PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use the S2S bug pyramid inner net?

saltysack
01-22-2017, 19:17
After posting on the CT section about an inner net for duomid, Cheyou posted this as an option at 2.9oz under $45.....seems like might fit the bill as mid already has attach points etc and I'll already have a ground sheet. Can't find much many reviews on it.....as much as I'd like to buy an MLD inner $250 lil much for me currently...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saltysack
01-22-2017, 19:19
This one....https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170122/b58881609134b5d2d16ee8bb9938d288.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheyou
01-22-2017, 19:31
Try a search of backpacking light.

Thom

Cheyou
01-22-2017, 19:34
You could order one and return it if you don't like it . six moon designs net tent might work or a used one

Time Zone
01-22-2017, 19:45
Had one long enough to set up at home. My impressions:

The model in that picture might be under 5 feet tall.
It draped on me to the extent that I felt I could be bitten through the net by a bug outside the net. Sitting up in my bag, on a sleeping pad, there was very little open volume under the net. IIRC, not even enough to have a straight line-of-sight to a book in front of me.
If the netting is strong and not prone to snags (say on dry skin, burred fingernails etc,), it sure didn't feel that way. It felt very much like the same material that my $1.50 (now $2.00) UST mosquito net at Walmart is made of (which actually has avoided snags pretty well, though maybe not entirely).
It does stretch out to the indicated footprint size, and have some material left over for tucking under things.
the cord to suspend the net is elastic and very stretchy. You have to put it under some real tension to try to create some vertical room.

Returned it. I would not recommended it. Alternatives, like mosquito nets from Coghlan's, tend to allow through noseeums, tend to be white (harder to see out), and seem too short, but maybe they're OK since the walls are vertical and you can't really compare to tent dimensions.

Dogwood
01-22-2017, 19:46
YES. I was thinking of it for your Duomid on the CT.

IMHO, it makes a very good less pricey, even lighter wt, even less voluminous EVEN GREATER COMPONENT oriented shelter substitute than the UL cottage gear bug bivy inner tents. This allows dialing in the tweaking for the conditions as to what components I want.

I've used one under different Zpacks, MLD, OWare, HMG and a couple of other tents and tarps similarly as Shonyru does here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y73uyGOyO5k I usually do as Shonyru does and attach a stick on mitten clip or loop patch to the inside wall of the tarp/tarptent to hang the S2S apex bungee from rather than always hanging the S2S apex from the underside apex of the tarp/tarptent. A simple pyramidal bug net made like they use in the tropics can be constructed of tulle fabric bought at JoAnns Fabrics and simple UL bungee and plastic micro mitten clips from places like ZP and some other gear outfitter outlets. It's nothing fancy but gets the flying insects off.

MuddyWaters
01-22-2017, 19:55
Some make it work
Doesnt on my deschutes at normal ht, duomid is taller that will help

I was swimming in net
Not worth hassle really for me. Id rather use bug bivy, or inner tent. Very fiddly
Expect it to actually weigh closer to 3.3 oz or so

If you needed something to throw over you during break, it would work.

Dogwood
01-22-2017, 20:03
Make sure to get the Nano S2S Mosquito net with Insect Shield(permethrin dipped) which has smaller mesh openings and is MUCH lighter wt(2.9 oz) than the 9 0z version your linking. CSpan may have had another model with wider mesh holes without Insect Shield. http://www.seatosummit.com/product/?item=Nano+Mosquito+Pyramid+Net+Shelter+-+Insect+Shield%26reg%3B&o1=0&o2=0&o3=132 They come in a single and double version. Compare carefully as different versions exist! They stretch as CSpan says. They don't include groundsheets as the pics portray. I use polycro underneath. I place a shoe, etc in each corner to stretch out the base bottom hem to cover me fully enough width and length to move freely around under at 6'4" and 220 lbs.

Dogwood
01-22-2017, 20:07
I've had two of the NANO single versions one with Insect Shield and one without. the one w/ Insect Shield weighed 86 grams on my scales with an advertised wt of 82 grams. The one without weighed 78 grams on the same scale.

Dogwood
01-22-2017, 20:09
Also advertised at 82 grams so there is some SMALL VERY SMALL wt variances as is with all gear manufactured in large lots.

MuddyWaters
01-22-2017, 20:11
With or without the little stuffsak and all the shockcord?

