PDA

View Full Version : Coffee Grounds in Peanut Butter

Martzy13
01-27-2017, 11:22
I'm not sure where I first saw this, but I'd heard that instead of "brewing" coffee before hiking every morning, some people will dump a bunch of coffee grounds in their half-full PB jar and just take a few spoonfuls every morning. I haven't just fallen in love with a decent instant coffee mix yet, so I've been considering this as a substitute.
Anyone have experience/opinions on the matter?

Patchy
01-27-2017, 11:44
Not heard of this, but think I'll try it with a small spoonful or two at home.

Ktaadn
01-27-2017, 12:02
I haven't heard of this. Have you tried chocolate covered espresso beans?

nsherry61
01-27-2017, 12:17
I'm not sure where I first saw this, but I'd heard that instead of "brewing" coffee before hiking every morning, some people will dump a bunch of coffee grounds in their half-full PB jar and just take a few spoonfuls every morning. I haven't just fallen in love with a decent instant coffee mix yet, so I've been considering this as a substitute.
Anyone have experience/opinions on the matter?
Now, this is the type of thread and sharing of ideas that would be fun to have lots more of! . . . tips and trick from the experienced and creative that are fun for others of us to try that have lots of experience and want more fun ideas to try. Keep those of us that are not beginners still interested in new ideas on these forums . . .

zelph
01-27-2017, 12:31
Hiker on backpackinglight.com puts coffee grounds in his refried beans.

Pondjumpr
01-27-2017, 12:51
I drink coffee. I enjoy drinking coffee. I do figure that I get some boost from the stimulant, but I drink it as more of a routine and a way to slowly start my day than a requirement to function. I can't imagine that I would ever NEED caffeine enough to mix coffee grounds in other food. That sounds like taking a pill instead of enjoying a nice glass of bourbon. Something I would never do.
I would imagine that caffeine could be sourced through other methods without having to add coffee grounds to something as awesome as PB. $0.02

blw2
01-27-2017, 13:08
I drink coffee. I enjoy drinking coffee. I do figure that I get some boost from the stimulant, but I drink it as more of a routine and a way to slowly start my day than a requirement to function. I can't imagine that I would ever NEED caffeine enough to mix coffee grounds in other food. That sounds like taking a pill instead of enjoying a nice glass of bourbon. Something I would never do.
I would imagine that caffeine could be sourced through other methods without having to add coffee grounds to something as awesome as PB. $0.02

I feel the same way..... but I will admit to headaches if I don't have my morning cup or two.... I have often thought about looking for ways to get a shot of caffeine when I'm in a hurry and just don't want to take the time to brew and enjoy (or can't)
so
personally, i would find this idea maybe a bit weird for a person to do as a regular routine.... but just for special events, a hike, or whatever.... hey, why not. Interesting idea..... might consider giving it a try!

For its worth, I've been trying maxim coffee, and instant korean brand I ordered from amazon, with cream and sugar on board. I find it a bit too light and too sweet, but not bad for camping!

ScareBear
01-27-2017, 13:10
Coffee grounds=laxative

Engine
01-27-2017, 13:29
Coffee grounds=laxative But does it work that way when eaten, or do you benefit as much from the hot liquid as the coffee?

Martzy13
01-27-2017, 13:39
I haven't heard of this. Have you tried chocolate covered espresso beans?

I haven't, but I'll have to give them a shot before I head to the Trail this year. Would they melt, or do you think I could find an "M&M" style espresso bean?

devoidapop
01-27-2017, 14:06
Are we talking coffee grounds, or instant coffee crystals? Aren't grounds inedible?

I do put instant coffee in my breakfast slurry when I only want to heat 1 cup of water.

Old Grouse
01-27-2017, 14:36
Nah. I love my coffee and I love peanut butter, but this sounds like madness.

MuddyWaters
01-27-2017, 14:53
Ive always told my kids

"Theres a lot of stupid people in the world, dont be one of them'

If you want caffeine, just take a pill

Time Zone
01-27-2017, 14:53
Are we talking coffee grounds, or instant coffee crystals? Aren't grounds inedible?

