PDA

View Full Version : Helen or Hiawassee? for GA section hike

bigcranky
01-26-2017, 16:11
Planning to hike the Georgia section in mid April. My wife and I did this together almost 15 years ago with our daughter (whose trail name shoulda been "Boat Anchor" but I digress). Spent a night in Hiawassee, enjoyed it. I did it with my hiking partner in March a few years later, carried enough to get to Neels. Now we're looking at Deep Gap to Springer with a night off at Unicoi Gap and a small resupply.

I'm leaning toward Helen since I've never been there. I know it's touristy but that's part of the draw. My biggest unknown is whether I can do a decent resupply at the country store, versus the Ingles in Hiawassee. (I also see there is a Dollar General in Helen, and I can get a lot there, too.) It also looks like Helen may be an easier hitch from Unicoi since it's a straight shot, maybe especially coming back the next day -- less chance of getting dropped off at the wrong gap :)

Comments? Suggestions? Thanks!

Lone Wolf
01-26-2017, 16:22
Helen for sure

JC13
01-26-2017, 16:29
Not sure about the resupply, but with the wife, I would do Helen especially since you have already done Hiawassee.

swisscross
01-26-2017, 17:35
I love German food.

Engine
01-26-2017, 17:57
Since you've already been to Hiawassee, why not see some place different...Helen does have good food.

soumodeler
01-26-2017, 20:52
Dollar general in Helen should have enough for your resupply needs.

MuddyWaters
01-26-2017, 20:57
if money aint no thang, Helens a great little tourist trap, just because its so out of place in N. Ga.

Like a dog thats so ugly...its cute.

Christoph
01-26-2017, 21:19
Another for Helen. Enjoy the town, it's a little different. Just did a section last year from the falls to Unicoi and ended up in Helen. Been there before, but it was a great ending to an awesome hike with my brother.

ScareBear
01-27-2017, 06:58
Helen. You have to experience the artificial Teutonic/Bavarian/Alpine ambience to believe it. At night, when you are walking by the river, it almost seems like Switzerland...well...not almost...kinda-sorta-maybe-if-you-squint-while-covering-your-ears-almost....

Seriously, it is so freaking odd that it is a must do!

Tennessee Viking
01-27-2017, 10:56
Helen is a the German Gatlinburg. I spent my honeymoon there.

There are a number of big name and smaller hotels, Dollar General, restaurants, Entertainment. I never saw any kind of outfitter supplies. Tube the river.

There are more grocery stores in Cleveland which is about 15-20.

bigcranky
01-27-2017, 15:42
Thanks, everybody, you confirmed what I was thinking. :)

Yukon Ron
01-27-2017, 16:51
Go to Helen when you get to Unicoi Gap. Tubing is only $5 and is lots of fun. Go to Hiawassee when you get to Dicks Creek Gap. Both are good places to visit. The Best Western is Helen has a hiker rate that was $60 plus tax in 2014 and had a fantastic breakfast included. At Dicks Creek Gap the Top of Georgia Hostel is just a half mile from the trail and they run shuttles into Hiawassee. Take time out to enjoy hiking and towns along the way.

bigcranky
01-27-2017, 19:58
We're doing the GA section southbound from Deep Gap, so we'll skip going into town from Dick's Creek and instead we'll go to Helen from Unicoi. Sounds like fun - though I am not sure about tubing in April. :)

I do like German food....

ScareBear
01-27-2017, 20:36
We're doing the GA section southbound from Deep Gap, so we'll skip going into town from Dick's Creek and instead we'll go to Helen from Unicoi. Sounds like fun - though I am not sure about tubing in April. :)

I do like German food....

Ummm....yeah...about that.....don't go expecting rouladen, sauerbraten, zweilbelkuchen or the like and you'll be fine. I couldn't find any Apfel last time there either...keep in mind...this is Appalachia in Georgia in the United States...go for the kitsch...not the kirsch...just sayin...

MuddyWaters
01-27-2017, 20:44
I can sum Helen up in two words:

Gutentag ya'll

Pheral
01-27-2017, 23:12
I wanna hear more about 'Boat Anchor'.

bigcranky
01-28-2017, 11:45
I wanna hear more about 'Boat Anchor'.

She was 12, and liked the idea of hiking more than the actual hiking part. :)

bigcranky
01-28-2017, 11:47
Ummm....yeah...about that.....don't go expecting rouladen, sauerbraten, zweilbelkuchen or the like and you'll be fine. I couldn't find any Apfel last time there either...keep in mind...this is Appalachia in Georgia in the United States...go for the kitsch...not the kirsch...just sayin...

Yeah, looking at the menu for the Troll tavern, I got the idea pretty quick. "German food" apparently includes Thai chicken wraps, muffalettas, and Philly cheesesteaks. :)