PDA

View Full Version : replacing gear most common

penny b
01-28-2017, 12:10
I am curious for those who thru-hike or hiking a lot what is the most COMMON thing you need to replace for gear while out on the trail ? Besides socks , shoes.

handlebar
01-28-2017, 12:21
Other than socks and shoes, batteries are the most common item that I replace. However, that's not what you're looking for. I have had to replace a section of a Leki trekking pole that already being bent broke while beating in anger at a cactus which had stabbed me on the Arizona Trail. Thankfully a call to Leki's US support team in Buffalo, NY resulted in the needed part being delivered to my next town stop via priority mail at no cost to me. The other item is a 2L Platypus that developed a leak at the top where the plastic part that attaches to the cap is glued to the plastic of the body of the Platy. This one might have been due to my cinching down too tight on on a filled Platy as it rode atop my pack from a water source a mile or so to the location where I planned a dry camp. I should not the leak was minor and I had plenty of H20 for dinner and to start the next day. Cascade Designs replaced that Platy for free after I returned from the thru. Finally, a similar situation occured when I fell amongst some cats claw on the AZT and punctured the Platy. A little duct tape took care of that until I could replace it.

HooKooDooKu
01-28-2017, 12:33
One of the most difficult things I've had to deal with on the trail was dealing with a damaged water bag (such as a Platypus) caused by dropping it while full of water.

Cheyou
01-28-2017, 12:42
1 Sawyer squeeze bags
2 carbon trekking pole shaft and carbide tips

Slo-go'en
01-28-2017, 13:07
I've had to replace the tips of my poles a couple of times. Had one pull off between some rocks in MD, couldn't replace it until Waynesboro - that was a pain.

I've met a few people who needed their Osprey pack replaced due to broken frames.

I've had to buy a few things along the way, most notably long Johns and gaiters. Didn't think I was going to need them and turned out I did. Some people end up replacing gear which isn't working out for them or which they didn't bring to begin with, like me with long johns and gaiters.

Bronk
01-28-2017, 13:43
I had to replace a water filter but it was covered under the warranty and the outfitter in Damascus switched it out for me. I also replaced a lot of clothing, but these were easy adjustments to make. I've thrown clothing away because it was dirty and stinky...which is why I try to buy hiking clothing at Walmart when its on sale at the end of the season. Do your best to make sure you get your pack, tent and sleeping system right and the other adjustments you make won't be that difficult or expensive.

Tipi Walter
01-28-2017, 14:34
1 Sawyer squeeze bags
2 carbon trekking pole shaft and carbide tips

This is true---definitely pole tips because of broken off titanium tips. Other items: Boots, ink pens for trip reports, t-shirts, shorts, hair brush on occasion, water filter cartridge (twice a year or more).

MAINTENANCE REPLACEMENTS
These are items replaced BEFORE they break---especially Thermarest sleeping pads. If I have a good long year of use on a Thermy inflatable I'll go ahead and replace it with a new pad. I'll replace stove pump parts before they wear out. Shoelaces. Gearing up for a long trip is sort of like gearing up for any long endeavor---Make sure all the gear is ready, fixed and/or new.

Old Hiker
01-28-2017, 14:40
Toilet paper. Frequently.

Socks and boots, but you didn't want to know that.

Fuel canisters.

Few dry bags that got wear holes in them.

Couple of lighters, but I found a few to replace them. Not sure "found" = "replace".

Pair of pants that wore out.

Few batteries - AAA for the headlamp.

Sandy of PA
01-28-2017, 14:49
I had to get smaller pants on a long hike, lost so many inches my hip belt was making them slide down until I was tripping on the bottom of the legs.

4eyedbuzzard
01-28-2017, 16:38
Shoe laces. I've had them break. Another reason to carry some spare line.

Bic lighter. I've had them run out of fuel, and also just plain malfunction (usually a jammed flint). They can be prone to failure especially if they get wet. If you try to operate (light) it when wet, often the flint will mush out like a paste against the striker wheel, clogging the wheel and jamming the very short flint, and it will never work again. I always carry some sort of spare fire starting device.

Tent stakes. I've mangled a few and even lost a couple over the years. Not usually a big problem as there are usually plenty of sticks and rocks around.

Ironbelly
01-28-2017, 18:53
Besides socks and shoes I would venture a guess that the next most common items that need replacement are some manner of ones shelter, trekking poles, or water storage/filter. But really shoes are the only real item replaced due to damage with common frequency. Most everything else lasts a good long while as long as they are taken care of. Clothing will eventually develop wear and tear, but damage can be taken to mean a lot of things other than wear and tear.

Like critters chewing a hole in a pack or food bag. But that doesn't really warrant replacement, a little piece of tape etc can fix that kind of damage.

ScareBear
01-28-2017, 19:12
Things that seem to go, in order:

tent stake(bent or forgotten)
battery
lighter
guy line(the ones on the BA UL tents suck mucho)
carbide tip(s)
a hole magically appears in the screen of the tent
a hole magically appears in the floor of the tent
one of your buckles on anything breaks, usually the prong
a zipper on anything goes Tango Union
your filter takes a crap or the filter just gives up(my First Need won't make it 2000 miles on one filter cartridge...)

