PDA

View Full Version : Backpacker Gear Guide

Pacific Tortuga
01-21-2006, 16:25
The new gear guide is out.........and thank God it's my last pre-paid issue. You can almost hear the gavel drop, SOLD!PAGE SPACE AND AWARDS, GIVEN TO THE HIGHEST BIDDER :banana OK, that may be a little dramatic but that's how I feel reading it. I have saved old gear guide issues and always look foreward to this time of year along with the AT migration north. Brand name gear just doesn't seem to do it for me like the made in the USA,garage assembled, regular guy and gal hiker tested R&D. I guess Backpacker could'nt make enough money off one issue like that or could it?
I think I'm just still ticked about the Honda M.C add they ran last month.

neo
01-21-2006, 19:19
backpacker sucks,the gear guide sucks,they never list any hammock gear either,:cool: neo

Lanthar Mandragoran
01-22-2006, 00:09
Neo, I think it's you that would like at least one page in this... they have a pic of the new Jetboil GCS (not PCS).

Seeker
01-23-2006, 02:31
WM ran an ad this year, and their gear got rated! how about that!?

hammock engineer
01-23-2006, 03:01
I am still waiting to see a bad review. There has to be one item that just sucks and does not perform.

But maybe not. I see the same thing on the backpackergeartest web site. I don't really see any reviews that say not to buy anything.

Tabasco
01-23-2006, 09:01
It cracks me up every year when people get their (ultra-light) panties in a wad over Backpacker magazine and its' reviews. Always the complaints about the ads. Think about this, suppose, JUST suppose, that the ads are purchased AFTER the reviews? Wouldn't you place a nice big ad if your new widget got a great review? Or the opposite, would you place an ad after your new widget got ripped? maybe spend the ad money improving the product.

As to the whole BAD review issue, there are SO many BAD items in the marketplace, if they included the bad reviews, the magazine would look like a New York Metro phone book.

Lanthar Mandragoran
01-23-2006, 14:53
I like the gear guide simply because there's always gear that I've missed, new possibilities for some gems.

neo
01-23-2006, 15:03
you want see this kinda stuff in the guide:cool: neo

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9723&c=577

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=7889&c=577

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=2698&c=577

Almost There
01-23-2006, 17:40
Most people still are not to the hammock phase. I don't rip them for not reviewing hammock gear. Some of the other issues...ok...but hammocks aren't the easiest to set up, and most people think that they look mor complicated than they are. Besides for every great story I have heard about hammocks, there is a bad one out there as well. It's a learning process, all the same every once in awhile I learn about some new idea out there due to the magazine. I don't love backpacker, but I don't hate it yet, either.

Seeker
01-23-2006, 18:58
Most people still are not to the hammock phase. I don't rip them for not reviewing hammock gear. Some of the other issues...ok...but hammocks aren't the easiest to set up, and most people think that they look mor complicated than they are. Besides for every great story I have heard about hammocks, there is a bad one out there as well. It's a learning process, all the same every once in awhile I learn about some new idea out there due to the magazine. I don't love backpacker, but I don't hate it yet, either.

hanging a hammock's no harder than figuring out how to strap on that pack on page 28! that's one big mother... all sorts of straps and bells and i think i saw a whistle or two...

littlelaurel59
01-23-2006, 23:04
It cracks me up every year when people get their (ultra-light) panties in a wad over Backpacker magazine and its' reviews. Always the complaints about the ads.

I enjoy reading through Backpacker, but not for the ads or reviews. I find some articles entertaining. Some remind me of places I have been, or inspire me to dream of new places to go.

I am cheap (Just ask my son), and I am not tempted to buy something just because it is the latest (or the lightest). There are lots of suckers out there who have to upgrade every few years to the newest gadget, and the big name producers (of outdoor gear, electronics, automobiles, and everything else) feast on them. In fact, the producers spend tons of money on marketing in order to make the suckers dissatisfied, so the suckers will give even MORE money back to the producers. The suckers work themselves to the bone to support the producers. In biology, the term is PARASITE.

