PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof sacks -- question.

Elaikases
01-29-2017, 09:58
I've been looking at them and it is pretty bewildering in that the prices seem all over the place without what seems to be any rhyme or reason.

Or is that exactly what is going on?

bigcranky
01-29-2017, 10:15
Yeah, lots of choices and you don't know if it's actually waterproof until your down bag is soaking wet. (Ask me how I know this!! :) )

I've tried a lot of different "waterproof" stuff sacks, from S2S, Black Diamond, Zpacks, OR, and others. The only one that I have found that actually works is the roll-top cuben sack from Zpacks. It has taped seams and a truly waterproof fabric. I can put a soaking wet tent in one of the sacks, then put it inside my pack, and none of the water gets out of the sack -- unlike all the others I tried.

Yes, they are very expensive.

ScareBear
01-29-2017, 11:58
I've found that both STS and OR are reasonable choices for dry bags. My STS are 4 years old now and don't leak.

Ethesis
01-29-2017, 16:45
Why not just zip lock baggies and trash sacks?

Rmcpeak
01-29-2017, 16:48
Why not just zip lock baggies and trash sacks?

In my experience, zip locks are useless. They wear out/tear very quickly. Trash bags can be good, but only the heavier "contractor" variety or trash compactor bags. Lightweight bags get holes in them too quickly.

I like using smaller CF bags because it helps with gear access/organization and just keeps my kit tidier in general.

Rmcpeak
01-29-2017, 16:50
I can put a soaking wet tent in one of the sacks, then put it inside my pack, and none of the water gets out of the sack

This is a good point. Often we are trying to keep wet gear isolated from other stuff in our pack until we can dry it out.

ScareBear
01-29-2017, 16:55
Don't leave a damp tent in a Cuben sack for too long, unless it is a Cuben tent. Two words...mold...mildew...

You wouldn't believe how quickly mold will develop on a damp BA UL fly...

Ethesis
01-29-2017, 16:56
In my experience, zip locks are useless. They wear out/tear very quickly. Trash bags can be good, but only the heavier "contractor" variety or trash compactor bags. Lightweight bags get holes in them too quickly.

I like using smaller CF bags because it helps with gear access/organization and just keeps my kit tidier in general.

Thanks. I've only section hiked, so things haven't had time for wearing out to matter.

It it makes sense that longer time frames change things.

Ill adjust my thinking.

lwhikerchris
01-29-2017, 17:09

The humble zip lock is one of the best pieces of gear out there.

Rmcpeak
01-29-2017, 17:25
The humble zip lock is one of the best pieces of gear out there.

I'm probably to hard on them. I expect too much.

Wyoming
01-29-2017, 19:52
My primary for large items is the trash sack and I avoid the compactor bags as they are very heavy in comparison. I change them out as needed. Two waterproof layers for the sleeping bag. 1 to 2 for the tent. All clothes are 2 layers.

Small items is ziplocks. I try and only buy the ones with the slides and not the press together seams as they last a lot longer. Critical items are at least double bagged. All food is split up into a variety of zip locks and in a cuben fiber food bag.

I also have a selection of about 3-4 cuben fiber bags which seem to work pretty well. And are used mostly for electronics. But cuben fiber is fragile and it is easy to get holes in it so you must be gentle with them. I had not used my cuben fiber tent for more than a couple of weeks before it had some small stress splits from high winds.

Turk6177
01-29-2017, 22:52
I put all of my dry stuff in my inner liner garbage bag and then put the wet stuff on either the top or bottom depending on the weather. If it will be nice, I keep it on the top for easy access to lay them out to dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk