PDA

View Full Version : Side sleeper pillow options

dcdennis
01-17-2017, 08:26
I am a side sleeper. I have finally found a pad that I am happy with (neoAir xLite Large) but I have yet found the perfect pillow solution. I have tried the 'stuff sack full of clothes', the 'fleece-lined inside out stuff sack full of clothes', and the inflatable pillow and none really work well. Are there any other creative pillow solutions that people have found? Or is this just one of those areas where youve just gotta make the best of what youve got?

FiftyNine
01-17-2017, 09:07
Puffy jacket in stuff sack inside a buff.
The jacket will compress into one of the pockets but it's to compressed that way to use as a pillow. So I use a bigger stuff sack and with the buff over it, it works well. I'm also a side sleeper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don H
01-17-2017, 09:11
Clothes bag stuffed with as many clothes needed for comfort.

DuneElliot
01-17-2017, 09:21
I am also a side/front sleeper that really needs a good pillow. I picked up a Walmart travel pillow and zippered case...very light but bulky...but it fits perfectly at the bottom of my Arc Haul and I am certainly not lacking for space despite having a bulkier pillow.

Traveler
01-17-2017, 09:33
Sounds like you have experimented with the usual pillow solutions, but more information may be needed. It may not be the pillow per se, it can be something inherent with the pillow, placement, or something else going on that the pillow then becomes uncomfortable as a result. Some questions:

Do you place the pillow on the pad or directly on the ground/floor?
Does the pillow slide around easily on the pad/ground/floor and wakes you up?
Pillow doesn't raise your head enough or too much?
Does the pillow also support the neck?
Is the pillow surface rough or causes skin to sweat when in contact for any amount of time?
Is the pillow "loud" to the ear that is on the pillow itself?
Does the pillow have an odor?
Do you try to sleep before your body says its ready?
Do you eat immediately before trying to sleep?
Do night sounds when you are alone cause you to not sleep or wake/worry?
Have you tried using your camp pillow in your home bed to acclimate to it for a while?

These are small issues, but one or more could be the key to solution. They are all solvable once you identify the issue. Sometimes something as simple as a soft cotton tee over the pillow will do the trick. Sleep is important, if not THE important element of a long distance hike, carrying a few extra ounces of sleep comfort like a Tee shirt is well worth the effort.

johnnybgood
01-17-2017, 09:51
Have you tried partially inflating your pillow so it allows for a cushion that still supports your head.
A hiking buddy swears by the Sea to Summit Aero Premium pillow but it is expensive.

I use a Therm -a -Rest regular camp pillow and it does fine

johnnybgood
01-17-2017, 09:51
Edit : Delete double post .

T-Rx
01-17-2017, 10:01
Have you tried partially inflating your pillow so it allows for a cushion that still supports your head.
A hiking buddy swears by the Sea to Summit Aero Premium pillow but it is expensive.

I use a Therm -a -Rest regular camp pillow and it does fine

I am also a side sleeper. The Sea to Summit Aero Premium pillow is one of the best purchases I made during my 2015 hike. It is expensive but a good nights sleep is well worth it! Also, the pillow works much better for me and doesn't slide around as much when it is only partially inflated.

G-FOURce
01-17-2017, 10:02
I have the S2S Aeros pillow and I like it. If I had to do it over again, I would have gotten the premium pillow

cmoulder
01-17-2017, 10:21
I agree with Traveler — nobody will be able to help unless you tell us what pillows you've tried and identify specifically what it is you don't like about them.

Leo L.
01-17-2017, 10:26
Usually I stuff most if not all of my day clothes into the stuff sack of the Thermarest.
This gives me a more or less reasonable pillow, depending on my skill how to stuff the sack, and if I've forgot some items in the clothes pockets.

The perfect pillow I get when I use my down jacket, which, if not wearing it in the evening, I'd take out of ist own small stuff sack and put it into the Thermarest sack.
Gives a really perfect cushion and size, plus, the down jacket is warmed up from my body in the morning and first thing I'd do is put on my warm down jacket - so cozy.

Uriah
01-17-2017, 10:36
https://www.amazon.com/Ultralight-Backpacking-Inflatable-Compressible-Motorcycle/dp/B011041REC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1484663497&sr=8-2&keywords=air+light+pillow

$20 and 2.4 ounces for a deep sleep. Prop up as necessary, with a sit-pad or some clothing.

Greenlight
01-17-2017, 10:47
A trick I've learned, quite an easy hack, when my "pinned" arm starts complaining, is to put that arm behind me. It relieves the pressure, and actually puts my head down a little bit lower, so that my pillow requires less loft. YMMV. Also, and maybe not what you're looking for, but I've found as a hammock hanger, I do just fine on my back. A good diagonal lay hammock eliminates a lot of the pressure points created by sleeping on the ground, and is similar to being cradled. No troubles for me drifting off to sleep in my hammock, though in a bed, I'm a side sleeper too, for the most part.

I am a side sleeper. I have finally found a pad that I am happy with (neoAir xLite Large) but I have yet found the perfect pillow solution. I have tried the 'stuff sack full of clothes', the 'fleece-lined inside out stuff sack full of clothes', and the inflatable pillow and none really work well. Are there any other creative pillow solutions that people have found? Or is this just one of those areas where youve just gotta make the best of what youve got?