Buy (or make) that which satisfies your need, and that which will last. The joy comes from USING it, not OWNING it. Happy trails!!!

Frosty
01-23-2006, 23:23
you want see this kinda stuff in the guide:cool: neo

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9723&c=577

Backpacker magazine has a centerfold? Miss Hammock 2006 needs a shave :D

Almost There
01-23-2006, 23:55
Seeker,

I understand what you are saying, and many who have made the switch love them, but all the same, here's a list, insulating in cold weather, keeping it level, sliding in the hammock, etc. It's an art and this is from people who have logged major miles carrying their hammocks. Most of the gen pop are still tent campers, and until this changes, backpacker which has become more mainstream isn't going to start raving about the merits of hammock camping. BTW I will say this, most I know who have refined their hammock hanging rave about how great a night's sleep they get, and how much lighter hiking it is. It is something I will probably move to one day, but for now I still love my tent. As for Backpacker, some of the stuff I like and some of it I don't need, but to each his own.

Blister
01-24-2006, 17:21
As many of you have witnessed my own dismay towards the big companies and the opinions included. I have been given the opportunity to review gear for backpacker this summer on my hike. I have not decided whether I will dedicate myself to the job quite yet. This offer coming after they were forwarded a copy of my backpackers obituary. The perks - it pays $ and the gear is free. It would give me the inside nitty gritty on whether they ever accept a bad review. The con - well it would be gear assigned to me, although they are willing to find products to fit my given criteria, for example within weight limits. I am always for making money while I am hiking as I did in 2000 writing for a newspaper, every cent does help. Would I be a hypocrit or not?

hikerjohnd
01-24-2006, 17:27
Does anyone know if BP has ever addressed the negative comments most of us seem to have? I dropped my subscription years ago, but always picked up the gear guide. After last year's big disappointment, I don't think I'll ever buy again. But I was thinking about writing a letter - so have they ever commented on their obvious changes?

Almost There
01-24-2006, 17:44
Blister go for it! That way you can give us the insider scoop of how they take your review, and verify later on if they changed it or used it!

clayrfarris
01-24-2006, 22:56
In the list of features for some of the bags is the code "ZO". There is no explanation of this code in the key. Any ideas?:confused:

Skidsteer
01-24-2006, 23:28
In the list of features for some of the bags is the code "ZO". There is no explanation of this code in the key. Any ideas?:confused:

Without reading the article, I would guess "zipper orientation" or something to do with the zipper?

RedneckRye
01-24-2006, 23:48
Blister... Go for it. Nothing wrong with free gear or getting paid to do what you love. If you give them your review/opinion and they don't use it, at least you got to use free gear. Free/super cheap gear is the main plus to my job, so I've owned more gear in the last 8 years than a whole crew of hikers need. Assuming they let you keep the gear you can always sell it.
One thing to keep in mind about all magazines is that they have to keep the advertizers happy. Without the ads, the magazine that sells for $4.50 at the newsstand would probably cost twice that.

Blister
01-25-2006, 14:53
According to the Gear editor - you don not keep the free gear. After testing it is sent back to Backpacker, they review it and then return it to the manufacturing company, where they can look it over for wear tear ect.... But I will be able to use needed equipment instead of buying it, hence lowering the actual cost of the hike.

Ridge
01-25-2006, 15:02
I cancelled Backpacker many years ago. The "Gear Guide" may as well be called the "Steer Guide". I realize you have to have sponsors but the magazine just got too "Hollywood" for me. I get more info when I want it from the web.

The Scribe
01-25-2006, 15:19
Must be January. Time for the frost heave and the annual bash BP thread.:bse

Toolshed
01-25-2006, 15:21
I was going to say
"My God!!!! What is with all the negativity for a magazine that provides information for so many other people. Obviously not like the elite few that are posting here"
then I realized someone could go back at my old comments and replace "Magazine" with "Wingfoot" and I would be a hippycrite. Yikes!!!!:datz

Mags
01-25-2006, 16:38
I was going to say
"My God!!!! What is with all the negativity for a magazine that provides information for so many other people. Obviously not like the elite few that are posting here"
t

I don't think BPer (and most outdoor/sports magazine in general) really apply to the average person. Forget we are hikers in a niche past time.