I do put instant coffee in my breakfast slurry when I only want to heat 1 cup of water.

This one time, at band camp - no, wait, it was at the grocery store, they had all these great-smelling flavored coffee beans, as well as a place you could grind them and bag them before buying them. Seeing a spilled bean under the chute for one of the flavors (it was probably heath bar crunch coffee or something equally absurd in terms of implied sweetness), I decided to try it. It was HORRIBLE. I could not get the taste out of my mouth fast enough, and even sacrificed my handkerchief to the task of helping to scrape if off my tongue.

So yeah, hopefully the OP meant instant granules and not grounds. If the latter, count me out! :DBeen there, done that, threw away the hanky that looked like used ... well, you know.

jgillam
01-27-2017, 21:42
I'm not sure about coffee grounds but, I've been using Starbucks Via instant coffee in cookies at home...and tomorrow morning, I'll try it with peanut butter. Yum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nsherry61
01-27-2017, 23:33
. . . hopefully the OP meant instant granules and not grounds. . .
People eat roasted coffee beans all the time. Ever try chocolate covered espresso beans?

Yes they are crunchy and chewy. But, they are perfectly edible and many people like them quite a bit.

People like crunch peanut butter, why not have coffee flavored crunch. It might be quite tasty.

Instant coffee crystals might be too strong a flavor to work well, or they might not. It sounds worth a try to me.

Maybe I'll try some grounds in some peanut butter tomorrow morning and come back with an opinion.

Maybe we should try and get everyone to try it and then take a poll.

Deadeye
01-27-2017, 23:40
lemme get this straight - does this guy mix coffee grounds with PB, or ground coffee? Big difference in my book! Coffee grounds are what's left over after you brew coffee, ground coffee is what you brew with. If I have coffee grounds, I had fresh coffee and wouldn't mix the waste with good PB. OTOH, fresh ground coffee mixed with PB might be tasty.

Martzy13
01-28-2017, 00:01
Like I said, I can't recall where I heard/read this info, so I can't be 100% positive. If I had to venture a guess, though, I'd have to assume it was ground coffee, not coffee grounds. Seems like you're using the coffee for its intended purpose and then throwing the garbage grounds in that good ol' PB, if it's the other way around.
Sherry, I wait on the edge of my seat for your morning response!

nsherry61
01-28-2017, 00:20
. . . Sherry, I wait on the edge of my seat for your morning response!
Aren't you going to join me and add your personal opinion and experience?

AllDownhillFromHere
01-28-2017, 00:45
coffee grounds + PB sounds disgusting.

Why bother with coffee? If the sun is up, you're awake, and if it's not, you're asleep. On your longest day you'll still be getting 8 hours of sleep, and later in the year you'll get more.

Engine
01-28-2017, 06:32

Why bother with coffee? If the sun is up, you're awake, and if it's not, you're asleep....

Spoken like a true non-believer.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/0e/e9/3a/0ee93a011fd846660cd21c6e10a47ef5.jpg

atraildreamer
01-28-2017, 10:37
... I would imagine that caffeine could be sourced through other methods without having to add coffee grounds to something as awesome as PB. $0.02

NoDoze, or similar product, caffeine tablets. Available at any pharmacy OTC. Used by college students everywhere during the all-night cram party for finals.

Martzy
01-28-2017, 11:45

Why bother with coffee? If the sun is up, you're awake, and if it's not, you're asleep. On your longest day you'll still be getting 8 hours of sleep, and later in the year you'll get more.

I enjoy my coffee, especially when I'm in the woods. I love the morning, and being able rock in my hammock with a cup of Joe (Shug-Style) before I get moving is big for me. But, if I can save time and fuel in the morning and still receive the boost with the taste of coffee, then this mixture was a win. If coffee on the trail isn't your thing, great, but that's not what this post was asking.

And Sherry, I might just do that after I pick up some PB.

MuddyWaters
01-28-2017, 12:08
If you have to eat your coffee, because nodoz tablets wont kick it for you, try chocolate coated expresso beans.

