PDA

View Full Version : The Outfitter, Harpers Ferry

Almost There
01-21-2006, 20:13
You need to check this out on trailjournals. The new rules setup by the Outfitter makes me want to recommend that you seek a different store to buy your gear, but read their journal(1 page) and make the decision for yourself.

Here is the link: http://trailjournals.com/outfitter/

neo
01-21-2006, 20:15
You need to check this out on trailjournals. The new rules setup by the Outfitter makes me want to recommend that you seek a different store to buy your gear, but read their journal(1 page) and make the decision for yourself.

i stoped there in 2003,i really loved that cool little shop:cool: neo

freefall
01-21-2006, 20:19

When I saw it earlier today, I figured either someone is trying to be funny, or mean.

Almost There
01-21-2006, 20:43
Yeah, I don't know if it's a joke, but it looks pretty official, you know what I'll email them and find out if this is for real.

Jack Tarlin
01-21-2006, 20:45
Dunno what you mean....there's nothing at that link now.

What are you talking about?

Mother Nature
01-21-2006, 20:54
Hello, this is Laurie with The Outfitter in Harpers Ferry. We wanted to let everyone know this year we have some new rules due to local complaints.
Please take a shower before coming into the store! Locals are complaining about the smell! Also please leave your packs outside due to the rise of thefts.
Also we ask that you let a local ahead of you in line, we appreciate your help! Laurie

I went to Trail Journels to see it.

Mother Nature

Almost There
01-21-2006, 20:57
Yeah, don't know why it isn't showing up but Mother Nature posted it. If you go to 2006 journals and look up The outfitter, you will see it. I just emailed them to see if, in fact, they did put it up. I'll let you know, I can tell you this their guestbook on TJs isn't a happy one!

Cheesewhiz
01-21-2006, 21:07
Read the guestbook. some of the entries have good points

neo
01-21-2006, 21:13
in the lower part of the shop is a really cool creek flowing thru it,the upper part of the shop is small but well stocked with some excellent gear,i remember a lot of really cool ultra lite gear,the lady that runs the shop is so sweet and absolutly beautiful,my favorite shop on the whole AT,I LOOKED AT THE LINK AND IT WAS BLANK,here is a link to the store:cool: neo

http://www.theoutfitteratharpersferry.com/

kyhipo
01-21-2006, 21:32
I wander If I could sit on the porch and drink coffee?would I have to take a shower:) ky,good people in harpers ferry even when I was a wild man they treated me good.

Jack Tarlin
01-21-2006, 21:44
I just read the guest book, and a lot of it is nonsense.

I suggest before we get all hot and bothered about this, we wait til we hear more from Laurie about the reasons for this.

And keep in mind that anyone who thinks Laurie or The Outfitter in HF is not hiker friendly has obviously never been there. For ten years, it's been one of the two or three best-regarded outfitters on the entire Trail, and Laurie and Ron bend over backwards to help folks.

And Harpers Ferry is indeed a chi-chi, expensive TOURIST town. It's not a trail town the way Hot Springs is. And keep in mind, thru-hikers pass thru a town for a few short months....and then, in many cases, never come back. A small-town business HAS to pay attention to the needs and complaints of its locals, who provide the store with year-round, REPEAT business. And this is true, even if we, as hikers, think that some of their complaints are silly.

Lastly, the packs outside rule is perfectly fair:

1. Packs do indeed stink, and the Outfitter's in HF is a tiny place; it's not
that hard to stink it out.
2. It's an extrememely cramped space because it's so small, and it has so
much stuff on display everywhere. It's VERY easy for stuff to get
knocked over or damaged if people are wearing packs in the store.
3. Lastly, despite what's been said in the Journal Guestbook, some hikers do
indeed steal. How do I know this? Because I personally have caught
several, in Outfitter stores and elsewhere. ANY Outfitter on the Trail will
confirm that this unfortunate situation exists and gets worse every year.

In short, I think we need to calm down a bit til we hear more from Laurie about the reasons for all this. Til then, I think we're making a rush to judgment about a very fine place and an even finer person.

neo
01-21-2006, 21:59
I just read the guest book, and a lot of it is nonsense.

