PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take you to recover from a hike?

dcdennis
01-17-2017, 18:40
Just curious to hear others experiences. I did a 27 mile section last weekend over two days. Not my longest but close to it. I got home and slept for 13 hours and am feeling like I could sleep for another 12 tonight (which I just might :P).

how about you?

Puddlefish
01-17-2017, 18:56
After 600 miles this spring, I was feeling healthy, energetic, rested and ready to go for more... except for the ligament in my knee that took a solid 5 months to heal. The plantar fasciitis in my left foot took 4 months to heal. 7 months later, it's looking like the plantar fasciitis in my right foot is going to be with me for life.

It was a month into the hike before I managed 27 miles in two days. Had I stopped at two days into the hike, I'd probably have slept half a day as well.

Storm
01-17-2017, 19:18
If I take it easy at the start and listen to my body and not push my limits I usually only have one thing to recover from. Still want to eat everything is sight fore several days after the hike.

hikernutcasey
01-17-2017, 19:31
Half an hour

saltysack
01-17-2017, 20:00
A six pack of Sierra Nevada is all it takes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4eyedbuzzard
01-17-2017, 20:14
It depends upon the terrain and how many miles I do. Typically anything over 8 miles per day in the Whites will leave me pretty tired and with some leg soreness for about two days. On lesser trails, anything over 10 to 12 (terrain dependent) will have the same effect. But even though I walk 5+ miles per day between walking at work and at home, hiking up and down mountains with even a light pack isn't "just walking" (well, even though it kind of is). It's a lot more physically demanding, and I don't hike enough to be in good hiking shape. Sleep wise, I probably sleep maybe 9 hours for a few days after, as opposed to my more normal 6 1/2 to 7 hours. But likely a lot of that has to do with age - 60, and definitely don't recover as quickly or as well as I did 25 years ago. :o

Cheyou
01-17-2017, 20:28
I took me a while to recover from Pennsylvanias rocks.

thom

MuddyWaters
01-17-2017, 20:31
Mentally,... forever.

Physically...a week or so

rafe
01-17-2017, 21:00
The more often you do it, the less it hurts afterwards.

Cheyou
01-17-2017, 21:08
Is recovery gaining back all the fat lost on the trail ??? If not long

thom

josh_ATL
01-17-2017, 21:30
I still to this day walk funny, and do the "hiker hobble" for a little while when I first get out of bed. I kind of doubt you can ever heal completely after a thru hike, instead your body just learns to adapt to increased levels of pain.

ScareBear
01-17-2017, 21:47
After 600 miles this spring, I was feeling healthy, energetic, rested and ready to go for more... except for the ligament in my knee that took a solid 5 months to heal. The plantar fasciitis in my left foot took 4 months to heal. 7 months later, it's looking like the plantar fasciitis in my right foot is going to be with me for life.

It was a month into the hike before I managed 27 miles in two days. Had I stopped at two days into the hike, I'd probably have slept half a day as well.

I feel your pain. Plantar fasciitis is a real bummer. It took me over 5 months to get to 90 percent on the right foot and it looks like 90 percent is going to be my max recovery. Meh.

Funny thing is, while the rebuilt knee was painful, it was predictably so. And, the pain was something that I became used to. But the plantar fasciitis was like having your heel step on a red-hot Lego every time you took a step. The only thing that turned the corner was 7 weeks in an pneumatic isolation boot, first two weeks on crutches. That and Vitamin I and steroid injections into....yeah....the heel...and, I developed Achilles's Tendonitis along the way to go with it...double-whammy...

Of course, once you've had it in one foot...guess what...you are likely going to get it in the other foot...

Deacon
01-17-2017, 21:50
Is recovery gaining back all the fat lost on the trail ??? If not long

thom

It takes me about three months to quell my hiker appetite to the point I can eat sensibly in the presence of other people.

When we go out to eat with another couple, I'm the first one finished. Then I sit there watching others eat. I start picking from my wife's plate, and eventually she pushes her plate toward me. The other couple look at me with blank stares and I start to gorge her food. I catch myself then realize I'm making a fool of myself. I then explain the effect of hiking on the appetite.

Once my appetite is back to "normal", then I consider myself recovered.

johnnybgood
01-17-2017, 22:31
With limited vacation time to hike it seems the natural tendency is to do as much as possible with the time you have . Couple that with a few pounds gained with months of inactivity while chasing the dollar ...it takes days to even a week to fully recover.