Mines 3.x, and they have a reputation for being little overweight if i recall. Its the treated one too.

Ill weigh it later ,youve piqued my curiodity. Been a few yrs since bought

Feral Bill
01-22-2017, 20:46
I use one. It works just fine with my 8x10 flat tarp,

hyperslug
01-22-2017, 20:51
I wrote to S2S and asked them if it was no-see-um proof and they said no. Not sure if that is a problem on the PCT and the insect shield would probably repel them anyway.

MuddyWaters
01-22-2017, 21:02
3.55 oz in stuffsak
And its wild enough I cant see not using stuffsak.
But can def get rid of some shockcord.

My scale is calibrated with standard wts. Off by max 0.1g at 200 g.

Dogwood
01-22-2017, 21:19
MW, the wt has deviated on the same models through different yrs. I don't carry the stuff sack. For example on one of the older versions I saw set up in an REI of all places IMO a larger than needed ball cord lock was used on both the teh apex bungee and ground perimeter bungeed circumference. I think S2S has made the NANO more UL over the successive versions. Although I haven't done it with some set ups with these products I could see shortening the apex bungee length and/or replacing the heavier bungee with a SUL/micro UL bungee.

MuddyWaters
01-22-2017, 21:27
wt on hang tag was 2.9 I recall. I recall lots on BPL used to complain they were heavier than advertised too.

Lots of shock cord, sturdy cordlocks, etc wt can be trimmed, even some mesh could be cut out by folding and then sewing new seam, then cutting folded area out.

I got it because it had potential, just never really got into using it.

Time Zone
01-23-2017, 08:18
Make sure to get the Nano S2S Mosquito net with Insect Shield(permethrin dipped) which has smaller mesh openings and is MUCH lighter wt(2.9 oz) than the 9 0z version your linking. CSpan may have had another model with wider mesh holes without Insect Shield. .

I had the Nano. You may have mis-read my post. I contrasted it with the ones that have larger holes. When I wrote of feeling I could be bitten through it, I meant from the net laying on my skin, not from a bug flying through the holes.

Here's a pic of mine setup at home, with 325 paracord tie-outs instead of stakes. Underneath (no attempt to tuck in, initially - just checking for shape/size - is a footprint for a 2P, 40sf (nominal), 4-season tent I no longer have. For scale, the coffee table surface is at 16 inches; the couch seat is at 18 inches. When I sit up, the top of my head is at about 36 inches. I may have pulled the suspending cord more taut after I took this shot, but even if it rose a little bit, the peak would get narrower (more pointy) as I did. So you can see how sitting up in this might feel uncomfortably similar to pulling nylon hosiery over your head.

(granted, the POV is not from the ideal perspective to judge this, but I don't think it distorts that much)

To me, the fiddle factor is way high compared to just wearing a headnet, with, IMO, very little incremental benefit, and a few shortcomings to boot.

Time Zone
01-23-2017, 08:23
I wrote to S2S and asked them if it was no-see-um proof and they said no. Not sure if that is a problem on the PCT and the insect shield would probably repel them anyway.

I'm surprised; at 500 holes per sq inch, I would think it would be. Guess it's borderline, or depends on who you ask. A quick search turns up standards of 400-625 for noseeum.

hyperslug
01-24-2017, 19:43
I don't know, but here it S2s reply.

G'Day Jeff

Thanks for taking the time to write to us about our Nano Mosquito Shelters.

Whoever reported that our mosquito shelters are not no-see-um-proof was absolutely correct: the mesh used in the Nano (and standard) shelters has 500 holes per inch.

In order for a mesh to counteract no-see-ums, it will need at least 1200 holes per inch. Some no-see-um mesh has over 2000 holes per inch.

The mesh used in our shelters has a high airflow, which makes them ideal for use in tropical and temperate climates. In more northerly latitudes, where no-see-ums are more prevalent, airflow is not so much of a factor.

Time Zone
01-24-2017, 21:40
Wow!

Well, for me, that'd be another reason not to use it. Why pay that much to still be subject to noseeums? (which we have where I live - probably more than mosquitoes).

Thanks for that info.

MuddyWaters
01-24-2017, 21:46
In order for a mesh to counteract no-see-ums, it will need at least 1200 holes per inch. Some no-see-um mesh has over 2000 holes per inch.

the engineer side of me says this may depends a lot on the thickness of fibers making up the mesh, as they take up much of the space.