PDA

View Full Version : Double check my (late March) pack list (pretty please)

llittle_llama
01-28-2017, 20:05
Here's what I have so far (be gentle):

CLICK ME!!!!!!!! (https://lighterpack.com/r/909mo5)

Barefoot Friar
01-28-2017, 20:27
I would drop the Nalgene and use either a SmartWater bottle (comes already filled!) or a 32oz. Gatorade or Powerade bottle. Am I seeing two sleeping bags? I'd take the warmer one; you can always drape it over you like a quilt or leave it unzipped to vent -- or maybe you're listing both and are planning to swap them out, which is okay, too.

I'm a hammocker, so I don't know about the tent and mattress weights. Another ground dweller will be along soon I'm sure.

I have that Sea-to-Summit utensil set, and dropped it for a TI spork I got for $12. I keep it as a backup or loaner, because it's not heavy, but this is lighter. My brother carries a plastic spoon from an army MRE, and it's pretty stout for plastic. DQ Frosty spoons are stout, too, and are long handled. All those options are cheap and light.

That's my first impression. Happy trails!

Maineiac64
01-29-2017, 00:06
Link requires registration, might try posting it directly.

Slo-go'en
01-29-2017, 12:59
I assume you will also be bringing along some clothes and some other little odds and ends?

First aid (mostly bister repair)?
Water treatment (filter)?
Pocket knife?
Bear bagging line?
Phone/charger/battery pack?
Camera (if not using phone)?
Guide book?

A 32 oz Nalgene is pretty big and heavy - A couple of plastic soda or water bottles work just as well, lighter and easy to replace.

Dogwood
01-29-2017, 13:10
With that sleep system I may never hike again. I'd just stay toasty in that cocoon, catch squirrels to eat, or camp somewhere near a road that delivers pizza, fried chicken, and Chinese food. If I got WIFI...

llittle_llama
01-29-2017, 16:15
So I'm hearing ditch the higher temp sleeping bag out of the two correct? Between the Nalgene and Smartwater bottles, while I love the size and shape of the SW bottle I prefer the N bottles. No leaching, no chance of it popping if I fall over on it, and even though it does come pre-filled (smartwater is the best tasting water IMHO) that is hardly a selling point lol.

llittle_llama
01-29-2017, 16:26
I assume you will also be bringing along some clothes and some other little odds and ends?

First aid (mostly bister repair)?
Water treatment (filter)?
Pocket knife?
Bear bagging line?
Phone/charger/battery pack?
Camera (if not using phone)?
Guide book?

A 32 oz Nalgene is pretty big and heavy - A couple of plastic soda or water bottles work just as well, lighter and easy to replace.

Clothing: Already purchased, need to get squared away and weighed.

First Aid: I'm still looking for a good list of things to bring and then start the packing.

Water treatment: I have the Sawyer flow thru, but I'm not liking it. I want to go to chlorine tabs but don't know about making the switch.

Pocket knife: I have a small knife (about 5 inches handle included) fixed blade with 550 cord handle (I wrapped with cord from my army unit, not wal-mart crap)

Bear bag line: Wasn't sure if a bear bag was required or not, but I have PLENTY of 550 cord.

Phone/charger/battery: I have an Anker bank, a goal zero nomad, and a goal zero Lighthouse. Not taking everything, I'm just trying to figure out what combination of things/which I want to bring.

Camera: iPhone 7+

Guide book: I am purchasing the Guthook once I hit the trail, but I also own the 2017 AT guide NOBO. I have the PDF AND the print copy so my wife can follow along. Again, not sure what combo/which I'm going to take yet.

mattjv89
01-29-2017, 16:32
A huge +1 to deleting one sleeping bag.

I suggest leaving the tent footprint behind. A quick sweep of your site will clear any rocks or sticks sharp enough to puncture the tent, and I've yet to see a tent floor develop a hole just from general wear and tear.

