PDA

View Full Version : Briefs or Boxer Briefs

hyperslug
01-25-2017, 12:48
I have spent all my adult life in regular briefs but I keep hearing about chaffing of the thighs on long hikes. I've been backpacking for 40 years but not the daily grind of a thru hike. I doubt there is any scientific data but just trying to get a feel if boxer briefs are an absolute necessity and if so 6" vs 9"? Also would like to hear from those that completed the trail in briefs. Obviously I can switch along the trail if necessary. Thanks so much for any input. This forum is awesome!

Ktaadn
01-25-2017, 12:59
I always were UA boxerjock's with a 9" inseam when hiking. I had terrible issues with thigh chaffing prior to making the switch.

ScareBear
01-25-2017, 13:33
I've been moving to the Ex Officio boxer briefs from the Terramar boxer briefs...I like the Ex Officio fabric better...ahem...down there.....just sayin...

Patchy
01-25-2017, 14:16
Which ever is more comfortable for you... I prefer running shorts. My key to no-chaffing is Body Glide.

moldy
01-25-2017, 15:55
For me, the hotter it is, the worse it is for chaffing. The briefs that work best for me is non-cotton, tight fitting, mid-thigh. The chemistry of unwashed, wet briefs is a very high ph. For me it's not a rubbing issue so much as a alkaline burned sensitive skin issue. When I have this issue the medicine I like best is, Baby diaper rash cream. It's a antiseptic that repels moisture, lowers the ph and has the added benefit of a pain killer to make the baby (and me) shut up.

QiWiz
01-25-2017, 16:32
I think more often than not, hikers find that non-loose form-fitting boxers are less likely to lead to chafing than bare thighs in briefs. YMMV; there is no substitute for one's own experience. Keeping yourself and undergarments clean by washing yourself (daily if possible) and laundering garments on trail (wear one pair, dry another on the outside of your pack while you hike) add to chafing defense. I personally find that powders and such are much less helpful. Overheard on trail: "I've been trying that G--d B--d powder; all I'm doing is making gravy down there". Just sayin . . .

hikerhobs
01-25-2017, 17:22
I like wearing the terramar boxer briefs.

colorado_rob
01-25-2017, 17:41
Depends......

RollTide
01-25-2017, 17:46
I always were UA boxerjock's with a 9" inseam when hiking. I had terrible issues with thigh chaffing prior to making the switch.

God Bless You Ktaadn!!

I had the normal ExOfficio briefs with a 6 inch inseam last year for the first 300 miles. I had major chafing issues with the skin right below them and constantly had to unzip and stretch them down every hour or so, along with medicating the skin with body glide.

You just gave me an epiphany! I ordered 2x 9 inch seams just a minute ago online and I think that should solve the entire problem right there! All the outfitters I visited only carried the 6 inch ones, and I had no idea they made a 9! Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

ScareBear
01-25-2017, 18:37
Depends......

That'll get ya some darn fine Monkey Butt right there!!!

ScareBear
01-25-2017, 18:40
God Bless You Ktaadn!!

I had the normal ExOfficio briefs with a 6 inch inseam last year for the first 300 miles. I had major chafing issues with the skin right below them and constantly had to unzip and stretch them down every hour or so, along with medicating the skin with body glide.

You just gave me an epiphany! I ordered 2x 9 inch seams just a minute ago online and I think that should solve the entire problem right there! All the outfitters I visited only carried the 6 inch ones, and I had no idea they made a 9! Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Ex Officio has them in 9 inch inseams as well...

http://exofficio.com/mens-underwear-sportmesh/give-n-go-sport-mesh-9-boxer-brief/1241-2056.html?dwvar_1241-2056_size=000095L&cgid=mens_underwear_sportmesh&dwvar_1241-2056_color=5673#start=1

Maineiac64
01-25-2017, 18:54

This ......^

bigcranky
01-25-2017, 19:57
None of the above.

Bronk
01-26-2017, 11:51
Once you've lost enough weight that your thighs don't rub together it won't be an issue. I wore boxer shorts and carried baby powder from Neels gap northward. You need to get some air down there and dry out.

cneill13
01-26-2017, 11:57
Neither. Free Willy!

Carl

dzierzak
01-26-2017, 12:57
Depends......

Depends are for old folks ;)

jjozgrunt
01-26-2017, 16:04
Okay you haven't done a through hike of this length, neither have I my longest is only 648 kms. But from everything I have read and seen really the AT is just a series of 4-5 day walks. If you have done one of those and your clothes gave you no problems, wash and start another 4-5 day walk. If you haven't done a 4-5 day walk, then go and do one before you start the AT.

soilman
01-26-2017, 18:19
Okay you haven't done a through hike of this length, neither have I my longest is only 648 kms. But from everything I have read and seen really the AT is just a series of 4-5 day walks. If you have done one of those and your clothes gave you no problems, wash and start another 4-5 day walk. If you haven't done a 4-5 day walk, then go and do one before you start the AT.
That's an oversimplification. You can look at it like a series of 4-5 day walks, but you don't have much if any recuperation time. For the record, I wore UA 9 inch inseam on my thru hike and had no chaffing problems.

