PDA

View Full Version : money

country99
01-26-2017, 03:40
I'm getting ready for an AT thru hike this year, and am struggling with an issue i hope y'all can help me with. ok, so you've got your money saved up, for an example, lets say $5,000. i know you need to carry some cash, and I've heard people use debit cards. question is, how much cash to carry?. also, being from s.c., is my debit card gonna work in n.y. or maine?. do you get cash out of atm in different towns, and if so don't they charge you like a couple bucks to do that? i hate paying money to get my money. anyway, you see where I'm going with this. anybody that can offer suggestions, or let me know what worked for them, would be appreciated. i know i don't want to hike with 5 grand in my pack or pocket, just need some help with the logistics of this... thanks....

MuddyWaters
01-26-2017, 06:16
Use credit card as much as possible

First, you can get about 2% back in some form, that using debit doesnt give you. Assuming you pay bill in full

Next, its less worry or inconvenience to you if lost or stolen or fraud.

Last, hotels, etc will put hold on card when check in , can take 3 weeks to clear from debit cards , tieing up your money. With repetitive lodging stays , people have found $500+ of their money not accessible. Never ever use a debit card to check into lodging or pay for gas. Even buying $2 gas, some companies like put $100 hold on card that lasts a day or 2. Most do $1 hold.

$100-200 is plenty cash to keep on hand

Engine
01-26-2017, 06:32
If you can get a cash back credit card from the same bank as your checking account, you can pay the balance with a simple online transfer between accounts. It makes things very easy, even on a LDH.

ScareBear
01-26-2017, 06:57
If you can get a cash back credit card from the same bank as your checking account, you can pay the balance with a simple online transfer between accounts. It makes things very easy, even on a LDH.

+1 on cash back card with no fee from your back because you have an account there. Or, open an account at a major bank(BofA, Chase, Wells, etc...) and get one of their cards with no fee and have the ability to go to a brick-and-mortar bank near the trail, if necessary. Don't forget to let the card issuer know that you will be on an epic 5 month adventure and the charges from little towns in the middle of nowhere are legit...

Also, don't forget to bring a debit card...just sayin...

I recommend carrying $200 when on the trail. I break it down into 5-20's in the wallet and a Benjamin taped to the bottom of the arch of my insole...that way if you get separated from your wallet, you will have cash. It is unlikely you will become separated from your boots...although...YMMV...

I recently found a $100 Traveler's Cheque from...1986...in my passport case...which I haven't used since 2000(I just carry my passport in my front pocket these days...)...I always stash a hundred bucks somewhere...although...a hundred bucks 30 years ago was worth a lot more....just sayin....

Engine
01-26-2017, 07:05
... and a Benjamin taped to the bottom of the arch of my insole...that way if you get separated from your wallet, you will have cash. It is unlikely you will become separated from your boots...although...YMMV....

Excellent idea!

Traveler
01-26-2017, 08:41
$200.00 in the pocket is probably all you'd need as a general rule. An ATM account would help for cash, you can get cash from any ATM machine, though out of system banks or store ATMs have a charge of a few dollars to use, but do make it easier to get cash. You can use a national chain for this, like BOA, Wells Fargo, etc, and look for their terminals in most towns

Agreed with the use of a credit card, however if its not a pre-paid card paying the bill monthly may be a problem if there is no one at the billing address who can pay these bills. You can probably make arrangements with your bank to get a card with access to a savings account to pay the bill automatically, though there would probably be a service charge.

4eyedbuzzard
01-26-2017, 09:42
I always carry two different cards, just in case one gets compromised. If this happens it can take 10+ days for the bank to mail you a new card, and mailing to other than a home address is often difficult. You could keep a large cash buffer, but having a second card is just a lot easier than inviting the problems of carrying a lot of cash.

4eyedbuzzard
01-26-2017, 09:45
Also, you can get up to $100 cash back at WalMart or the US Post Office with any purchase (buy a postcard and send it) with no added fee. Most grocery stores do this as well.

colorado_rob
01-26-2017, 09:46
Just my own method, worked well for my first AT hike and other long hikes (LT, JMT, much of the CT): I'm generally an exclusive credit card user in "real life", love that 2-6% cash back thing, but on the trail it seems to me that a lot of folks appreciate good old cash, so I carry a bit more than most, apparently.