To me the bigger issue with Nalgene bottles is the weight, at around 4x that of a smarwater bottle. They're just overbuilt for 3 season hiking. Ounces become pounds.

If the utensil set includes more than a spoon you could leave the others behind. In my experience it is wishful thinking for hiker cuisine to require anything more than a spoon to eat.

There are much lighter poo shovels available under 1 ounce. The Qi Wiz series is pretty popular around these parts.

Depending on the size of the pot you could delete the cup and use the pot for food and beverage. My 850ml pot is just the right size that it doesn't feel like drinking out of a bucket.

llittle_llama
01-29-2017, 16:37
Link requires registration, might try posting it directly.

Link removed, better picture uploaded :)

llittle_llama
01-29-2017, 16:46
A huge +1 to deleting one sleeping bag.

It was more of an either or. I wasn't sure which one to bring. I'm assuming I should just sell the other then.

I suggest leaving the tent footprint behind. A quick sweep of your site will clear any rocks or sticks sharp enough to puncture the tent, and I've yet to see a tent floor develop a hole just from general wear and tear.

Good thinking. I would have cleaned up well before dropping the tent anyway to the purpose of the footprint would have been redundant anyway.

To me the bigger issue with Nalgene bottles is the weight, at around 4x that of a smarwater bottle. They're just overbuilt for 3 season hiking. Ounces become pounds.

I totally understand. I really really really do. This is just one of those things I won't give up. Until my house fire last year I have about a dozen of them and used them for different things. I had 4 of the ATC ones I never used that I just liked because the money went to support the trail and all were lost to the fire :( I just really like my bottles after using canteens in the Army so long and won't swap them out.

If the utensil set includes more than a spoon you could leave the others behind. In my experience it is wishful thinking for hiker cuisine to require anything more than a spoon to eat.

The set is a knife, spoon, and fork set. I had no intention of bringing the whole set but the weight on my scale only does 1 ounce increments and did the set as an ounce so I just posted it as the set.

There are much lighter poo shovels available under 1 ounce. The Qi Wiz series is pretty popular around these parts.

Is it really worth the money to cut weight there? Are there better places to cut weight that will cost less?

Depending on the size of the pot you could delete the cup and use the pot for food and beverage. My 850ml pot is just the right size that it doesn't feel like drinking out of a bucket.

I'm fine eating out of my pot, but I'm hiking with my pup and she will be dining with me. The cup will be her food bowl.

Maineiac64
01-29-2017, 17:07
Are there 2 people going? Tent is big/heavy. Your pack is good but heavy, mine squeeked and was annoying. If you have potential to return it, it may be worth considering the lightweight options. Not sure of your stove/fuel plan, 13 oz for fuel is a lot for canister, should be able to do 1 4oz canister and get resupply or 2 if you plan to cook a lot.

llittle_llama
01-29-2017, 17:33
I was a hammock guy prior to this hike and will be using this tent for the first time on this hike. I'm honestly waffling back and forth between my eno double nest and the hammock. It's just me and my 12 pound puppers and that's all it ever will be.

Slo-go'en
01-29-2017, 17:41
Okay, if your going to make a gear list and ask what's missing, you need to list EVERYTHING which will be in the pack and since you'll have a dog, you need to also list all the dog related stuff. And remember, the only dogs which go the distance are the ones which aren't loaded down with a pack and crap. YOU need to carry it all, not the dog.

llittle_llama
01-29-2017, 18:01
Okay, if your going to make a gear list and ask what's missing, you need to list EVERYTHING which will be in the pack and since you'll have a dog, you need to also list all the dog related stuff. And remember, the only dogs which go the distance are the ones which aren't loaded down with a pack and crap. YOU need to carry it all, not the dog.

I wasn't asking really what was missing, but what everyone thought about what I had assembled thus far. I have a lot more but I was both weighing things and dehydrating last night and wanted to start throwing my list up to get feedback.