I suggest before we get all hot and bothered about this, we wait til we hear more from Laurie about the reasons for this.

And keep in mind that anyone who thinks Laurie or The Outfitter in HF is not hiker friendly has obviously never been there. For ten years, it's been one of the two or three best-regarded outfitters on the entire Trail, and Laurie and Ron bend over backwards to help folks.

And Harpers Ferry is indeed a chi-chi, expensive TOURIST town. It's not a trail town the way Hot Springs is. And keep in mind, thru-hikers pass thru a town for a few short months....and then, in many cases, never come back. A small-town business HAS to pay attention to the needs and complaints of its locals, who provide the store with year-round, REPEAT business. And this is true, even if we, as hikers, think that some of their complaints are silly.

Lastly, the packs outside rule is perfectly fair:

1. Packs do indeed stink, and the Outfitter's in HF is a tiny place; it's not
that hard to stink it out.
2. It's an extrememely cramped space because it's so small, and it has so
much stuff on display everywhere. It's VERY easy for stuff to get
knocked over or damaged if people are wearing packs in the store.
3. Lastly, despite what's been said in the Journal Guestbook, some hikers do
indeed steal. How do I know this? Because I personally have caught
several, in Outfitter stores and elsewhere. ANY Outfitter on the Trail will
confirm that this unfortunate situation exists and gets worse every year.

In short, I think we need to calm down a bit til we hear more from Laurie about the reasons for all this. Til then, I think we're making a rush to judgment about a very fine place and an even finer person.

my favorite outfitter on the trail,plus laurie is a sweet and beautiful lady:cool: neo

Almost There
01-21-2006, 22:25
I apologize for starting this, I should have emailed first, but I thought it would be good to start simply because of what you said Jack. Many of us jump back and forth between both sites, so others would see it. As I said my first impression was to tell people to shop elsewhere, but the idea was to get people to come out here in support of or against with real life basis behind it. I have emailed Lori, so we'll see what comes back, and I hope she'll give a longer explaination, which I will be more than happy to pass on to everyone here. The shower and pack thing didn't bother me, but letting others in front of me if I'm in line waiting to pay??? Anyways, I'll wait until I see what she says. BTW, yes as of now my hiking this summer will bring me through Harpers.

PartnerShip
01-21-2006, 22:49
I saw this earlier today when updating our journal. Thought it was a joke but just a few minutes ago read some of the replies that signed the guest book, Baltimore Jack etc. Was going to post it on here earlier but being new to this I am not sure how to start a thread. Surely this isnt real, I mean couldn't there have been a nicer, friendlier way to get the message across to those who may be visiting their store this year. I bought my pack online through ebay from them and was planning on stopping in. Just doesn't seem very professional to me if it is for real.

timhines
01-21-2006, 22:55
they sell a lot of stuff on eBay too. I'm interested to see what is posted by the owners.

Smile
01-21-2006, 23:51
Great store!

Aren't most of their customer's hikers?

Almost There
01-22-2006, 01:23
Here is a reply from the Outfitter. Someone is trying to defame them, I let them know what is going on and will email Leif and Zipdrive to let them know about the bogus journal.

New rules that we would like hikers to follow ! WOW, we never ask hikers to follow rules that we write ! Theere is plenty already, so not us my friend, got The Wrong Outfitter with us...let me know if you can.

The Outfitter at Harpers Ferry
Celebrating our 10th Year.

Sly
01-22-2006, 02:03
Yeah, it didn't sound like Laurie, afterall she's the Cottie Queen!

Regardless, a shower before entering any establishment (if possible), and leaving your also stinky pack outside is considered common courtesy.

MisterSweetie
01-22-2006, 03:27
they sell a lot of stuff on eBay too. I'm interested to see what is posted by the owners.I recently made a purchase from their eBay store. Ron sent me the wrong item, but when I told him, not only did he tell me to keep the wrong item (a nalgene), he sent me the correct item AND a five dollar bill. This is my only experience with the Outfitter, but I consider it a good one, and they will get more business from me in the future. I hope they see this post, too...