I try to start a long hike with about $300 in mostly 20's but a good amount of 5's as well, plus a few singles for the occasional soda machine along the trail. This is in addition to the cash needed for the trailhead shuttle.

One advantage of cash is settling up restaurant/bar tabs when with a group of fellow hikers; you can just figure out your share plus tip, throw it on the table, and be on your way. Dividing up a food tab when folks have only credit cards is a pain.

I also think hostel owners prefer cash a lot of times. As do a lot of vendors right along the trail.

For anything major though, like real hotels, etc, I just plop down a credit card. My credit card is paid automatically out of our checking account every month, with a pre-payment email announcement of the amount, which I try to check on now and then for false charges. There is no fee whatsoever for any of my auto-pay bills. These days there should not be any such fees, if you have fees, get a different card or a different bank.

So, my little hiker wallet starting out, a small ziplock, has this roughly $300 cash, my drivers license, a credit card and an ATM card, which is also a debit card, though I've never used it as such. I personally never understood the concept of a debit card, and have never used one. For this spring's AT hike I'll be with my wife this time, we'll probably start out with $500 total between us. She will also have a credit card, a different one just in case one card goes belly up for some reason, like a fraudulent charge and subsequent closing of the account.

MamaBear
01-26-2017, 10:27
A lot of good ideas and advice given already on this thread, you just need to decide how to play it.

If you decide to use your debit card - for purchases or just getting more cash - check with your bank first and let them know you'll be traveling for 6 months or so up the seacoast. My local bank has a very sensitive fraud/identity theft sensor and if I am traveling anywhere at all, I let them know and they put some sort of notice on my account as to where I'm traveling and for how long. If they don't know, they shut down my debit card. Not good for long distance hiking or any travel at all. Again, probably another reason not to use the debit card very much while traveling and stick with the credit card.

colorado_rob
01-26-2017, 10:33
... If you decide to use your debit card - for purchases or just getting more cash - check with your bank first and let them know you'll be traveling for 6 months or so up the seacoast. My local bank has a very sensitive fraud/identity theft sensor and if I am traveling anywhere at all, I let them know and they put some sort of notice on my account as to where I'm traveling and for how long. If they don't know, they shut down my debit card. Not good for long distance hiking or any travel at all. Again, probably another reason not to use the debit card very much while traveling and stick with the credit card. Good point MB, but I think this is also true for credit cards, I always giver my CC company a heads up when I'm travelling for a good bit of time. I did have a regular credit card denied once some time ago when I did not do this. CC companies are more diligent these days due to increased CC fraud. The good news is that phone service is available nearly everywhere along the AT these days, a simple call fixes any such problems.

Bronk
01-26-2017, 11:16
Use your debit card when you can and ask for cash back. The post office will give you up to $50.

MuddyWaters
01-26-2017, 11:16
When i have a trail of purchases strung out as I travel, no problem.
Show up suddenly 2000 miles from home and use card for large purchase=problem. Nothing a phone call dont fix though.

country99
01-27-2017, 02:01
thanks everybody for yalls input. sounds like credit card is better than debit card. this has been very informative and helpful.. again, thanks...

Engine
01-27-2017, 06:51
Also, you can get up to $100 cash back at WalMart or the US Post Office with any purchase (buy a postcard and send it) with no added fee. Most grocery stores do this as well. Hmmmmmmmmmm, I wonder...I get bonus cash at Walmart with my cash back card, I wonder if that would work with cash received at the register as well. I'll have to try it this week.

Engine
01-27-2017, 06:53
thanks everybody for yalls input. sounds like credit card is better than debit card. this has been very informative and helpful.. again, thanks... Even in your day to day life, you're better off using a credit card for daily expenses. Take it from someone who got hit for almost $3,000 in fraudulent charges on their debit card last November...what a charlie foxtrot that turned into. Now, the debit card ONLY comes out at ATM machines or inside the bank.