PDA

View Full Version : countdown to launch begins

mweinstone
01-21-2006, 18:33
all around this globe are folks in there beds at nite ,packed,ready and waiting to go. we all wait for our own reasons.some need a few more weeks earnings.some wait for the weather to warm. others wait only for the postman to bring the last piece of gear.some wait for partners. some will not wait and will leave early.and most of us wait for a mixture of reasons. i am waiting to begin my thru hike untill i can pay more bills and for a ride from philly to springer. im done packing.my food bag is in the fridge. all perishable food is out of the apartment.its all about the last few paychecks and then i can walk away. i want to know your state of readyness as of today.anyone else 99% ready?

Thumper 2006
01-21-2006, 19:06
I am waiting on a few more paychecks to help pay for the student loan bills while I am gone. 1 more month, and it is time to go. Man am I ready.

neo
01-21-2006, 19:16
good luck to all potential 2006 thru hikers:cool: neo

slowpoke
01-21-2006, 19:24
100% ready just got to put a 30 day notice in with the apartment
good luck everyone:sun

mnof1000v
01-21-2006, 19:29
My gear is 99% in hand. My plane ticket is set. I'm ready to go, but it's not quite March 1st yet...

May the waiting end soon!:bse

totempole99
01-21-2006, 19:39
Am I ready? Haha, funny question. I'm starting March 8th and I'm guessing somewhere around 50-60%. I am a procrastinator, I'm at my best when under pressure.

Zzzzdyd
01-21-2006, 19:45
about %90 ready, but I got only three weeks before I jump off from Springer. Just hoping my new Lunar e' ships soooooon !!! Ordered a new Smartwool top and bottom last night, so when I get those and the shelter I will be geared up and hopefully in decent physical shape as well. Just need to go over some details with my mail checker, etc.. and I am ready !! I have tried to do a 3.5 mile somewhat hilly loop hike 6 out of 7 days since the first week of Dec. added a old heavy 3 lb. pack with about 20 lbs in it to my routine this month. Been doing 3 on 3 off. Plan on doubling the loop with one loop no pack, one with the next 18 or 19 days with Mondays off, then kick back the last Wed. or Thur. and rest up. Even at my age I find myself getting excited for my 4th attempt. Going all the way this time. One step and one day at a time. The most rewarding work I have done the past few weeks is on my mental attitude and remembering how much I like walking in the woods for long periods. Taking time to look around as I hike, except where the footpath must be paid close attention to has been a real treat. Seeing lots more wildlife again.

.My jump off day either Feb 11th or 12th depending on when my ride can get off work.

Good luck everyone....:cool:

freefall
01-21-2006, 20:24
About 95% ready. Procrastinator here too. Got my ticket to ATL and res. made for 1st night in GA but still need a couple of pieces of gear and to assemble my first mail drops. Be in GA on Feb. 25th.

Frosty
01-21-2006, 20:36
I'm ready to go, but it's not quite March 1st yet...What he said!

mweinstone
01-21-2006, 21:54
i feel better being in a crowd of impatient people rather than thinkig i was alone .one of the cool things about leaving to thru hike is the hyper organization that goes on in our lives first. its like if i died right now ,there wouldnt be any thing to do !bills are paid months in advance,..our personal things are all stored away and ready to start in any direction when we return. its about as free as a 21st century person gets.

handlebar
01-23-2006, 00:09
I'm all set. done full-pack 5 milers, spent 28 deg nights in the tent and bag, simulated breakfast and dinner using my penny alcohols stove. Two or three minor items to acquire----plastic bottle for olive oil.

But for now, I'm skiing. Have a trip to Utah planned first week of March. Oddly my knees always feel better after several days of hard skiing. Go figure. There's a possibility the trip may have to be cancelled. If so, I may advance my start a week.

Tudor
01-23-2006, 00:43
I'm probably 65% ready! :rolleyes: Gonna get my new merrell boots and osprey pack this coming weekend (if I can get off of work!) and still have to get a stove, cook set, water purifier, hammock, and hemp pants & shirt & soap off of the net. I also need to get into my rolling lunar workout. Maybe I'm only 50% ready? :confused: lol Great thing is that I don't head out until the 1st 2 weeks of June. Up until that point, I'm hiking it already in my mind. :sun Good luck to all the NOBO's getting ready to head out! I hope to meet some of you on my trek South.

minnesotasmith
01-23-2006, 00:52
and, have about 85% of my gear. I still have to figure out where I'm sending drops north of the Smokies, check with the places I'll send drops to, arrange exactly what I want in each box, and address them. I have three places to pick up some last-minute gear once I hit Atlanta that I've checked or ordered gear to be there. I'll need several days in Atlanta to do everything. Sigh. It'd be easier to be on the Trail.

