PDA

View Full Version : Need a new winter pack...

MtDoraDave
01-20-2017, 14:09
The REI Mars I bought from a neighbor is about dead, and it I don't want to repair it. I want to replace it.

75 liters should be sufficient...
The two I'm looking at are the REI Yosemite and the Gregory 75 liter that is a pound lighter and only about $30 or $40 more...
Is there a reason not to assume the Gregory is a no brainier?
I'm 5'11", between 165 and 180 with average proportions.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

egilbe
01-20-2017, 14:10
Seek Outside Unaweep

MtDoraDave
01-20-2017, 14:21
The Gregory Stout is the Gregory I was referring to.
Seek outside unaweep? Guess I have some googling to do...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Venchka
01-20-2017, 14:56
After you Google the Unaweep packs, take a look at the ULA Catalyst.
Good luck.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Engine
01-20-2017, 15:07
In my experience Gregory packs are among the toughest and most comfortable around. But, they are heavy when compared to alternatives which provide the same capacity. If the extra pound or so is not an issue for you, you'll end up with one of the most comfortable packs around. If you want something lighter, the ULA packs mentioned above are very nice.

Sarcasm the elf
01-20-2017, 16:29
The Gregory baltoro is my Go-To winter pack, it's a beast and has been good to me for many years.

If your max pack weight is expected to be below 35-40lbs look at the ULA catalysy as well, it's 75 liters and is much lighter, the tradeoff is that it isn't designed to haul huge loads.

G-FOURce
01-20-2017, 16:39
In my experience Gregory packs are among the toughest and most comfortable around. But, they are heavy when compared to alternatives which provide the same capacity. If the extra pound or so is not an issue for you, you'll end up with one of the most comfortable packs around. If you want something lighter, the ULA packs mentioned above are very nice.

The Gregory baltoro is my Go-To winter pack, it's a beast and has been good to me for many years.

If your max pack weight is expected to be below 35-40lbs look at the ULA catalysy as well, it's 75 liters and is much lighter, the tradeoff is that it isn't designed to haul huge loads.

How old are your packs? I ask this b/c I was a Gregory fanboy for 20+ years, but the last two packs I have bought of theirs have been very uncomfortable. My old Reality was awesome, as was my older Z55.

Engine
01-20-2017, 17:11
How old are your packs? I ask this b/c I was a Gregory fanboy for 20+ years, but the last two packs I have bought of theirs have been very uncomfortable. My old Reality was awesome, as was my older Z55.
It's been a long time...My Gregory Wind River was purchased around 1990-ish.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

MtDoraDave
01-20-2017, 17:25
off a little early today, did a bit more research and comparison.

Brand/model.......Cost ......Weight..... weight limit

REI Yosemite 75.....$134.....4 lb 12oz..... ?
Gregory Stout 75....$164.....4 lb 6 oz..... ?
Seek out' 'weep .....$400.....3 lb 5 oz..... ?
ULA Catalyst 75 .....$260.....3 lb -- .......40lb
Osprey Volt 75 .......$200.....4 lb 1 oz..... ?
Hyperlite 4400 .......$365 .... 2 lb 2 oz.....65lb

I was hoping to keep this new pack under $200, but sometimes the best value isn't the lowest price.

I read some reviews, and the Gregory Stout apparently doesn't have the adjustable shoulder straps most packs have. Perhaps one of the places they cut features to lower cost and weight.

My "summer" pack is just over 4 lbs*, so the weights aren't super critical to me, but comparing the list above, where else can you save a whole pound for $60 ?? It makes the ULA look like a no brainer. HOWEVER my last trip I went on with a week's worth of food and 1 liter of water was 36.5lbs... but I ended up carrying an extra 1.6 liters of water sometimes due to the drought conditions ... and a fleece I forgot to give to the shuttle driver. I was probably just over 40lbs for a day or so until I ate a couple pounds.

How durable would the ULA be if it was packed to it's maximum of 40 lbs each time it was used?

The ULA is in the lead, with the Osprey Volt in second place. The weep... can't spend $400 on a pack... The Hyperlite is only $365 and weighs less than all the above at 2.2lbs and is rated to carry up to 65 lbs... but it's still out of my price range, and I don't know how comfortable such a minimalist pack would be with that kind of weight in it.

*my summer pack is a JanSport Katahdin 60 I impulse purchased on sale for $60 because it was 5 lbs lighter than the military surplus pack I was using previously. Not ideal, but it's comfortable and serviceable...just too small for my winter trips.

Martzy13
01-20-2017, 17:33
I'll throw in my vote for ULA. While I don't have the catalyst, the Circuit (next size down - 68L I believe) is what I use year round. For colder weather I'm carrying about 31-32lbs and it rides like a dream. I can't speak on the other packs listed, i can say you won't be disappointed with ULA.

