PDA

View Full Version : Gossamer Gear Mariposa 60 or Osprey Exos 58?

Mastery
01-21-2017, 23:23
Have researched packs until exhausted and have my pack choices for my 2018 AT flip thru hike (heading north from Harper's Ferry then returning to it to head south) narrowed down to a Gossamer Gear Mariposa 60 and the Osprey Exos 58. Both look to be great packs but can't seem to find anybody online that has both and offers a side-by-side comparison as to what they liked and didn't like about each against the other. Would really like to know which of the two are more comfortable and had fewer problems for real long hikes.

Really like the tent side pocket on the Mariposa; and all the other external pockets. Really like the lifetime warranty on the Osprey and the overall design of it. I've gone to REI and been fit with the Exos and it felt good...have not found a Mariposa to try out.

So far, I'm estimating to be at about 25 pounds base weight before food/water. I drink lots more water than the average person (medical condition) so will carry a few extra liters besides a couple of SmartWater bottles, otherwise in good physical shape with lots of camping experience from international motorcycle adventuring but limited hiking experience.

Anybody here have (or had) both of these packs and can provide some feedback regarding these two when matched up against each other?

Thanks!

Venchka
01-21-2017, 23:44
Wild guess. Try The Sectionhiker web pages. He reviews a lot of gear in this category. Hope you find what you're looking for.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
01-22-2017, 00:56
25 lb before food/water and your considering a lightweight pack that maxes at about 30?

Carry "a few xtra liters"?

You need a conventional pack like an atmos, you will be carrying 45+ lbs

jcreamer
01-22-2017, 05:45
I agree with Muddywaters. In my opinion, you've got too much weight for either pack. The upper limit of these packs is ok to push for a week or weekend. But you don't want to walk 2000+ miles with it at its comfort limit. Because that really what it is - a comfort limit. I packed 40+ pounds in my ULA Circuit for Philmont. It was fine for 10 days. But I won't do it again. My normal load is under 30 lbs total and makes it a dream to carry. I would especially caution agains the Mariposa with that weight total. They are both high quality picks and you will probably;y be happy with either - with 10 less pounds. Just one mans opinion. Best of luck to you. JC

lwhikerchris
01-22-2017, 09:21
I thru'd with the GG mariposa. It's a great pack. Make sure you have the right size hip belt and that it can be cinched down for when your stomach shrinks. So, tighter than is comfortable now. It can hold 30lbs, though my full pack I tried to keep under 20lbs.

My buddy thru'd with an Osprey and cut the "brain" as they say off of it. He said the pack worked well but if he hiked again he'd switch to something lighter. Ospreys are a dime a dozen on the AT so you will surely be able to find someone to tell you more.

G-FOURce
01-22-2017, 11:15
I thru'd with the GG mariposa. It's a great pack. Make sure you have the right size hip belt and that it can be cinched down for when your stomach shrinks. So, tighter than is comfortable now. It can hold 30lbs, though my full pack I tried to keep under 20lbs.

My buddy thru'd with an Osprey and cut the "brain" as they say off of it. He said the pack worked well but if he hiked again he'd switch to something lighter. Ospreys are a dime a dozen on the AT so you will surely be able to find someone to tell you more.

FYI - You wouldn't have to cut the pack lid, aka "brain", from the pack if you choose the Osprey. The Exos 58 has the integrated "FlapJacket", a thin cover thats built into the pack for use when the removable brain is left behind.

-Rush-
01-23-2017, 11:22
If you need to carry more water weight, I'd look into something like the Atmos 50. It may weigh an extra pound or so, but will be a much better pack for what you're doing.

Rex Clifton
01-23-2017, 17:33
I've owned both of these and would lean towards the Exos if the belt fits. I returned my Exos because the belt padding did not fully cover my hip bones. If you have less spare tire than me, the Exos should work. If not, I would recommend the ULA Circuit over the Mariposa.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Patrickjd9
01-25-2017, 00:07
I also drink a lot of water, and have gotten better about consuming it at the source in the last year or two. I finished a pretty dry section hike last fall never carrying more than 2 1/2 quarts.

Good data also helps keep down what you carry, there is often recent information on springs in the hiker comments of Guthook's Guide.

