PDA

View Full Version : Northern Smokies

Painted Turtle
01-28-2017, 11:20
I have the AT almost done. I need the last 8.5 miles in GA and the Northern Smokies. Now the last 3 years I have planned to hike the Northern Smokies and had to back out the last minute. This year I am going to get it done if I have to crawl. As things stand right now I am looking at the beginning of June, probably within the first two weeks. Now Like I said I have it all planned (3 times) but looking for suggestions / input. Always willing to tweak a plan. Any personal feelings / facts about the shelters?

Thanks

HooKooDooKu
01-28-2017, 12:29
I assume you are trying to hike from Newfound Gap to Davenport Gap.
I likely already know that the most difficult part of this trip is shuttles. Both ends of the AT in GSMNP are relatively remote, and Newound Gap is deep in the heart of the park. So shuttles are expensive ($$$).
Because you are doing a section hike, you will need a reservation for each campsite/shelter you plan to stay at.
Because you will be a section hiker, you won't be limited to shelters on the AT, so if you have the time, one way to deal with the shuttle cost is to instead do a loop with the AT being one side of the loop.
One of the must does on this section is the short side trail to Mount Cammerer. A little less known is the side trail to 'The Jumpoff'. This side trail is located about 1/10 mile down the Boulevard Trail located about 3 miles from Newfound Gap.
Ice Water Springs shelter can be crowded because it is so close to the road. I don't know about current reports, but years ago, the Brown Book 'Hiking Trails of the Smokies' listed the Davenport Gap shelter as an occasional party place because of its relative remoteness yet close to the road.
If you should decide to try a loop, head up Baxter Creek trail to see the Mt Sherling Fire Tower, and I also like Laural Gap shelter, and Balsam Mtn Trail is a relatively level trail back to the AT.
If you want to see an abandoned shelter, at a low point in the trail between Chalie's Bunion and the side trail to Pecks is a side trail to the left. It's a very eroded trail (hence the reason the shelter was torn down) and drops about 300' to the ruins of this old shelter.
If you like going off trail, the AT swings around the crest of Mtn Guyot, a mountain with the distinction of being the highest peak in east of the Mississippi River with no path to the top. (It's on my bucket list to go fingers the geological Survey marker at the top).

Slo-go'en
01-28-2017, 13:16
The most important thing is to reserve your spot in the shelters as soon as the 30 day window opens so you can get in the ones you choose. At your age, you might want to go shelter to shelter.

The northern end of the park is easier then the southern end and a lot different. There are several "knife edge" sections which have nice views in both directions.

Sandy of PA
01-28-2017, 15:05
Another note, the side trail to Mt Cammerer lookout is worth the 1.2 mile round trip, before you head down the mountain to Davenport Gap.

Painted Turtle
01-29-2017, 12:48
Thanks to all for the input. As far as going shelter to shelter I have considered that and outlined a few different plans as to the shelter use. Yes I am old :) but under the right conditions can still do a 15 mile day, but forget about the next :mad:. The one plan that I keep flip flopping back and forth between is on day one to "Icewater" or on day one to "Peck" With "Icewater" being over crowded and "Peck" being .5 off the trail can not make up my mind. Did the southern part 3 years ago North to South and did not find it bad at all so if the northern part is easier great.