OTOH, my training is going well, a mite better than the minimum I figure it has to be right now. I'm doing walks 2 out of 3 days on slightly hilly terrain for durations that routinely exceed 2 hours. By the time I hit Amicalola around 3 weeks from now, I'll have been doing 5+ miles a day, no problem. The Trail always motivates me into at least 3 more daily miles than I was doing in training.

hammock engineer
01-23-2006, 01:53
I'm about 60% ready. I am another shippment of gear coming next week. Can't wait to get my Granite Gear Vapor Gear pack in the mail. I am going to start making my hammock tarp tomorrow, and my sleeping quilts after that.

As for training, I only make it to hike about once a week. But my job to fund my hike is at a server in a resturant. I think I walk at least 6+ a miles a night.

Smile
01-23-2006, 08:37
Ready to go!

Class of 2006 is going to be great, so many terrific people heading out -this is your year! Looking forward to reading trail journals for those who are starting shortly and what you are up to!
If you didn't create one for yourself yet, check out http://trailjournals.com

To go right to the 2006 AT journals for reading first , click here http://www.trailjournals.com/journals.cfm?type=year&Year=2006

I wish you all hot food, warm bags, tough feet and soft toilet paper....

rusty075
01-23-2006, 12:08
I'm itching like a man on a fuzzy tree.

The apartment is sublet, the car is sold, notice has been given at the job, the gear is bought, the maildrop boxes are addressed, the training is on schedule, the travel to Springer is arranged....Arrrrcggghh! Now I have over a month to wait!?!?!? Oh well, I guess I'll read the Companion a couple of more times.

snowhoe
01-23-2006, 12:44
Although I am only going from Springer to Hot Springs I am very excited and my thoughts about the A.T consume me. My wife and friends are also ready for March 14th to get here so they will not have to hear me say "80 more days until I leave, 73 days until I leave, 2 months until I leave. Little do they know when I return I will have more experencise to tell them about.... 50 DAYS UNTIL I LEAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spirit Walker
01-23-2006, 13:01
90 days and we're supposed to be on the trail (CDT). In between we have a house to sell (it gets listed this Friday), and lots of packing to do. Getting ready for the trail is fairly straightforward at this point. We have a tentative itinerary and have bought all the maps and new guidebooks. We just need to mark our maps and coordinate the new supplemental guidebooks with the originals. All our gear has been purchased except water filter cartridges and new raingear. I am excited.

mweinstone
01-23-2006, 15:09
thats funny

Wonder
01-24-2006, 03:55
Got to step up the training, dry some more food, grab a pair of trailrunners for the mid-section.....oh, yeah.....borrow a butt load of money! Other then that....I'm set! 53 days and counting!

0x12d3
01-24-2006, 06:16
Working, Working Working. I needs da money! Gear is about all bought. Still need maps and clothes. Gave apartment people 90 days notice. Everyone at my jobs knows when I'm leaving and where I'm going but no official 2 weeks notice yet. People I got it bad! I'm cookin' with a camp stove in my kitchen! The amount of unleft planning is still yet astounding though. I just got a little gear and a big dream. Hopefully the rest works itself out :- )

sandman
01-24-2006, 11:10
Impatiently waiting 44 days for the train, 46 days to route 42. Excited and scared at the same time. Posters have been very helpful. See some of you soon. sandman

mweinstone
01-24-2006, 20:13
you have a good 40 years left on this planet. dont be scared.we were not made with a spirit of fear but with streangth and power.your 62,therefor ,i.e......you will be sexyer than any of us young bucks draped over the sign in your summit shot on big k.think about this. if i hike around the world people say..nice job mat.but if a senior walks far its a regular show stopper. why ,...every chick over 40 is gonna want you.or .....your wife.

stumpknocker
01-24-2006, 21:20
Just 4 to 5 weeks until I'll be known as a Nobo. Really looking forward to this walk. :)

wren
01-24-2006, 21:33
Gear is pretty much all set. Notice has been given at work. Still need to give the landlord notice.. Some logistical odds and ends still need to be worked out, but im 100% mentally ready to go. April is right around the corner! Whooo!