Hikingjim
01-17-2017, 23:16
Typically not much physical recovery. Usually after a week or two out I come back feeling great then sink into a bit of a mental malaise a bit after, but that passes

AfterParty
01-18-2017, 00:38
Just missing the pack takes a minute

shelb
01-18-2017, 02:25
The more often you do it, the less it hurts afterwards.

True, that.

When I do short backpacking trips (30 or less), I find I have minimal - if any - recovery time. However, when I do a significant number of miles (like 100-200 _ and those miles are pretty dense (meaning 8-20 miles a day), I will feel it for a few weeks!

And yes, the PA rocks made me hurt for a while! I did just over 100 miles (last half of PA) in 8 days, and my feet hurt for WEEKS later!!!!

Helpful hints:
Train! OFF road ... in the woods, on rocks, up and down stairs!
Endurance! Put lengthy time in on occasion. This means go up/down stairs for TWO hours of more! Walk in the woods for several hours... Do the stepper machine at the gym for longer periods of time.
LIGHTEN YOUR LOAD! Your backpack - with one day's water and 4 days of food - should be under 35#. (Mine will be under 20!). This makes it much easier to go up mountains!

Leo L.
01-18-2017, 04:51
Being an old guy, it takes some time to recover, and being aware of this I'm pretty careful to not overdo it, so that my typical recovery consists of one pretty quiet day including a hot bath and lots of food (pizza and beer being the ones I like most), followed by another day with lots of muscle ache, more food&drink, and on the third day I usually feel myself eager to start moving again, not a hike but some easy walking.
And sleep as much as the body demands.
Recovery takes longer if I spend lots of time sitting in the office.
If recovery is worse than the above I know I did something wrong.

Did some training hikes recently when I've covered 100km (62 miles) in a 25hrs nonstop action, and it took me almost a week to regain my normal posture again and another week to get free of the painful hobble in the morning, so that was too much for me obviousely.

egilbe
01-18-2017, 08:29
Did 150 miles over 13 days from BSP to Caratunk and it only took a couple days staying at the Caratunk B&B gorging on milkshakes and burgers to fully recover. Conversely, Climbed Madison with a too heavy pack Saturday and my legs still hurt today. Tomorrow they should be fine...I hope.

Thinspace
01-18-2017, 16:58
I don't get out anywhere near as often as I used to. I did my first winter climb in a number of years a month ago. It was a short 5 mile round trip up Mt. Roberts in the lakes region of NH. I broke trail through 6" of fresh snow all the way with the snow a little deeper up top. My calves were barking at me for about 4 days afterwards! I'm almost 68 so the old legs aren't what they used to be. My winter boots are far too heavy which doesn't help.

Greenlight
01-18-2017, 18:16
I'm with you, though I've discovered Smuttynose "Finestkind IPA" and it reigns supreme over my Sierra Nevadas, Upland Brewery's "Dragonfly IPA" and Founder's "All Day IPA." These are my four most favoritest quaffs on Mother Earth. An easy fifth is Kona Brewing's "Castaway IPA." All of them wash away any residual post-hike ails, trading ails for ales.

A six pack of Sierra Nevada is all it takes...

saltysack
01-18-2017, 18:23
I'm not a believer in having to hike to get in hiking shape.....sure wish my daily fitness routine was hiking! I've never had any issues staring out doing 15-20 miles per day for up to about 2 weeks at a time.

jefals
01-18-2017, 18:35
Twice now, my hikes have cone to an end due to a knee issue. both times it took about a month of "doing nothing" for the knee to heal. Then it took 6 months of exercise to recover from that one month of doing nothing!

August W.
01-20-2017, 09:22
A good night's sleep, a hearty breakfast, two cups of tea, and it's time to get on the trail. Too much stopping, sitting, standing around, life indoors and in the front country is much more taxing and requires more recovery time.

loguon_theguy
01-20-2017, 10:49
I get a serious case of the munchies after a couple of days on the trail. Nothing a few burgers can't fix :)

Old Hiker
01-20-2017, 22:42
I still to this day walk funny, and do the "hiker hobble" for a little while when I first get out of bed. I kind of doubt you can ever heal completely after a thru hike, instead your body just learns to adapt to increased levels of pain.

This for me as well. Did the summit on 03 OCT 2016. Was taking 1 Aleve, 2 Motrin and/or 2 Extra strength Tylenol per day for 5+ months.

Shoulders still hurt, but not as much.
Feet still hurt when I first get up out of bed. Still wobble. Have not had to take pain meds in 2 months, tho. PF in both feet.
Knees still get stiff if I sit for an hour or two.
Going DOWN stairs I have to use the rails. Up the stairs, no probs at all. Go figure.

