PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Bag Advice

EO.
01-20-2017, 17:18
I'm ready to invest in a quality sleeping bag. None of my friends have any interest in the subject and are less than helpful in talking through this decision, so I'm hoping you all can offer advice.

For awhile I was set on the Rab Neutrino 400 as it is rated #1 on outdoorgearlab and I like its specs - especially its weight (28 oz) and it's packed size. However, outside of outdoorgearlab, I haven't found too many praises for this bag.

As I've read other threads on WB, I've seen a lot of great talk about WM bags. Looked at their 20 degree bags and am interested in the Ultralite or Alpinlite.

I will be using this as a 3 season bag. Long weekends, longer section hikes, and hopefully for a thru attempt in the next few years. As a 5'3" petite person, weight and packed size are important for me.

It would obviously be best to try out both of these bags in person, but these bags are not sold in any retailers near me.

What are your thoughts and opinions?
Anyone using a Rab bag?
Am I missing the obvious winner of these three bags?
Ladies - what bags are you carrying?

Rab Neutrino 400: https://rab.equipment/us/women-s-neutrino-400
WM Alpinlite: http://www.westernmountaineering.com/sleeping-bags/extremelite-series/alpinlite/
WM Ultralite: http://www.westernmountaineering.com/sleeping-bags/extremelite-series/ultralite/

bigcranky
01-20-2017, 17:58
My wife had an Ultralite, and I own both a Megalite and an Antelope. WM makes great bags. Not much to watch out for other than to make sure that a 20F rating will be warm enough for you. The Ultralite is a slim fit mummy, which sounds like it will be fine for you. Other options would be Montbell (my wife now has two of their down bags and loves them) and some of the high end Marmot bags.

jcreamer
01-20-2017, 18:22
Im not a lady and I've never used the Rab bags. However, I can tell you that you will not be sorry that you purchased a WM bag. I have the Ultralite and the Megalite. The Megalite is 30* which suits my needs for almost the entire year. I am a cold sleeper and I always sleep well and warm in WM bags. They are very high quality and if you don't like it you can resell it for minimal loss. The ultralite is increadibly warm (I think the 20* rating is super conservative) and packs down very small. But when you unpack it - poof - its got crazy loft and just hugs you when you crawl inside. I think with your size you would be happy with the Ultralite. Best of luck and let us know your decision.

4eyedbuzzard
01-20-2017, 18:25
Well, I see the Rab Neutrino (regular men's) on sale at $261 at gear coop. A WM Ultralite or Alpinlite is going to be more in the high $400's to low $500 range, and discounts are pretty rare. So they are not truly apples to apples comparisons in that sense. Feathered Friends also makes great bags, as do some of the smaller manufacturers. All it costs is money ;)
Rab lists bag width in their measurements while WM uses girth (circumferential).
Pay close attention to bag width/girth, as a bag that is cut too tight for your body size can be uncomfortably confining when zipped. As you are "petite", this may not be an issue, but it's worth mentioning.
You could also look into layering a two quilt system for the temperatures you expect to encounter. This gives the flexibility of a lightweight quilt in summer, a midweight one when slightly colder, and layering both if you expect even colder temps - like a 50° or 40° and a 20° which together will get you down in the 0° range . See this from Enlightened Equipment https://support.enlightenedequipment.com/hc/en-us/articles/218158868-Quilt-Layering

Hikingjim
01-20-2017, 18:32
when you compare them you can look at the fill weight (the weight of the down that they actually put in there) and the fill power. That rab bag is not very warm comparatively. It has 14 oz of 800 fill power down and an EN comfort rating of 37f. Higher fill power just means you'll get more warmth out of each ounce of down

The WM alpinlite is 17 oz of fill and I think the fill power is 850. It should definitely be a lot warmer than the rab.
Either alpinlite or versalite if you're going to push the fringe seasons (1 oz more fill) would be good choices

Then there's quilts from places like EE, hammock gear, etc. Example:
http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/revelation/

If you got a short version of a quilt with around 13 or 14 oz of down, that would be good for fringe season as well

Hikingjim
01-20-2017, 18:36
I guess the ultralite would work out well for a small person like you too! It's usually off my radar since I have giant shoulder width

Venchka
01-20-2017, 18:48
Alpinlite and Antelope owner here.
I'm 5'-8" and 145 pounds male person. The Antelope, which is the same size pattern as the Vistalite, is the perfect size mummy bag for me. I'm a side sleeper and the inside dimensions are perfect for me. Not claustrophobic but not to big.
The Alpinlite is the wide body jumbo jet of the WM line. I wanted a 20 degree bag and the Ultralite was too confining for me. When I found a deal on the Alpinlite I snapped it up.
WM temperature ratings:
I live in upper east Texas so winter is rare. A couple weeks ago we had two cold nights in a row. Night 1 - 24 degrees and Night 2 - 12 degrees. For the 12 degree night I was in a tent and wearing midweight merino long underwear and a light fleece layer over the wool plus beanie, gloves and wool socks. The 24 degree night was fine without the fleece layer.
If you are a cold sleeper I would seriously consider the Vistalite.
Good luck. If you have more questions don't hesitate to ask.
Oh, by the way, the Alpinlite has an EN Lower Limit rating of 16 degrees. I verified that at 12!
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Venchka
01-20-2017, 18:48
Ps:
Sleeping on an Xtherm Large.
Wayne

sethd513
01-20-2017, 22:45
If you are spending 400$ to 500$ on a sleeping bag you'll still need a pad. My cousin said he use to sleep on a single ccf pad all winter long and I told him he was nuts. He has since got an xtherm and I think he's happy. I know I love my xtherm for anything under 20*. My experience with mummy bags has always been horrible. Toss and turn get all caught up and twisted inside. I'd spend 250 or 275 on a quilt since you are small and put the rest into a good hat and sleeping pad. EE has my vote on quilts all day long as the product is great and customer service is even better. My wife's 10* quilt packs about the same size as my 40* and I'm a foot taller then her. Best of luck. You'll get great info here.