ScareBear
01-28-2017, 19:02
I do carry caffeine pills on the trail. You never know when you are going to bonk and you may need the extended energy boost to achieve your goal....just sayin...

nsherry61
01-28-2017, 20:27
Well, I did it this morning. I mixed my ground coffee with a spoon full of peanut butter. Here are my thoughts:

Wow, enough coffee to make a cup of coffee is a lot of ground coffee to mix with PB. So I mixed a teaspoon worth into a rounded teaspoon of peanut butter.
Wow, it actually mixed up pretty easily and nicely.
Wow, it actually tastes pretty good, and the crunch texture is kinda good too.
I didn't eat enough to get a good caffeine buzz going. I don't know if I'd want to eat that much unless I was really hungry.

I could actually probably eat this by choice some of the time, just for fun. I doubt I'd want to eat enough PB to mix in enough coffee to replace my cup of coffee on a regular basis. But heck, it was kinda fun and kinda good and I'm sure I'll play around with it occasionally in the future.

Anyone else?

Another Kevin
01-28-2017, 20:32
No thanks. I bring filter paper and a funnel. If I can't have real coffee, I'm not going!

nsherry61
01-28-2017, 20:33
No thanks. I bring filter paper and a funnel. If I can't have real coffee, I'm not going!
You can think of it as a desert or treat actually. It might be outstanding with a little chocolate included. Hmm. Maybe I'll try that tomorrow.

Dogwood
01-28-2017, 22:40
R U talking about caffeine, which everyone associates with coffee as if they are the same, or coffee?

Bunches of products with caffeine that don't entail hot or cold coffee.

Although, Micro Ground Coffee, such as Starbucks Via, can be added to just about anything.

Traillium
01-29-2017, 18:00
Although, Micro Ground Coffee, such as Starbucks Via, can be added to just about anything.

I pour three sleeves of Via into my granola & Nido, add in water, stir, slurp off a few mouthfuls of coffee water, and enjoy the rest as my favourite meal of the day.

Then — perhaps half an hour later — test my LNT skills …

Dogwood
01-29-2017, 20:55
Why not coffee flavored granola? It's a twist on cocoa puffs. It can be added to the hundreds of other granola versions on the market.

Have to add micro ground coffee added to pudding as a mid morn pick me up.

BTW, and this is a BIG BTW, may be several helpful foods and supplements to get the energy boost that don't involve caffeine or coffee.

Gotu kola
acetyl-L-carnitine - great for mental health and clarity without the edginess often associated with caffeine
ginseng - American(Panax quinquefolius) and Asian(anax ginseng) and Siberian Ginseng(Eleutherococcus senticosus, not true ginseng). All have energy and other potentially helpful trail consequences. If you can get some fresh "seng" from the Appalachian Mountains IT WORKS for increasing energy if you chew on it!
B12 (methyl is the best)
CoQ10 - varying effects for energy increases
Rhodiola rosacea - more popular outside the U.S. in Europe and Asia
Gingko biloba - for mental alertness
N-acetyl cysteine(NAC)

If you're willing to research amino acids supplementation there's no end to the powders that are available containing such as L-citrulline, L-arginine AKG, creatine, L- tyrosine, etc

Also:

Graze rather than load up on mega calorie heavy mega meals or foods high in added sugar especially artificial and the highly processed sugars

Drink CLEAN water...drink lots of CLEAN water....drink lots of CLEAN water. Despite the majority of us knowing about the importance of water we still all don't get enough. We're not doing what we know we should be doing.

Lots of fiber which helps stabilize blood sugar helps regulate energy levels.

Breathe deeply/fully!!! Silly sounding but once this is known and practiced the results can elevate to a higher physicality and mental clarity not realized!!!

Guarana - it's one of the prime energy increasing herbs in many of the energy "shot" drinks. This contains caffeine.

Yerba Mate - contains caffeine, drank it most days for energy made by some other thru-hiking PCT friends. Became an afternoon staple. Got used to it.

cocoa/high content cocoa chocolate - low caffeine content usually but has a host of antioxidants and other beneficial nutrients

various teas - green tea extract or green tea like Matcha is better for you than full caffeine coffee if considering the way most drink it with sugars, dairy, processed flavorings like hydrogenated FAKE creamer, etc and the copies amounts of low pH acids in coffee itself

as said chocolate covered espresso beans - they can offer a wallop of caffeine in 6-7 beans!

