PDA

View Full Version : Ultra-Sil Dry Sack... isn't

HooKooDooKu
01-17-2017, 13:04
I've been using a SeaToSummit Ultra-Sil Dry Sack for my food bag. I camp in GSMNP where each campsite has bear cables.
This weekend, I took a camping trip where most of the 1st night there was a steady rain. When I retrieve my food bag from the bear cables next morning, everything inside was damp or wet.
I know these dry sacks are not intended for marine use... but I expected it to keep things dry while hanging in the rain.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

burger
01-17-2017, 13:40
I have the same bags. They are not waterproof and will take on water in heavy rain. You can increase their waterproofedness (is that a word?) by applying seam sealant inside and outside the bag. More here (it works the same for your bag as your tent floor): http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/Silnylon1/index.html

Cheyou
01-17-2017, 13:58
I just use a grocery store bag inside it

thom

saltysack
01-17-2017, 14:13
Most eventually leak...i started using an odor barrier bag inside my z packs food bag as noticed holes...so use a back up....not sure why though....my food bag is usually with in a dry tent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starchild
01-17-2017, 15:01
Some will use a garbage/compactor bag 'umbrella' over the food bag. Extra rodent protection also. Learn how to do it without making a hole in the plastic bag to hang it (hint use a stick through the inner bag's handle = then put the outer bag over it. ).

MuddyWaters
01-17-2017, 16:27
Reynolds turkey bag as liner
0.5 oz

G-FOURce
01-19-2017, 09:10
I have the same bags. They are not waterproof and will take on water in heavy rain. You can increase their waterproofedness (is that a word?) by applying seam sealant inside and outside the bag. More here (it works the same for your bag as your tent floor): http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/Silnylon1/index.html

If you do try to coat your dry bag, I'd suggest doing the outside first and seeing if that solves the problem. If it does, then skipping the inside has two advantages: 1) the solution solves the problem of the slipperiness of silnylon in addition to improving how waterproof the bag is, so leaving the inside alone means it won't become too "grippy" when loading stuff into the bag; 2) you'd only add half as much additional weight doing one side vs. two, which seems to be a relevant factor since you're using the ultralight nano dry bags

I use these bags for sleeping bag stuff sacks b/c they do add a layer of water protection and because they also function like compression sacks. If you try this solution, post your results here and let us know how it went.