PDA

View Full Version : What's your active mid layer?

Cheyou
01-18-2017, 10:36
Now using a 8oz fleece. Any lighter, packs smaller choices with about the same warmth?

thom

Starchild
01-18-2017, 11:00
If you want to be a bit damp and clammy a 99 cent emergency poncho might give you the same warmth, pack much smaller and be much lighter perhaps a oz or two..

Engine
01-18-2017, 11:22
A midweight Capilene 1/4 zip provides a nice balance of warmth to weight at around 6.8 ounces in a size medium.

Henry8
01-18-2017, 12:24
I use a light weight fleece with the sleeves cut short and hemmed above the elbow. Saves a little weight and easier to layer.

Lyle
01-18-2017, 13:56
I usually use a light or mid weight wool layer if extra insulation is necessary between my base and outer layers. I no longer carry fleece, too heavy and bulky. PolyPro, Wool, and Primaloft make up my "active layers". Silk for a dry sleeping layer, and a down bag. Has served me very well in conditions from hot, humid eastern summers, dry western summers, and cold, wet eastern winters.

Keeping active layers synthetic and/or wool, means I'm not up a creek without any paddle if my down bag, somehow, becomes too wet to be effective (it's never happened, but is a possibility at some point). SOME synthetics in your system are like insurance - normally not needed, until they are. For the same reason, I do not count on wearing all of my clothes to bed in order to sleep comfortably. I want the insurance for the EXTRA cold, unexpected nights.

Greenlight
01-18-2017, 14:14
First generation coyote brown Army polypro. They're warm. They were free. I already owned them. Nothing on the market has tempted me enough to switch. Yet.

Now using a 8oz fleece. Any lighter, packs smaller choices with about the same warmth?

thom

Greenlight
01-18-2017, 14:48
I could pick your brain like a buzzard, Lyle. Did you fill out the google forms survey I posted a few months ago that asks what gear you carry? I'd love to know. I'm one of those guys who often chooses not to learn from my own mistakes if someone has already made the trip and reported back...

https://goo.gl/forms/ugSJ8a7QLmt8skao1

I usually use a light or mid weight wool layer if extra insulation is necessary between my base and outer layers. I no longer carry fleece, too heavy and bulky. PolyPro, Wool, and Primaloft make up my "active layers". Silk for a dry sleeping layer, and a down bag. Has served me very well in conditions from hot, humid eastern summers, dry western summers, and cold, wet eastern winters.

Keeping active layers synthetic and/or wool, means I'm not up a creek without any paddle if my down bag, somehow, becomes too wet to be effective (it's never happened, but is a possibility at some point). SOME synthetics in your system are like insurance - normally not needed, until they are. For the same reason, I do not count on wearing all of my clothes to bed in order to sleep comfortably. I want the insurance for the EXTRA cold, unexpected nights.

Rmcpeak
01-18-2017, 19:30
Patagucci R1 hooded fleece has been great for me. I can dial in a nice temp with combination of zip, hand warmers, etc. Ain't cheap but has been a good piece.

saltysack
01-18-2017, 20:21
Patagucci R1 hooded fleece has been great for me. I can dial in a nice temp with combination of zip, hand warmers, etc. Ain't cheap but has been a good piece.

That's similar to the lighter cap 4 1/4 zip (thermal wt) hoody...great piece around 6-7 oz....with wind or rain shell good down to teens on the move....dries quick also...had it several years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

egilbe
01-18-2017, 20:26
I layer another 100 fleece on top of my R1 just so I can watch the frost form on the outer fleece when its really cold. Apparently the wicking layers work to move the moisture to the surface.

gbolt
01-18-2017, 20:50
I use a Patogonia Capiline 4 Pro Zip is my go to layer. It is 9.4oz and ended up lighter and warmer than my REI Half Zip Polartec Mid Layer. I also like to put a Wind Shirt over it to really lock in heat.

Cheyou
01-18-2017, 21:38
Well I'm trying something new . Hope it works

https://marmot.com/products/details/isotherm-half-zip?special=true

saltysack
01-18-2017, 21:45
I use a Patogonia Capiline 4 Pro Zip is my go to layer. It is 9.4oz and ended up lighter and warmer than my REI Half Zip Polartec Mid Layer. I also like to put a Wind Shirt over it to really lock in heat.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

josh_ATL
01-18-2017, 22:24
Ibex Woolies hoody or North Face TKA 100 fleece

iAmKrzys
01-18-2017, 22:40
I use Patagonia Micro D full-zip fleece jacket. Pleasant to touch but hand pockets don't have zippers.

fastfoxengineering
01-18-2017, 23:46
A wind shirt to some people replaces a midlayer fleece. I'd like to get something like the Patagonia expedition weight hoodie and a windshirt over that

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Pondjumpr
01-19-2017, 16:51
I second lightweight wool as a base layer or mid-layer. One reason I like it so much is that even when I start warming up, I never seem to overheat like I do in Polypro or some other synthetics. I have heard of ultra runners running in 90+ degree heat wearing long sleeve wool. Synthetics are great but wool is, IMO, still what all synthetics are trying to duplicate.

TN James
01-19-2017, 17:23

I second the R1

hyperslug
01-19-2017, 18:11
After reading about another hiker using a Berghaus VapouLight Smock, I bought one to replace my fleece. My large weighs 5.7 oz, has a very long neck zipper, and is reversible. It has a thin layer of synthetic unsulation that light shines through. The concept is that if you wear it one way it is not as warm as when you reverse it. Apparently one side is more wind resistant. I have had it on the trail about 6 days and still haven't decided if the reversible part works. It seems less breathable than fleece but also warmer. I can layer my 7 oz down anorak over it and it replaces one of my heavier down jackets and is more versatile.

cmoulder
01-19-2017, 18:47
100-wt Chameece, 150-wt fleece or Patagooch R1 with a Montbell Versalite over it... lotsa warmth and ventability (for temp control) for the weight.

Cheyou
01-20-2017, 07:20
Does the R1 use the same grid fleece as usmc or army long underwear? Power dry grid ?

Thom

cmoulder
01-20-2017, 08:02
I'm not familiar with the military items but it does have the grid.

Secondmouse
01-20-2017, 11:37

some people are transitioning away from fleece for the reasons you mention. I'm in the South and in certain temps/weather I'm trying a heavier Smartwool 250 NTS topped only with a windshirt (and shell if needed) instead of thin baselayer and fleece. still experimenting and actively watching this thread...

egilbe
01-20-2017, 14:20
Probably made by patagucci, so yes.

lwhikerchris
01-20-2017, 14:28
R1 fleece zip

Praha4
01-20-2017, 19:42
I use an Icebreaker 150-wt merino wool zip neck long sleeve top

MuddyWaters
01-20-2017, 22:38
Mid layer, implies theres an outer layer, which isnt neccessarilly the case.

I might use UL long sleeve shirt, UL long john top, or 100 wt fleece hoody depending on conditions. Temp has to be at least mid 30s or windy to use fleece.