Depending on the age of your kit, YMMV...just sayin...

Old Hiker
01-28-2017, 19:15
Forgot: filter cartridges for my Sweetwater Guardian plus the siltstoppers on the end of the intake line.

ScareBear
01-28-2017, 19:22
I had to get smaller pants on a long hike, lost so many inches my hip belt was making them slide down until I was tripping on the bottom of the legs.

Congrats!!! :D

Hikingjim
01-28-2017, 20:09
Bear bag after the bears rip it and eat all your food (joking, hopefully)

I agree with poles and/or tips. They take the most abuse after your footwear.
You'll might leave a couple things somewhere as well. Have chased down at least a few hikers after they left their rain jackets or other wet clothes hanging in the shelter.

Pack is also possible. A lot of other gear (like shelter) you can do a good temporary fix and keep on goin'. But if you get the right type of hail, your cuben tent might look like the one in the thread below. Not usually the case though
https://www.reddit.com/r/AppalachianTrail/comments/4hkjjl/zpacks_tents_dont_like_hail/

ScareBear
01-28-2017, 21:02

I agree with poles and/or tips. They take the most abuse after your footwear.
You'll might leave a couple things somewhere as well. Have chased down at least a few hikers after they left their rain jackets or other wet clothes hanging in the shelter.

Pack is also possible. A lot of other gear (like shelter) you can do a good temporary fix and keep on goin'. But if you get the right type of hail, your cuben tent might look like the one in the thread below. Not usually the case though
https://www.reddit.com/r/AppalachianTrail/comments/4hkjjl/zpacks_tents_dont_like_hail/

YIKES! That is some good sized hail. Looks like just a little smaller than a golf ball size. Bet that night sucked! Probably a tornado touch down nearby too...

Cheyou
01-28-2017, 21:37
Do u mean knees , hips Black toe nails? just kidding

thom

Dogwood
01-28-2017, 22:27
Beyond consumables which include batteries, shoes, and socks...sunglasses and reading glasses. Keep losing or breaking them. Best to put a lanyard on them and keep them around the neck or on top of the head.

Polycro flat/DIY bathtub and flat lighter wt Tyvek groundsheets go rather fast.

IF I had chosen ZPacks UL/SUL haulers using the sul versions of about 2.5 yrs ago that would have been a costly gear expenditure considering the types of off trail and amount of yearly hiking I do. One $300+ pack ever yr since I was averaging 3000+ miles for 7 yrs.

Dogwood
01-28-2017, 22:29
batteries I consider consumables. lol however, with the number of shoes i go through yearly maybe they should be considered consumables too?

4eyedbuzzard
01-28-2017, 22:47
Honorable mention from the good old days of external frame packs - pack pins and rings. We always carried a few spares of these in the good ol' days.

Slo-go'en
01-28-2017, 23:43
Honorable mention from the good old days of external frame packs - pack pins and rings. We always carried a few spares of these in the good ol' days.

I used to pick those up around shelters to put in my repair bag. I used to find a lot of earrings too, but never a pair.

ScareBear
01-29-2017, 02:39

Clevis pins. Oh, the joy of clevis pins...those were the golden days....

Engine
01-29-2017, 06:35
Prior to switching to a Sawyer filter, I was always having to replace O-rings or filter elements on my PUR Hiker.

greensleep
01-29-2017, 09:18
Clevis pins. Oh, the joy of clevis pins...those were the golden days....

In sailing we used to call those "Jesus pins"; lose one and hell can break loose.

Christoph
01-29-2017, 09:23
The only thing that actually wore out were my poles and they really could have gone another 250 miles or more. They were the Walmart Ozark Trail poles honestly, they survived a lot longer than I thought. Made it 750 miles and I was really hard on them. I'm using the same brand again this time around and I'll be a lot easier on them (not throwing them around, using them on pavement, etc..) and see how long these can really go.

garlic08
01-29-2017, 10:14
After a break-in hike on the PCT to get my gear dialed in and find weaknesses, I've never had to replace anything but clothing. I use 1-liter soda bottles so I can replace them at any road crossing. I once lost my tent stakes, but trail angels helped me out, and I've found enough of those and given them away to make up for that. I've had to buy a new shirt on two season-long hikes--one lost, one torn.

The trail seems to provide for most needs. Once a plastic pack buckle broke, a critical one on a shoulder strap. I was walking through an old mine site when that happened, and I found a piece of heavy wire and enough tools to bend it to shape. The result was superior to the original and the pack still has the field repair.

Tipi Walter
01-29-2017, 10:44

Speaking of which, I lost two Thermarests in the course of many trips due to friendly bear activity. Pics below.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpacking2010/16-Days-with-a-Miracle-Dog/i-qNbThKH/0/L/BEAR%20DAMAGE%20004-L.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpacking2012/Tipi-Walter-with-Cranbrook/i-TBQtSGh/0/L/TRIP%20131%20332-L.jpg

Tipi Walter
01-29-2017, 10:46
Oh and btw, everyone should study Christine Thuermer's (the German Tourist) blog on what break when etc---

http://christine-on-big-trip.blogspot.com/p/what-breaks-when-and-why.html