Jack Tarlin
01-22-2006, 12:09
Just talked to Laura.

No, she doesn't have a journal at Trailjournals, and no, these anti-hiker rules will not be enacted. It's all a fraud, done by someone trying to damage her business. The Trailjournals administrators have been notified.

neo
01-22-2006, 12:12
Just talked to Laura.

No, she doesn't have a journal at Trailjournals, and no, these anti-hiker rules will not be enacted. It's all a fraud, done by someone trying to damage her business. The Trailjournals administrators have been notified.

somebody needs thier butt kicked for trying to tarnish her image,she is a real sweetie and her shop is to cool,the creek flowing in the bottom part is really cool:cool: neo

Jack Tarlin
01-22-2006, 12:31
Just had a thought.....if anyone here takes part in another forum (Trailplace, at-l, etc., and if this "Journal" has come up in discussion, spread the word that it's all bull****. Laura and Ron are truly good people and don't deserve this.

Skyline
01-22-2006, 12:46
The Outfitter at HF is a great little store, run by great people. Personally, I could agree with all these rules even if they weren't bogus--each one has some common sense to them EXCEPT that one about letting locals pay first. That was the dead giveaway that something wasn't right here.

attroll
01-22-2006, 13:25
Just talked to Laura.

Thank you for clearing that up Jack.

the goat
01-22-2006, 13:39
ron & laura are the greatest, they put me & a couple other thru-hikers up for a couple of nights, fed us and let us watch football on sunday. truely great people & some of the best magic i've ever gotten. they are genuine people who want nothing but to be able to help hikers. in fact, they are the most hiker-friendly outfitter i've seen on the trail, period!

Almost There
01-22-2006, 14:58
Sent out all of the stuff last night as soon as I got the email back from Laura. Notified Leif and Zipdrive, and started a new thread over on Trailforums, as well as signing the guestbook informing people to ignore the bogus journal. I am glad we got this all straigtened out. Thanks for jumping in folks and setting the record straight.

Sly
01-22-2006, 21:24
Hey, here's one way to tell the Outfitter's journal is bogus. "Hello, this is Laurie with The Outfitter in Harpers Ferry."

I made the same mistake but I'm always mixing up the name Laura with Laurie. :)

neo
01-22-2006, 22:18
Just had a thought.....if anyone here takes part in another forum (Trailplace, at-l, etc., and if this "Journal" has come up in discussion, spread the word that it's all bull****. Laura and Ron are truly good people and don't deserve this.

she also a babe to:cool: neo

Nean
01-22-2006, 22:42
Lauras' real name is Laurie.

neo
01-22-2006, 22:47

my wifes name is laurel:cool: neo

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=6969&catid=member&imageuser=3462

labdad
01-26-2006, 13:27
Hello, this is Laurie with The Outfitter in Harpers Ferry. We wanted to let everyone know this year we have some new rules due to local complaints.
Please take a shower before coming into the store! Locals are complaining about the smell! Also please leave your packs outside due to the rise of thefts.
Also we ask that you let a local ahead of you in line, we appreciate your help! Laurie

I went to Trail Journels to see it.

Mother Nature

Is this post for real??? An outfitter that is complaining about the smell of people who are engaged in an activity that they outfit for??? Thats like complaining about customers who smell of cigar smoke shopping in your cigar shop!

Furthermore do you really expect me to allow locals ahed of me in line? Should I check their ID. Is there anyother criteria for favorable treatment besides being a local? May I suggest that customers are served in turn?

Am I alone here??

MisterSweetie
01-26-2006, 13:45
labdad you should read this thread.

The Solemates
01-26-2006, 14:18

yea evidently jack doesnt know them as well as he portrays...:rolleyes:

didnt you work there jack?

Almost There
01-26-2006, 14:43
It was all bogus as anyone who has read the entire thread knows. I have the email from The Outfitter to prove it! Someone was out to defame them in the hope of depriving them of business!

Jack Tarlin
01-26-2006, 15:04
Solemates:

I knew the journal was fake the minute I saw it.

And incidentally, I frequently preface a comment to the proprietor with something alonng the lines of "Hey, there, Laurie, darlin."