Ercoupe
01-21-2017, 06:48
If you are near Indianapolis then a quick search found this store that may have or can get the bag you want to try.

Rusted Moon Outfitters6410 Cornell Ave.
Indianapolis IN 46220
UNITED STATES
Tel: (317) 253-4453
Rusted Moon Outfitters6410 Cornell Ave.
Indianapolis IN 46220
UNITED STATES
Tel: (317) 253-4453

Venchka
01-21-2017, 11:44
I messed up.
The VERSALITE is the 10 degree bag with the same internal dimensions as the Antelope.
http://www.westernmountaineering.com/sleeping-bags/extremelite-series/versalite/
You can also special order extra down in the WM bags.
Wayne

EO.
01-21-2017, 13:18
I checked with this outfitter last week. They only have the WM Ultralite. Not sure if they would order something just so I could try it, but it wouldn't hurt to ask! The closest Rab retailer would be Louisville or Cincinnatti.

EO.
01-21-2017, 13:27
Thanks for all your input! Would've sat around twiddling my fingers for months trying to decide.

I'm leaning towards the WM Ultralite. Seems like it runs warmer than 20* but I would rather be warmer. Can always take off layers.

MuddyWaters
01-21-2017, 14:42
WM EN ratings are published in europe.

Ifn I recalls correctly, the ultralite is actually 17F, and megalite is 28F.

I looked them up on a german retailer site once upon a times.

Women...will likely have different experience than men.

Feral Bill
01-21-2017, 14:59
Feathered Friends is another good bag maker.

EO.
01-28-2017, 14:53
Been thinking some more...

Will probably get a liner to keep the bag cleaner. Would it be reasonable to do a Megalite (30*) + a liner? I'm afraid the Ultralite (20*) + liner might be too warm in most cases...

4eyedbuzzard
01-28-2017, 16:10
Been thinking some more...

Will probably get a liner to keep the bag cleaner. Would it be reasonable to do a Megalite (30*) + a liner? I'm afraid the Ultralite (20*) + liner might be too warm in most cases...If you move around in your sleep like many of us, I would recommend lightweight pajamas or an ultralight base layer or other sleeping clothes over a liner, as they will move with you inside the bag. Liners tend to bunch up, twist, and tangle you up inside a bag, especially in smaller volume mummy shaped bags. Many just use their base layer to do double duty, but obviously it wouldn't be as clean as dedicated sleeping clothes.

bigcranky
01-28-2017, 18:40
+1. I prefer to wear light merino wool long johns and a long sleeve merino shirt, plus wool socks, year round at night. This keeps the bag clean, keeps me warm(er), and I can move around as much as I want. I tried a liner a few times and got all tangled up.

Venchka
01-28-2017, 20:16
+2 ^^^^ what they said.
The Megalite is the same interior size as the Alpinlite. Which is to say Wide Body Jumbo Jet. I moved from an Ultralite size bag to the Alpinlite. As a side sleeper I really appreciate the extra room. I never feel confined.
At 5'-3" you could order the short length in any of these bags.
As for 30 vs. 20 degrees. I've slept in my Alpinlite in the 40s and wasn't uncomfortable at all. I've slept in it at 12 degrees also. You can always sleep on top of the bag but you can't add any more loft if it gets cold.
Nice merino wool long underwear and socks are MUCH more versatile than a liner.
Good luck!
Wayne

Venchka
01-28-2017, 20:20
PS:
There is only 1 ounce difference between the Short Ultralite & Short Alpinlite.
Wayne

EO.
01-29-2017, 10:31
Thanks all! I always keep a "clean" set of clothes (baselayer bottom, top, and socks) for sleeping. So I'll skip the liner and go with the Ultralite. I appreciate all your advice!

Venchka
01-29-2017, 21:31
I do hope that you like it and it works for you! Enjoy!
Wayne

Turk6177
01-29-2017, 22:39
I have a sweater Mountaineering Alpinlite bag and have never been cold. I don't even zip it all the way if it is above freezing. It has a great mummy head with an elastic cord lock collar that really traps the heat in. I use a sea to summit silk/cotton liner to keep my bag clean. Both items were well worth the money for me.

Turk6177
01-29-2017, 22:40
I have a sweater Mountaineering Alpinlite bag and have never been cold. I don't even zip it all the way if it is above freezing. It has a great mummy head with an elastic cord lock collar that really traps the heat in. I use a sea to summit silk/cotton liner to keep my bag clean. Both items were well worth the money for me.

Sorry. Typo. I obviously meant Western Mountaineering

Venchka
01-29-2017, 22:45
Welcome to the Alpinlite club. You're correct about the hood, collar and zipper draft tube. Well worth the money.
I don't use the zipper much either.
Wayne