D.D.Bear
01-26-2017, 19:06
I have spent all my adult life in regular briefs but I keep hearing about chaffing of the thighs on long hikes. I've been backpacking for 40 years but not the daily grind of a thru hike. I doubt there is any scientific data but just trying to get a feel if boxer briefs are an absolute necessity and if so 6" vs 9"? Also would like to hear from those that completed the trail in briefs. Obviously I can switch along the trail if necessary. Thanks so much for any input. This forum is awesome!

Here's my experience:

Suffered the chafed legs no matter the activity or underdrawers worn. Then I tried these a few years back:

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/bcg-mens-performance-boxer-brief#repChildCatid=256321

My chafing days ended right then and there.

I'm not crazy about 'me being from China. But the product changed my exercise world!

I grab them for ANY outdoor activity (yard work, backpacking, skating ...) Trust me, I live in one of the SE's humidity cookers, have too much European ancestry, and sweat PROFUSELY. Haven't chafed in years.

Just my experience.

Wyoming
02-05-2017, 18:40
For over 10 years now and some 15,000 miles I have worn the typical Nike loose running shorts or swimming trunks with nothing underneath and about 9" long. I can't remember ever having chafing on the thighs this way. Unlike many I don't worry that much about washing them or cleaning them either. On the AT you get rained on so often they are always getting rinsed out. I rinse them with stream water as the opportunity presents itself (no not in the stream btw). Same with my wicking shirt. Washing only when I stop in town.

Briefs of any kind hold more moisture than just letting the junk hang there and get dried from the breeze.

LIhikers
02-05-2017, 22:17
The only time I've had a bad case of chaffing was after doing laundry and using too much detergent in the washer.
Ever since I've hiked in Terramar boxer briefs as a preventative measure.

cliffordbarnabus
02-06-2017, 00:42
commando. really, when you think about it, what's the point of underwear?

slims
02-06-2017, 01:46
Agreed. Free ballin' all the way to Maine is the way to go.

Bronk
02-06-2017, 11:10
Okay you haven't done a through hike of this length, neither have I my longest is only 648 kms. But from everything I have read and seen really the AT is just a series of 4-5 day walks. If you have done one of those and your clothes gave you no problems, wash and start another 4-5 day walk. If you haven't done a 4-5 day walk, then go and do one before you start the AT.When I go out for a couple of days or even a week long trip I may get minor chafing that heals up in a day or two...but when you are spending weeks and months on end dirty and sweaty and wet or damp most of the time your body isn't going to tolerate it as well.

Dogwood
02-06-2017, 11:26
I may never again complain about women justifying all those shoe choices. :D

FiftyNine
02-11-2017, 08:12
I usually always wear hiking briefs. The other day I decided to do a fairly easy 5 mile hike with pack, well forgot to change and I had bad chaffing. I'm heading out for a hike this morning and I won't make that mistake again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DownEaster
03-23-2017, 07:18
My guess is that chafing is mostly a matter of moisture. If wicking fabric leaves your inner thighs drier than bare skin you'll experience less chafing with clingy boxer briefs than with regular briefs. If you've got plenty of ventilation then maybe bare thighs would lead to less chafing.

Personally I'm going to experiment with different length underwear beneath my zip-off hiking pants on training treks around home, and find out exactly how the various garments suit my body. Next week's test is Reebok Performance Boxer Briefs.

Miner
03-23-2017, 11:35
I would wear whatever type of underwear you are use to. If you normally wear briefs exercising, you likely won't have a problem hiking in them.
I've hiked in briefs my whole life and only had issues due to my pants sagging after loosing weight on the PCT. The stitching of the pants crotch area was between my thighs and rubbed them raw. When I made sure to pull them up all the way, the way pants are meant to be worn, and started using a belt and pressure from my hipbelt to keep them there, I had no more problems, including the hiking on the AT.

Wooobie
03-23-2017, 12:48
For over 10 years now and some 15,000 miles I have worn the typical Nike loose running shorts or swimming trunks with nothing underneath and about 9" long. I can't remember ever having chafing on the thighs this way. Unlike many I don't worry that much about washing them or cleaning them either. On the AT you get rained on so often they are always getting rinsed out. I rinse them with stream water as the opportunity presents itself (no not in the stream btw). Same with my wicking shirt. Washing only when I stop in town.

Briefs of any kind hold more moisture than just letting the junk hang there and get dried from the breeze.

I use the same, no underwear. If you get female running shorts they have a nicer liner.

Lyle
03-23-2017, 13:54
Usually, no underwear - let things breath as much as possible.

Most chafing is due to salt accumulation from sweat, at least in my substantial hiking experience. Daily or twice a day wipe down with clear water and a bandanna generally prevents the development of chafing. In the rare case that some starts, a through wipe down in the evening, followed by an application of Gold Bond Medicated powder has solved the problem by the next morning. I carry a small ziplock of the powder, it doesn't take much to effect a cure.