I also have but not listed or weighed (because I need to find my table scale) my stove, clothes, buffs, hats, (actually weigh and not just read the weight off the bottle) fuel, hammock and accessories, so on.

Tonight I'll be getting the tent out and seeing how well it sleeps and how I like it. I'll spend the night in it with all my junk and probably my youngest 2 puppers just so they can play. I've never actually set up my complete hammock though, I've just used the hammock itself with a sleeping bag so I'll have to try out the whole thing before I decide that too. I was afraid there would be no place to hang it because of the fires so that's why I went tent.

mattjv89
01-29-2017, 19:41
Is it really worth the money to cut weight there? Are there better places to cut weight that will cost less?

That's entirely a personal call. It can be helpful to break it down to cost per ounce. So you would stand to save about 3 ounces by switching from the current trowel at about $10-13 per ounce depending on what size you get. That's on the lower side of what it can cost. That said if the budget is limited I would be more inclined to put everything towards replacing the nearly 4 pound sleeping bag or 5.5 pound tent than shaving ounces here and there.

llittle_llama
01-29-2017, 23:54
Thoughts on this one? I like the idea...

sleeping bag (https://www.rei.com/product/865355/sierra-designs-backcountry-bed-600-2-season-sleeping-bag)

Hikingjim
01-30-2017, 00:18
Thoughts on this one? I like the idea...

https://www.rei.com/product/865355/sierra-designs-backcountry-bed-600-2-season-sleeping-bag

So you haven't bought your sleeping bag yet? If so, I would suggest getting a 20f quilt. It'll work for your start, and save you a lot of weight.
You are really on the heavy side with the tent/pack being heavy, so a couple light pieces like the quilt will help you out when you're loaded with food & water.
No experience with that mat, but seems fine

Definitely no footprint, or at least not that 10 oz one.
I also wouldn't bring the pelican case. Is that for your phone or something? I just put it in a ziplock with soft gear, or in a pocket to be accessible for pictures

llittle_llama
01-30-2017, 00:49
The Pelican case is for my Meds :( REALLY need that thing.

llittle_llama
01-30-2017, 01:08
So you haven't bought your sleeping bag yet? If so, I would suggest getting a 20f quilt. It'll work for your start, and save you a lot of weight.
You are really on the heavy side with the tent/pack being heavy, so a couple light pieces like the quilt will help you out when you're loaded with food & water.
No experience with that mat, but seems fine

Definitely no footprint, or at least not that 10 oz one.
I also wouldn't bring the pelican case. Is that for your phone or something? I just put it in a ziplock with soft gear, or in a pocket to be accessible for pictures

No, I have 2 sleeping bags right now. One I just bought from REI at the garage sale that I really liked and the other I bought a few years back. Tent/footpad I bought at the GS as well so I am "stuck" with those as well. I can get a different sleeping bag, but replacing the tent will be a bit harder to convince the wife to let me do.

JC13
01-30-2017, 10:13
Poo shovel, .6oz $20

https://smile.amazon.com/Tentlab-Duece-Spades-Trowel-Assorted/dp/B00UTK5HJ0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485785510&sr=8-1&keywords=deuce+of+spades

llittle_llama
01-30-2017, 10:36
Poo shovel, .6oz $20

https://smile.amazon.com/Tentlab-Duece-Spades-Trowel-Assorted/dp/B00UTK5HJ0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485785510&sr=8-1&keywords=deuce+of+spades
You know I looked at that and I thought that the aluminum wouldn't hold up. I REALLY like that shovel too! Has anyone used one of those? I know we're not digging for gold or making 6 foot deep holes but I was just worried I would get 100 miles down the trail and have an inch worn down from the tip of the thing.

