PDA

View Full Version : Amicalola Falls to Neels Gap

blw2
01-23-2017, 17:49
Hi, new here. I've become fascinated lately with getting back into backpacking and ultimately doing a section AT. Been doing a bit of reading on it, and watched a bunch of documentaries and movies on through and section hiking....and generally getting fired up about the idea.

I'm 50 and haven't backpacked in many years, so I'm a long way out before doing something on the AT. Also, I'm all the way down in North FL, so can't just run out for weekend trips.

I have a son in Boy Scouts, and one scenario I've been toying with was to try to get him interested in joining me. I'd really prefer to do it either on my own or with him alone.... but one scenario I've considered is to maybe invite along his patrol or part of the troop and making it into a DIY Summer Camp for them.... way better than the Merit Badge classroom camps that are the norm! (in my thinking anyway)

Looking for suggestions for a good Southern section hike. I was thinking of a 5-6 day trip length (not counting driving), with maybe a zero day or two (or near zero) built in the middle someplace at a swimming hole or an interesting location along the way.

Somebody suggested, a great start would be Amicalola Falls to Neels Gap..... for either way, just me or with scouts... Actually, I like the idea of that.... start at the beginning and maybe inspire us all to continue on later!

So what do you think of that section?
How long would you plan that section to take for an average flatlander newbie?
Can you suggest any zero day spots to aim for?
Any thoughts on a better section?

Old Hiker
01-23-2017, 18:07
So what do you think of that section?

Very doable with a few months conditioning. Might push a bit further.

How long would you plan that section to take for an average flatlander newbie?

Yourself? Maybe 3-5 days. Took me 4 days with a snowstorm at the end. Low and slow. With conditioned boys, about the same, maybe. Where do you go for summer camp? We would take a week at Woodruff, north GA, and a week (for those who wanted to and trained) on the AT, somewhere between Fontana and Springer.

Can you suggest any zero day spots to aim for?

AWOLs Guide would help or read some Trail Journals (trailjournals.com) to get an idea.

Any thoughts on a better section?

Not really. Try to avoid PA - it may LOOK flat, but the rocks are killer.

Good luck. Hope you have a great time.

blw2
01-23-2017, 19:37
I haven't rounded up an AWOLS guide yet. Picked up a National Geographic map/guide for Georgia, NC, and TN the other day at REI. Nothing so far is jumping out at me as a zero day destination in that section so far.... but then I guess that's not a must have anyway.

I have read a few trail journals but not with this in mind. Good idea.

Last year, the troop went to Skymont in TN. That was son's 1st. The year before while he was still in cubs, they went to Daniel Boone in NC. Next summer they are planning Powhatan up in VA. Folks around here like to go up the mountains for summer camp. I agree it's too hot down here for tenting in the summer, but I have mixed feelings about traveling that far. It causes other problems and issues. As I mentioned before though, I'm of the mindset that a make your own summer camp would be better overall for the scouts... more fun and I think they'd get more out of it....an AT section, or a long distance canoe trip....stuff like that. I take it you are or were involved in scouts, old hiker?

Dan Roper
01-23-2017, 20:01
There are a couple of possible swimming-hole zero spots: Lake Winfield Scott (you'd exist the AT on a side trail near Jarrard Gap or Dan Gap between Hwy. 60 and Blood Mountain) or Vogel State Park (a few miles down US Hwy 129 from Neels Gap; you'd probably want to arrange a shuttle; shouldn't be hard at all).

Starting at Amicalola or at the Forest Service Road near Springer is good. From the FS Road it's a pretty easy three-night trip to Neel's and you can probably do it in two nights. Beyond Neels Gap, much of the terrain is pretty hiker friendly, so if you're looking for a 5- or 6-day trip, likely stopping place might be Ga. Hwy. 75 (Unicoi Gap) or US Hwy 76 (Dicks Creek Gap).

Dan Roper
01-23-2017, 20:03
P.S. The terrain between Horse Gap and Neel's Gap has some tough climbs and some long climbs, so my preceding post will strike you as inaccurate when you get out on the trail. It's tough to be a newcomer carrying a backpack in the mountains, but a man of 50 in reasonable shape can make Neels in two or three nights and enjoy the journey even while huffing and puffing and earning some soreness.

2EZ
01-23-2017, 20:09
There was a Scout troop hiking that area when I started my section last year- camped at Hawk mtn shelter my first night out with them.
However, they were going south, from Unicoi to Amicalola.
I liked their idea of going against the flow of thru-hikers, and it gave them a good ending point.

Maineiac64
01-23-2017, 20:16
That is a nice section but can get very busy depending on when you might go. There is a good bit of elevation variety and some excellent camping spots.

MuddyWaters
01-23-2017, 20:58
double post

MuddyWaters
01-23-2017, 21:03
Take your son. Build quality time with him.

Youll do enough scout stuff with scouts, its not a substitute for personal time with your son.

