PDA

View Full Version : Mid-march hike recommendations

prusselltn
01-21-2006, 18:31
Hi,

We're looking for some low ground to hike in mid March with a newbie. Rather than buy lots of expensive snow gear, we're hoping to keep low altitudes and pray for good weather. I'm in Nashville, and we can drive to N. Georgia, western NC, etc. We'd like a 3-4 day loop or easy connection. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Jack Tarlin
01-21-2006, 18:38
You didn't mention your daily mileage goals, but the stretch between Davenport Gap and Hot Springs, NC can be very nice at that time of year. The terrain is not that difficult, and includes such places as Max Patch and Bluff Mountain, two of the prettiest spots in North Carolina in the springtime.

prusselltn
01-21-2006, 18:47
Oops. If the terrain is pretty easy we could go ten or so a day. As I said, there's a newbie involved, so I don't want to make him hate backpacking. If there are climbs involved, probably 6 or 7 would be the goal.

justinwp
01-21-2006, 23:16
I'm heading to the Gila Wilderness in March for 7 days. Can't wait!

waskelton4
01-31-2006, 13:51
two of my buddies and myself just took a trip to Sipsey Wilderness in Bankhead Nat'l forest. it is in north western AL.

Here is the thread about it with some links to good info and some pictures.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12049

ws

Turtle2
01-31-2006, 14:12
Check out the forum on the North/South Trail. It isn't the AT but only 2 hours from Nashville makes for max hiking. Easy, with a few hills. May be just right for a newbie. They have springs and some shelters, lots of woods and some nice lake views along the 60 miles.

allie
01-31-2006, 14:25
Try where the Benton McKaye and AT intertwine in N. GA. I'm not sure of the exact points to get on and get off but I could look it up. I've taken several newbies through there.

prusselltn
02-06-2006, 22:27
The early AT/BMT is exactly what I've been looking into (Spring Mountain, btw). Midmarch is prime season for starting the AT though, so we'll probably try to stay off it, even though it would be cute to look at people and wonder who will actually make it. I'm having a hard time finding a good loop though, because trail guides either ignore the smaller trails, or omit the BMT. Anyone know a good 30-40 mile loop around there?

The Solemates
02-07-2006, 10:33
The early AT/BMT is exactly what I've been looking into (Spring Mountain, btw). Midmarch is prime season for starting the AT though, so we'll probably try to stay off it, even though it would be cute to look at people and wonder who will actually make it. I'm having a hard time finding a good loop though, because trail guides either ignore the smaller trails, or omit the BMT. Anyone know a good 30-40 mile loop around there?

coosa backcountry trail + AT: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9583

its only a one-nighter at about 20 miles, but its a nice trail.

prusselltn
02-08-2006, 13:19
Opps--SpringER mountain. How silly of me.