John M
01-25-2017, 11:13
I have the latest model Mariposa and wouldn't want to carry your load in it. 15 pound base weight with 3 days of food and 4 liters of water had it maxed out comfort wise. Until your base weight gets under 20 pounds I'd stick with conventional packs like the Osprey Atmos, Gregory Baltoro, etc.

Mastery
01-25-2017, 23:29
Appreciate everybody's answers. Think I'll look into a better bag that can carry more weight...I can get my gear list down to 24 pounds to what I'd want with me for six months. I'll eyeball the Atmos a little more.

Grunt
01-25-2017, 23:58
I can't compare but I've had the Mariposa 60 now for several years and several hundred mile section-hikes and I absolutely love it! When I get it packed and step on the scale it adds 30lbs to my weight.... and that is with five or six days worth of food and 1 liter of water. The long pocket on the side is great for tents and the other external pockets are real convenient for organizing gear.

nsherry61
01-28-2017, 01:05
Wow. There is some really good advice in this thread! +1

Mastery
01-28-2017, 08:41
Wow. There is some really good advice in this thread! +1

I agree. I'm liking this group more and more...

Cprince09
02-01-2017, 12:10
Look into the six moon designs fusion 50 or 65. The frame and suspension system are supposed to be top notch for carrying heavier weight.

JumpMaster Blaster
02-01-2017, 16:00
I owned an Exos 58 for a short time and own a Mariposa now. The Exos looked good and I liked the brain on it, but besides that and the far superior ventilation, the pack just didn't work out for me. I have a small torso length but a little more girth and the waist belt just didn't fit. I went from a small to a medium, but then the pack height was too far up on my back. The shoulder straps were so lightly padded and stopped right above my armpit that it caused a lot of rubbing and discomfort. I was only doing a long day hike to test it out with 15 pounds in it. Don't even get me starte on the miniscule and basically unusable hip belt pockets. It went back to REI.

I bought my Mariposa last year and took it out for a week in the Smokies. My fully loaded pack weight was a pound heavier that your base weight. It rode like a charm. Yes, your back will sweat out in it. The top lid wont fit a lot of items, but the hip belt comes in different sizes, and the pockets all around are great. It's my go to pack from late spring to early fall.

As others have said, with that base weight you have, you'll need a much sturdier pack. You definitely can't go wrong with the Osprey Atmos. I'm gun shy on Osprey's hip belt pockets though, so I have a ULA Catalyst that carries 30-35 pounds with ease, I can change the hipbelt out, and it's a lot lighter than the Atmos.

Good luck on your search.

Venchka
02-01-2017, 20:43
As others have said, with that base weight you have, you'll need a much sturdier pack. You definitely can't go wrong with the Osprey Atmos. I'm gun shy on Osprey's hip belt pockets though, so I have a ULA Catalyst that carries 30-35 pounds with ease, I can change the hipbelt out, and it's a lot lighter than the Atmos.

Good luck on your search.
I concur completely on the Catalyst. Outdoor Gear Labs rated the pockets at 8 Cliff Bars. Believe it.
Believe the 30-35 (or probably more) pounds too.
One caution on the ULA Catalyst sizing: If you are on the border between sizes order UP! I was measured in a shop for a medium. I wish I had gotten a large.
The Catalyst is a good pack. Even if my load suddenly dropped by half I would keep it.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ImAfraidOfBears
02-01-2017, 20:48
Listen to the people that are telling you to go with a gregory or atmos. I own the GG Mariposa, and have used an exos in the past, and unless you get the base weight down, neither of these packs are a good decision for you. Atmos is an incredibly awesome load hauler, as is with the gregory packs. Don't get a mariposa or exos and load it to 25 lb base and expect it to be comfortable at full load

ImAfraidOfBears
02-01-2017, 20:49
Neither of those packs are a good choice for you.

SWODaddy
02-01-2017, 22:31
I have an Exos 48 and 30ish pounds is the most id put in it. The Mariposa probably max's out earlier.

Look into something like an Atmos or Aether with your base weight.