JC13
01-30-2017, 10:54
You know I looked at that and I thought that the aluminum wouldn't hold up. I REALLY like that shovel too! Has anyone used one of those? I know we're not digging for gold or making 6 foot deep holes but I was just worried I would get 100 miles down the trail and have an inch worn down from the tip of the thing.I have only used mine once in the Smokies, no privy at Davenport Gap Shelter. First hundred miles you will pass a lot of privies! But on a serious note, I only have that one use so I can't tell you how durable it is long term.

llittle_llama
01-30-2017, 11:10
Well I am REALLY liking that sleeping bag I linked to earlier. That thing saves me 2+ pounds, plus I like the way it sleeps. I'm just waiting for someone to chime in with a "Yeah it's great" or a "DON'T DO IT!!!" before I take the plunge :D

llittle_llama
01-30-2017, 14:27
Ok, new link posted in the first post! Much better weight system :)

JC13
01-30-2017, 16:51
Your big 3/4 are still just shy of 14 lbs. I understand money being an issue but you realistically want to get close to 6 lbs for your overall comfort. With food and water you may easily be in the 40-50 lb range. The caveat could be that the pack handles that well and is comfortable with that much weight. We hiked with a couple that were carrying 70 lb expedition packs to prep for a Rainier summit and they had no issues. Hard to say without loading it up with sandbags or something and going hiking all day.

Tent can definitely see improvement at the least. Check the other thread as I linked you a $180 30 oz option.

Just some things to consider.

Maineiac64
01-30-2017, 17:46
There is a nice 30 quilt on enlighted equipment warehouse right now discounted to $240, just over 1lb. 1.5lbs savings for $100, people are paying $60 to get an ounce somtimes in a sleeping bag.

CarlZ993
01-30-2017, 21:54
What you have listed is decent gear, just heavy. Really heavy for a solo hiker. Or sorta solo hiker since you've going with a dog. Remember, weight is your enemy on the trail. Look for the lightest option that will serve its function. You can decide later if you want to upgrade a particular item & go heavier. I'll go through you list & insert a quick recommendation as well as other options.
* Trowel - listed @ 3.5 oz; use 0.6 oz trowel (titanium); save 2.9 oz
* Pack - listed @ ~4.5 lbs; easily pick a pack (e.g. ULA Circuit) around 2.5 lbs; save 2 lbs
* Pelican case for meds @ 6 oz; ziplock for 0.5 oz (unless a hard case is needed for a specific reason); save 5.5 oz (is there a medical reason for the hard case? If not, ziplock it)
* Pack cover - listed @ 4 oz; you could easily get a lighter pack cover & add a trash compactor bag; same weight but better waterproofing
* BD Storm Headlight - listed @ 4 oz; switch to BD Ion @ 1.9 oz (2 double-A batteries); save 2.1 oz; typically, night hiking is seldom done; just some late night potty runs
* Nalgene bottle (48 oz) @ 7 oz; switch to 2, 1-L Ozarka water bottles (or similar) @ 0.7 oz each, 1.4 oz total; save 5.6 oz (water weighs 2.2 lbs per liter; the only variable is the weight of the container)
* Sea to Summit Cookset @ 9.5 oz (pot & cup); switch to 0.9L Evernew Titanium pot (5.1 oz) & same cup (Sea to Summit X-Mug @ 2.2 oz) for a total of 7.3 oz; save 2.2 oz
* Fuel canister base @ 1 oz; ditch it; save 1 oz; your rig isn't that tippy
* Utensil kit @ 1 oz; carry just a spoon save 0.6 oz
* MSR Micro Rocket weight isn't listed; probably around 4 oz w/ case; swap it out for a Soto Windmaster for 2.8 oz; save 1.2 oz
* MSR fuel canister @ 13.1 oz; no change unless you want a smaller fuel canister that costs more per oz of fuel
* Sleeping pad @ 19.5 oz; swap to NeoAir Xlite @ 13.5 oz; save 6 oz
* Sleeping bag @ 42 oz; carry 20 deg quilt @ 19.5 oz; save 22.5 oz
* Half Dome tent @ 87.5 oz; switch to Big Agnes Fly Creek UL-2 @ 41.6 oz; save 45.9 oz (other lighter options available if you want to spend big bucks)
TOTAL SAVINGS: 127.5 oz or 7.97 lbs

If you lighten your pack now, your joints will thank you later. Remember, each item you carry must be justified. Do you really need that item? Is there a lighter option? Is it a 'I always carry this' item? Don't automatically defend your original equipment choice. Look at it objectively & critically.

