotton Balls cut in half--Firestarter and Antiseptic. (Tweezers from Swiss Army knife used to fish out cotton balls.)
New bottles picked up at mail drops.

In drop down menu choose larger size.

http://www.dutchwaregear.com/eye-dropper-bottles.html

Instead of Paracord, I'd consider:

http://www.dutchwaregear.com/dutch-wire.html
or
http://www.dutchwaregear.com/25-feet-of-dynaglide.html

$ 7 Sit Pad

http://www.dutchwaregear.com/folding-sit-pad.html

If you are paying for shipping might as well get some other things at the same site.

To augment the pad-- I would spend $18 to add another pad. Add some warmth and comfort.

http://gossamergear.com/thinlight-backpacking-pads.html

Don't know your size but.... check out the used gear on this site:

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/122719-FS-new-Granite-Gear-Crown-VC-60

Also so much information on youtube.

Good luck to you,
Miguelon

Gambit McCrae
01-18-2017, 15:52
Thermometer - 0.7oz
Spork and knife - 0.7oz
Extra underwear - 2.1oz
Sawyer squeeze - 6.5oz
Chapstick - 0.3oz
Compass - 0.8oz
Paracord - 3.2oz
Jetboil - 13.9oz
Colombia beanie - 4.8oz
Helium ii - 6.5oz

Only a few things that I would really look at upgrading if I was serious about walking the 2600 miles.

Look at the low hanging fruit opportunities vs expense of upgrading to get started.
Focus on your big 3 -
Since your tent choice is a fly creek we can exclude that from your big 3 as a weight focus.

Pack
Sleeping bag
Jetboil(only bc it weighs an oz more then your comfort system) - Why carry more weight to boil water then you carry to be comfortable at night? have you checked out zelph alc stoves? run about 12 bucks and weigh 3 oz . I can boil water pretty much as fast with a cat food can as you can with a jet boil

Look on ebay daily. Zpacks items are always going up on there and as well as FB flea markets. I suggest to everyone that if you can afford zpacks product that it is worth it.

Drop the camel back bladder, great way to get all your stuff wet. use smart water bottles and sawyer bladders for when you need to camel water.

Down jacket sounds a little heavy, might be needed for cold desert nights - I am not familiar with PCT hiking (my gear list contributions thus far have been irrelevant to what trail you are on), but I would suggest looking at trying to shed some weight off that jacket if its not going to be needed very often.

Puddle sleeper
01-18-2017, 16:07
Um, I'm pretty sure that Shemaghs (or Keffiyehs, as they're also known) are used by more than just the Taliban. Oy.

They definitely are, my grandmother was born in Iran don't worry I wasn't trying to be offensive just the image I was trying to paint involved using the taliban as an example.

Puddle sleeper
01-18-2017, 16:09
Hey...

Would that I were 18 and about to hike the PCT!

Some ideas for you:

A knife idea for you: Victorinox Signature. Pen, file, scissors, pen knife, tweezers. Can find used on ebay for $6 or 8 ish. cheesy review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSlKWjuhkIY&t=2s

Stove idea: $1 or less. Buy a Fancy Feast Cat food container.... modify it to make an alcohol stove/esbit/coghlans camping fuel tablets.

how to make the stove:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pajkt594Ruw

how to make a windscreen out of a aluminum can.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPmHv1WlcXU

I really like these containers. 20cc so just .67oz
Mosquito Repellant. Dr. Bronners. Bleach-(10cc size bottle, backup water purification). Rubbing Alcohol 91% with Cotton Balls cut in half--Firestarter and Antiseptic. (Tweezers from Swiss Army knife used to fish out cotton balls.)
New bottles picked up at mail drops.

In drop down menu choose larger size.

http://www.dutchwaregear.com/eye-dropper-bottles.html

Instead of Paracord, I'd consider:

http://www.dutchwaregear.com/dutch-wire.html
or
http://www.dutchwaregear.com/25-feet-of-dynaglide.html

$ 7 Sit Pad

http://www.dutchwaregear.com/folding-sit-pad.html

If you are paying for shipping might as well get some other things at the same site.

