View Full Version : FaceBook

dtzamora13
01-17-2017, 13:29
Just curious... Why wasn't this blog created on facebook? Its free! [emoji57]

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

cneill13
01-17-2017, 13:32
Not everyone has a Facebook account.

Nothing but a bunch of narcissistic losers from what I have seen.

FreeGoldRush
01-17-2017, 13:37
Just curious... Why wasn't this blog created on facebook? Its free! [emoji57]

Eating crushed glass is also free but that doesn't mean you should do it. There are dozens of excellent reasons to never use Facebook, but this isn't the place to discuss them. You'll have to figure it out yourself. :)

Sarcasm the elf
01-17-2017, 13:41
This forum predates FB by several years.

It is also a better and more organized format for question and answer topics. FB groups make it nearly impossible to search for older posts if you are looking for a specific topic.

Cookerhiker
01-17-2017, 13:50
This forum predates FB by several years.

It is also a better and more organized format for question and answer topics. FB groups make it nearly impossible to search for older posts if you are looking for a specific topic.

Agree. FB is arranged linearly in strict chronological order. With WB's structure, you can find the forum pertaining to your interest and see if your question has come up before. If not, it's easy to post a new question.

Many have criticized the WB search capabilities but I find them more than adequate, especially if you focus on the relevant forum(s).

dtzamora13
01-17-2017, 13:57
Yup that is something I didn't consider

dtzamora13
01-17-2017, 13:58
Not everyone has a Facebook account.

Nothing but a bunch of narcissistic losers from what I have seen.
Well, I'm sure not everyone has a WB account at first.. But considering what a user said below... I understand the need for a individual forum.

dtzamora13
01-17-2017, 14:02
Eating crushed glass is also free but that doesn't mean you should do it. There are dozens of excellent reasons to never use Facebook, but this isn't the place to discuss them. You'll have to figure it out yourself. :)
Just asking...

Gambit McCrae
01-17-2017, 14:07
Just asking...

Well you better not ask something like that again you hear me! lol ....

I for one really enjoy that this forum is a forum and not a facebook page. There is enough garbage on there that it doesn't need wb garbage compiled on top of it lol :D

dtzamora13
01-17-2017, 14:13
Well you better not ask something like that again you hear me! lol ....

I for one really enjoy that this forum is a forum and not a facebook page. There is enough garbage on there that it doesn't need wb garbage compiled on top of it lol :D
Everyone is making this such a pleasant experience... So many friendly people... [emoji51]

JC13
01-17-2017, 14:44
Forums generally require one to have thick skin. Not just this one, but pretty much any forum out there. Anonymity of the internets and all that rot.

Greenlight
01-17-2017, 14:50
There's quite a few @$$h01es on here, too. But they're our @$$h01es.

:D

Everyone is making this such a pleasant experience... So many friendly people... [emoji51]

AllDownhillFromHere
01-17-2017, 14:58
Learn to use the "Ignore" feature. Things become much more pleasant.

Also, Facebook sucks. There's a reason Zuckerberg is worth billions. Hint: if you aren't paying, you're the product, not the customer.

josh_ATL
01-17-2017, 21:44
There are several Appalachian Trail groups on Facebook (Class of 2016, Class of 2017, etc.) you can join, but it's more difficult to have a discussion on a specific topic. I use White Blaze a lot because it's super easy to find answers on just about anything related to hiking or AT. I also use Reddit a lot. I's kind of similar to White Blaze in the face you can discuss and find answers on more specific topics. There are several sub-Reddits on things like:

/r/Ultralight
/r/AppalachainTrail
/r/PacificCrestTrail
/r/Camping
/r/Hiking
/r/rGearTrade

and a ton of others I'm not mentioning. Reddit has a ton of users making it very easy to start a discussion and receive input in a very short time.

dtzamora13
01-17-2017, 22:06
There are several Appalachian Trail groups on Facebook (Class of 2016, Class of 2017, etc.) you can join, but it's more difficult to have a discussion on a specific topic. I use White Blaze a lot because it's super easy to find answers on just about anything related to hiking or AT. I also use Reddit a lot. I's kind of similar to White Blaze in the face you can discuss and find answers on more specific topics. There are several sub-Reddits on things like:

/r/Ultralight
/r/AppalachainTrail
/r/PacificCrestTrail
/r/Camping
/r/Hiking
/r/rGearTrade

and a ton of others I'm not mentioning. Reddit has a ton of users making it very easy to start a discussion and receive input in a very short time.
Thanx for the info... And I'm totally agreeing with this now that some peeps have taken the time to explain it. Thank you! [emoji1]

FreeGoldRush
01-17-2017, 22:07
Just asking...

