PDA

View Full Version : Section recommendations for Central VA 30-40 miles

rwd111
01-17-2017, 18:16
I'm planning to hike a 30-40 mile section in Central VA during the summer.. Any thoughts and recommendations? I requested similar advice last year and the consensus was a 40 mile from Damascus through Grayson Highlands.. It was a great hike so I'm looking for more ideas this year. Anything starting or ending near Waynesboro will be a plus but not necessary.. Thanks!

Slo-go'en
01-17-2017, 18:30
Dragons tooth / McAfee knob / Tinker cliffs is the most scenic section in Central VA, but can be busy with day hikers as a result. VA 621 to Daleville US11 would be 42 miles, most of which is pretty easy.

Cookerhiker
01-17-2017, 18:49
Grayson Highlands is nice but it's hardly "Central Virginia." Since you want to end near Waynesboro, why not start 40-odd miles south where the AT parallels the Blue Ridge Parkway? I don't have my mileage book available but I think you'd start where the trail crosses Rt. 56 and hike north. Of course that means you start with a 3,000' ascent up Three Ridges - after that, it'll seem easy. You could also look into starting at Reed's Gap on the BRP and hiking north.

01-17-2017, 19:30
Based on where you want to end, james river bridge to waynesborro going north, or Thoren gap in SNP south to waynesborro. Many shuttle's to check with for rides, check ATC site. Let the frogs put you to sleep on the first option, I remember one of the shelters is in front of a pond, it was so loud. Both options have multiple places to end early as they cross the Blue-ridge pky and skyline drive multiple times. 3 springs hostel and multibello are hostels or bed and breakfasts on the 1st option.

johnnybgood
01-17-2017, 19:49
Hiking southbound from Reeds Gap to Buena Vista is about 36 miles which would be easier hiking albeit still tough. This section has scenic vistas right out the car as you ascend up Bee Mountain to Hanging Rock, which is an expansive rock shelf with a spectacular view overlooking what is known as the Three Ridges .

Onward and upward will take you over those three ridges before descending down to Harpers Creek, which is one of the most beautiful settings in the Spring.
There is a shelter with campsites and nearby a babbling creek which is where I would camel up before going further. The Tye River Valley has you at your lowest elevation and the climb to The Priest will take you to your highest elevation in roughly 4 miles. This is an outstanding section and will be an incredible hike for you .

If you desire to end near Rockfish Gap (Waynesboro) , flip this around and get shuttled to Rt.60 near Buena Vista. There are plenty shuttle drivers in Waynesboro.

Cookerhiker
01-17-2017, 20:42
Based on where you want to end, james river bridge to waynesborro going north, or Thoren gap in SNP south to waynesborro. ....

He only wants to hike 30-40 miles. Those stretches are much longer.

Slo-go'en
01-17-2017, 20:53
The Priest and Three Ridges is the area where the thru hikers start swearing and realize who ever told them Virginia is flat, lied to them. But Harpers Creek shelter is in a really nice setting.

rwd111
01-18-2017, 09:31
Great suggestion.. this section was suggestion last year also. Thanks

Gambit McCrae
01-18-2017, 09:55
Dragons tooth / McAfee knob / Tinker cliffs is the most scenic section in Central VA, but can be busy with day hikers as a result. VA 621 to Daleville US11 would be 42 miles, most of which is pretty easy.

^^^^About as good as your gunna get right here.

SNP

Spreading outward from central VA - Grayson Highlands - Go from Damascus to Fox Creek. (not what your asking for I know)