ScareBear
01-20-2017, 18:52
Gregory packs are def overbuilt. Heavy, but they last. And for some, they are very comfy. While I don't use the Z55, its in our gear bin and my son loves it. TJDingo loves her Sage 50. Neither show any interest in lighter packs...both rave about the comfort.

Take a look at the Black Diamond Mission 75. If I needed a new dedicated winter bag for multi-day BC ski-touring, I'd go with this bag. It is amazingly under 4 pounds. And under $200. For a real deal piece of climber/mountaineer gear...

ScareBear
01-20-2017, 18:53
http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/climbing-packs/mission-75-pack-BD681185CBLTM_L1.html

saltysack
01-20-2017, 21:27
Curious what your carrying that you need such a huge pack? Alaska expedition or month long unsupported trips like Tipi? Ula is only one of the bunch I've owned. The circuit is an awesome pack. I met a guy on the jmt few years back with the volt who spoke highly of it....used ula packs seem easy to find second hand at a good price.

VT-Mike
01-20-2017, 21:54
Just ordered up a Cold Cold World Chaos pack. Read good things about it and its made right next door in NH! It should be here in a couple of days. I will try to remember to follow up post hike with it.

alt.thomas
01-20-2017, 21:55
The Catalyst is on Massdrop for $224. Three days left before it closes.

VT-Mike
01-20-2017, 21:59
Just order a Cold Cold World Chaos pack for winter use. Read good things about and its made right next door in NH! I'll try to remember to follow up post hike with it.

Capacity........4300 cu. in.(70 liters) Large
.......4000 cu. in.(66 liters) Med
Weight......................................3 lbs 12 oz
Materials........420d packcloth/500d Cordura
Price............................................. ....$245.

http://www.coldcoldworldpacks.com/chaos.htm

MtDoraDave
01-21-2017, 08:38
Curious what you're carrying that you need such a huge pack? Alaska expedition or month long unsupported trips like Tipi? Ula is only one of the bunch I've owned. The circuit is an awesome pack. I met a guy on the jmt few years back with the volt who spoke highly of it....used ula packs seem easy to find second hand at a good price.

My... ok now the space bar works, my winter sleeping bag is bulkier than some because I couldn't spend the big bucks for a higher fill power.
I bring extra socks and 2 layers of thermal fleece long underwear.
I bring 8 days worth of food because I'm not thru-hiking yet. I don't want to hike for a week, wasting the better part of a day going into town to resupply. The extra day of food is because I plan for the unexpected.
I bring a paperback book and a spare headlight... that's about all I bring that is "more" than "normal", and I can't fit it into my 60 liter pack.

Venchka
01-21-2017, 09:15
A few observations on the ULA Catalyst...
40 pounds? No worries.
If your torso length is at the upper end of the size range, go up to the next size.
Buy the S shape shoulder straps regardless of gender.
Nit picks...
Some Velcro on the roll top closure would be nice.
The J shaped shoulder straps are set too close to my neck.
I can't get a water bottle out of the outside pockets or back in.
Kudos...
The hip belt actually works. The hip belt pockets work and hold a lot of stuff.
The two large outside pouches (they are not pockets) hold a huge amount of things. I put my MSR Hubba Hubba NX in one and a Nalgene 3/4 gallon soft canteen and MSR Waterworks filter in the other.
Caution: Don't let your eldest granddaughter talk you out of it.
Good luck.
Wayne

Venchka
01-21-2017, 09:18
Ps:
I also carried 7-8 days of food and a WM Alpinlite bag in my Catalyst.
Wayne

ScareBear
01-21-2017, 10:08
Just ordered up a Cold Cold World Chaos pack. Read good things about it and its made right next door in NH! It should be here in a couple of days. I will try to remember to follow up post hike with it.

The BD Mission 75 is the stripped-down version of your pack! Congrats on a good buy!

George
01-21-2017, 23:20
cruze ebay for a while - lots of lightly used older packs that go for about 1/4 of new

Secondmouse
01-22-2017, 13:36

agree.

agree. 2 days left to get the catalyst $234 shipped -- https://www.massdrop.com/buy/ula-catalyst

Leo L.
01-22-2017, 15:35
The Gregory Stout is the Gregory I was referring to.

My wife has a Gregory Stout (smaller model), it was the only pack whose waistbelt cushions fit snug around her pretty wide hips.
While the pack carries quite OK, I would find several points for critics:
- top/brain zip is fully exposed to the rain
- there is a huge double pouche on the very back of the pack, whose opening is plein and simply open - to the sun and the rain. The outer rim of the brain just doesn't cover this opening if you really fill the pack. Debris, leafs and tree needles will fall in, and rain will accumulate in this pouch, as there is no drain hole on the bottom
You cannot carry this pack in rain witout the rain cover.
- there is a very clever lock on the string closing the main compartment. Too clever. I broke it pretty soon.

