PDA

View Full Version : Packs with back breathability?

JC13
01-25-2017, 14:57
I am aware of only two packs that feature this: ZPacks Arc Blast and the Osprey Exos line.

Z is almost half the weight and twice the price. 55L is more space than I currently require as well.

Exos 38 is pretty much spot on space-wise.

We mainly section in July so I'm looking to possibly transition to something other than my SMD 2014 Fusion which works but man does my back get drenched!

Thoughts? Other manufacturers I missed? Trying to stay under 40oz which is what the Fusion weighs.

gpburdelljr
01-25-2017, 15:10
Breathability is one of the nice things about external frame packs. Unfortunately they are heavier.

devoidapop
01-25-2017, 15:10
I have the Osprey Atmos AG 65. It has suspended mesh and curved frame to keep your back cool. I'm pretty sure they make a 50, but maybe that's still too big for you. The top compartment comes off pretty easily, so that gives you some flexibility on space and weight. They're definitely not UL packs but I think they carry weight well and the breathability has been a real plus for me hiking in NC.

JC13
01-25-2017, 15:20
Yeah, the weight is the real bummer... Wife has the Exos 48 and loves it. I see a couple places where people are saying the Medium Exos 38 with brain removed is ~30oz. Not too shabby, found one on Amazon for $130. I did notice that the Atmos and I think one other moel had the Airframe I looked at the Stratus 36 and it was 3lbs...

2EZ
01-25-2017, 15:37
A consideration between the two is in practical use, as well.
Once you add a pack cover to the Exos, the weight disparity is greater and price disparity shrinks some.

I would never have hiked distance with my Osprey without a pack cover, but do so regularly with the Zpack.

nsherry61
01-25-2017, 15:58
FWIW, as of end-of-season surveys:
1) The Osprey Exos was the most popular backpack on the AT in 2016.
2) The Exos is also the most loved backpack, and overall most loved piece of gear on the PCT even though more people used a ULA Circuit in 2016.

JC13
01-25-2017, 16:00
A consideration between the two is in practical use, as well.
Once you add a pack cover to the Exos, the weight disparity is greater and price disparity shrinks some.

I would never have hiked distance with my Osprey without a pack cover, but do so regularly with the Zpack.I don't use a cover with the Fusion, was planning on using a contractor liner like I already do. But I do appreciate the thought. I guess I will just have to see what the gear budget looks like closer to July, I still have a couple of items to replace.

The Kisco Kid
01-25-2017, 16:48
If you can pack light enough, you can carry the bag on one shoulder like a cool kid in high school. Does wonders for airing out your back so maybe the kids in the hall were onto something

capehiker
01-25-2017, 17:06
The new Sierra Designs Flex Capacitor pack has some arc in it from the pictures I've seen. That may be the closest pack to the Osprey or ZPacks.

Check it out at 1:17 in the video. https://youtu.be/tCtHNYOhWvo

blw2
01-25-2017, 17:09
I'm doing the same search right now funny enough! So far those are the two I have found as well.... well those and the ZPack arch haul too.... early for me but I'm leaning to the osprey at the moment..... based on cost vs how much i'll use it... and the fact that i can go try it on for size and feel.....

JC13
01-25-2017, 17:12
If you can pack light enough, you can carry the bag on one shoulder like a cool kid in high school. Does wonders for airing out your back so maybe the kids in the hall were onto something
Lol, good call! Then I can swap sides when one side gets hot!

cmoulder
01-25-2017, 17:15
The main compartment of the Arc Blast is 42 liters, so overall it is a fairly trim pack.

Might also be able to find an older model Arc Blast in the 45 liter size, which has main compartment size of about 36 liters.

DuneElliot
01-25-2017, 18:35
The new Sierra Designs Flex Capacitor pack has some arc in it from the pictures I've seen. That may be the closest pack to the Osprey or ZPacks.