This is a short list alternatives to coffee. I like my coffee though. It's my drug of choice and don't think it's not an addictive drug or that it can't involve negative health consequences. It's not all a pro with coffee. There are cons involved!

imscotty
01-29-2017, 21:05
Wow, as a non-coffee drinker I have to admit I never realized the addiction could be this extreme. Adding coffee grounds to your Peanut Butter sounds disgusting to me. I am with the 'if the sun is up, then I am awake' crowd.

But I cannot through stones, after a week on the trail I admit the only thing I can think about is how good that first beer is going to taste when I get to town.

Ktaadn
01-30-2017, 11:46
Adding coffee to pudding? That sounds amazing!

My wife will sometimes add about half a cup of brewed coffee to chocolate cake batter in place of some liquid in the recipe. You don't really taste the coffee but it brings out more of the chocolate flavor.

Ktaadn
01-30-2017, 11:47
Wow, as a non-coffee drinker I have to admit I never realized the addiction could be this extreme. Adding coffee grounds to your Peanut Butter sounds disgusting to me. I am with the 'if the sun is up, then I am awake' crowd.

But I cannot through stones, after a week on the trail I admit the only thing I can think about is how good that first beer is going to taste when I get to town.

Addiction? I can quit whenever I want. I just don't want to... :cool:

nsherry61
01-30-2017, 11:54
I pour three sleeves of Via into my granola & Nido. . .
Wow, that makes some pricey (and strong) granola! Plain old ground coffee in granola might also work, especially since the granola is crunchy to start with.

dudeijuststarted
01-30-2017, 12:01
now this is useful!!!

T.S.Kobzol
01-30-2017, 12:06
for me, my main reason to use coffee in the morning is to take a dump before I start hiking, especially when hiking in the winter and having a summit day. I'm afraid drinking coffee would be the only way to do it, coffee grounds in peanut butter would delay the effect. (I think)

swisscross
01-30-2017, 12:13
Sounds nasty to me. Not the coffee but the PB.
I take a small single serve PB cup on every trip and it is the last thing in the bag that gets eaten and only if needed.
Usually I end up bringing it home.

Guyler
01-31-2017, 11:37
To all the neigh-sayers, I can imagine you could say the same thing about coffee ice cream if you had never tried it. "Coffee in ice cream?! GROSS!" Despite it being amazing - good!

This one time, at band camp - no, wait, it was at the grocery store, they had all these great-smelling flavored coffee beans, as well as a place you could grind them and bag them before buying them. Seeing a spilled bean under the chute for one of the flavors (it was probably heath bar crunch coffee or something equally absurd in terms of implied sweetness), I decided to try it. It was HORRIBLE. I could not get the taste out of my mouth fast enough, and even sacrificed my handkerchief to the task of helping to scrape if off my tongue.

Flavored coffee is coated in a gross tasting oil-like substance. I used to work at a roaster and to make 'hazelnut' flavored coffee all you do is take regular coffee and mix a little oil over the beans.

rocketsocks
01-31-2017, 13:14
I really don't understand the point, is it a time saver, inhance flavor...I don't get it.

nsherry61
01-31-2017, 13:37
I really don't understand the point, is it a time saver, inhance flavor...I don't get it.
It's another tool in the food toolbox. That's all. Some like one tool more than another.

Fun flavor, nutrients, stimulants, ease of prep, high calorie density, life if good.

peakbagger
01-31-2017, 14:03
I am not a coffee or tea drinker. I do carry some caffeine gum in my pack for when I really need a boost. The military included it in some of the MRE and all their FSR packs. I just buy it on Amazon. Its called Military Energy Gum. It works but I have to be careful if I use it much afternoon I am up half the night.

Time Zone
01-31-2017, 16:22
Well, I did it this morning. ...
Anyone else?

