PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Shenandoah National Park

hildebrand1944
01-26-2017, 11:57
Decided I want to stay at Big Meadow Campground and Slack Pack the AT. Can you tell me if they allow you to leave a vehicle at the parking lots over night. The thought is to drive one car to a parking lot where we want to end for the day and then drive the other car to the beginning of our days hike and hike back to the first car. The next day we would go pick up the other car and move to the next parking lot. Are the parking lots safe from vandals?

Gambit McCrae
01-26-2017, 12:40
I have Left my car at one of the lots on 2 different trips they do not mind and if you tell them you are a backpacker, they have not made me pay the admission fee however if you are staying in the campground that may be a different story. Truly one of the best parts of the AT thru the park enjoy

More details:
Parked at bootens gap for 4-5 days
parked at swift run gap for 8 days

windlion
01-26-2017, 14:21
Decided I want to stay at Big Meadow Campground and Slack Pack the AT. Can you tell me if they allow you to leave a vehicle at the parking lots over night. The thought is to drive one car to a parking lot where we want to end for the day and then drive the other car to the beginning of our days hike and hike back to the first car. The next day we would go pick up the other car and move to the next parking lot. Are the parking lots safe from vandals?
Left my car in the visitor center lot for three days while I ambled up from Swift Gap, no problems.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Patchy
01-26-2017, 15:23
Double check with Ranger as you enter the park. They may ask you to fill out a back country tag, where you list parking, etc. This s mostly for safety, in case of fire or something so they have an idea where and how many folks are out there.

Gambit McCrae
01-26-2017, 16:08
Double check with Ranger as you enter the park. They may ask you to fill out a back country tag, where you list parking, etc. This s mostly for safety, in case of fire or something so they have an idea where and how many folks are out there.

Correct this is required if parking inside the park overnight

devoidapop
01-26-2017, 16:37
Your car will be safe. Kids aren't gonna pay the fee to enter the park to vandalize vehicles. Have a great hike. There are fantastic views all around you in that part of the park.

johnnybgood
01-26-2017, 17:31
As others have said, a free permit needed if overnighting in the backcountry. The primary reason is so the Rangers know who is out there and where in case of emergencies.

I've left cars at lots in the park over night many times without any issues.

BillyGr
01-26-2017, 17:59
As others have said, a free permit needed if overnighting in the backcountry. The primary reason is so the Rangers know who is out there and where in case of emergencies.

I've left cars at lots in the park over night many times without any issues.

Although it appears that the first poster is NOT staying out overnight, but rather camping at a regular campground in the park. They just want to have 2 vehicles, with one at the campground each night and the other left at a trailhead somewhere so when they go out for a day hike they don't have to do a loop, but can just hike from one vehicle to the other.

windlion
01-26-2017, 18:01
At Big Meadows, you might want to take tent site #46 or #50, if they are open. Farthest from the road, nearest to the AT.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Elaikases
01-26-2017, 23:16

A number of locations support parking.

If you go to the "official" site it also lists where vandalism is a problem and where it is not.

My first section hike I went to https://appalachiantrail.org/ and they had shuttle contact lists and everything else.

My second section hike I went to Amacola and they gave me a parking pass so I could leave a car there, take a shuttle to the state line and hike back.

Our next one we anticipate using public transport from the airport to our location and then using uber at the other end, so I haven't checked out parking.

But it is really done a lot.