Stay away from waterfalls.

your actually pretty close., You can drive up on Friday nights, and hike 2 or 3 days, especially on a long weekend, and drive home while taking minimal time off.

skater
01-23-2017, 21:27
What time of year are you planning to go? And do you want to stay in/at shelters, avoid shelters, or don't care?

blw2
01-23-2017, 21:50
Lake Winfield Scott looks like its not too far off the trail. Not far from Neels Gap either. Possibility, although it looks more like a park rather than a swimming hole on the trail. Thanks for the tip!

Muddy Waters, that's exactly the way I'm leaning... I'd really prefer to do it with him..... we'll see.

I don't have a timeframe really.... this is just long term planning. Maybe spring break but more likely summer. Maybe mid summer after the NOBO push passes.... that would be cleared out by June wouldn't it? But it would probably be 2018

MuddyWaters
01-23-2017, 21:54
Lake Winfield Scott looks like its not too far off the trail. Not far from Neels Gap either. Possibility, although it looks more like a park rather than a swimming hole on the trail. Thanks for the tip!

Muddy Waters, that's exactly the way I'm leaning... I'd really prefer to do it with him..... we'll see.

I don't have a timeframe really.... this is just long term planning. Maybe spring break but more likely summer. Maybe mid summer after the NOBO push passes.... that would be cleared out by June wouldn't it? But it would probably be 2018

springbreak is in the thick of things and still cold ish,
summer gets pretty hot, but better than nothing
late spring , like may, is best. First week of may is great time
Memorial day will work too, and have a free day

My son started hiking with me at 11 yr old
His first trip on AT was when 12. 43 mile 2.5 day hike.
Spoiled him for scout hiking...because he was hiking UL at 11 yrs old, and knew how poor most of what scouts did was.
Really hard to get excited about 7 miles a day with heavy packs and kids wearing hand me down boots. One kid showed up in his dads steel toed workboots once. Way too big.

Thats the thing about scouts. Most parents want to spend the absolute minimum amount of $ on their kids gear, trips, etc. With commensurate results. But they drive a nice new car. You have meetings to discuss gear, they dont come. You can send out presentations and gear lists, they dont look at them. Tell them till your blue in face to just get kid running shoes a size up he can wear for 6 mo, and they still show up with the crappiest boots you could buy, sentencing their kid to blisters. Sometimes you cant even get the horse to the water.....

Slo-go'en
01-23-2017, 23:17
For a 5 day trip I'd go from Neel gap to Dicks gap, which is 38 miles so you only have to average about 8 miles a day. Since this is kind of the bumpy section of GA, 8 miles a day might be enough for now. I think there is a water fall along this section too.

You can get to Hiawassee about half way through that stretch, but it's not as easy as at US76. Also, the Top of Georgia hostel is at Dicks gap which makes for a convenient start/stop point and a shuttle back to Neel is available from there.

As for timing, around Memorial weekend would likely be good weather wise and possibly vacation time wise, but a bit busy crowd wise. The week before (last week of May) would likely be decent, with just enough others around not to feel lonely.

I'd suggest not taking a group of Scouts out until you have a bit more experience. I'm not sure what the recommended ratio of adults to kids is, but more then 2-3 kids to an adult can lead to problems. In any case, the maximum recommended (and sometimes legal) group size is 10, preferably less. Groups bigger then 10 monopolize an area (which will likely have others campers there too) and are hard to control, a kin to herding cats. You spend more time waiting around for somebody to get ready then you do actually hiking.

Best to stick with just your son and maybe one other best friend. Keep it small.

hikehunter
01-24-2017, 01:39
If you do the dad and son thing great. However, if you do the Boy Scout thing, the kids can get some Merit Badge work done while on the trail. I took a group of boys (one being my son) to the GSMNP in 2011 for a 50 miler. We really did 63 miles. The got the Forestry badge and a few others and the 50 miler patch. The boys still talk about it today. It did take a lot of planning. It was well worth it. One of the boys is doing a flip flop thru hike this year, as he really got into the long hiking thing.

01-24-2017, 07:45
I suggest winding stair gap to Fontana village, crossing NOC. I think this is 50 miles, and I have seen many scout troops do this section and include, canoe trip and kayak trip at NOC. So it fits the bill for multiple badges.

Engine
01-24-2017, 08:19
I suggest winding stair gap to Fontana village, crossing NOC. I think this is 50 miles, and I have seen many scout troops do this section and include, canoe trip and kayak trip at NOC. So it fits the bill for multiple badges.

Depending on their level of fitness, some young scouts might find descending into and climbing out of the NOC a bit more painful than they're prepared to enjoy.

I think starting at Amicalola and going to Neels would be a great trip for a father and son. No need for a zero day in that stretch, it's only about 40 miles total. Once you get to Neels, rent a cabin for one night at Blood Mountain Cabins and enjoy an evening together with a pizza hot out of the oven before heading home.

Pick your dates carefully though, that entire stretch of trail will be FULL of hikers between late February and early May.

MuddyWaters
01-24-2017, 09:21
Depending on their level of fitness, some young scouts might find descending into and climbing out of the NOC a bit more painful than they're prepared to enjoy.

Nah.
Its the old out of shape farts that think that.

I met group of several 65-71 yr old ladies hiking up cheoah once. Having a great time. Going slow.

