PDA

View Full Version : Any Experience with the Big Agnes Double Z Sleeping Pad? Will I freeze?

powderhound
01-18-2017, 02:30
Can anyone comment on the BA Double Z sleeping pad in regards to warmth, comfort, and durability? It's on sale on number of sites and I'm tempted to get one. I've been using a NeoAir (2.5" with 3.2 R-value), and while it's served me well for years, most nights I find myself struggling without being able to sleep on my side. My biggest concern is warmth--I like to hike in the high Sierra in CA (I've done the JMT and will probably do it again this summer), the Uintas in UT, and the Sawtooths in ID. I backpack late spring through early fall and have a 20 degree down bag and sleep in thermals. I haven't had issues with being cold in the past, but I've never slept on a mat with a lower R value before. Will I notice a big difference going down to the Double Z with a 1.5 R-value? The extra weight (and cost) of a more insulated 4" thick pad is enough of a deterrent to make me stick with what I have if the Double Z will leave me freezing.

Is the 4" Double Z that much more comfortable than something like the 2.5" thick NeoAir? Is it as durable? Would an emergency blanket under the pad help keep me warm on really cold nights?

powderhound
01-19-2017, 22:23
Well I picked up a Double Z on sale and have to say it's much more comfortable than my NeoAir. I'll try it out this summer and see if it's too cold, but for how comfortable it is when I'm laying on my side I'm willing to risk being cold. I'll bring an emergency blanket to line the floor of my tent just in case.

jcreamer
01-19-2017, 22:49
I have the insulated double Z and it is extremely comfortable. Certainly not light weight but not so heavy I exclude it either. Carried it for 2 weeks on the AT last fall and it was wonderful. Besides weight, it is a little bulky. I'm def not an ultra lighter but I try to watch what I carry. But as I approach 50 I find sleeping comfort to be very important to me. This pad is like a drug. When I lay down on it, I'm out for the night. I'm a side sleeper too, btw.
JC

lilbear
01-20-2017, 00:33
I too am a side sleeper, compounded with a hip condition. I'd wake up still and miserable on most pads. Last summer I got the Big Agnes Q-Core SL sleeping pad. I have honestly never slept better. I like the integration of the vertical/horizonal tubes, it felt a little less like a floaty device than most inflatables did to me. It's got a higher R value and (I believe) is lighter than the double z. The R value is 4.5 and regular length weighs 1lb 2oz. There's a heavier insulated version as well, but this suits me well for even chilly fall nights in the Midwest and March on Springer. My 50lb dog has walked across it, and so far it's survived without issue (though I discourage him from doing so). It's one of my favorite pieces of gear, honestly.

It was recently discontinued, but you can still find them pretty easily on backcountrygear and similar websites last I checked.

Good luck!

lilbear
01-20-2017, 00:37
Here's the mummy version of the pad (I have the regular rectangle version) at Moosejaw on clearance. It's listed at 3.5in thick too, and the mummy version brings the weight down to 16oz per specs.

http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_Big-Agnes-Q-Core-SL-Insulated-Mummy-Pad_10210855_10208_10000001_-1_

powderhound
01-21-2017, 00:58
That Q-Core SL is a nice looking bag! I didn't even know about it.

Grunt
01-21-2017, 16:52
I've had the DZ for three years and I will say it is very comfortable.... it's nice and wide; ain't light and is a bear to blow up after hiking all day, but the trade off is better nights sleep. After many years of section hiking the AT with various sleeping pads, I will say that I believe you should invest in one that provides insulation.... late fall, early spring still can be chilly and honestly I've felt the cold on a few occasions. I've seen the prices lately and you can get a good deal on them now, but good deals won't keep off the chill.