On the Trail - in bed usually before the sun went down. Up with the sun. Usually slept well after right ankle pains settled down.

Best day BEFORE PA - 21.5 miles. Not many over 18, though. AFTER PA, best days not over 17. Legs, feet, ankles and knees beat to pieces. Pain meds upped in dosage after PA.

Lost 50 pounds - have gained 30 back due to moderate inactivity. Hoping to have stabilized and begin slow reduction.

Mentally: still bitter over Trail layout and location. Just barely starting to recall the good points. I do watch AT videos and get wistful for cooler weather and hiking for the day.

Dogwood
01-20-2017, 23:06
How long does it take you to recover from a hike?
I hike to recover.

salsi
01-21-2017, 02:15
it takes a while for the longer trips mentally for me, but physically it only takes about a day

Engine
01-21-2017, 05:05
... I do watch AT videos and get wistful for cooler weather and hiking for the day.

If we ever get a cool spell, come on up to Ocala and we can knock out a day on the FT. The trail is really nice up this way.

johnspenn
01-21-2017, 11:09
For me (closing in on 50) it's all about conditioning. If I've been good about conditioning, a stout hike will make me tired the next day. Without it, I'm sore and tired for a couple/few days.

Seatbelt
01-21-2017, 13:11
For me (closing in on 50) it's all about conditioning. If I've been good about conditioning, a stout hike will make me tired the next day. Without it, I'm sore and tired for a couple/few days.
This^^ I believe there is a co-relation between pre-hike physical prep and post-hike recovery.

ScareBear
01-21-2017, 14:58
This for me as well. Did the summit on 03 OCT 2016. Was taking 1 Aleve, 2 Motrin and/or 2 Extra strength Tylenol per day for 5+ months.

Shoulders still hurt, but not as much.
Feet still hurt when I first get up out of bed. Still wobble. Have not had to take pain meds in 2 months, tho. PF in both feet.
Knees still get stiff if I sit for an hour or two.
Going DOWN stairs I have to use the rails. Up the stairs, no probs at all. Go figure.

On the Trail - in bed usually before the sun went down. Up with the sun. Usually slept well after right ankle pains settled down.

Best day BEFORE PA - 21.5 miles. Not many over 18, though. AFTER PA, best days not over 17. Legs, feet, ankles and knees beat to pieces. Pain meds upped in dosage after PA.

Lost 50 pounds - have gained 30 back due to moderate inactivity. Hoping to have stabilized and begin slow reduction.

Mentally: still bitter over Trail layout and location. Just barely starting to recall the good points. I do watch AT videos and get wistful for cooler weather and hiking for the day.

If you are still bitter over the layout and location of the AT(I can't really get my head around how that works...) and can only now barely start to recall the good times, you may have PTSD. Your thru hike sounds more like survival of a death-march than an adventure of a lifetime...

I am being serious. If you are angry about your completed thru hike and unable to recall any pleasure from it, you have been traumatized. You may want to talk to somebody. I understand that you are disappointed with the way it went, but to be so unhappy 5 months after it ended is not a good sign...just sayin...

rocketsocks
01-21-2017, 17:18
If you are still bitter over the layout and location of the AT(I can't really get my head around how that works...) and can only now barely start to recall the good times, you may have PTSD. Your thru hike sounds more like survival of a death-march than an adventure of a lifetime...

I am being serious. If you are angry about your completed thru hike and unable to recall any pleasure from it, you have been traumatized. You may want to talk to somebody. I understand that you are disappointed with the way it went, but to be so unhappy 5 months after it ended is not a good sign...just sayin...
PSTD;
posta tarsal stress disorder???

ScareBear
01-21-2017, 20:14
PSTD;
posta tarsal stress disorder???

Post Tendonitis Sacroiliac Disorder?

Seriously though, dude's in a bad way. I've never seen such cognitive dissonance. Kudos to him for sticking it out, I guess.

So, I guess there is a lesson to be learned here...if you aren't digging it by Harper's Ferry, bail...just sayin...

I mean...I wouldn't stay in a marriage 5 months if it caused me that much pain and anger...

rafe
01-21-2017, 23:35
I mean...I wouldn't stay in a marriage 5 months if it caused me that much pain and anger...