MisterQ
01-17-2017, 10:58
I tried everything until I hit on the right solution for me- Empty pack, StS inflatable pillow on top of that, and small foam camp pillow on top of that. The inflatable alone did not prop my head up enough. The pillow takes up a lot of room but it's the only way I sleep well.

Lyle
01-17-2017, 11:13
Shoes at my head, toes pointing toward me. Stuff sack stuffed with whatever you have cradled on top of the toes of the shoes. This holds the stuff sack in place, plus adds an extra little bit of height to it. Works pretty well for me.

tflaris
01-17-2017, 11:44
Sea to Summit inflatable pillow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HooKooDooKu
01-17-2017, 12:50
I've done fine with either the 'Exped Air Pillow UL' and the 'Sea to Summit Aeros' as a side sleeper.

I don't inflate the pillow fully, and I prefer (and currently use) the Aeros because of the cloth feel.

saltysack
01-17-2017, 13:17
Shoes at my head, toes pointing toward me. Stuff sack stuffed with whatever you have cradled on top of the toes of the shoes. This holds the stuff sack in place, plus adds an extra little bit of height to it. Works pretty well for me.

Tried this last trip...shoes helped considerably...added a 2l evernew dirty water bag w lil air covered by a buff worked well.

carouselambra
01-17-2017, 13:38
I use a dirty water bag partially inflated and then wrapped with my rain pants or jacket inside of a stuff sack.

JC13
01-17-2017, 14:02
We used the Nemo Fillo, has the inflatable portion, a section like a sleeve that lets you give it more loft and the sleep surface is 1/2" or so memory foam. Problem is that it is heavy at 9.x oz, opting for something lighter this year but the weight might be worth it to you.

Venchka
01-17-2017, 17:56
Exped Air Pillow. Side sleeper. 3+ months total, 2 months continuous. Used with an Xtherm Large.
Perfect sleep down to 12 degrees F.
Wayne

nsherry61
01-17-2017, 18:05
1) All inflatable pillows are NOT the same! Sea-to-Summit Aeros pillows rock. I have found no others that work for me. Try out both sizes and figure which one works best for you.
2) I used to do well with my fleece folded up as my pillow. I liked my folded fleece as well as any other pillow I've ever used. It rocked. I didn't like other cloths and stuff sacks, but I loved my fleece. BUT now, being stupid, ultra-light, I rarely take my fleece and when I do, I am normally wearing it at night, so my solution is either my STS Aeros pillow, or by shoes under the edge of my NeoAir X-lite with my 2L water bladder blown up and placed on top of my pad. . . the Aeros pillow is much quieter and more comfortable.

Engine
01-17-2017, 18:47
https://drms3v40st3o6.cloudfront.net/f/13590/135906288/sea-to-summit-aeros-ultralight-pillow-regular.jpg Great night of sleep!

Puddlefish
01-17-2017, 19:19
Sierra Designs DriDown pillow. Left the insert at home, stuffed it with a down puffy, or if I was wearing the puffy to sleep, stuffed it with spare clothes or just stuck my hand in it and used it as a sleep mitten.

2.7 oz without the insert, was well worth it for me.

gbolt
01-17-2017, 19:30
I first Purchased a S2S Pillow and loved it. However, it was losing air so I sent it back for a replacement. During that time I purchased a Hammock Gear Down Pillow followed by a Klymit Air Pillow. Each pillow has Pros and Cons. Klymit is the lightest, Down Insulates the best and feels good on the face but is the least supportive and the S2S Aeros is still my number one all around choice. If interested, I did a Video on the S2S and HG Down Pillow (in a hammock) http://youtu.be/oktoLKGhRMA
I also did a seperate one for the Klymit (Got it from Massdrop) http://youtu.be/i9E__bKPLu8

saltysack
01-17-2017, 19:31
I rarely have extra cloths for a stuff sack pillow besides my stinky wet hiking cloths....I'll pass!

DuneElliot
01-18-2017, 09:21
I'm also looking at the Loco Libre Gear down pillow as a lighter, less bulky option in place of my Walmart travel pillow. I hear amazing things about them. I'm also transitioning to hammocks so a bulky pillow will no longer work for me anyway.

Cheyou
01-18-2017, 10:15
http://bigskyproducts.com/Big-Sky-DreamSleeper-UltraLight-inflatable-pillow.aspx

thom

mainebob
01-18-2017, 10:30
I love this pillow and i am a side sleeper. 2.6 oz without stuff sack. great pillow for the price. I think it is just as nice as the $40 sea to summit aeros pillow. I got mine for $9.99 and 2 day shipping with prime it is a steal (best price today is $10.00 with prime today). I completed the Appalachian trail and never used a dedicated pillow, but for the weight, comfort and price i do not think you can go wrong. I used it last year and will never go back to my cloths bag. I did find 2.6 of other gear take out of my pack to make up for the weight.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GJ22VRM?psc=1

Odd Man Out
01-18-2017, 14:57
I enjoyed reading the comments that suggest the exact things you have rejected in your original post (oh well). Now I'm going to do the same (sorry).

I too am a side sleeper and had a few sleepless nights before I wised up and paid attention to the pillow question. I also tried inflatable pillows and found them like sleeping with your head on a balloon. But I have settled on the Sea to Summit Premium pillow as working well for me. These come in two versions, the Premium and Ultralight. I tried both in the store and found the Ultralight to give me that "head on balloon" feel but the Premium didn't so much. I think the key is the stretchiness of the fabric. If you have rejected the inflatables without trying one of these, I suggest looking into it.