But the answer to your idiotic question is yeah, I know them very damned well, probably better than anyone on this site, which is why I don't like to see them defamed.

Got anything serious to contribute to this thread or are you done?

Nean
01-26-2006, 15:07
yea evidently jack doesnt know them as well as he portrays...:rolleyes:

didnt you work there jack?

Jack and I have both worked and lived there, he knows them quite well. She goes by Laura and Ron is Choreboy:)

Almost There
01-26-2006, 15:08
Jack....calm down man. I know Solemate and he was just joking around! We know that you know them, it was just in reference to the claim of misspelling. I think Springer Fever is adding to the surliness here on WB, I prescribe a minimum of a week out on the trail for everyone!

Disney
01-26-2006, 15:28
Laura and Ron were two of the nicest people I met on the trail. They put me up for two nights and drove me to Trail Days and back for FREE! The only thing they asked was that I help to load and unload the van and pitch in around the shop and in Damascus. Anyone trying to damage their business ought to be hit. They're on a razor thin profit margin anyway.

The Solemates
01-26-2006, 15:30
wow. it doesnt take much to push his buttons does it?

i really wasnt expecting such a rude response back to me, but i guess i'll just take it in stride, unlike him obviously. you're right jack, im an idiot.

AT, i guess he doesnt take a joke very well.

Footslogger
01-26-2006, 15:32
I think Springer Fever is adding to the surliness here on WB, I prescribe a minimum of a week out on the trail for everyone!
==================================
Can you write me an official looking note to that effect for my employer.

'Slogger

Lone Wolf
01-26-2006, 15:34
wow. it doesnt take much to push his buttons does it?

i really wasnt expecting such a rude response back to me, but i guess i'll just take it in stride, unlike him obviously. you're right jack, im an idiot.

AT, i guess he doesnt take a joke very well.
Maybe if he mainlined some Pamprin it might help.:)

The Solemates
01-26-2006, 15:35
==================================
Can you write me an official looking note to that effect for my employer.

'Slogger

me too! me too! :banana

The Solemates
01-26-2006, 15:37
Maybe if he mainlined some Pamprin it might help.:)

wolf, you had me cryin with laughter man..

Almost There
01-26-2006, 16:26
The notes in the mail, but I can't promise your boss will accept it. Wolf I heard somewhere that Pamprin makes your nipples sensitive...is this true? If it is I want some too!:jump

TACKLE
02-08-2006, 17:36
Nothing but good things to say about the store,the owners,and every employee.Seems like slander to me.This thread should be removed.

03-04-2006, 19:36
I purchased a pair of nothinz from them on ebay. IN 30 days I had not received a single email from them, I had emailed them 4 times trying to find out why I had not received my shoes. So finally they just sent my money back. No explaination no email just sent my money back. I gave them neg feedback and they in turn gave me neg feedback and said "as if people never run out of stock" I though it very poor to give me neg feed back I did everything proper. They sold me something they did not have and never explained to me anything and waited 30 days to send my $back. If you do not think this is true just look up ticktock55 feedback on ebay, it is all recorded in black and white.

crutch
03-05-2006, 11:49
I met Ron last year during my stay with Tackle & Leaf Treader in Harper's. He is a stand up guy who truly cares about the hikers....anything else is pure nonsense.
I look forward to stopping by the outfitter on my trip thru this year.

Choreboy
09-25-2006, 09:42
Once again we have never posted regulations, just some BS from someone or company that wants to throw some negatives out there about us.
www.theoutfitteratharpersferry.com

Sly
09-25-2006, 10:04
I gave them neg feedback and they in turn gave me neg feedback and said "as if people never run out of stock" I though it very poor to give me neg feed back I did everything proper.

Well, when you neg on Ebay you can expect to get a neg back. It doesn't make it right but that's the way it is. Since TOHF is also a retail outlet with a toll free number, perhaps it would have been better to pick up the phone.

Almost There
09-25-2006, 10:16
Generally I have found that if you are patient and work with the person on Ebay, they will make the situation right. I only would use a neg as a last resort. If you are saving a boatload of money...then be patient, that's the benefit.