Sorry, but I forget how popular Facebook is and have to be careful of my criticism of that company. There is a reason investors have bid their stock to the moon when Facebook sells a service that is "free". It's obviously not free at all. You just pay for it in a variety of obscure ways and I have decided for myself that the costs far outweigh the benefit of being a user.

4eyedbuzzard
01-17-2017, 22:33
Sorry, but I forget how popular Facebook is and have to be careful of my criticism of that company. There is a reason investors have bid their stock to the moon when Facebook sells a service that is "free". It's obviously not free at all. You just pay for it in a variety of obscure ways and I have decided for myself that the costs far outweigh the benefit of being a user.

...There's a reason Zuckerberg is worth billions. Hint: if you aren't paying, you're the product, not the customer.
It's not obscure at all. It's mining your browser data and selling the results to companies that target ads based upon other websites you have visited. Facebook looks at the browser pages you recently visited including searches and sells that info to advertisers. That's why you get targeted ads for stuff you've been looking at (even indirectly related stuff) on your facebook and other web pages.

FreeGoldRush
01-17-2017, 23:55
It's not obscure at all. It's mining your browser data and selling the results to companies that target ads based upon other websites you have visited. Facebook looks at the browser pages you recently visited including searches and sells that info to advertisers. That's why you get targeted ads for stuff you've been looking at (even indirectly related stuff) on your facebook and other web pages.

That is certainly true but it just barely scratches the surface. Facebook is no longer valued based on ad revenue alone. They collect an incredible number of data points on each user that goes way beyond just the information you post at the website or web pages you visit. Facebook has also successfully demonstrated that they can influence user beliefs based on information they either show or hide from users. They have shown strong statistical results in this area. Facebook has also invested heavily in creating censorship tools on a number of different levels. They have spent many millions on that. The list goes on and on. I own a successful data mining company and I can assure you that the number of ways Facebook impacts (and likely impacts) your life will just make your head spin. It's not nearly as benign as simply controlling the advertisements you see.

rafe
01-18-2017, 00:25
^^^ so, it takes one to know one, eh? ;)

4eyedbuzzard
01-18-2017, 07:02
That is certainly true but it just barely scratches the surface. Facebook is no longer valued based on ad revenue alone. They collect an incredible number of data points on each user that goes way beyond just the information you post at the website or web pages you visit. Facebook has also successfully demonstrated that they can influence user beliefs based on information they either show or hide from users. They have shown strong statistical results in this area. Facebook has also invested heavily in creating censorship tools on a number of different levels. They have spent many millions on that. The list goes on and on. I own a successful data mining company and I can assure you that the number of ways Facebook impacts (and likely impacts) your life will just make your head spin. It's not nearly as benign as simply controlling the advertisements you see.
Unfortunately, I believe you are correct. I was just giving the most obvious example. As an insider, perhaps you could elaborate? It's an interesting subject.

Tundracamper
01-18-2017, 07:50

Which is why I deleted my FB app last year. It became obvious to me that the goal was to manipulate society

rafe
01-18-2017, 07:55
Which is why I deleted my FB app last year. It became obvious to me that the goal was to manipulate society

Don't be silly. The motivation is profit, first and foremost. Ideology has nothing to do with it.

bigcranky
01-18-2017, 08:00
If you're not paying for something, then you're not the customer, you're the product being sold. FB makes all its money selling your personal information. Nothing wrong with that as long as the user understands it.

FreeGoldRush
01-18-2017, 09:29
Unfortunately, I believe you are correct. I was just giving the most obvious example. As an insider, perhaps you could elaborate? It's an interesting subject.

Let's have a good conversation on a few miles of trail instead of here. Inevitably there are people who say things like, "but if I'm not doing anything wrong then why do I care about all the spying and data mining?" Somehow people have been successfully brainwashed into believing all Facebook actions have something to do with morals, ethics, or right/wrong. That simply is not true. But there are many who discount it all with one broad brush based on that belief.

Grandscale
01-18-2017, 11:03
And... Welcome to whiteblaze.net

Five Tango
01-19-2017, 16:15
I am reminded of an old saying."You can run but you cannot hide."The government is spying on your every move as are the marketing departments of major corporations.Orwell was a prophet........but you have nothing to hide,right?

MuddyWaters
01-19-2017, 23:23
If you're not paying for something, then you're not the customer, you're the product being sold. FB makes all its money selling your personal information. Nothing wrong with that as long as the user understands it.

Kids quit using facebook a long time ago. Like 5-10 yrs.

Vines
Instagram
Twitter
Snapchat

The only people using facebook are middle aged people with too much time on hands, reposting stupid crap all day long. Its actually been dead to next generation for a long time.

Toolumpy
01-19-2017, 23:42
As a paying member I get well worth my money.

salsi
01-20-2017, 00:44
I use both facebook and whiteblaze, but I find whiteblaze to be much better organized and administrated.