To augment the pad-- I would spend $18 to add another pad. Add some warmth and comfort.

http://gossamergear.com/thinlight-backpacking-pads.html

Don't know your size but.... check out the used gear on this site:

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/122719-FS-new-Granite-Gear-Crown-VC-60

Also so much information on youtube.

Good luck to you,
Miguelon

Thank you for all the links wow! I'll check them out after work thank you

jefals
01-18-2017, 16:38
Oh yeah, didn't you ask about free tyvek? I don't know about free, but you can get it on amazon for under $8..

Puddle sleeper
01-19-2017, 01:25
Thermometer - 0.7oz
Spork and knife - 0.7oz
Extra underwear - 2.1oz
Sawyer squeeze - 6.5oz
Chapstick - 0.3oz
Compass - 0.8oz
Paracord - 3.2oz
Jetboil - 13.9oz
Colombia beanie - 4.8oz
Helium ii - 6.5oz

Only a few things that I would really look at upgrading if I was serious about walking the 2600 miles.

Look at the low hanging fruit opportunities vs expense of upgrading to get started.
Focus on your big 3 -
Since your tent choice is a fly creek we can exclude that from your big 3 as a weight focus.

Pack
Sleeping bag
Jetboil(only bc it weighs an oz more then your comfort system) - Why carry more weight to boil water then you carry to be comfortable at night? have you checked out zelph alc stoves? run about 12 bucks and weigh 3 oz . I can boil water pretty much as fast with a cat food can as you can with a jet boil

Look on ebay daily. Zpacks items are always going up on there and as well as FB flea markets. I suggest to everyone that if you can afford zpacks product that it is worth it.

Drop the camel back bladder, great way to get all your stuff wet. use smart water bottles and sawyer bladders for when you need to camel water.

Down jacket sounds a little heavy, might be needed for cold desert nights - I am not familiar with PCT hiking (my gear list contributions thus far have been irrelevant to what trail you are on), but I would suggest looking at trying to shed some weight off that jacket if its not going to be needed very often.

Yea I'm ditching the jetboil, the zpacks arc blast looks intriguing to me. And I've used my camel back on every backing trip since sophomore year and I have yet to get my stuff wet (probably due to my ancient external frames design weirdly enough) and the jacket was a gift so my hand is forced, but it's also my only warming layer there 100 percent necessary, because my rain jacket is only a shell

Tahoeturner
01-19-2017, 02:43
Lots of great advice here. Personally, I have a thing about having clean socks. During my 2016 AT hike, putting on a clean pair almost every morning was a such a treat that I accepted the extra weight of four pair (one pair on my feet). Washing on the trail works only part-time; multiple raining days makes it pretty difficult to dry anything. Foot care should be a top priority.

ScareBear
01-19-2017, 08:00
I'll consider that. The reí bag definitely weighs 3 pounds and I definitely wouldn't want to be in 0 degree weather with it. As far as the pack goes, you know how if you load a pack wrong it pulls you back and feels much heavier? Well I think the way my pack sits it makes up for it's weight as it makes carrying heavy loads easy while I would imagine a ul pack would make carrying 2 gallons of water a living hell, but then again I could be very wrong.

That REI bag is probably a 30 degree....you are going to need a new bag. Sorry.