StarLyte
09-25-2006, 10:57
I purchased a pair of nothinz from them on ebay. IN 30 days I had not received a single email from them, I had emailed them 4 times trying to find out why I had not received my shoes. So finally they just sent my money back. No explaination no email just sent my money back. I gave them neg feedback and they in turn gave me neg feedback and said "as if people never run out of stock" I though it very poor to give me neg feed back I did everything proper. They sold me something they did not have and never explained to me anything and waited 30 days to send my $back. If you do not think this is true just look up ticktock55 feedback on ebay, it is all recorded in black and white.

You left them negative feedback.

That was an eBay issue. KEEP IT THERE.

This thread should be removed. THIS IS WRONG.

the goat
09-25-2006, 11:05
i love ron & laura, they're the most hiker-friendly, accomodating outfitter on the entire trail. they rock!:sun

Almost There
09-25-2006, 11:35
I agree the thread served it's purpose. I started it based upon something posted on trailjournals. I wanted to find out the truth not knowing Ron and Laura and so I knew there were those here that did. The truth was exposed I think to their benefit as the post on trailjournals was put there by someone out to besmirch their reputation. Jack and others came to their defense and some of us even made them aware of what was going on very early on...and they responded with nothing but dignity and class.

Moderators if you want to close this to posts...I think it has served it's purpose. It wasn't started so that people could come out and bash them, it was started in an effort to be fair to their reputation....don't need people coming out of the woodwork several months after the event.

A2, sorry you didn't get your stuff, it happens, and it doesn't mean bad service. Sometimes suppliers run out of stock and the store doesn't know...happened with a GD shirt I had ordered. Was it annoying??? heck, yeah, but I got my money back, you want immediate service....go to the store to get it. These people provide good service, but mail order is just that...mail order.

Natchez
09-25-2006, 12:50
I bought a backpack on Ebay from www.theoutfitteratharpersferry.com (http://www.theoutfitteratharpersferry.com/) it was a great deal they went out of there way to help me! Super people thanks for the Zpack I was sent the wrong size but they fixed it up even offering to overnight me a new backpack they are nice people. I would or will order from them again!

Choreboy
11-29-2006, 20:29
Why people have to post any negative comments about anyone on forums is really beyond my ability to understand human nature. It sure doesn't fit the personality of the AT Hikers we have been meeting over the past 10 or so years.

I understand if someone is out there on the trail stealing, hurting, or worse, I always appreciate the heads up on some walking into our store, that fit that description. But to post a lie about someone or someones business so that everyone can read, well thats pretty sick.

Its not real easy making a living at what we do, but having the chance to meet and talk to so many wonderfull folks having fun on The Trail is worth more than the mighty buck. This kinda stuff makes it alot less fun however, My wife Laura was upset for quite awhile, and could not understand why it was not removed from the site immediately.

All in all life goes on, and we will just file this little bit of BS in the next chapter of "As The Trail Turns", now as for JayBird and his shirt, well that was indeed a Tee Shirt, and I am sure we filled his order. If its the same Jay Bird that lives in Springfield TN and you are out there, give us a call, its free (888) 535-2087.

Ron Clark

partinj
12-03-2006, 22:32
Just prove that their are some really mean and low lifes out their i plan on stoping at the place on my thur-hike my friend stop at their place last year and love it hope they don't let this get to them :mad:

trailangelmary
12-04-2006, 01:25
Laura and Chore Boy,
Hi. Well said chore boy. Laura, anyone who takes the time to know and appreciate people on the trail love you. Anyone "important" knows that. And I want to thank both of you for contributing to the fun of the Billville Hiker Feed in July. Although I was too busy to actually stop and spend some time with you I noticed your contribution to the fun. You are both great people and have a great outfitters store. It was nice to see you having fun in July as you helped. I hope to get the opportunity to spend some more time with you in HF.

Brushy Sage
12-06-2006, 19:57
I bought a lot of my gear here for my 2002 hike. At one point I was so pleased, I took Laura's hand, and she actually danced with this crazy old man! Thanks, Laura.