PDA

View Full Version : Damascus to Woods Hole/Perisburgh

tawa
01-27-2017, 19:04
Planning on doing the section from Damascus to Woods Hole/Perisburgh.
Seeking opinions on best direction to go N or S?
Ideas on best way to get in and out of these locations?
Leaving from and returning to Evansville IN and we do have Greyhound.
Just not sure on drop off locations and possible shuttle opportunities.
Thanks for your help.
Tawa

ernie84
01-27-2017, 19:26
I hiked the northern half of this section, VA-42 to Pearsiburg, in 2016. For me, northbound is the way to go. If you decide to go all the way to Pearisburg, you will be rewarded with a nice view of the New River Valley from Angels Rest to cap off your hike.

Shuttles should not be a problem in this section. I have used Bubba, from Bland, a couple time before. Rates were very reasonable. I know there is a least one shuttle driver in Pearisburg. There is a Greyhound station in Roanoke.

bigcranky
01-27-2017, 19:51
I would go northbound. This is a pretty section, with some great views and some quiet sections in rolling farmland. If you have the time, maybe an extra week, consider going all the way to Daleville and add the "Virginia Triple Crown" of MacAfee Knob, Dragon's Tooth, and Tinker Cliffs.

ratfaceraines
01-27-2017, 22:00
I shuttle out of pearisburg, feel free to call anytime @540-921-7433(RIDE). I can also answer any questions you may have.

johnnybgood
01-27-2017, 22:22
Don Raines is the man if needing a shuttle driver for Pearisburg , (540-921-7433). I'd also take the Virginia Creeper Trail from Damascus which follows a scenic bike path ,crossing wooden bridges spanning the Holston River.

Rmcpeak
01-28-2017, 20:27
Did it last summer. Nobo. Great hike! I hauled ass and did it 6 days: http://hikingbob.blogspot.com/2016/07/damascus-to-woods-hole.html

Call Woods Hole and get a firm answer as to whether they are open or not. They were very flaky last late summer and not open when I showed up. My hike was done there, I had connected previously hiked sections, so I got a ride into Pearisburg and stayed in the hiker room at the Holliday Lodge, which was very pleasant. The Goodwill and huge supermarket across the street came in handy too.

Don't pass up Dismal Falls. I think it's a half mile off trail. One of the nicer spots you'll come to.

Here are my (not so detailed) notes: http://hikingbob.blogspot.com/2016/07/damascus-to-woods-hole.html

Grunt
01-28-2017, 22:20
Did this section back Northbound in 2013 and enjoyed the hike. Nice camping and bathing just before Wapita Shelter. Your man for the shuttle is Don Raines .... good guy... fair and on time. We used Wood's Hole for a mail drop and 1/2 zero.... glad we did... very beautiful and mystical... say hi to Nevelle. When you descend down into Pearisburg you will be glad you went northbound.... because it would be a killer hump if you were heading the other direction.

Slo-go'en
01-28-2017, 23:35
I'd take the bus to Marion, VA then shuttle down to Damascus. Then when you get to Perisburgh shuttle to Roanoke for a bus home.

Don't take this section for granted, it's pretty bumpy and more challenging then the profile map might have you think. It does get easier as you approach Perisburgh. I like this end of VA.

You don't say when you plan this hike. It's a good section to do in the late spring while everything is still in bloom and the weather cool - but be sure to keep Trail Days weekend in mind. You may or may not want to be caught up in the middle of that bubble. The day after Trail Days, all of Virginia seems to suddenly fill up.

ratfaceraines
01-31-2017, 00:36
Another option to consider would be mega bus. The closest stop to this section would be christiansburg, va. The earlier you book, the less expensive it can be.