PDA

View Full Version : Loop through the smokies

centerfieldr162
01-24-2017, 12:18
Hey yall

So I have a week off in March and was wanting to hike the AT through the smokies during that time. A few people have dissuaded me due to the large number of thru hikers that will be in shelters during March. I'm still wanting to go and spend a few nights outside. Any loop suggestions? I'm in good shape and can make the miles, whatever they may be. I either want to do one loop that's 3 or 4 days long or I'm open to doing two separate loops possibly on opposite sides of the park. Something with views, less people than the AT, and campsites (or less crowded shelters).

I appreciate any help!

Katelyn

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

G-FOURce
01-24-2017, 13:03
sent you a PM

Ashepabst
01-24-2017, 13:05
yeah, sleeping shoulder-to-shoulder in the backcountry with perhaps a couple dozen others sounds like no fun to me. but alas, most of the big vistas in the park are along the AT. there is a lot of other pretty scenery to be had in the park, though.

HooKooDooKu
01-24-2017, 14:37
Other than the AT, the places I can think of that have views include Gregory Bald, LeConte (but that's staying in a shelter too... just not on the AT), and Mt. Sterling Fire Tower.

If you can manage the hills, one way to see two fire towers (actually, one is technically a "lookout" and not a tower) is to park in Big Creek and make a loop of Chestnut Branch to the AT to Mt Cammerer Lookout, then down Low Gap to CS#37. The 2nd day, follow Gunter Fork (to see some water falls) and then Mt Serling Ridge to camp the 2nd night at CS#38 at the fire tower (or you can use Swallow Fork as a short cut and miss the water falls).

Bmelee
01-24-2017, 17:53
One of my favorite loops from last year started at the Tunnel to Nowhere outside Bryson City. Hiked Lakeshore trail to Bear Creek trail. Stayed first night at CS 75. Second day hiked up Bear Creek to Welch Ridge then up Welch to Hazel Creek Trailand down Hazel to the Calhoun (CS 82) campsite. Third day down Hazel to Cold Spring, up Cold Spring to Welch and a side trip out to High Rocks, then back down Bear Creek to CS75 again and out on the fourth day. Lots of lake and mountain and creek views along the way, some history as well, with a spectacular view from High Rocks. Water levels and crossings might be an issue if we have a lot of rain that time of year. It is a tough loop (especially the Cold Spring climb), but gives you everything the Smokies have to offer.

G-FOURce
01-24-2017, 20:37
Other than the AT, the places I can think of that have views include Gregory Bald, LeConte (but that's staying in a shelter too... just not on the AT), and Mt. Sterling Fire Tower.

If you can manage the hills, one way to see two fire towers (actually, one is technically a "lookout" and not a tower) is to park in Big Creek and make a loop of Chestnut Branch to the AT to Mt Cammerer Lookout, then down Low Gap to CS#37. The 2nd day, follow Gunter Fork (to see some water falls) and then Mt Serling Ridge to camp the 2nd night at CS#38 at the fire tower (or you can use Swallow Fork as a short cut and miss the water falls).

This one is on my to-do list. An upside to this one is that you'll park your car in a campground and wouldn't have to worry about it. I have parked there and headed out to Walnut Bottoms. Big Creek is a great area.

Turk6177
01-24-2017, 22:24
Newfound Gap to Standing Bear Farm. You can probably leave your car at Standing Bear and catch a shuttle to Newfound Gap and hike back to your car. You can have a short first day to Icewater Springs Shelter and will be able to make it the rest of the way easily in four days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HooKooDooKu
01-25-2017, 01:23
This one is on my to-do list. An upside to this one is that you'll park your car in a campground and wouldn't have to worry about it. I have parked there and headed out to Walnut Bottoms. Big Creek is a great area.
Parking at the Ranger Station near the Chestnut Branch Trailhead is also considered a safe place to park. The parking area you're talking about is right at the Baxter Creek trailhead. It's about a 3/4 mile road walk between Baxter and Chestnut Branch.

gollwoods
01-26-2017, 03:02
Here's one if you got good lungs. Up twenty mile creek and down lost cove stay at 90.
Up hazel Creek and Jenkins ridge to Spence
AT and Gregory ridge trail to 13 then down to start.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

country99
01-26-2017, 03:09
cataloochee area has several loop trails, and plenty of elk....38013

Bear Bag
01-26-2017, 18:03
Using the Bartram Trail and the AT together you can make a nice 50-mile loop. Beginning and ending at the NOC. link (http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/60410)