_boulder_
01-24-2006, 22:39
maybe 80% ready.
devils in the details. Last day of work is a week away, 1/31.
Car's sold. Apartment's gone. Most of what I own is dumped, donated or in storage. debts are paid off or deferred.
Getting together with 3 past thru-hikers who willtuckerize my pack and tell me what I need or don't need I feel like I'm missing something. Still testing gear... especially tent and stove. Been training all along and will ramp up through February. Not sure there is a way to be 100% ready. Learn from the trail.

mweinstone
01-24-2006, 23:29
your response is sooooo honest .dont listen to your friends if they tell you to leave something if your uncomfortable without it. when they give you a reason to not take an item that sounds good to you ,then leave it.remember that the gut is a brain and you should listen to your gut.today i told my ultralight friend bill at the hardware store that i was doing my thru hike without my pot lifter. he said never.that it was to important in turnning your pot lid into a frypan for eggs.i said i was leaving my lid home and taking foil.again he said no.we agreed the fuel wasted to make up for a less efficient lid outweighed the pots original lid.and i do like my eggs after a store.so im not using my bandanna as a pot lifter after all .and im bringin the lid .eatin eggs.fried.in the drippings from a pound of bacon.before the main course of cherrios and milk.at each and every store with food i come to.witch reminds me.im gonna go start a thred about hudge munch outs of historic proportions and the effect of hiking on appetite.god im hungry thinking about how hungry i get after hiking a few weeks.

hammock engineer
01-25-2006, 00:41
Got a big shippment today. Now have my Granite Gear Vapor Trail pack, mid weight tops and bottoms, and hydration system. About 80% done. Got some sewing to do, then the gear will be complete.

mweinstone
01-25-2006, 18:16
sweetwatwer filter by msr. 11oz .replaces my water works ex by msr at 19 oz . 7 more ounces lifted off my bitchin load.now at 38 lbs loaded with food fuel and water, for 8 days.my average pack weight is 27lbs.nice.
oh and by the way,...that big ball of fire in the sky we call sun,......yeah,.well it went down again just a minute ago.you know what that means.one day closer to...................itchy........scratchy....stic ky.........smelly.........dirty........no toilet havin....beerless............uphill..........march ing to bliss.ahhhhhhhh the joys of a simple pot o macs an cheese with a side of trail.how i miss sitting on furniture made entierly of rock.sleepless nights on the wrong and rocky spot you picked out by mistake.and the ever wonderful river under you in a storm in your tent.and theres the ran out of food yesterday run to the store starving.and who calls it hiking if you dont get at least one super blister that hurts even when you sleep?can not wait!

Zzzzdyd
01-25-2006, 20:00
contagious, well it would be if I wasn't already hyped. Got a email from Ron
at Sixmoons today assuring me I will have my tent in time for my jump off
on Feb 11th. hoping to get my new Smartwool this week. Still putting the
food drops together, but feel good about it all. Making sure I get something
done besides my training everyday. Organize stuff for my support team, put
food drops together, etc. Sheese I want to go NOW !! :banana

sweetwatwer filter by msr. 11oz .replaces my water works ex by msr at 19 oz . 7 more ounces lifted off my bitchin load.now at 38 lbs loaded with food fuel and water, for 8 days.my average pack weight is 27lbs.nice.
oh and by the way,...that big ball of fire in the sky we call sun,......yeah,.well it went down again just a minute ago.you know what that means.one day closer to...................itchy........scratchy....stic ky.........smelly.........dirty........no toilet havin....beerless............uphill..........march ing to bliss.ahhhhhhhh the joys of a simple pot o macs an cheese with a side of trail.how i miss sitting on furniture made entierly of rock.sleepless nights on the wrong and rocky spot you picked out by mistake.and the ever wonderful river under you in a storm in your tent.and theres the ran out of food yesterday run to the store starving.and who calls it hiking if you dont get at least one super blister that hurts even when you sleep?can not wait!