Magazines aren't aimed at the general populace. BPer magazine is now aimed at very affluent person who dabbles in backpacking along with other hobbies.

There is nothing wrong with BPer magazine per se..I just don't think it is a good resource anymore for the *AVERAGE* backpacker. When I started backpacking, the magazine was more of a "nuts and bolts" magazine. It has evolved into more of a Outdoor Lifesyle Magazine. (again, along with most other outdoor focused magazines).

I find that in every outdoor hobby (hunting, running, what-have-you) that the magazines are more for the 'dabbler' who has some money to burn on many hobbies. Again, not a bad thing per se, but not for the person who is
a) new to the sport b) on the other end of the spectrum [most of us]

These magazines best serve people with casual interest who have many hobbies (and the money to support it) The ads reflfect the demographics of the magazines.

I'll post this link again as it seems appropos. JMF is a former contributing editor to backpacker mag:
http://www.mountaingazette.com/art.php?uid=190&date=2004-10-01

Nicely sums up the evolution of just not backpacker mag, but other outdoors mags too (at least, I think so).

So, I am not bashing the magazine. I just don't think it servers my current needs. And I don't think the current form would serve the needs of someone new to backpacking.

Ridge
01-25-2006, 19:53
Backpacker does have nice pictures, and the gear is pretty. Some of the articles are good. But when you can get the same stuff on the www for free then , bye bye baby good bye.

fivefour
01-27-2006, 14:36
Neo, I think it's you that would like at least one page in this... they have a pic of the new Jetboil GCS (not PCS).

I saw that and can't find anything else about it. They do say they were testing a proto-type, so I guess I will sit and wait. You would think the jetboil homepage would at least have something about it.

fivefour
01-27-2006, 14:39
Ok, I tried again and found something. I wasn't putting the GCS part ... DOH !

drsukie
01-27-2006, 23:59
I don't think BPer (and most outdoor/sports magazine in general) really apply to the average person. Forget we are hikers in a niche past time.

Magazines aren't aimed at the general populace. BPer magazine is now aimed at very affluent person who dabbles in backpacking along with other hobbies.

Maybe it is more general ...more than you think. :cool: I was in ad magazine sales for 13 years, then went indy, then sold my ad sales company to Reader's Digest. Then changed careers and now I am an independent chiropractor; yes, total shift.

I know a little bit about the ad game...

The likely demographic (audience profile) for B'packer is: Male 18-49 (or 25-54, standard demographic segments); secondary demo Adults 18-49 (to account for us wimmin). Education: some college or greater; Income: Probably about $30M Plus; Job Category: Professional/Technical. Other demos like own home, etc. likely do not count. Read the ads - if you fit this demo(graphic) and like the ads and read them, then BINGO, you fit. If you don't really look at the ads, you are a secondary market. Also FYI - a successful magazine needs a 45% edit/55% advertising ad ratio to make it commercially.

Bottom line? " Most" people who READ and backpack are young males, not in a long-term job yet, not married, making good money, college-educated, and lots of dough to spend on toys. Discretionary income is just that - discretionary. Not needed for the mortgage, kids, diapers, you name it.

However, people like me - female, 46, single, good income, post-grad degree, own my biz - ARE a secondary market, and that is what you are thinking about. BUT, we are secondary......not becuase of who we are, but becuase we buy less in terms of bulk in the marketplace.

Honestly? I think they do a good job. I've been on the editorial end and the ad sales end of publishing. B'packer has a hot product, and will for at least another 10 years until focus shifts again to - whatever! :D Sue

Mags
01-28-2006, 17:18
Bottom line? " Most" people who READ and backpack are young males, not in a long-term job yet, not married, making good money, college-educated, and lots of dough to spend on toys. Discretionary income is just that - discretionary. Not needed for the mortgage, kids, diapers, you name it.