I have considered that analogy many times. Way back when, there was tremendous social pressure to keep a marriage intact. Couples stayed together even after they'd come to hate each other. Is that really a good thing? Nowadays, not quite as much stigma about divorce.

rocketsocks
01-22-2017, 01:29
Post Tendonitis Sacroiliac Disorder?

Seriously though, dude's in a bad way. I've never seen such cognitive dissonance. Kudos to him for sticking it out, I guess.

So, I guess there is a lesson to be learned here...if you aren't digging it by Harper's Ferry, bail...just sayin...

I mean...I wouldn't stay in a marriage 5 months if it caused me that much pain and anger...a ballistic rock plate in the forefoot can prolong a marriage, but be careful of high hill shoes.

rocketsocks
01-22-2017, 01:32
In incidentally it took me about two weeks to recover from the PA rocks, dastardly do-littles they are.

Engine
01-22-2017, 06:56
Maybe the end result of being too goal oriented? A must reach Katahdin at all costs OCD kind of focus is great, if the process is bringing something positive into your life. But if the OCD is bring nothing but pain and anguish, the end doen't justify the means. It seems like his time would have better spent elsewhere.

ScareBear
01-22-2017, 10:03
In incidentally it took me about two weeks to recover from the PA rocks, dastardly do-littles they are.

Which is why I don't often hike in trail runners. I like the near-complete isolation a thick Vibram sole, full shank, full rand and green SuperFeet provide me on the rocks...YMMV...

Hangfire
01-24-2017, 02:10
I finished my thru in October of '14 and it wasn't until mid summer (early August) '15 that I felt fully recovered. Walking a thousand miles on tendonitis ankles didn't help, and though it wasn't debilitating pain it really lingered on.

Wyoming
01-24-2017, 16:37
Wow at the responses.

I may just be lucky but in my 60's I still average in the low 20's per day and last year had a 35 mile day. With no pain or aftereffects.

If one is going out hiking and is sore the next day then you exceeded your level of conditioning. The same applies to a week hike in that if it takes you days to recover you were not in good enough shape to do what you did. You hurt yourself.

Other than my formerly badly broken back I have no issues of pain from hiking even after hundreds of miles and don't think in general that anyone should. I don't take vitamin I even for the back unless it hurts too bad to go to sleep..let alone any pills during the day. If you have to do that something is being done wrong.

If you are in full hiking condition when you start a hike - as you should be then you will not likely have any issues at all. Full condition means you have steadily worked up to your thru hike daily distance in a training mode where at least a couple of weeks before your thru starts you have done a 100+ mile week with a pack in the mountains. If you are not doing this then you are starting in partial shape and asking for injuries - as you are all describing and have witnessed. Feet and knees take a lot longer to get ready for this than muscles do. Your ligaments and tendons need to get used to the stresses you are putting on them. Almost all problems like plantar fasciitis, tendonitis, shin splints are due to doing too much too soon too fast. When they start you MUST stop and heal or they will almost always get worse - especially plantar fasciitis as it is a hike ender. Gradually building up your conditioning eliminates all most all of these types of problems. Buying a new kind of shoe and just taking off and doing big miles is another big cause as well.

Hiking poles reduce the incidence of knee problems significantly as you can use them to stabilize your walking and reduce impact on the downhills.

Re hiker gimp and foot pain. If your feet are getting really sore then your shoes don't work for your body. There is no reason to have really sore feet other than the shoes have too soft of soles. I hike here in AZ which has much worse rocks than any part of the AT and I never have sore feet. Stiff in the morning yes - I am old and all of me is stiff in the morning - except the part I might want to be. If your feet are getting really sore then you likely need a harder soled shoe. Some of us are tougher than the others. I need hard soled shoes as I discovered a long time ago on the AT as I hobbled up the trail with really painful feet. But the outfitter at Harpers Ferry put me into a hard soled shoe and I have never looked back.

Now if you are pushing really hard on purpose the story is different of course. Anish talks about how much pain she is in when doing an FKT. But that makes sense. If you are pushing your limits to see what you can do then pain comes with the territory and injury is a distinct possibility.

Seatbelt
01-25-2017, 10:02
{I hike here in AZ which has much worse rocks than any part of the AT and I never have sore feet.}

This is amazing to me. Where in AZ are the rocks worse than PA or NY? Got any pics? I'm not doubting you, just curious since I have never hiked in AZ.
As a side note, I have hiked extensively in the mountains of PA where rock and boulder fields are commonplace and I find that after a whole day of hiking my feet are somewhat sore. By comparison, I can hike for days on other portions of the AT with no foot problems of any kind.