PDA

View Full Version : Facebook resources

Connie
01-19-2017, 02:06
For example, UL food http://www.21stcenturysimpleliving.com/?p=3325

I have been following "21st Century Simple Living" and "Dehydrating Divas & Dudes" and "Backcountry Meal Planning for Thru Hikers"

I like hot soup for hiking.

There is eggplant bacon. They help with dehydration.

..great resource.

Venchka
01-19-2017, 17:29
I would sooner carry cans of Dinty Moore Beef Stew and Wolf Brand Chili than join Facebook.
I'm glad that you find it educational.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hikingjim
01-19-2017, 17:37
I would sooner carry cans of Dinty Moore Beef Stew and Wolf Brand Chili than join Facebook.
Wayne

Not sure why you clicked into a facebook resources thread then! Although my attitude towards it is similar at times. The only hiking thing I've used on there is this "gear flea market".

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BearfootsHikingGearFleaMarket/

Some good stuff comes up there, and lots of buyers if you're selling

llittle_llama
01-22-2017, 20:23
Personally I don't like FB either, but why all the negativity? Like Jim said, you did come into a FB thread on your own... Was it just to complain about FB?

tour-kid
01-22-2017, 20:40
Appalachian trail section hikers is a great group.
Helpful, honest, kind, and warm to new members.
Sometimes folks find hiking partners on there.

Maineiac64
01-22-2017, 21:42
Wayne

Very helpful.

rafe
01-22-2017, 22:55
Appalachian trail section hikers is a great group.
Helpful, honest, kind, and warm to new members.
Sometimes folks find hiking partners on there.

Agreed. A good resource especially for folks just getting acquainted with the trail. Very little of the competitiveness or one-upmanship often seen here on Whiteblaze. Lots of photos and trip reports.

Tipi Walter
04-18-2017, 21:02
For example, UL food http://www.21stcenturysimpleliving.com/?p=3325

I have been following "21st Century Simple Living" and "Dehydrating Divas & Dudes" and "Backcountry Meal Planning for Thru Hikers"

I like hot soup for hiking.

There is eggplant bacon. They help with dehydration.

..great resource.

Your link appears to be a regular blog and not a Facebook page. Plus, I find Facebook a poor way to impart knowledge and information on all aspects of backpacking. It's the nature of the beast. Facebook is all about deep scrolling which is a terrible way to learn in my opinion. I much prefer backpacking blogs with better menu choices and easier "deep" access.

Uncle Joe
04-18-2017, 21:12
Your link appears to be a regular blog and not a Facebook page. Plus, I find Facebook a poor way to impart knowledge and information on all aspects of backpacking. It's the nature of the beast. Facebook is all about deep scrolling which is a terrible way to learn in my opinion. I much prefer backpacking blogs with better menu choices and easier "deep" access.

FB is just social in general. I don't know what you mean by "deep" but I think I know what you mean. FB isn't conducive to finding past information. That said, Whiteblaze is cumbersome in that regard too but that's more a limitation of the software. I use FB more to connect with other hikers and share experiences. Most "gear" or specific information is really "drive-by" on FB.

Greenlight
04-18-2017, 21:42
Why? Once you find out what a complete and utter waste of time it is, you'll love it just like "the rest of us."

Wayne

BuckeyeBill
04-19-2017, 04:21
FB is just social in general. I don't know what you mean by "deep" but I think I know what you mean. FB isn't conducive to finding past information. That said, Whiteblaze is cumbersome in that regard too but that's more a limitation of the software. I use FB more to connect with other hikers and share experiences. Most "gear" or specific information is really "drive-by" on FB.

To find information or threads on White Blaze, I use google and put White Blaze as a qualifier. It will dig deep to find older threads. Hope this helps.

BuckeyeBill
04-19-2017, 04:27
Oh, I also agree that FB is not the best place for information. Now like Uncle Joe said you can connect with others who share your interest. I only have an account to stay up to date on my kids and grandchildren. My oldest grandson turned 13 last February and decided he wanted a car or truck out of my shop. He doesn't know it yet, but I already have a 1950 Ford F-1 waiting for him to help me build it his way.

russb
02-13-2018, 12:34
The fB group listed above is different than the blog link. The group on fB is ultra paranoid about spoilage. Their "leader" bans ppl who question her paranoia. For example, she believes beef jerky is unsafe unless it stays frozen.

AllDownhillFromHere
02-13-2018, 12:36
Very helpful.
You guys need better ignore filters.

CalebJ
02-13-2018, 13:20
The fB group listed above is different than the blog link. The group on fB is ultra paranoid about spoilage. Their "leader" bans ppl who question her paranoia. For example, she believes beef jerky is unsafe unless it stays frozen.
Which facebook group are you referring to?

russb
02-27-2018, 12:59
Which facebook group are you referring to? The Dehydrating Divas and Dudes.