While it fits my wife's special need, I would not call it the perfect pack.

MtDoraDave
02-07-2017, 08:17
Been sitting on this a while, thinking about it.

The ULA seems like the logical choice, but I really like having a lid for things I may need during the day and for things I don't want squished in the pack, making the Osprey Volt my other choice. In my lid, I usually have:
-toilet paper/ wipes
-headlight
-pills
-pen/ paper
-paperback book
-lighter
-tobacco (if I'm smoking at the time)

My question to you people who used to have a lid, and switched to a non-lid style backpack: How do you pack the things that used to go in the lid?

Elaikases
02-07-2017, 09:47
For winter hiking/camping and the heavier loads you will carry, fit is important. Some packs just fit better than others. I loved my Baltero 75 -- stout, well organized, easy to access, five pounds. For summer hiking and section hiking like I've started to do, I've changed to a two pound pack. With a lighter tent, I can get my pack + tent into the same weight the empty back was before.

But if I were to start doing winter camping and hiking, I'd go back to Gregory in a flash -- but it fits me very well.

My wife tried a couple Ospreys, and compared to her Diva, they just do not fit her. However, when she tried on a http://sectionhiker.com/granite-gear-crown-2-60l-backpack-review/ she found that with more weight it felt like she was carrying less than she did in a Gregory. The guy in the store thought he was going to show her just how much better the Diva carried a load ... Did not quite work that way.

sethd513
02-07-2017, 18:09
Had 44 pounds in my catalyst once. Won't do it again hopefully but other then feeling the weight I didn't feel the bad. If that makes sense. ULA for sure

Venchka
02-07-2017, 20:17
Had 44 pounds in my catalyst once. Won't do it again hopefully but other then feeling the weight I didn't feel the bad. If that makes sense. ULA for sure

Ok. So it was you that didn't do well with the weight and not the Catalyst? Just curious because I had something between 35 and 40 pounds in a Catalyst last summer and had no complaints about the Catalyst. 11,000' to 12,000' was a different story.
Wayne

sethd513
02-08-2017, 06:26
Ok. So it was you that didn't do well with the weight and not the Catalyst? Just curious because I had something between 35 and 40 pounds in a Catalyst last summer and had no complaints about the Catalyst. 11,000' to 12,000' was a different story.
Wayne

Yes I didn't care for the weight at all but The bag handled it great. It was my first run with it too so I was also worried to a point about overloading it. In the back of my head though I knew it would be fine as I owned my ohm before and these ULA bags are sewn very well.

MtDoraDave
02-08-2017, 07:48
Been sitting on this a while, thinking about it.

The ULA seems like the logical choice, but I really like having a lid for things I may need during the day and for things I don't want squished in the pack, making the Osprey Volt my other choice. "

In my lid, I usually have:
-toilet paper/ wipes
-headlight
-pills
-pen/ paper
-paperback book
-lighter
-tobacco (if I'm smoking at the time)

My question to you people who used to have a lid, and switched to a non-lid style backpack: How do you pack the things that used to go in the lid?

Anyone have tips?
Put the things I usually put in the lid inside a stuff sack? ...and pack that stuff last in the mornings so it's still on the top of the pack?

Just Tom
02-08-2017, 07:55
Isn't that what the outer mesh pocket is for? Quick access to whatever you need during the day?

saltysack
02-09-2017, 09:55
Isn't that what the outer mesh pocket is for? Quick access to whatever you need during the day?

+1.....new style GG Gorilla had a lid....I didn't care for it at all!!! Sold it as I like previous lighter model much better....

cmoulder
02-09-2017, 10:32
but I really like having a lid for things I may need during the day and for things I don't want squished in the pack

Back in the day I liked lids for the same reason, but even better is a larger hip belt pouch such as the Zpacks. In one hip belt pocket I can carry almost everything I need for the day, including powerbars, Gorp, water treatment (AM), compass, map, sunscreen, chapstick etc. etc. Right side pack pocket holds water bottle, left side wind or rain jacket. Phone/cam is in a shoulder pouch for instant access for photos. Many times it's possible to walk half a day without the need to remove the pack.

TX Aggie
02-15-2017, 00:44
This may Sund a little unconventional, but if you need a bigger pack that can handle bulky gear like winter coats and sleeping bag, look into a military surplus CFP-90. I have two of them and love them. Granted, it is NOT a UL pack, but it can handle the bulk and the weight. I did a weekend on the AT this past fall with my daughters, 13 and 10. The 10 is very small for her age, so about all she could carry was her sleeping bag and some of the food. With tent, extra water, food, and odds and ends, my CFP-90 ended up tipping the scales right at 60 lbs. I'm only 5'7" and 155 lbs, and the pack still didn't seem overly bulky. They can be found as new surplus in the $100-150 range on eBay if you keep an eye open.

I'm happy to provide more info if interested.