Check it out at 1:17 in the video. https://youtu.be/tCtHNYOhWvo

This was what I was coming to suggest. Looking at the pictures, and reading Andrew Skurka's design mentality it has enough curve to allow some air between you and the pack. It's a very interesting pack.

nsherry61
01-25-2017, 20:33
The Gregory Z series backpacks are all about venting the users back and carry very nicely. I have used a Z55 a fair bit and loved the way it carried and kept my back cool. I would consider them light weight, not ultralight.

soumodeler
01-25-2017, 20:40
I'm a rather heavy sweater and my ZPacks Arc packs are by far the most breathable to me. I have or have tried Gregory packs, REI Flash packs, and a couple others. I don't fit Ospreys so can't comment there, but they are similar.

bigcranky
01-25-2017, 22:11
I did notice a big difference when I switched from a Circuit to an Arc Haul - my back isn't dry, but it's not drenched. I do like the pack overall. It's large for most hiking for me, but I can also use it in the winter.

JC13
01-26-2017, 09:51
The flex capacitor looks like it does have an arc but would still possibly create hot spots. It also weighs more than my current pack. Waiting to see if a guy I know wants to purchase my current pack and then I will be definitely full bore into finding a replacement. Another perk to the Osprey is the ability to try it on and load my gear in it and see how it handles. Thanks everyone for the ideas and things to look for!

nsherry61
01-26-2017, 23:59
I'm a rather heavy sweater and my ZPacks Arc packs are by far the most breathable to me. I have or have tried Gregory packs, REI Flash packs, and a couple others. I don't fit Ospreys so can't comment there, but they are similar.
FWIW: Just like all ZPacks packs are not the same in back breathability, neither are all Gregory, REI, or Osprey packs all similar in breathability.

The Gregory Z series packs don't even touch your back except at the shoulder-blades and the lumbar region of your back providing exceptional ventilation!

The REI Flash packs have been completely redesigned, so if you haven't tried this year's model, you'll have no idea how they perform.

And, Osprey has their older frame-sheet style backpacks that carry heavy loads very well, they have the trampoline back of the Exos series, and they have the anti-gravity system in their current AG bags, all of which perform very differently from each other.

ScareBear
01-27-2017, 06:43
The flex capacitor looks like it does have an arc but would still possibly create hot spots. It also weighs more than my current pack. Waiting to see if a guy I know wants to purchase my current pack and then I will be definitely full bore into finding a replacement. Another perk to the Osprey is the ability to try it on and load my gear in it and see how it handles. Thanks everyone for the ideas and things to look for!

But, it requires 1.21 Gigawatts...just sayin...

Engine
01-27-2017, 06:57
I'm a rather heavy sweater and my ZPacks Arc packs are by far the most breathable to me. I have or have tried Gregory packs, REI Flash packs, and a couple others. I don't fit Ospreys so can't comment there, but they are similar. I haven't tried many of the other packs noted, but the Arc Haul helps when I'm hiking here in Florida on an 85* day...and if it can help here in this humidity, it'll darn sure work in the mountains!

Engine
01-27-2017, 06:58
But, it requires 1.21 Gigawatts...just sayin... Can't you just go dumpster diving while in town and put some old vegetables in there?

DuneElliot
01-27-2017, 09:41

It's only an oz or two difference in weight. The arc looks pretty substantial to me:

JC13
01-27-2017, 14:22
It's only an oz or two difference in weight. The arc looks pretty substantial to me:
True, it has large lumbar and scapula pads that concern me for hot spots. $100 more then the SMD I have and 2-3oz heavier. The Osprey is ~10oz lighter and $30-60 more than the SMD with a full mesh back contact.

DuneElliot
01-27-2017, 18:16
I came across the Marmot Graviton 38 and 58L on sale for $119 on Massdrop that might be worth taking a look at, and it looks like it also has a lot of back breathability with the mesh and arc. It's slightly heavier than the SMD Fusion 50L though, but only $20 more expensive.

DuneElliot
01-27-2017, 18:18
Actually since you're interested in the 38L Exos the 38L Graviton comes in at 38oz. And it's $129 until the lowest price is unlocked:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/marmot-graviton

JC13
01-27-2017, 18:52
Actually since you're interested in the 38L Exos the 38L Graviton comes in at 38oz. And it's $129 until the lowest price is unlocked:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/marmot-gravitonFunny you mention it! I just saw the email from Massdrop about it. Trying to see if anyone mentions the weight sans brain. The price is definitely a good one!

