PDA

View Full Version : How do you carry your large smart phone, camera etc....need access without removing p

saltysack
01-24-2017, 11:46
In other packs i.e. Circuit and gorilla my large iPhone has alway fit in my pack waist belt pocket but since switching to a MLD prophet it no longer fits...I like having it handy mainly for camera and gut hooks app etc....any ideas? Really don't need a large chest pack like zpacks sells as prophet has more than enough room already. Worst case scenario I can use a plastic belt clip on daisy chain as it's in a life proof waterproof case. The belt clip is a lil heavy....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Water Rat
01-24-2017, 12:21
The MLD website also shows hipbelt pockets for sale - is this the size that no longer fits your phone? http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=46&products_id=70

What about a Zpacks belt pouch? One only weighs .75oz and you can get it in Cuben Fiber or Dyneema. They are plenty roomy inside and definitely have space for an iPhone. After years of having a pack with tiny hipbelt pockets, I am loving the roominess of my Zpacks belt pouches. They can be purchased separately to attach to other packs.

"These clip to your pack's belt at each side for a secure hold. The center of the pouch is held steady by a band of elastic. These are made to fit our backpacks, but they will fit any belts which have a daisy chain or attachment points to clip them."

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/beltpouch.shtml

FiftyNine
01-24-2017, 12:22
My iPhone plus Fits nicely in the waist pouch of the zpack backpack or in the large pocket of my cargo pants/shorts.

Slo-go'en
01-24-2017, 12:28
I bought a large cell phone for my CT hike (5.5", HD screen) so I could see maps in better detail and it had a 16 meg camera. The overall size is 3" wide, 6" long and 3/8" thick and I couldn't find a decent case for it.

So, initially, I had it in the top pocket of the pack, but it was a pain to get every time I wanted to take a photo or check my location since I had to stop and take off the pack. I then discovered I could carry it in the front cargo pocket of my hiking pants and it didn't interfere with my hiking or was otherwise uncomfortable. Just have to remember to put it away if it starts to rain.

saltysack
01-24-2017, 12:33
It's an iPhone 7+...MLD pouch too small but offers a duty bag w biners might work....

saltysack
Ditty

Cheyou
One of those packs was for sale at backpacking light

thom

Gambit McCrae
01-24-2017, 12:51
My phone is in an otter box(iphone7+), case offers awesome protection, and comes with a pretty nice clip. Clip the case holder to strap?

What about side pouch?
I always listen to music so if I were to drop it I would know quickly

DuneElliot
01-24-2017, 13:03
Top mesh pocket of my ZPacks Arc Haul...I can reach back to grab it over my shoulder. I did carry it in my belt pocket for a while but the seam-seal tape gummed up the screen where it was peeling on a corner. I keep my camera in my belt pocket with a very light case.

bigcranky
01-24-2017, 13:15
I like to use a small waist pack worn in the front. Phone, camera, wallet, bandana, maybe a Clif bar - easy access, and it's always with me.

Miner
01-24-2017, 13:43
Several of the cottage manufacturers ( MLD, zpack, , etc) make shoulder pockets that mount to your shoulder strap. Check the dimensions to find one that fits your phone. I've repurposed other soft cases to hold cameras and camcorders off a shoulder strap. It just takes a little imagination when browsing through REI or some online store. I use a Sea2Summit softcell case to carry my 18oz mirrorless camera on my shoulder strap.

saltysack
01-24-2017, 13:44
Side track....poor mans MLD tent stake bag and ditty bag....couldn't resist making these....
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170124/fe6d897fdbf05d1283c6435d1b55623c.jpg

Leo L.
01-24-2017, 13:48
All my hiking pants have a thigh pocket (or two) where the phone fits in easily.
When hiking, its very handy and easy access. My phone is waterproof and in a protective cover.
Only once I've cracked a phone carrying it in this pocket, while rock climbing.

saltysack
01-24-2017, 14:53
I wear jogging shorts with shallow pockets and phone is too heavy as it pulls my shorts down and flops around too much...I decided to order a few zip pouches from Ron, I'll try to use a biner and or a zip tie...

Engine
01-24-2017, 15:35
I got one of these from ZPacks for my wife due to the same concerns you raised. She can wear it around her neck as shown, or clip it to her shoulder straps with a couple of small biners attached to the two side loops. It has a front and rear compartment (she keeps her iPod shuffle and earbuds in the rear compartment, phone in the front) and is as water proof as anything else available.

http://www.zpacks.com/images/accessories/zippouch/travel_zip_worn_l.jpg

saltysack
01-24-2017, 15:39
Thx I just ordered o couple of these to try...very similar...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170124/1a836dcc341e758c0098d9029695f306.png

H I T C H
01-24-2017, 21:55
This can be attached to your pack or your person

https://www.amazon.com/Bastex-Universal-Multipurpose-Tactical-Smartphone/dp/B01G93UQGO#immersive-view_1485309198328

Hitch

Turk6177
01-24-2017, 22:17
I put mine in a ziplock bag and in my shorts pocket (loose underarmour shorts).