Yep. There's an old saying - if the observation is one you can make yourself, do so. Something like that.
So I took 1 tsp of peanut butter and sprinkled some Maxwell House instant granules on it (not coffee grounds; I can't imagine grounds would be better).
My verdict: not very good! Not as horrible as chewing a roasted coffee bean, but nothing I'd do again.

nsherry61
01-31-2017, 17:14
Yep. There's an old saying - if the observation is one you can make yourself, do so. . . sprinkled some Maxwell House instant granules on it (not coffee grounds; I can't imagine grounds would be better).
My verdict: not very good! Not as horrible as chewing a roasted coffee bean, but nothing I'd do again.
FWIW: I watched a YouTube video about coffee on the AT this morning and they were commenting about how horrible instant coffee was when added to food as compared to how highly acclaimed the Startbuck's Via was as a really good food additive. I'm guessing that even if you don't like chewing coffee beans, you would still like ground coffee in your PB better than instant coffee.

But hey, drink your own drink and eat your own PB, I say. ;-)

MuddyWaters
01-31-2017, 17:41
If you dont eat your coffee grounds at home, why the f#$# would you ever in trail?

Coffee, is a partial extract from ground beans. The exposure and temperature is important to leach out desireable compounds, while leaving behind bitter compounds.

VIA is crap. Worse than regular old instant coffee.

Engine
01-31-2017, 19:10
...VIA is crap. Worse than regular old instant coffee.

I guess if you actually like the gunk that passes for instant coffee...but if you want instant that actually TASTES like coffee, VIA is hands down better than the disgusting alternatives.

nsherry61
01-31-2017, 19:24
This coffee debate is kinda like my wife arguing that chocolate ice cream is better than vanilla and me claiming vanilla is better than chocolate. In the end, neither of us is more right than the other. We both just have different tastes. . .

. . . that and her appreciation of flavor lacks the delicate appreciation of a good vanilla. ;-)

jellyfish
01-31-2017, 19:36
I'm become fascinated by this, and it only took 5 seconds.

ScareBear
01-31-2017, 21:44
Instant coffee......I'll just take a caffeine pill before I stoop to THAT...just sayin...

Sailing_Faith
01-31-2017, 22:19
NoDoze, or similar product, caffeine tablets. Available at any pharmacy OTC. Used by college students everywhere during the all-night cram party for finals.

I do carry caffeine pills on the trail. You never know when you are going to bonk and you may need the extended energy boost to achieve your goal....just sayin...

Instant coffee......I'll just take a caffeine pill before I stoop to THAT...just sayin...

Anyone reading this would be well served to try no-doze or other caffeine tablets AT HOME well away from the trail. I have tried them several times on long boat trips and cross country drives... They can cause stomach pain and indegestion so bad it can be Incapicatiting..... Sure way to ruin your hike.

Offshore
02-01-2017, 09:33

Exactly. The only reason to add coffee grounds to peanut butter is to make it no-slip, but I'm really not sure why one would need extra traction in their peanut butter...

jefals
02-01-2017, 11:40
Ok. Coffee grounds for sale, cocoa flavored, perfect for mixing with your peanut butter! $.50 /pound! plus $7.00 S&H. Call RIGHT NOW, and we'll DOUBLE YOUR ORDER! ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY FREE!!! (Just pay separate S&H)
Jus kidding.. My coffee grounds are going in the compost heap. Not the peanut butter.?

colorado_rob
02-01-2017, 13:07

I've been drinking coffee for 45 years, probably averaging 3 cups a day. Never got adicted....

Anyway, just saw this thread, so tried it... yuck! Disgusting. I love peanut butter. I love coffee. Together? Puke.

Reminds me of that one time ( at band camp) when someone tried to feed me bacon flavored ice cream....

saltysack
02-01-2017, 13:09
I actually throw whole coffee beans in my protein shake with almond milk, almonds, ice, chocolate or vanilla protein powder...blended tastes great....I'll try some MT.Hagen instant w PB later today...sounds good! I love almost anything w coffee! My morning trail drink of choice is 2 instant breakfast packs, nido and 2 MT Hagen packets....best if make the night before....shake well!!!