Lyle
03-23-2017, 14:00
[QUOTE=Bronk;2125436]When I go out for a couple of days or even a week long trip I may get minor chafing that heals up in a day or two...but when you are spending weeks and months on end dirty and sweaty and wet or damp most of the time your body isn't going to tolerate it as well.[/QUOTE

No reason to be any dirtier or sweatier on a through hike then on a few day hike. Just because you are hiking, doesn't mean you can't wash and rinse out shorts.

Lyle
03-23-2017, 14:03
I think more often than not, hikers find that non-loose form-fitting boxers are less likely to lead to chafing than bare thighs in briefs. YMMV; there is no substitute for one's own experience. Keeping yourself and undergarments clean by washing yourself (daily if possible) and laundering garments on trail (wear one pair, dry another on the outside of your pack while you hike) add to chafing defense. I personally find that powders and such are much less helpful. Overheard on trail: "I've been trying that G--d B--d powder; all I'm doing is making gravy down there". Just sayin . . .

Use the powder at night, not while hiking. Get to camp, wash, powder, sleep. Next morning, all is well.

Deadeye
03-23-2017, 17:01
my favorite: Duluth Trading Company ArmaChillos

Bansko
03-28-2017, 17:43
Two pairs of Ex-Officio boxer-briefs took me from Georgia to Maine, without any significant chafing issues. I wore them under Prana Stretch Zion pants in cooler weather and a pair of Brooks running shorts when it was warmer.

FiftyNine
03-28-2017, 20:19
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
03-28-2017, 20:29
theres all kinds of chaffing

fat people have thighs that rub together...all the time...thats one kind
dried up salt from sweat in accumulated in the wrong place can chafe too, on the tip of the pickle, on the durf, where a seam is, etc.

I like compression type shorts. Keeps things in place, and wicks sweat away. Washing at week intervals, ive never had a single issue. Besides stank. big plus is dont have to worry about ticks penetrating the nether regions, they wont get under the compression shorts. So someone only needs to check your back , not your arse.

Colter
03-28-2017, 20:32
The A.T. was my first real thru-hike and perhaps the worst gear choice I made was cotton briefs. I would not wear briefs of any kind on another thru-hike. Boxer briefs are a much better choice. The reason I thought I could get by with briefs is that's what I'd always worn and chafing was never a problem. But I'd never walked 17 or 18 miles a day all summer before.

TX Aggie
03-28-2017, 20:36
Kilt. What's underneath, use your imagination.

But when I'm not Kiltin it, I like boxer briefs. I made the switch while deployed to the sandbox. Makes a world of difference. If I do start getting a little chaffing, I use the blue body glide stuff.

Greenlight
03-28-2017, 20:39
I made the switch to boxer briefs a couple years ago, when I started hiking and camping again.

Oh. My. Gosh.

Faves are Ex Officio Give n' Go Boxer-briefs. Six or nine inch depends on where you normally chafe. As usual, YMMV may vary. I have tried a pair of UAs also, and while I didn't like that much compression (the particular model I bought), they did stay put. And I'll tell you, not having to deal with chafing is worth every penny when you're shelling out Jacksons for skivvies.

Rhughesnc
04-23-2017, 21:16
ExOfficio Men's Give-N-Go Sport Mesh 9'' Boxer Briefs. These are so insanely comfortable I slept in them too.

scrabbler
04-23-2017, 21:55
Still not understanding why folks arent unwilling to try "personal" things out for themselves. For goodness sakes, just buy the underwear and if you dont like it hiking maybe you'll like it sitting around the TV. Jeez folks this isnt that complicated. Who cares what I think, it's your sack!

Bansko
04-24-2017, 20:36
Still not understanding why folks arent unwilling to try "personal" things out for themselves. For goodness sakes, just buy the underwear and if you dont like it hiking maybe you'll like it sitting around the TV. Jeez folks this isnt that complicated. Who cares what I think, it's your sack!

Well, to point out the obvious, there are many underwear choices. Only a few of those choices would be suitable for hiking 15+ miles a day for weeks on end. Some people don't want to reinvent the wheel; that's why these forums exist. If you find it embarrassing to talk about your underwear here then so be it.

DownEaster
04-24-2017, 21:09
I've recently tried out Reebok Performance Boxer Briefs (5" inseam) with my L.L. Bean Cresta zip-off hiking pants, and they're working well for me. I haven't yet hiked more than 9 miles in a day with them, and it's too early to tell about durability, but so far I have no complaints.

Greenlight
04-30-2017, 18:02
ExOfficio Men's Give-N-Go Sport Mesh 9'' Boxer Briefs. These are so insanely comfortable I slept in them too.

Hear hear. +1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

blw2
05-05-2017, 20:56

I tried the same only 6 inch....haven't worn them on a hike, just around home and the office. They rode up horribly for me & I didn't care for them...but I'm used to loose boxers so it's prob just something to get used to. I figure the longer 9 inch is probably much better....

VatoGato
05-06-2017, 01:44
I used Exofficio Give-N-Go sport 9" and would not personally recommend. I found that I got mad butt and thigh chaffe when they got wet in rainy weather. In hot weather you also sweat more with tight fitting underwear which in turn leads to more chafe. I am now an advocate of the no underwear go commando method. I use beeswax antichafe cream when I notice any chaffing.