Traillium
01-24-2017, 23:26
I see two topics here: 1) how do I carry my phone?; and 2) how do I protect it when it's wet outside?

When it's wet outside I initially keep my phone under my poncho. I only move it into a small Sea2Summit waterproof sac to join the rest of my electronic gear inside my pack. (I now have a significantly improved waterproof phone — so I'll be somewhat less concerned about wetness.

I carry my phone on a whoopie-sling around my neck or attached to a clip on my packstrap that also carries my botanist's magnifier. I extend the whoopie-sling so that the phone is on the long end and usually fits nicely in a pocket on the outside of my pants. Sometimes I carry the phone in a velcroed pocket in my shirt. The whoopie-sling most importantly keeps the phone from falling. I use a small s-biner to clip to a loop that I have glued to the case on my phone. That whoopie-sling has kept my phone very safe.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170125/2b6c43c08c869810d06815fec283ceb5.jpg

saltysack
01-25-2017, 08:50
I'm not concerned with water as it's in a wp case....it's a large phone so doesn't really fit in any shirt or shorts pockets....it's a phablet....[emoji38]so they call the big arse phones....iPhone 7+ in lifeproof case...

la.lindsey
01-25-2017, 09:23
iPhone 7 is already waterproof, FYI. Doesn't even need the case.

I keep mine (iPhone 7+) in a fanny pack in warm weather. In cool weather I prefer the inside chest pocket of a vest. That works well until I get sweaty, and then I usually just stick it in my sports bra. Haven't found a super great solution, and frankly not crazy about these.

I wear leggings and running shorts, so no pockets. Most women's clothing wouldn't have pockets big enough anyways.

I'll probably look for some way to attach it to the straps of my pack when I don't have a way to wear it. I like options. But not in a giant bag, because that would ruin the lines of my pack and mess up pictures.

Leo L.
01-25-2017, 11:35
Carrying the phone in normal trousers pockets is dangerous anyway.
Had this happen long time ago with a small camera (Minox - anybody knows?), when I went to the outdoors bathroom dropping a pile the camera slid out of the trousers pocket and guess where did it land <G>
Since then any camera or smartphone goes in a dedicated pocket exclusively that can be closed by button, zip or velcro.

saltysack
01-25-2017, 12:18
iPhone 7 is already waterproof, FYI. Doesn't even need the case.

I keep mine (iPhone 7+) in a fanny pack in warm weather. In cool weather I prefer the inside chest pocket of a vest. That works well until I get sweaty, and then I usually just stick it in my sports bra. Haven't found a super great solution, and frankly not crazy about these.

I wear leggings and running shorts, so no pockets. Most women's clothing wouldn't have pockets big enough anyways.

I'll probably look for some way to attach it to the straps of my pack when I don't have a way to wear it. I like options. But not in a giant bag, because that would ruin the lines of my pack and mess up pictures.

Yea I have big boobs but no bra.....yet!!! Already have rain skirt and dance pants so what the hell! [emoji23]

I'm in the water often and don't trust "splash proof iPhones". I've been happy with lifeproof cases in the water....I drop them often also!!! I'll let ya know how the smaller MLD zip pouch works....

la.lindsey
01-25-2017, 12:45
Yea I have big boobs but no bra.....yet!!! Already have rain skirt and dance pants so what the hell! [emoji23]

I'm in the water often and don't trust "splash proof iPhones". I've been happy with lifeproof cases in the water....I drop them often also!!! I'll let ya know how the smaller MLD zip pouch works....

the phone can be submerged in up to 1 meter of water for a maximum of 30 minutes

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/how-water-resistant-is-the-iphone-7/

If it helps ease your mind any. The smaller pouch may work- interested to see pictures w a pack.

Maui Rhino
01-25-2017, 14:35
My phone is carried everyday in a belt holster. When hiking, I'll thread the holster on my sternum strap, or clip it to my my pack strap with an S-Biner. If it starts to rain, I'll put it inside a qt Ziploc bag.

It helps that I sew my own custom holster with cordura and plastic plates to protect the screen. Once you put a Lifeproof or Otterbox case on your phone, a lot of the standard cases won't fit it.

QuietStorm
01-25-2017, 17:42
When it's warm I clipped my Otter Box belt holster to my shoulder strap. I now use a battery pack case for extra juice and it's been too cold to have my iPhone exposed (does that weird battery shut off). I keep it in a put-off wool ragg sock inside a neoprene case inside my fleece jacket pocket.