PDA

View Full Version : Unusual packs -- and looking for places to try them on.

Elaikases
01-22-2017, 22:20
Was looking at alternative backpacks and came across an entirely new world.

Things like: https://www.amazon.com/Speedo-Tri-Clops-Backpack-Red-50-Liter/dp/B00EL3MY0G/ref=vsbg_bckpckn_150732_sr/168-5476171-3557343?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1485137193&sr=1-8

I'm happy having switched out my Baltero for an Osprey (since it fits me and can carry a load nicely), but the Ospreys did not fit my wife's torso.

I'm still looking for a place in Texas she can try things on, but was just cruising Amazon.

How many of you have it things that are that different in the 50 liter or so size range before?

And, that said, where in Texas can you go to try on things (other than the things you can get at an REI)?

Thanks!

Elaikases
01-22-2017, 22:23
Or this. And it ships at 2.5 lbs shipping weight.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F5048AM?psc=1

bigcranky
01-23-2017, 08:26
My wife tried on every lightweight pack known to man, and they all fit her like they were made for men -- long torsos, super wide shoulder straps that dug into her neck and chest, etc. For years she carried an Osprey women's pack that weighed 4 pounds empty, but which fit her very well.

Finally she tried the ULA Circuit, which comes in different torso lengths (short, natch), and - crucially - the S-curve shoulder straps. On her first hike with it, she forgot she had it on.... :) And it's half the weight of the Osprey, and very well made.

Anyway, that's her recommendation. ULA will take it back if it doesn't fit.

That said, for fifty bucks I might try that second one. I seriously doubt it'll fit her, as it doesn't say anything about an adjustable torso, but it looks like a decent Chinese copy of a generic internal frame pack. If it's at all well sewn, it might be a good deal for those whom it fits. Perfect for international travel perhaps.

Elaikases
01-23-2017, 08:45
My wife tried on every lightweight pack known to man, and they all fit her like they were made for men -- long torsos, super wide shoulder straps that dug into her neck and chest, etc. For years she carried an Osprey women's pack that weighed 4 pounds empty, but which fit her very well.

Finally she tried the ULA Circuit, which comes in different torso lengths (short, natch), and - crucially - the S-curve shoulder straps. On her first hike with it, she forgot she had it on.... :) And it's half the weight of the Osprey, and very well made.

Anyway, that's her recommendation. ULA will take it back if it doesn't fit.

That said, for fifty bucks I might try that second one. I seriously doubt it'll fit her, as it doesn't say anything about an adjustable torso, but it looks like a decent Chinese copy of a generic internal frame pack. If it's at all well sewn, it might be a good deal for those whom it fits. Perfect for international travel perhaps.

I'm going to suggest that my wife try a ULA Circuit since they will take it back if it doesn't fit right.

Thanks!

bigcranky
01-23-2017, 09:35
I'm going to suggest that my wife try a ULA Circuit since they will take it back if it doesn't fit right.
!

The only cost is shipping, so for us it was worth it.

I would recommend calling them to talk about the packs and the sizing - the folks there are very helpful.