PartnerShip
01-25-2006, 22:32
We sold everything. Left our jobs as of end of 2005. Worked for years as a server in a restaurant as well as a CNA. Years of walking miles a day but climbed no mountains. So it will be different but at least I am used to being on my feet each day. Doing lots of walking at the beach and freaking from not working.Will probably get a server job for a month before leaving April 1st. Jeff (Stillness) has all his gear I will have my Granite Gear when I get back to Tennessee (was sent to wrong address but traced it). Very excited and scared and can't wait to meet new people from here and others we met at SORUCK. Good luck to all.

Zzzzdyd
02-07-2006, 00:11
Got the new Six Moons Lunar Solo e' tent today. I just finished seam
sealing it. Seem like a great tent. Well put together and feels like quality
material that will hold up. We shall soon see huh...

Be warned if your expecting delivery of one soon. DO NOT take off the
thing a ma jiggy from the front guy out line. It's supposed to be there,
and it's installed correctly, just doesn't look like it.
The plastic thing a ma jiggy is to hook to the front vestibule and lets you
adjust its height... duh ...One ties the end of the main guyline cord off to
the stake..duh again...

I removed mine with out thinking and long story short, even talking
to Ron on the phone I couldn't get it on correctly again. I had to go ask my
youngest son for help. Took him all of 10 seconds to get it on correctly.

Sheese I will never hear the end of it !! lol :> )))

I now have all my gear and very happy and comfortable with all of it.

Just need to do 3 more food drops and a few odds and ends and I am
READY !!

Hoping to sign in at Springer approx. noon this Friday...

Good hiking one and all and keep your powder dry !!

N. Andrew Bland :sun

mweinstone
02-07-2006, 21:47
i either have a ride this friday or next or im takin the train.im in limbo cause of my sons problems .wish 16 wasnt so hard for the kids and the parents. why cant it be just hard on them?i am able to leave in 12 hours notice on the train if i want but im staying to get my son into a better light.still 50 % chance that tommorow is my next to my last day in this world of appalachiantrailessness.matthewski waits.its like the shuttle holding at two minutes. terrible kinetic axst!

Zzzzdyd
02-08-2006, 05:40
Matthew.

My ride, who is also my oldest son is having problems with high blood
pressure that has me somewhat worried too. He has been to the Dr's for
test 2 or 3 times the last two weeks. He's only 35 and otherwise super
healthy, but has a family history of heart problems on both sides, so he's
taking it serious. We have talked a bit and both believe it's mostly just the
stress of his new promotion that included the company opening a new
place for him.

It may be Friday PM before we get to Springer. He can't leave until he drops his kids off at school .
It's approx. 6 hour drive for us, maybe more on a heavy traffic Friday.
I had hoped we could leave earlier !!
Oh well I will get there if I have to take a Greyhound !!

When ever you get started have a good hike. I will leave interesting photos
and a few of the better phone numbers I get for ya in the shelter journals.
Just don't look for me in the shelters. I personally hate em. Mice are BAD,
and I always get the loudest snorers on either side of me. No more for this
guy. I will be in my little green tent well away from the noisy asses !!

...............keep your powder dry...........:sun

mweinstone
02-08-2006, 21:34
i tent .megamid light blue and green.i shelter when its cool to.do you do 20's and will we meet if im weeks behind you?days behind you?i do 20's after about the dam.

_boulder_
02-08-2006, 23:50
20 days and i'm about as ready as i'll be.
no job, no car, no apartment, almost no bills until i get back...
BUT no, my gear isn't ready, no i haven planned mail drops, no i don't have a tentative schedule, no i haven't sifficiently tested my gear... but hell, i'll learn as i go... all part nof the experience.

want to be out there and take it as it comes. never done anything like this, so really no way to know how to do it perfectly.

see you all there.

neo
02-09-2006, 14:35
just want to wish two whiteblazers the best of luck on their thru next month that i have just recently met,sneakers and turtle2,happy trails also to all whiteblazer this year:cool: neo

ScottP
02-09-2006, 16:17
My flight leaves in 35 days.

ScottP
02-09-2006, 16:22
My gear is all here, except for my ray-way quilt kit (alpine upgraded), and I'm in great shape--I'm at the end of college wrestling season.

My walk is to help raise funds and awareness for ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) and I found a professional marketer that will be helping me solicit donations and a web-designer.

mweinstone
02-09-2006, 17:01
i pray you do fine and good work helping others. nothing pays like giving.hey i just coined a cool phrase!