PDA

View Full Version : Renting Hotels & Hostels Under The Age Of 21

heather_
01-26-2017, 00:27
I'm 19 years old and i'm a little concerned I might be rejected to hotels and hostels because of my age. In my state they don't like giving rooms to people under 21. Do you think i'll have issues from your experience? :)

hikehunter
01-26-2017, 00:35
If you have a credit card in good standing there should not be a problem with a motel. Hostels will most likely be fine as well. Maybe a pre-paid card ?

shelb
01-26-2017, 00:47
I'm 19 years old and i'm a little concerned I might be rejected to hotels and hostels because of my age. :)

I have seen many 18-19 year olds in Hostels. The Hostels I have been in accept either cash or credit. Now, a hotel might be a different story, but then you should just set it up that your newest BFF's on the A.T. are the ones to pay for it, and you give money toward the cost!

moldy
01-26-2017, 09:00
Most of the hotels you will be real **** holes and they won't care. You should also know that unless on the rare instance your trailname becomes "Lone Wolf" you will be part of a team within a week and as you get further North your team will become your hiker family and you won't be going to the hotel alone. You will share rooms, just like shelters with your trailmoms, traildads, trailbrothers and sisters. It will be a shared cost. 3 or 4 of you might be all sleeping in the same room. A 60 dollar rooms might be 15 for your share.

Lone Wolf
01-26-2017, 09:03
Most of the hotels you will be real **** holes and they won't care. You should also know that unless on the rare instance your trailname becomes "Lone Wolf" you will be part of a team within a week and as you get further North your team will become your hiker family and you won't be going to the hotel alone.
huh?...........

Bronk
01-26-2017, 11:40
In the south hotels will want to see a marriage license or other proof of marital status if more than one person occupies the room.

Slo-go'en
01-26-2017, 11:43
In the south hotels will want to see a marriage license or other proof of marital status if more than one person occupies the room.

Motels in trail towns along the AT know the score and if you have a pack and stink, no questions asked.

GoldenBear
01-26-2017, 15:29
> In the south hotels will want to see a marriage license or other proof of marital status if more than one person occupies the room

When we got married 34 years ago, my wife kept her birth name. I've thus spent decades living with the fact that we have different last names, a fact that STILL confuses some people. However, it's kind of nice that, when I get a call asking me if I'm "Mr. Jones" (let's say my wife's name and title are "Mary Jones PhD"), I get to respond (truthfully), "There's no Mr Jones living here; you must have gotten a wrong number."
ANYWAY, out of fear that the manager of some place, somewhere would deny us lodging because s/he thought we weren't married, we carry a copy of our marriage certificate when we go traveling.
I can tell you the EXACT number of times we've had to show a marriage license in order for both of us to occupy a room: because it's ZERO. This includes DOZENS of times we've stayed at lodging south of the Mason-Dixon Line -- starting with our wedding night and continuing to last spring.
I don't know the basis upon which you made the above statement, but it's COMPLETELY contrary to our decades of experience.

la.lindsey
01-26-2017, 15:35

.../sarcasm? Because no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lone Wolf
01-26-2017, 15:35

that's just not true

daddytwosticks
01-26-2017, 16:41

This is 2017. :)

bamboo bob
01-26-2017, 17:37
>
I don't know the basis upon which you made the above statement, but it's COMPLETELY contrary to our decades of experience.

Same issue for me.Utter nonsense.

MuddyWaters
01-26-2017, 21:55

In TN its OK if its your sister as well.

Furlough
01-27-2017, 07:25
I gotta think this must have been written tongue in cheek. Never ever had that happen in all the my years living in the South. That includes a few trips in Florida.

MuddyWaters
01-27-2017, 08:56
I gotta think this must have been written tongue in cheek. Never ever had that happen in all the my years living in the South. That includes a few trips in Florida.

This actually was the case once upon a time, when motel businesses didnt want to be seen as beds for prostitution or trysts. However, that was 1960s. Maybe early 70s. Couples had to at least pretend to be married to check in

Gambit McCrae
01-27-2017, 09:11
Back on topic here. Hotels if you venture a little bit from the trail like to DC, NY...you MAY have issues with a hotel but most people when heading to the BIG cities, go with a crowd so it would be easy to pitch in on a room with those folks.

Just gunna chalk the marriage license comment up to mistaken humor... If it wasn't then well...get hitched by neels?..

importman77
02-03-2017, 13:20
I live in a small town in South Carolina and the local two bit motel will rent you a room (by the hour) and the only document you will need is green with a dead president on it.

Dogwood
02-03-2017, 15:07
If you're willing to pay $10 and go by Papa de Giorgio no problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRTbPZz0UMI

Tennessee Viking
02-03-2017, 15:34
I have never been carded for a hotel room. You usually just need a credit card.

I would think the work around would be to make a reservation before going into a hotel or call someone to make the reservation for you.

YoungBloodOnTrail
02-03-2017, 16:00
I was 18 when I hiked the AT in 15. It's true most hotels in general won't let you rent under the age of 21, but the ones along the AT are accustomed to hikers and won't give you a hard time about it. I've never been turned down for one, on the AT or PCT, and I'm still only 20.

ldsailor
02-06-2017, 17:45
In the south hotels will want to see a marriage license or other proof of marital status if more than one person occupies the rookm.

I didn't find that to be the case in GA, NC and TN. I hiked with a couple of different women, one young enough to be my granddaughter and another my age, and there was never a question about relationships when we checked into hostels and/or hotels.