DownEaster
03-17-2017, 14:34
The Granite Gear Crown V.C. 60 has ventilation channels molded into the back. I think the "V.C." stands for "vapor current". 34 ounces.

JC13
03-17-2017, 19:47
The Granite Gear Crown V.C. 60 has ventilation channels molded into the back. I think the "V.C." stands for "vapor current". 34 ounces.I ended up forgoing the back ventilation for lighter weight, got a Granite Gear Virga II for $118, 19oz. Total packweight once I order our EE Accomplice will be 19.5 lbs with 3 days of food and 2 litres of water.

Elaikases
03-17-2017, 23:20
2) The Exos is also the most loved backpack, and overall most loved piece of gear on the PCT even though more people used a ULA Circuit in 2016.

That is interesting.

Time Zone
03-18-2017, 09:36

It's also worth noting what the least-liked items were in the PCT survey. Sometimes the same item (e.g., ULA Circuit) shows up on both "most liked" and "least liked" lists, presumably because it is used by so many people. So, in some cases, you don't get a sense of the rate of like/dislike, just a count. (true with real life anecdotes, too)

http://www.halfwayanywhere.com/trails/pacific-crest-trail/pct-2016-survey-gear-guide/

FWIW an Osprey pack (but not the Exos) was on the least-liked list.

Dogwood
03-18-2017, 13:26
This was what I was coming to suggest. Looking at the pictures, and reading Andrew Skurka's design mentality it has enough curve to allow some air between you and the pack. It's a very interesting pack.

Indeed Dune Eliot. Good pic.

My only question if pack wt is being heavily considered and the OP is good to go with 40L the Flex Capacitor might be more volume, hence pack wt, than needed.

Dogwood
03-18-2017, 13:27
JC, if you're go to pack volume is 40L or slightly less have you explored frameless packs? It would be up to user ability but some frameless pack users have been able to bend the pack horizontally and/or vertically via packing or virtual frame sheet configurations to have much less material in contact with your back.

Dogwood
03-18-2017, 14:21
It's also worth noting what the least-liked items were in the PCT survey. Sometimes the same item (e.g., ULA Circuit) shows up on both "most liked" and "least liked" lists, presumably because it is used by so many people. So, in some cases, you don't get a sense of the rate of like/dislike, just a count. (true with real life anecdotes, too)

http://www.halfwayanywhere.com/trails/pacific-crest-trail/pct-2016-survey-gear-guide/

FWIW an Osprey pack (but not the Exos) was on the least-liked list.

What we're observing in Mac's survey is an increase in less advanced or less experienced, hence lesser evolved kits/heavier kits, than yrs previous to the exponential increase in PCT usage... DESPITE UL gear advancement NOTING SHARPLY THAT UL PHILOSOPHY IS NOT JUST ABOUT BUYING UL GEAR! It used to be - pre 2012 - the packs listed in Mac's survey would be excessively voluminous for PCT thrus or less commonly used. The face of PCT thrus is/has changing/changed with the increased popularity of first time or less experienced hikers attempting teh PCT as their first really long distance hike or doing long section hikes.

IMHO, the ULA Circuit and ULA catalyst(a large volume pack not typical for PCT thrus pre 2012) was liked/disliked not because of their popularity but because both are hotter more cumbersome larger backpacks to use with no space between the pack and a user's back. Lugging a large volume 70 L + pack through a HOT Mojave Desert has often been vastly unnecessarily for PCT thrus pre 2012 who tended to be more trail savvy experienced. It's why packs with a spacer mesh backs like ZPacks Arc Blast and Osprey's Exos 48 L and Atmos 48 L have been PCT favorites for quite a while.

Blindwolfoncasters
05-04-2017, 17:50
I have the Exos 58 and love it. Not only is the back as cool as it can be, the trampoline also gives great support over your whole back. The belt and straps are pretty weak, so I added some 1/4" closed cell foam to beef them up a bit. It seems like the belt is built with that in mind. I've never seen another one designed like that. I normally carry about 26 ilbs and love it when it gets to 20 ish! After a few days of food are gone. So, I can't recommend the Exos series highly enough.