Good luck in your gear selection process.

llittle_llama
01-30-2017, 22:20
Just snagged a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 from the FS section! I just need stakes for it and a small patch kit and I'm good on that front!!!

Engine
01-31-2017, 06:25
Ditch the Nalgene...I did read that you don't want to, but carrying a half-pound which serves zero functional purpose over it's alternative is self-defeating. Especially when weight is one of the greatest obstacles for a successful thru-hike. By doing this, you are helping yourself to take the big step mentally to recognizing needs versus wants and what ifs. That's what is going to lighten your load and simplify your life on the trail. Like CarlZ993 said above, look critically at what's in your pack and be able to justify why it's there.

As mentioned, the weight of your big 4 is excessive. I also know how hard it is to spend money that isn't really available, but I would seriously look at a 20* quilt as mentioned. Pricey, but super light and as long as you buy it WIDE ENOUGH, it's going to provide more than enough warmth at a weight much lower than a comparable bag. Take a look at Tarptents...great bang for the buck!

JC13
01-31-2017, 09:27
Another variable I keep forgetting is the dog. How much food and other dog stuff are you carrying? I believe you mentioned putting the dog in the top of your pack as well if it gets tired, the heavyweight pack you have may be of benefit here. So realistically, even if he gets all of his gear weight down, he still has to account for the dogs food at a minimum and the ability to carry the dog if I did recall that correctly. 30 lb max comfort UL/lightweight packs aren't going to cut it most likely.

memphistiger02
01-31-2017, 10:39
What about using a tent stake as a shovel, dual purpose. And I am talking about a beefy tent stake.

FreeGoldRush
01-31-2017, 10:49
Water treatment: I have the Sawyer flow thru, but I'm not liking it. I want to go to chlorine tabs but don't know about making the switch.

You will get different opinions on this, but the chemicals that kill bacteria in your water also kill bacteria in your gut. You need a proper bacterial and fungal balance in your gut. I realize that chlorine breaks down fairly fast when left in sunlight and exposed to air, but filtering water will ensure that you are not adding chemicals to your stomach.

FreeGoldRush
01-31-2017, 11:11
I was a hammock guy prior to this hike and will be using this tent for the first time on this hike. I'm honestly waffling back and forth between my eno double nest and the hammock. It's just me and my 12 pound puppers and that's all it ever will be.

Curious why you are prepared to hammock but are opting for a tent. What's the reason?

llittle_llama
01-31-2017, 12:13
Curious why you are prepared to hammock but are opting for a tent. What's the reason?

I was worried about how well I would be able to hang the hammock after the fires we had last year. Also after weighing everything I'm at 4 pounds with my ENO setup with the UL straps. The only thing I can do is swap to the UL hammock but that's not an option when sleeping with my pup.

llittle_llama
01-31-2017, 12:15
Ditch the Nalgene...I did read that you don't want to, but carrying a half-pound which serves zero functional purpose over it's alternative is self-defeating. Especially when weight is one of the greatest obstacles for a successful thru-hike. By doing this, you are helping yourself to take the big step mentally to recognizing needs versus wants and what ifs. That's what is going to lighten your load and simplify your life on the trail. Like CarlZ993 said above, look critically at what's in your pack and be able to justify why it's there.

Consider it ditched. I really hate to do it but you're right. You're ALL​ right. Nalgenes are gone. I can keep them for day hikes :)

llittle_llama
01-31-2017, 12:21
Ok, this is my weight at this moment: 16 pounds 15 ounces

I have the BA Fly Creek UL1 coming to swap out for my tent so that will drop some weight.

