PDA

View Full Version : NOBO or SOBO Approach to Neels

outdoorsy
01-26-2017, 18:09
My friend and I are section hiking the trail over most likely the rest of our lives. We are doing our first section in April. Approach to Neel's Gap. Recommendations for a NOBO or SOBO.

Engine
01-26-2017, 19:02
When are you planning to go?

fiddlehead
01-26-2017, 19:16
Read the first 2 sentences and thought: TROLL.
Even if not a troll, too negative to hike the whole trail.

capehiker
01-26-2017, 19:38
Read the first 2 sentences and thought: TROLL.
Even if not a troll, too negative to hike the whole trail.

Really? Being a lifetime section hiker is trolling? I better tell my buddy that.

George
01-26-2017, 19:48
parking is somewhat limited at neals - probably best to park the car at amicola + get a shuttle back to neals - hit the bar b que place in Dahlonega on the way out

NoLimit
01-26-2017, 20:35
Same section I attempted just a week ago. I chose north leaving my truck at Neels and took a shuttle to the beginning of the approach trail at Amicalola. Though parking is limited at Neels it's all really dependent on when you go. I was the only overnight vehicle. Had to abandon after only a day due to foot and knee issues, but when I returned back to my truck it was still the only vehicle. I began mid week so absolutely no crowd.

AtWokman
01-26-2017, 20:40
go nobo always nobo sobos are confused

AtWokman
01-26-2017, 20:40
I personally would not want to hike Blood Mountain Southbound

MuddyWaters
01-26-2017, 20:41
I would spend the night a goose creek cabins and leave vehicle there safe and sound
get shuttled to amicalola
when get back to neel gap call goose creek and they will come get you.

April is too busy to go against flow unless you like meeting people every 5 minutes all day long. With exception possibly being last week of month. Possibly.

Slo-go'en
01-26-2017, 20:44
I personally would not want to hike Blood Mountain Southbound

Nah, piece of cake, even with 3 days of food. Once that climb is over, the rest is pretty easy back to Springer.

But then I live in the White Mountains and have a different perspective on what's a hard climb :)

soumodeler
01-26-2017, 21:02
Parking at Amicalola and shuttling back to Neel has the advantage of somewhat secure parking and not worrying about finding a parking spot at Byron Reese parking lot, which can be an issue on weekends certain times of the year. Pros, you go DOWN the stairs at Amicalola. Cons would be Blood Mountain southbound...

Opposite, you park at Byron Reese trailhead at Neel Gap and call Ron brown to shuttle you to Amicalola or Springer. You go up the stairs at the falls, but it's really not that bad.

Regardless, it's a great section and a good hike in either direction. I personally recommend Ron Brown for shuttles. Great guy and reasonable rates.

outdoorsy
01-27-2017, 00:06
Not a troll and actually super pumped to spend some years on the trail!! We are going April 9-14 and plan on flying from WI to Atlanta then getting shuttled from trailheads to the airport on both ends. Thanks for all the suggestions on my posts this is such a great resource.

fiddlehead
01-27-2017, 00:06
Really? Being a lifetime section hiker is trolling? I better tell my buddy that.

Sorry, wrong thread.
Whiteblaze seems to be really messing me around and jumping threads here.
My post above was not made for this thread.
I will go find the one about sleeping outside and repost.