PDA

View Full Version : The Sound of Silence- a mis-adventure on the AT

johnspenn
01-19-2017, 07:27
Cathy and I had planned a hike on the AT for the MLK holiday. The plan was flawless but the execution left somewhat to be desired.

Even with all the SNAFUs we enjoyed the day and the hike, for the most part. We will go back soon and do "Plan A" again, this time hopefully with proper execution.

The mistakes we made are detailed in the video. It's a different kind of trip report for me. My apologies to Mountain Wanderer for stealing his method of commentary, and to TiedUp for using one of his song selections. They're both much better at this than me.

The report/video can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-po9uja9vUQ

johnspenn
01-19-2017, 07:56
Additionally, we saw one yellow-tag thru hiker. Early start!

This section was closed for fires, but from Neel Gap to Wolf Laurel Ridge, I didn't notice any burnt sections along the trail.

Patchy
01-19-2017, 08:03
Glad ya'll didn't starve to death! Sometimes I get a little "giddy" when I get to spend some time on the trail. It's magic makes me forget everything else. :-) As the saying goes.... A bad day on the trail is better than a good day at work.

ScareBear
01-19-2017, 08:55
I was almost expecting you to have gotten turned around after your nap and hiked to Hog Pen Gap in the dense fog!

Teacher & Snacktime
01-19-2017, 12:10
I was almost expecting you to have gotten turned around after your nap and hiked to Hog Pen Gap in the dense fog!

Exactly what I was thinking!

Johnspenn,

I feel your pain in this. Our MLK hike had a series of very similar mishaps: left my hiking stick behind (twice), left the keys to the destination car in the start car, etc. Fortunately we NEVER forgot the food, and I'm heartily glad that Cathy was right and you did not starve on your day hike. One minor difference is perhaps if the Sounds of Silence did ever play in my mind it would most definitely been in the voices of Simon and Garfunkel!

I've concluded that this year MLK stood for Memory Loss ......um, something that begins with a K that I can't remember right now. Even so, ours was also a wonderful hike.

Here's to next year!

RangerZ
01-19-2017, 13:11

Johnspenn,

I feel your pain in this. Our MLK hike had a series of very similar mishaps: left my hiking stick behind (twice), left the keys to the destination car in the start car, etc. Fortunately we NEVER forgot the food, and I'm heartily glad that Cathy was right and you did not starve on your day hike. One minor difference is perhaps if the Sounds of Silence did ever play in my mind it would most definitely been in the voices of Simon and Garfunkel!

I've concluded that this year MLK stood for Memory Loss ......um, something that begins with a K that I can't remember right now. Even so, ours was also a wonderful hike.

Here's to next year!

My song last weekend was the Mamas and the Papas' California Dreaming - "All the leaves are brown and the sky is grey, I've been for a walk on a winter's day ..."

Teacher & Snacktime
01-19-2017, 13:36
My song last weekend was the Mamas and the Papas' California Dreaming - "All the leaves are brown and the sky is grey, I've been for a walk on a winter's day ..."

I was "Maryland Dreaming" that song coming down off Lamb's Knoll :) Great minds think alike, and so do ours!

I have a repertoire of 60's-70's songs for hiking.

MkBibble
01-19-2017, 14:45
So, after watching the video, I came back here to say that I expected you to go the wrong way when you woke up... That seems to be a common theme here. Wonder why. LOL!

johnspenn
01-20-2017, 07:16
Glad ya'll didn't starve to death! Sometimes I get a little "giddy" when I get to spend some time on the trail. It's magic makes me forget everything else. :-) As the saying goes.... A bad day on the trail is better than a good day at work.

That's a true saying, and despite our mistakes it was nowhere near a bad day- we did actually thoroughly enjoy our hike!

Fortunately that didn't happen. That really would have made it interesting, because as it was by the time we got back to Neel Gap what little light was left was fading. I can't imaginge trying to hike at night in that soup!

Johnspenn,

Here's to next year!

I left my hiking stick behind once as well... great minds? Fortunately we hadn't gone far (1/4 mile or so) before I realized it.

I always loved the Simon and Garfunkel version of SoS. I do, however, love a well-done cover, and I really thought Disturbed captured the tone and mood of the song really well.

We had a great hike as well. It really was a surreal feeling hiking through the dense fog/clouds and mist.

That's a great song too! May have been appropriate if we coud have seen the sky haha!

So, after watching the video, I came back here to say that I expected you to go the wrong way when you woke up... That seems to be a common theme here. Wonder why. LOL!

It certainly would have been par for the course for us on that day!

Thanks, everyone for watching!

ScareBear
01-20-2017, 08:36
I've forgotten my hiking poles at home once...500 miles away...
Another time I forgot my sleeping pad...2200 miles away...

I ran into a gal on the AT who begged me to take some pictures of her and email them to her. She was on a thru hike and had forgotten her phone...

For the last 10 years or so it's been a proper paper check list for me. YMMV.

johnspenn
01-21-2017, 11:14
For the last 10 years or so it's been a proper paper check list for me. YMMV.

Sometimes I get organized enough for a checklist... but not every time sadly =)