Nalgene(s) are gone.

Poo shovel has been revisited (updates in a little bit).

llittle_llama
01-31-2017, 12:22
You will get different opinions on this, but the chemicals that kill bacteria in your water also kill bacteria in your gut. You need a proper bacterial and fungal balance in your gut. I realize that chlorine breaks down fairly fast when left in sunlight and exposed to air, but filtering water will ensure that you are not adding chemicals to your stomach.

I didn't realize this. That makes it a NO-GO for me. I have issues with my acids as it is so I would rather not use the AT as a testing ground for new things ;) Sticking with the Sawyer!

memphistiger02
01-31-2017, 12:33
I would recommend getting a new bag for the sawyer like an evernew bag. https://www.traildesigns.com/accessories/water-carriers they fit well on the sawyer and are super strong.

Engine
01-31-2017, 13:35
I didn't realize this. That makes it a NO-GO for me. I have issues with my acids as it is so I would rather not use the AT as a testing ground for new things ;) Sticking with the Sawyer! You can turn a Sawyer Squeeze into a gravity filter super easy! You will need either a Platypus or an Evernew water bladder, a Sawyer Products SP150 coupling, a couple feet of micro-shock cord, and a Smartwater bottle.

Both the Platypus and the Evernew bladders have spots on the bottom where you can use a hole punch to make a couple holes for hanging without getting near the bladder itself. Punch two holes and thread some micro-shock cord through the holes, tying it into a loop for hanging the bladder. With the Sawyer coupling on the filter and the other end of the coupling attached to the Smartwater bottle, attach the filter to the bladder and hang it from the bottom, let gravity do it's thing and you have a full 1 liter bottle in 3-4 minutes...no squeezing. Don't tighten the Smartwater bottle too tight, leave the threads a hair loose for air to get through, it really improves the flow rate.

Here's a photo of my setup.

Here a link to the coupling which is designed to allow you to back flush the filter WITHOUT the syringe. You simply squeeze the Smartwater bottle and it back flushes the filter.

https://sawyer.com/products/sawyer-cleaning-coupling/

llittle_llama
01-31-2017, 14:22
Are Crampons something I should be considering? I've hiked here in VA. when it was icy and wished I had owned a set a handful of times but don't know if it's something I should be getting for the hike.

Hikingjim
01-31-2017, 15:27
Are Crampons something I should be considering? I've hiked here in VA. when it was icy and wished I had owned a set a handful of times but don't know if it's something I should be getting for the hike.

Not crampons. Microspikes are good, but I wouldn't take them with a late march start unless I knew that right when I was starting there was going to be serious ice
https://www.rei.com/product/890608/kahtoola-microspikes-traction-system

llittle_llama
01-31-2017, 15:31
So skip spikes too then (unless ice is an issue when I leave for GA)? Good, I can use some good news about saving money!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ironbelly
01-31-2017, 19:05
I skimmed through the other posts real quick, but is there a reason for the pelican case for the meds? I understand you have to have your meds, but do you have to have a pelican case? Lightest option would be a ziplock. 2nd would be a pill bottle. 3rd would be one of those daily pill box kinda things. All way lighter than the pelican. If you need a hard case you can get a fly box and remove the divider. I just weighed my dicks sporting goods fly box which is about the size of the pelican and it weighs 2.8oz.

llittle_llama
02-01-2017, 02:05
The reason for the Pelican is it's waterproof and holds a decent amount. I (sadly) take a lot of meds and will be using all of the space it offers. I can't take a chance of any of them getting crushed in a ziplock or having moisture getting to them. If I can find another option that's as good as this one I'll swap it out but this is one thing that 100% has to be perfect.

RabbitHole
02-01-2017, 10:44
Micro spikes are a maybe depends how early you go. I'm going the 21st, not going to bring mine not worth the pound.