I politely disagree. The ads in BPer mag are for luxury SUVs and many aimed at families (re: the honda ad last month). I think the demographics are people my age, but at a higher income level . Whether you are right or I am, our description is hardly general. So my original thesis is still correct: It is not aimed at the average backpacker.

It is for the dabbler. If your thesis is correct about the target market young men (22-35 lets say), then it still supports mine. Why? Because the majority of people in my peer group are dabblers for outdoor sports. Not a bad thing. The magazines just reflect the trend in outdoors. Most people into the outdoors have a "jack of all trades" type interest in their outdoor pursuits. And the outdoor magazines reflect this trend. The average person interested in backpacking probably does not have the discretionary income to buy luxury SUVs. The dabbler does.

Heck, if you don''t believe me read the article from the guy who WROTE and was an editor for BPer Mag.

Mags
01-28-2006, 17:22
Honestly? I think they do a good job. I've been on the editorial end and the ad sales end of publishing. B'packer has a hot product, and will for at least another 10 years until focus shifts again to - whatever! :D Sue

One last comment: I was not discussing BPer mag as a "product". Rather was discussing if it really fits the needs those new to backpacking and/or more experienced people. I say no.

Perhaps that is why I don't seriously read any outdoor mags...because they *ARE* products and not reflective of the interest of people who have a more in depth interest in their pasttime. Is that bad? Not per se. Do these products make them a useful tool for those interested in an outdoor pursuit? I politely say no.

Sly
01-28-2006, 17:55
to Blister:

I don't think I'd be willing to carry something heavier than it needs to be, even if I were getting paid. It's a long tough trail and the less your gear weighs the better.

Now if they're offering you lighter than you already have gear, go for it.

Sly
01-28-2006, 18:00
Backpacker does have nice pictures, and the gear is pretty. Some of the articles are good. But when you can get the same stuff on the www for free then , bye bye baby good bye.

I've paid in the past and not sure if I'll ever subscribe again but I'm getting a free subscription now since I recently joined the American Hiking Society.

Blister
01-29-2006, 13:05
Sly - According to the woman that I am dealing with - I have already explained to her that I have the gear to do the trail, if she has anything that is lighter than my current items - I will definatley check it out. Trust me - I have been on the direction of goin lighter not heavier and will continue in that direction. I'll know in a week what they have to offer, I can decline any of the items.

Jack Tarlin
01-29-2006, 13:49
Wow, some of you guys are awful hard on Backpacker, I think.

While it's true that some of their advertising decisions have been questionable in recent months (Including a doozy this month, which shows a mud-spattered Toyota 4-Runner barrel-assing thru what looks like a rainforest. There's also another promoting Nevada tourism which has a thmbnail photo of a backpacker, but also features monster jeeps, ATV's, and off-road motorcycles zipping all ove what looks like a desert wilderness).

In other words, for a magazine whose main interest is ostensibly promoting backpacking, they seem to spend too much time helping promote other activities that aren't exactly "Leave No Trace" in nature.

But other than this minor quibble, and their tendency to promote high-end toys and gadgets, I think the magazine does a pretty good job. We need to remember that only a tiny fraction of the hiking community is interested in long-distance backpacking. The vast majority of folks are interested as hiking as recreation, and usually short-term recreation at that. The magazine is obviously geared towards this group, so it's all too easy for long-distance hikers to make fun of the more Yuppified, mainstream aspects of the magazine.

Thru-hikers tend not to think much about the rest of the hiking community, but remember, we represent but a fraction. Most folks out there are indeed interested in new toys, high-end water filters, folding saws, etc.and mainstream magazines are primaril geared towards this kind of person.

And as for the annual Gear Issue, I look forward to it. It helps give me an idea of what the new gear is like before I can check it out in person; the various charts are also useful for comparing different products from different manufacturers. At a glance, one can compare sizes, weights, prices, etc. This comes in handy when one is considering between three or four similar products. I often use the Gear Issue as a starting point, and then when I see (often for the first time) a product that looks interesting, I'll then get more info from the company website, or I'll send away for a catalog. This way, when I see something on display in an Outfitter, I'll usually have an idea of what it is already, and whether or not it's something I might want to consider. I think it's a lot easier to shop for gear, and one is more likely to make wise decisions if one has an idea of what's out there and what the new products are like, and the annual Gear issue provides exactly this information.