I know you like how the x-frame pack carries a heavy load. But, if you look at the physics of packs, you will see that it all comes down to the pack's ability to transfer the load/weight to the hip belt. The x-frame packs are the most efficient at doing this, for obvious reasons. But, that does NOT mean that UL packs are far worse. Just slightly not as efficient. Everyone raves about Zpacks ArcHaul and it is on my short list for big dollars for new gear. However, it obviously is not for everyone, or there would not be so many for sale used!! Do you know how to tell a good car model? By the lack of availability of used ones in the market(or their high resale price, i.e. Toyota)...so...take everyone's glowing rec's for anything with a grain of salt. If there is an unusual or disproportionately high rate of a certain item for sale in the used gear market, especially at low prices, its a good sign that the design isn't working out for many folks and that the cognitive dissonance is so high that they will part with a barely used item for far less than the purchase price. I think many people thought the ArcHaul was a cure-all for their issues with packs, and it really isn't. Its just a lightweight Cuben Fibre sack suspended on some carbon fibre rods that connect to the hip belt. Lightweight being the key for me. Also, it has a very unique design whereby you can actually alter the curve of the frame of the pack to keep it off of your back. Infinitely adjustable. That, and the weight, are the big selling points for me. Since you want the pack off your back, I'd say look for a used ArcBlast or ArcHaul on the used gear market. If that is too much money, there are old model packs that are new for sale. Right now you can get the 2014 50L Fusion by SixMoonDesigns for a Benjamin. Brand new from the manufacturer. No warranty, though... https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/collections/bargain-bin
It takes some internet hunting and forum perusing to find the dealios...just sayin...

You won't be carrying two gallons for very long. Two gallons weigh what? 16.6 pounds....unless you've got an ultralight pack with a load limit of 25 pounds, any internal frame pack will accept the load...Even for the very limited occasions when you have to carry a heavy load, you don't want an overbuilt overweight pack for all the other times....look at the big three thousand mile picture....

egilbe
01-19-2017, 08:10
Carrying a compass, but no mention of maps?

ScareBear
01-19-2017, 08:54
Plus, it is difficult to maneuver with an x-frame pack, especially in close quarters or dense brush.

Puddle sleeper
01-19-2017, 12:01

I know you like how the x-frame pack carries a heavy load. But, if you look at the physics of packs, you will see that it all comes down to the pack's ability to transfer the load/weight to the hip belt. The x-frame packs are the most efficient at doing this, for obvious reasons. But, that does NOT mean that UL packs are far worse. Just slightly not as efficient. Everyone raves about Zpacks ArcHaul and it is on my short list for big dollars for new gear. However, it obviously is not for everyone, or there would not be so many for sale used!! Do you know how to tell a good car model? By the lack of availability of used ones in the market(or their high resale price, i.e. Toyota)...so...take everyone's glowing rec's for anything with a grain of salt. If there is an unusual or disproportionately high rate of a certain item for sale in the used gear market, especially at low prices, its a good sign that the design isn't working out for many folks and that the cognitive dissonance is so high that they will part with a barely used item for far less than the purchase price. I think many people thought the ArcHaul was a cure-all for their issues with packs, and it really isn't. Its just a lightweight Cuben Fibre sack suspended on some carbon fibre rods that connect to the hip belt. Lightweight being the key for me. Also, it has a very unique design whereby you can actually alter the curve of the frame of the pack to keep it off of your back. Infinitely adjustable. That, and the weight, are the big selling points for me. Since you want the pack off your back, I'd say look for a used ArcBlast or ArcHaul on the used gear market. If that is too much money, there are old model packs that are new for sale. Right now you can get the 2014 50L Fusion by SixMoonDesigns for a Benjamin. Brand new from the manufacturer. No warranty, though... https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/collections/bargain-bin
It takes some internet hunting and forum perusing to find the dealios...just sayin...

You won't be carrying two gallons for very long. Two gallons weigh what? 16.6 pounds....unless you've got an ultralight pack with a load limit of 25 pounds, any internal frame pack will accept the load...Even for the very limited occasions when you have to carry a heavy load, you don't want an overbuilt overweight pack for all the other times....look at the big three thousand mile picture....

I'll reall consider getting that pack, 100 isn't bad. And my bag is definítly a 0 it says it on there, and I've been warm to pretty low temps in it so I think I'll be fine with it

Puddle sleeper
01-19-2017, 12:03
Carrying a compass, but no mention of maps?

So far all I have is guthooks app, haven't got around to printing out maps

Puddle sleeper
01-19-2017, 12:14

Yea but that worries me that you care that there's no warranty, a good piece of gear shouldn't really need one, I will be destroyed long before my external frame haha

Puddle sleeper
01-19-2017, 12:43
Plus, it is difficult to maneuver with an x-frame pack, especially in close quarters or dense brush.