RabbitHole
02-01-2017, 10:48
Also ziplock plastic bags are durable and waterproof put your pills in there save yourself half a pound

hyperslug
02-01-2017, 11:14
Just my many thoughts:

Poo Shovel: As otherhave stated, ditch it for a lighter weight one. The REI snow stakecosts $3 and weighs about 1 oz.

Pack: Need muchlighter weight. Sell that one and I would suggest ULA Circuit or Ohm,or maybe Granite Gear Vancouver 60.

Pelican Case: Assomeone stated, that fly box with divider removed would probablywork, or leave some of the divider in to make it more crush proof.

Osprey Pack Cover:Sell it with the pack and go without. No pack cover keeps the packtotally dry unless is goes over your head. Maybe line your pack witha trash compacter bag, about 2.4 oz.

Black Diamond Spot:Solid headlamp, If you want to to stay with a traditional 3 AAAheadlamp might consider Petzl Zipka at 2.4 oz. The REI exclusiveversion has 200 lumens. BTW, my Spot weighs 3.2 oz with batteries.

Nalgene: Glad youdropped it.

Tent: Sell it andpick up an 8.5’ x 10’ silnylon tarp. With a little practice,drier, better views, much bigger, cheaper, and lighter weight thanany tent. Use a cheap light polycryo ground cloth and add bug net ifand when bugs get bad. Oh I noticed you bought the Fly Creek so....
s
Knife: Check out theGerber LST .6 oz. Use it for food, cord, and the little bit ofcutting you have to do. If you will be wresting bears or buildingforts, then it won’t work. :)

Water Filter: I am achlorine dioxide user but if you prefer a filter than the SawyerSqueeze is the go to along with Evernew bladders. Keep in mind theweight of the filter is not the wet weight which is the actual weight youwill be carrying.

Bear Bagging Line:Check out Lawson Equipment Ultraglide or similar.

Guide Book: AWOL’sguide cut into thirds. Weighs about 3 oz with ziplock it comes with.

Phone Charger: Checkout Anker13000 mAh charger on Amazon. Weighs over 8 oz but about thesame weight at their 10000 version. Or use older phone withreplaceable batteries and save a lot of weight. My LG G4 costs about$170 on Swappa.

Camera: Use phone.

First Aid Kit: A fewband aids, some Leukotape or KT tape for blisters, a few ibuprofen,maybe anti diarrhea pills, tiny bit of antibiotic cream. Resupply asneeded.

Sleeping Pad: If youcan swing the cost of a Therm-A-Rest NeoAir Xlight you will get themost comfort for weight. If not, a cheap closed cell foam pad.

Kitchen: Cheap IMUSAcook pot with lexan or bamboo spoon. Use an old margarine container,or similar for dog bowl: > 1 oz. Stove is fine.

Sleeping Bags: Lotsof sleeping bags clearance right now. You can find a 750+ fill power20-30 degree bag for $250 or less at about 32 oz.

Tipi Walter
02-01-2017, 13:22
Everyone has a gear list but I'm not a fan of posting a gear list and asking opinions. Instead I would take what you have right now and start pulling weekend trips before your Big Trip and see how stuff works.

Remember, guys have hiked the AT with blankets and sneakers and tube tents and can openers for their Dinty Moore beef stew cans---and jungle boots and army poncho liners and blue jeans. Heck I pulled many backpacking trips using my old USAF duffel bag carrying all my gear and slung over one shoulder.

Start sleeping in the backyard every night and tweak your gear. Go on weekend backpacking trips. If it works, great. If not, scrounge up other stuff.

People will endlessly parse your gear ad nauseam and yet way below gear is the personal motivation level to get outside. If it's high and nothing will keep you indoors, then a wool blanket and a tarp will work.