RangerZ
02-01-2017, 16:41
This coffee debate is kinda like my wife arguing that chocolate ice cream is better than vanilla and me claiming vanilla is better than chocolate. In the end, neither of us is more right than the other. We both just have different tastes. . .

. . . that and her appreciation of flavor lacks the delicate appreciation of a good vanilla. ;-)

What! There's other flavors than vanilla?!

Traillium
02-02-2017, 10:47
What! There's other flavors than vanilla?!

Real genuine Maple …

Dogwood
02-02-2017, 23:45
http://steempb.com Tried STEEM recently bought from a retailer here in GA. It's PB with caffeine. I'd reload into squeezable GO Tube or Coghlans squeeze tube for on trail. BEWARE: two tbsp CAN equal about as much caffeine in two cups of regular coffee - 150 -200 mg This packs a wallop of caffeine giving me a unwanted nervous edgy energy with more than 3 tablespoons.

I prefer The Wild Friends Vanilla Espresso Almond Butter which has a minuscule 1 mg of caffeine for the taste and non GMO ingredients. Two packs a day keep the coffee headache at bay as I'm detoxing from coffee on trail which is the BEST for me when backpacking. If absolutely wanting caffeine I'd mix it with a good high content cocoa Belgian, German, or maybe Swiss REAL chocolate or add some micro ground coffee like Starbucks Via or or green tea extract into it.

https://www.rei.com/product/849491/humangear-gotoob-bottle-3-fl-oz-package-of-3 MUCH prefer the GoToobs from Human Gear for on trail compared to teh Coglans tubes.

The chocolate covered Espresso beans are a tasty way to get that cocaine leaf like stamina by chewing the NON concentrated LEGAL leaves as some in S. America do.

Chewing fresh or dried American Ginseng "Seng" from the Appalachian Mts is another great stamina energy inducing herb.

Dogwood
02-02-2017, 23:46
https://wildfriendsfoods.com/products/vanilla-espresso-almond-butter-1

NoChance
02-09-2017, 22:35
That sounds gross. I stick to a daily morning caffeine pill, it prevents vasospasm which causes a wicked headache and it helps me get through the first major climb of the day.

and its Ultralight!

saltysack
02-17-2017, 16:59
Not bad....kick it up a notch!!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170217/37eaae03c5e39c0e84652e49bce174d8.jpg

bamboo bob
02-17-2017, 17:20
I keep a ziplock of chocolate covered coffee beans. A few every morning does the trick.

TTT
02-17-2017, 17:30
Coffee and caffeine will give you a headache and serve as a laxative as stated by someone wise above me. Black/green tea, or better yet, Rooibos tea, will aid in reducing inflammation the same way as turmeric does (btw brown sugar adds vitamin B.) Mixing up weird concoctions will only make your visits to the bush, with your trowel in hand, an interesting encounter.

saltysack
02-17-2017, 17:36
Coffee and caffeine will give you a headache and serve as a laxative as stated by someone wise above me. Black/green tea, or better yet, Rooibos tea, will aid in reducing inflammation the same way as turmeric does (btw brown sugar adds vitamin B.) Mixing up weird concoctions will only make your visits to the bush, with your trowel in hand, an interesting encounter.

Yea so does beer....but some of us never learn....[emoji38]dark chocolate espresso beans sounds like a charm for convenience

TTT
02-17-2017, 17:38
I forgot to mention that Rooibos tea is a natural fungicide that makes for a good foot bath. Dipping your foot in coffee and peanut butter doesn't appeal to me :)

ShelterLeopard
03-25-2017, 11:53
I don't really drink coffee for the caffeine as much as the taste and experience. Nothing is better than waking up to a beautiful morning (or a rainy damp and dreary morning) and making a cup of hot delicious coffee on trail.

rocketsocks
03-25-2017, 12:57
I don't really drink coffee for the caffeine as much as the taste and experience. Nothing is better than waking up to a beautiful morning (or a rainy damp and dreary morning) and making a cup of hot delicious coffee on trail.this^^^^^^^

TTT
03-25-2017, 13:09
I'm beginning to understand why hikers stink so much