Ridge
01-29-2006, 14:31
.......In other words, for a magazine whose main interest is ostensibly promoting backpacking, they seem to spend too much time helping promote other activities that aren't exactly "Leave No Trace" in nature........

Wherever the money's at! Ad's= money, so there you are.

Just Jeff
01-29-2006, 14:50
I see the same thing on the backpackergeartest web site. I don't really see any reviews that say not to buy anything.

Here's one...though it's only an OR on some food.

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Food/Packaged%20Meals/Mountain%20House/Owner%20Review%20by%20Jeff%20Jackson/

Though I did get some pressure to change "flat-out disgusting" to something more mature, so I chose "particularly distasteful."

But in general I agree with you - I see a lot more justification required for negative comments than for positive ones.

peter_pan
01-29-2006, 20:37
the Backpacker Gear Guide is not all inclusive.... especially if you do not advertise with them.... Accordingly, we added a JRB quilt comparision chart to our web site to make it easier for the more discerning shopper... See you all at Trail Days where the Gear info is first class and hands on.

Pan

Fiddleback
01-29-2006, 21:10
"Backpacker" has always perplexed me...sometimes I page through it in five minutes, sometimes I read it page by page. On top of that, it's one of the most expensive magazine subscriptions I have and I have a lot of 'em.

It strikes me that those that have posted in this thread, those that don't like the mag and no longer pay for it, are the ones that BP is not targetting. If this is correct, then their marketing may be spot on...or not.:-?

About a year ago I was asked to comment on future stories, cover suggestions, etc. by BP. I imagine there were 10s or 100s or even 1000s that were similarly recruited. Periodically, I got an email directing me to a survey which asked questions of the sort, 'Which article would you rather see in BP..?', or, 'What kind of locations would you like to see featured...?' Each survey ended with a 'suggestions' box in which we could free wheel and tell them what we wanted to see (as opposed to selecting from the multiple choice answers they provided with the questions). I always said, 'Review cottage industry manufacturers and gear.' I had dreams of articles about Hennessy Hammocks and Western Mountaineering and the stove builders on the 'net and EBay.:rolleyes:

I never saw the magazine respond to my suggestion. Come to think about, I haven't seen a survey in a while, either.:o

FB

betic4lyf
01-30-2006, 20:20
they try to make money. the more time someone spends doing anything, the less time they have to work, and buy stuff for their hobbies. thats why the magazines never traget the really hardcore people, because they already know what they want, and the beginners, won't buy expensive things. hence backpackers demographics. if you understand that they arent trageting the average hiker, but the one with money to burn, and want something to look at then you are set. backpacker isnt that bad, for who they are targeting.

Skidsteer
01-30-2006, 20:32
[quote=betic4lyf]they try to make money. the more time someone spends doing anything, the less time they have to work, and buy stuff for their hobbies. thats why the magazines never traget the really hardcore people, because they already know what they want, and the beginners, won't buy expensive things. hence backpackers demographics. if you understand that they arent trageting the average hiker, but the one with money to burn, and want something to look at then you are set. backpacker isnt that bad, for who they are targeting.[/quote

You're really 17? You got some wisdom there,son!

drsukie
01-31-2006, 00:17
[quote=betic4lyf]they try to make money. the more time someone spends doing anything, the less time they have to work, and buy stuff for their hobbies. thats why the magazines never traget the really hardcore people, because they already know what they want, and the beginners, won't buy expensive things. hence backpackers demographics. if you understand that they arent trageting the average hiker, but the one with money to burn, and want something to look at then you are set. backpacker isnt that bad, for who they are targeting.[/quote

You're really 17? You got some wisdom there,son!

Ditto!! :sun Sue