Hosh
02-01-2017, 14:45
First Aid kits, IMO, are mostly for blisters, burns, minor cuts, head/body aches, diarrhea, and allergies/bug stings. I also carry a QuikClot and butterfly bandages for major trauma.

llittle_llama
02-03-2017, 02:39
FYI, I'm down to 13 pounds 15 ounces now!!!!!

llittle_llama
02-03-2017, 17:01
So shopping for a sleeping bag now. Trying to find something for side sleepers and not really sure what I'm looking at to be honest :( Everything looks the same and I have no idea what I'm doing. The Sierra bag I liked earlier won't work for me. I read up on it a little more and it's just not right for the way I sleep. I'm 69.6 inches tall (Army measures in inches) and 250 lbs ATM. When I'm in shape I sit around 190-200 so I'm not exactly a small guy.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me figure out what I need as far as the sleeping bag :(

jimmyjam
02-03-2017, 19:33
So shopping for a sleeping bag now. Trying to find something for side sleepers and not really sure what I'm looking at to be honest :( Everything looks the same and I have no idea what I'm doing. The Sierra bag I liked earlier won't work for me. I read up on it a little more and it's just not right for the way I sleep. I'm 69.6 inches tall (Army measures in inches) and 250 lbs ATM. When I'm in shape I sit around 190-200 so I'm not exactly a small guy.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me figure out what I need as far as the sleeping bag :(

I'm a quilt guy. I'm a side sleeper mostly and toss and turn some. The Enlightened Equipment quilt works for me. Footbox has a zipper, snaps above that and elastic straps with clip to clip it to your pad to eliminate drafts. Sounds like a wide would work good foe you. Email Tim at EE he's very responsive to questions.

Oventoasted
02-03-2017, 19:40
Enlightened Equipment stuff is great but if you do a "made to order" order like i have twice it can take awhile i wait 5 weeks for one and 6 for another.

Maineiac64
02-03-2017, 19:44
From all the research I've done and reading reviews, watching videos, and looking at gear lists there seems to be a ton of love for Enlightened Equipment quilts. I just ordered a 30 degree wide revelation to use with my current bag when its really cold and it should be good otherwise for my regular use. This will drop my weight by over a pound and will be lighter than my current 0 degree bag when using with my current sierra designs bag.

They have a warehouse page that is updated every monday at 2ET with bags that you can buy immediately otherwise it is a 3-5 week wait. I am not sure what you would need, maybe a 20?

Oventoasted
02-03-2017, 20:04
i bought a 20F Engima and 20F Revolt. tested them out in 15F night with a maybe 25kt winds all night. was toasty warm with no clothes on till probably about day break when my toes started feeling a bit cold. just put on some socks and slept another hour.

llittle_llama
02-04-2017, 12:42
Been reading a lot and starting to like this bag. (https://www.rei.com/product/108112/nemo-nocturne-30-down-sleeping-bag)

boshettee
02-04-2017, 13:25
I had this same bag but eventually got rid of it. Shoulder width wasn't adequate; couldn't zip it up. Ultimately settled on Nemo Strato Loft bag. Much heavier but plenty of room. Also have EE quilt but drafts bothered me too much.

Dogwood
02-04-2017, 13:51
The reason for the Pelican is it's waterproof and holds a decent amount. I (sadly) take a lot of meds and will be using all of the space it offers. I can't take a chance of any of them getting crushed in a ziplock or having moisture getting to them. If I can find another option that's as good as this one I'll swap it out but this is one thing that 100% has to be perfect.

I don't know of anyone that takes as many supplements on trail as I do. I get often get around carrying larger than immediately(5-6 days or so) needed amounts by resupply more often mailing resupply boxes that contain them. None of these are prescription drugs though like stimulants(adderall), sedatives, depressants(benzodiazepines like valium or methaquolone, xanax), or other controlled narcotics/opioids/opiates(percocet, oxycodone, oxycontin, fentanyl), etc illicitly sold on the streets. I think, although I've never had the need, you can inquire from you drug provider to give you scripts which include directions that demonstrate your legal ability to carry such meds outside of their original packaging based on not being able to carry so many in bottles, etc. It saves a lot on bulk!