HighlandsHiker
01-24-2017, 16:04
Like you I've got a young teen son involved with scouting, and I've also served as our troop's outing coordinator for a couple of years. An outing such as you describe could likely be designed to satisfy certain requirements of various merit badges (camping, hiking, or backpacking) but each of these MB's require multiple outings (in addition to numerous "book learning" requirements) and so its unlikely that any scouts would earn a MB solely based on the outing you describe. (See https://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Boy_Scout_Portal for links to various MB requirements). This also assumes you do the advance administration necessary with his troop to get this considered an "official" BSA outing, all BSA adult leader trainings are satisfied, BSA trip plan is filed, and so on. This is why the BSA camps are popular - all this is done for you, and the scouts can knock-out a lot of MB requirements in a short amount of time.

Trust me, if I hadn't been backpacking in several years, the last thing I would want is to be responsible for a bunch of other peoples' kids in a backwoods environment.

My advice - go, and take your son (and maybe one of his friends) if they're willing. You'll have a blast and make great memories -

blw2
01-24-2017, 16:13

Stay away from waterfalls.

why stay away from water falls?

blw2
01-24-2017, 16:16
funny about the steel toe boots. I've seen what you mean about crappy gear for the kids, but I haven't seen it go that far yet. Mostly for us the camping is plop camping, or what I call tailgate camping, and folks just don't know....even scouters.

blw2
01-24-2017, 16:30
hikehunter and 1234, those merit badges on the side for fun is exactly what I was thinking if it were done as summer camp.
and true enough highlandshiker, they wouldn't necessarily complete a badge on the hike, but then again they could do a lot of it.... or finish them up on the hike maybe....& hey, some of the "book learnin' classroom stuff could be taken care of out there too! That would be much more attractive if I were them....

and NOC would certainly offer up some variety and distractions for a zero day. I had read about that place but forgot the name and location so couldn't find it when I was looking the other day.... Thanks!

Thanks everyone, some good options to consider so far. really got my wheels spinning....

bigcranky
01-24-2017, 16:33
why stay away from water falls?

Several people die every year around waterfalls along the SC/NC/GA border. The rocks are extremely slippery, and it's far too easy to slide over the edge. I know someone who lost a spouse this way, and they were very experience hikers and outdoorspeople.

importman77
01-24-2017, 16:55
Several people die every year around waterfalls along the SC/NC/GA border. The rocks are extremely slippery, and it's far too easy to slide over the edge. I know someone who lost a spouse this way, and they were very experience hikers and outdoorspeople.

A couple of years ago a lady who teaches at the same school as me lost a boyfriend/fiancé the same way in upstate SC. I believe it was at a waterfall on the Foothills Trail. Tragic. Also worth noting is the danger of swimming near waterfalls. Someone can correct me but I believe there was a father/son combo who drowned in recent years at the waterfall, (can't recall the name), near lake Watauga in NC/Tn. The one near the Roan Highlands.

MuddyWaters
01-24-2017, 17:41
A couple of years ago a lady who teaches at the same school as me lost a boyfriend/fiancé the same way in upstate SC. I believe it was at a waterfall on the Foothills Trail. Tragic. Also worth noting is the danger of swimming near waterfalls. Someone can correct me but I believe there was a father/son combo who drowned in recent years at the waterfall, (can't recall the name), near lake Watauga in NC/Tn. The one near the Roan Highlands.
Falls also have under currents that trap. The boy was a scout, they were from louisiana.

ATX-Dad
01-31-2017, 07:28
My 8 year old daughter and I did Amicalola to Neels in 4 days right after school let out last summer. She carried her own gear and set the pace and it went well enough that she wants to do the next 100 miles this summer. We showered at Vogel State Park, which is 3 miles downhill from Neels and it was a nice spot. The distance is short enough to keep your scouts focused on getting to Neels, or you can make a big deal about imagery associated with "Slaughter Creek" and "Blood Mountain" and spend a full day visiting with the day-hikers up there before heading down to Neels (just be sure to bring water up from Slaughter!)

Longboysfan
01-31-2017, 14:33
My 8 year old daughter and I did Amicalola to Neels in 4 days right after school let out last summer. She carried her own gear and set the pace and it went well enough that she wants to do the next 100 miles this summer. We showered at Vogel State Park, which is 3 miles downhill from Neels and it was a nice spot. The distance is short enough to keep your scouts focused on getting to Neels, or you can make a big deal about imagery associated with "Slaughter Creek" and "Blood Mountain" and spend a full day visiting with the day-hikers up there before heading down to Neels (just be sure to bring water up from Slaughter!)

Yes. You can do that trip with the scouts and make it.

Hiker Hostel is a nice place to start - they will feed you in the am then drop your group off where you want.

You can leave your cars there.

They will pick you up at Neel gap.

Only thing I would say is to practice with all of those going in advance on shoes packs and weight in the packs.

blw2
01-31-2017, 16:38
oh, I see what you meant by the waterfall comment, yes I would know to stay back a safe distance....but it is a great reminder taht even experienced folks need to consider and remind themselves form time to time.... very tragic for sure.

and thanks to everyone for the great tips and advice....