Have you ever actually backpacked with an external?

ScareBear
01-19-2017, 13:33
Ummm...yeah...like that's all that was freaking around in the 70's! And, early 80's, for that matter....

Wait until that x-frame gets snagged on a downhill and flips your around 90 degrees...

X-frames don't really pivot with you, they just kind of go their own way. Which may or may not be the way you are wanting to go...

Yeah, hard to say how many miles in the 70's...days are a better count...do I get to include Philmont? In 1975 I did a 32 nighter out west...1976...one 21 nighter and one 26 nighter...1978 a three week climbing expedition...those are only the big ones...keeping track of the 5-7 nighters during that decade is impossible for me...

I had 4 or 5 big x-frame packs from 1972 to 1982. One I converted to a lashed cargo hauler for base-camp expeditions...
None I would wear today for anything other than a costume ball....or maybe to pack out some Elk pieces...YMMV...

Puddle sleeper
01-19-2017, 16:04
Ummm...yeah...like that's all that was freaking around in the 70's! And, early 80's, for that matter....

Wait until that x-frame gets snagged on a downhill and flips your around 90 degrees...

X-frames don't really pivot with you, they just kind of go their own way. Which may or may not be the way you are wanting to go...

Yeah, hard to say how many miles in the 70's...days are a better count...do I get to include Philmont? In 1975 I did a 32 nighter out west...1976...one 21 nighter and one 26 nighter...1978 a three week climbing expedition...those are only the big ones...keeping track of the 5-7 nighters during that decade is impossible for me...

I had 4 or 5 big x-frame packs from 1972 to 1982. One I converted to a lashed cargo hauler for base-camp expeditions...
None I would wear today for anything other than a costume ball....or maybe to pack out some Elk pieces...YMMV...

Well in that case I'll heavily consider an internal, but I want to try them on before I buy one, does reí carry ul packs? And also my pack is a really small external, idk if that makes a difference

ScareBear
01-19-2017, 19:38
REI is going to be very expensive for you, unless you can find something at a closeout price. However, if you have an REI near you, at least you can try on some Osprey packs. REI Flash packs are pretty good and are LW, not ULW. If you have a local outdoor shop(locally owned) for climbers or back country skiers, you can often find lightweight packs on closeout, although not ULW, because both climbers and BC skiers need bullet-proof dependability and winter carry. Measure your torso length to be sure you fit a standard pack... https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/backpacks-adjusting-fit.html

IIWY, I'd be looking to buy used or closeout. Since your x-frame is small, you may be GTG with a 50L pack. That SMD for a Benjamin is a steal. You might find a Klymit Motion 60 used for a Benjamin, new for 165. You don't need the lightest as much as you need lighter and a different suspension system. I'd say you can accomplish both for a hundred bucks on the pack. With that, you are still under $400 for replacing 2 of the big 3(pack, bag) for a savings of at least 4 and more likely 5 pounds. Plus, you get more comfort for your sleep and less weight to carry overall. I didn't give you any bag links, but here are two 20 degree bags that will work well at a decent price.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/marmot-20-f-kenosha-down-sleeping-bag-650-fill-power-mummy-long~p~6334c/?filterString=sleeping-bags~d~208%2F Look for a 25 percent off coupon...

http://www.campsaver.com/ksb-20-down-sleeping-bag

Two things I personally never buy used...shoes and sleeping bags. Well, underwear too. But that goes without saying, right?

glassman
03-18-2017, 01:15

Taz
I put one pair in my sleeping bag kept clean and dry and 2 for hiking use

Do you know where I can get free tyvek? Because I've heard it can be acquired for free and yea I always cow boy camp unless it's raining. And the less clothes I wear in my bag the warmer I am for some reason, and yea I'll rig duct tape for first aid and yea I have a bear canister I just didn't put it because I won't have it the whole time, I also have microspikes,

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk