PDA

View Full Version : Wallets and passport carrying

Mastery
01-22-2017, 13:04
Two questions regarding going on a six month thru-hike:

1. How is everybody's carrying their passport (if you are coming from another country to hike)? I imagine it's a simple ziplock bag being utilized but figured somebody found a perfect neck wallet or something.

2. What wallet is being used for cash/cards so they aren't getting all wet and sweaty for half a year, for those that want to carry something more traditional versus a ziplock when in towns?

Thanks!

bigcranky
01-22-2017, 13:10
I carry my important stuff in a small waist pack that I wear in the front. It has my wallet, camera, etc. I would carry my passport there, too, in a small ziploc. My wallet is one of the Zpacks cuben wallets, though a ziploc sandwich bag works just as well and is a whole lot cheaper. :)

The advantage of the waist pack is that it's always with me, even when I don't have my pack.

saltysack
01-22-2017, 13:11

1. How is everybody's carrying their passport (if you are coming from another country to hike)? I imagine it's a simple ziplock bag being utilized but figured somebody found a perfect neck wallet or something.

2. What wallet is being used for cash/cards so they aren't getting all wet and sweaty for half a year, for those that want to carry something more traditional versus a ziplock when in towns?

Thanks!

I've always just used a thick rubber band and only carried minimum cards needed and lil cash...wet money spends fine...

ATM/debit
Visa cc
Driver license
Health ins card

I'm not a thru but can't see why would need anything different....or check out diy tyvek wallet...if your set on a "hiker wallet" MLD and Z packs both sell them. AT Passport or foreign not sure what's lighter or cheaper than a zip lock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B.j. Clark
01-22-2017, 13:18
I carry my important stuff in a small waist pack that I wear in the front. It has my wallet, camera, etc. I would carry my passport there, too, in a small ziploc. My wallet is one of the Zpacks cuben wallets, though a ziploc sandwich bag works just as well and is a whole lot cheaper. :)

The advantage of the waist pack is that it's always with me, even when I don't have my pack.

+1
I use a GG waist pack for both wallet and phone. Phone goes in a loksak in wet weather. Wetproof wallet. Always on me.

swisscross
01-22-2017, 13:19
I have used a hyperlight mountain gear wallet as my only wallet for a couple of years.

MuddyWaters
01-22-2017, 13:22
little cuben drawstring pouch holds cards, little cash, and key if needed.

natewoodhd
01-22-2017, 13:25
If you are Canadian see about getting a nexus/goes card, or enhanced driver's license, or passport card. This allows you to cut weight, and makes your passport waterproof (and legal) at the same time.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Cheyou
01-22-2017, 13:28
Zip lock bag

thom

Leo L.
01-22-2017, 13:56
In foreign countries I carry my valueables in a slim and thin waist pocket under the trousers.
One of the models available is called Tatonka Skin Moneybelt. The one I'm using is a different model but same system.
We repeatdely buy several and hand it over to youngs going on their first journey, and it had saved the butt (or the money respectively) of more than one. There is a lot of thievery in the South.

Unfortunately for hiking this moneybelt does not fit together very well with the waist belt of the backpack, so while hiking in the backcountry the moneybelt rests in the pack usually and I put it on only when approaching crowded places.

Christoph
01-22-2017, 14:00
I carry my card and cash in a duct tape wallet my daughter made for me. I keep it in a Ziploc when hiking.

StubbleJumper
01-22-2017, 14:18

Thanks!

I've found that a Ziplock works as well as anything and they are really inexpensive to replace. I usually print copies of my plane ticket and health insurance policy and also keep them in a Ziplock. I even keep my phone in a Ziplock. All in all, it ends up being 2 quart-size Ziplocs (one for the phone, and one for the passport/cards/money) and then a gallon-size ziplock for my printed plane tickets and health insurance.

When I leave my pack unsupervised for any length of time, I usually grab the Ziplock with my passport, cards and cash, and I just put it in a pants pocket with a velcro closure. I don't much worry about my phone, as a stolen phone doesn't do much good for another hiker.

If you are Canadian see about getting a nexus/goes card, or enhanced driver's license, or passport card. This allows you to cut weight, and makes your passport waterproof (and legal) at the same time.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

This is definitely true for Canadians who hike in the US (and as a bonus, Canadian money is made out of plastic too, so it's impervious to water!). But if you are planning to hike in Europe, you're stuck with a paper passport.

lwhikerchris
01-22-2017, 16:01
The humble plastic bag is one of the best pieces of gear out there.

Mastery
01-22-2017, 17:15
Some good responses here. Obviously the ziplock bags is effective and cheap...but I'm thinking that when I get into town, I want to feel a little "normal" again and maybe have something resembling a wallet I can pull out to pay for the three dinner entrees I'll be ordering.

I have used a hyperlight mountain gear wallet as my only wallet for a couple of years.

Looked at this, pretty nice minimal type wallet.

One Half
01-22-2017, 17:18
I don't know about other countries but my husband got a card also when he got his passport. I think it's made of heavy plastic like a credit card. I would think that would be a better option to carry while hiking then the actual passport if you have a safe way to store the passport during the hike.

ScareBear
01-22-2017, 17:45
Yeah...paper money in a pocket...its no big dealio in the US...

That said, I keep all cards and cash in a zipper wallet clipped into the inside of my pack, along with my keys. When I leave the pack out of sight, I almost always grap the zipper wallet. Nothing falls out of it and it holds coins as well(far more valuable option in Europe where there are 1e and 5e coins)...

I would keep the passport in a baggie on the trail and treat it like the wallet...carry it with you when it is going to be out of sight...

RangerZ
01-22-2017, 17:51
I use a plastic id holder like you'd have on a neck hanger. Heavier duty than a ziplock but seals like one. Just the right size for drivers license, debit card, health card, etc.

renais
01-22-2017, 18:05
I've had to carry a passport for months overseas, along with cash and sometimes paper tickets. For me, a good neck wallet fit the bill much better than a ziplock in my pocket for several reasons. First, I wanted to keep these items with me at all times, and I worried about a ziplock falling (or being pulled!) out of my pockets. The neck pouch was easy to use discretely if I needed to get cash for a purchase, weighed very little, and never caused any irritation when worn for weeks on end. The pouch also protected the passport from moisture (both sweat and rain) well, and did not get smelly even when worn for these long periods. On the AT, I have less to carry, but still want to keep ids and credit cards with me and my cash. For the AT, since I don't need to carry a passport, I use a hiker wallet which is carried inside a zippered pouch strapped around my waist when away from my backpack. I do try to rotate the cash so it does not get too gross. When paying for something in PA on my 15 hike, the person I was paying commented that I was using hiker money because of the texture and smell.

lonestarrunner
01-23-2017, 16:10
very helpful info on this thread!

salsi
01-23-2017, 16:17
I keep it in my hiking backpack but whenever im not withen 5 feet of my pack or around people I trust it take out my package of docs and place it in my pants pocket.