IslandPete
02-02-2017, 19:38
I too am looking at the Exos vs alternatives. It looks like my base is going to be 12-14 lbs. I can try the Exos out, and like the ventilation system. I will be able to try the ULA Circuit, which I think I will like, but am worried about the lack of back ventilation. Most of the other choices I will have to buy to try? Suggestions appreciated?
Pete

nsherry61
02-03-2017, 00:33
I found this blog post (http://www.halfwayanywhere.com/trails/pacific-crest-trail/pct-2016-survey-gear-guide/)exceptionally enlightening. It's a 2016 thru-hiker gear survey, including backpacks. It's interesting to see what was most common/popular gear vs what was actually liked the most and/or least. Of course, the contradictions are some of the most enlightening parts with most popular items being used by the most people so often they were also disliked by the most people.

I think the net overall conclusion I drew out of the article was that more gear was replaced to improve camp/sleeping comfort for a slight weight penalty by people as they gained more experience. Most common upgrades were a bigger than 1-person tent, sleeping bags that were a little warmer than the minimum and sleeping pads that were thicker than CCF pads. . . as they say in athletic training, it the rest in between your workouts that is most important part of training.

IslandPete
02-03-2017, 10:05
That's a good list, and contains all the usual suspects, as you'd expect. Interesting how many items made both the "most popular" and "least liked" lists. And how many of those I have!

Shrewd
02-08-2017, 09:03
I think you should show us your gear list

IslandPete
02-08-2017, 09:06
If that was for me, here you go...
https://lighterpack.com/r/b9s247

Maineiac64
02-08-2017, 10:50
Zpacks has back ventilation and is light.

theeulogy
03-04-2017, 18:02
I have a Six Moon Design Fusion 65 that I used on my section from Daleville to Harper's Ferry last summer. I had a loaded pack weight of right at 28 lbs with 5 days food and a liter of water. It performed bearer than my Golite Jam, although I also have used the Jam on 2 other 2 week sections and like it also.

Drum Man
03-05-2017, 15:59
If that was for me, here you go...
https://lighterpack.com/r/b9s247
Ooo I like this!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

IslandPete
03-05-2017, 16:57
See anything you don't like? What am I missing/forgetting?

Praha4
03-05-2017, 17:00
I have tried many packs and settled on the older Osprey Atmos 50... the older Atmos 50 weighs approx 3 lb-4 oz. Love this pack. My 3-season base weight with this pack is approx 12.5 lbs. Carrying 1.8L water and 3 days food I'm usually 20-22 lbs total pack weight.

have tried many U/L packs like Gossamer Gear Gorilla, ULA Circuit, and the newer Osprey Exos..... and just could not use them. These "frameless" or single-stay packs all end up pulling on your shoulders with any weight reaching 20 lbs. or more.

the new Atmos AG 50 weighs over 4 lbs. and I will not even think of a pack that heavy.

there's other nice packs from Osprey, Granite Gear around 3-4 lbs weight....and many like the ULA Catalyst, you may want to check it out

globetruck
03-05-2017, 19:30
I've been debating between the Atmos and Exos packs. The Atmos certainly are heavier but carry the weight a lot better. My 3 season carry weight is about 13-16 lbs depending on temp, plus food and water (about another 10 lbs). The Atmos is the comfort king by a wide margin. My biggest gripe with the Exos is the fact that the torso is not adjustable. It just doesn't fit me, no matter how much I'd like to save nearly 2 lbs of pack weight. With both packs filled with 30 lbs of the same equipment, the Atmos actually feels lighter.

daddytwosticks
03-06-2017, 08:14
I've been debating between the Atmos and Exos packs. The Atmos certainly are heavier but carry the weight a lot better. My 3 season carry weight is about 13-16 lbs depending on temp, plus food and water (about another 10 lbs). The Atmos is the comfort king by a wide margin. My biggest gripe with the Exos is the fact that the torso is not adjustable. It just doesn't fit me, no matter how much I'd like to save nearly 2 lbs of pack weight. With both packs filled with 30 lbs of the same equipment, the Atmos actually feels lighter.

Use a pack that will be comfortable to YOU. Weight should be secondary IMHO. Lucky for me, the Exos packs fit me like a glove. :)

Drum Man
03-06-2017, 08:28
I totally agree

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

globetruck
03-08-2017, 19:59
Use a pack that will be comfortable to YOU. Weight should be secondary IMHO. Lucky for me, the Exos packs fit me like a glove. :)

Agree! But man, I want to live the Exos. I wish they would make a custom pack just for me:
- Atmos frame, suspension
- Exos pack bag & hip belt pockets
- 55L total capacity
- sleeping pad straps