PDA

View Full Version : Umbrella?

blw2
01-29-2017, 18:15
I know there are a lot of folks that are not a fan..... but I've gotta say I like the idea of an umbrella over very much rain ware, more airy and comfortable. Never hiked much with them though, but I figure on a well established trail I'd like it....
So I'm curious for those of you that do....
mont bell
http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=1405&p_id=1128551
the one like z-packs sell?
http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/umbrella.shtml
or something else?

jjozgrunt
01-29-2017, 18:52
I use the hands free one from Euroschirm. http://www.euroschirm.com/schirm/Swing_handsfree/index.cgi?session=7tqCymJObLhPi&sprache_land=usa

ADVStrom14
01-29-2017, 19:29
I use the hands free one from Euroschirm. http://www.euroschirm.com/schirm/Swing_handsfree/index.cgi?session=7tqCymJObLhPi&sprache_land=usa
I have been looking at these. I am not a huge fan of umbrellas even in every day life but I can see where it could be a good thing on the trail. This one works good?

Jes

Wyoming
01-29-2017, 19:42
There are good and bad points about an umbrella. If you are on the AT and just want it to deal with rain you have to keep in mind that a lot of the storms you end up in along the AT have high gusty winds and rain which is not falling straight down. In those types of storms the umbrella will not be really useful. But, in general, on the AT once you are out of the chilly days it does not matter if it rains on you as it washes the salt off and it is pretty warm. I seldom used my rain jacket on the AT. I just let it rain on me.

On a trail like the PCT or AZT having an umbrella is most useful to keep the sun off of you. And they really make a difference when it is really hot. They are of significant benefit then. But winds can also be an issue and I saw quite a few broken umbrellas and sometimes you just have to put them away. They could also be useful in Washington if you hit the drizzly rains. A misconception many have (due to companies marketing hiking umbrellas) is that the sliver reflective ones are cooler than any old umbrella. I read an article where someone measured the temperatures under both kinds while walking and it makes no difference. This seems to be because you are moving and constantly moving into heated air so the reflectiveness has no effect. If you are are not moving apparently there is some benefit.

Umbrellas are added weight of course. The big silver one I started the PCT with weighed about a lb (I gave it away at Kennedy Meadows). I saw some others which were about 1/2 lb but they were relatively flimsy too. Next time I would go with the 1/2 lb version.

map man
01-29-2017, 20:31
I have used that Montbell umbrella you link to on my last two section hikes of the AT (covering Springer Mountain to Hot Springs), with both section hikes being in the month of May. I got rained on some on both trips (sometimes a cold rain and sometimes warmer) and I was very happy with the performance of my rain management system on those trips. Instead of a rain jacket and rain pants I used umbrella (5 ounces), wind shirt (5 ounces) and wind pants (3 ounces). I don't wear the wind pants in the rain -- I wear them in camp and in my bag if my nylon hiking pants have gotten too wet in the rain.

Previously, in any significant rain my rain jacket (made of e-vent) and rain pants always wetted out and became pretty useless, so I figured why carry them? If the wind is so bad that the umbrella can't be used (and in my experience under tree cover the umbrella usually works fine) having a soaked-through wind shirt is no worse than having a soaked-through rain jacket.

By the way, I don't use trekking poles so I always have either hand free to hold an umbrella -- I switch back and forth as one arm gets tired after a while.

Maui Rhino
01-29-2017, 23:19
I have the Zpacks umbrella you linked to. I've been carrying it for about a year now, and have been quite happy. I use a couple Nite-Ize twist ties to attach it to my pack strap for hands-free hiking. As someone else said, it works great for shade...I probably use it more for shade than rain. When it does rain, the umbrella helps keep my older jacket from wetting out at the shoulders. At camp, I often use it as a windbreak under my tarp. As mentioned before, be ready to put it away in strong winds. I also like the diameter of the umbrella. It still requires some care on narrow trails, but it gives decent coverage in a smaller package than a golf umbrella my friend uses.

Miner
01-30-2017, 00:28
An Umbrella can work great for rain (check out Wired's blog (http://walkingwithwired.com/2014/10/appalachian-trail-gear-review.html) as she hiked with one on the AT) and even better for harsh sun (as it really is cooler under it), but not so great in high winds. But you'd be surprised at just how often you can make it work. You still should carry a rain jacket anyway for those times it won't work or if something happens to it. Most people try to fashion a way of attaching it to the pack straps so they don't need to carry it in their hands unless the winds are strong. It also works great to take a break under when it's raining when there is no natural shelter available. As a tarp user, it can help block the rain for the open end.

I own 2 Montbell umbrellas. The slightly heavier one than you linked to, Treking Umbrella (not the UL one as it didn't exist then) at 5.3oz and their silver colored sun block one for harsh sun at 6.3oz. The UL version saves weight by having a smaller diamater over then normal Trekking One. The sunblock version has an even larger diameter which is why its heavier for better shade. The Montbell umbrellas need you to snap the arms into place before opening (which is why they are smaller folded and weigh less). Most people just leave the arms snaped in place and don't put it back into the original sleeve so that it's easy to open. Doesn't seem as durable as the Chrome Dome, but it seems to hold up just fine. I sometimes carry my blue Trekking Umbrella for low wind without a lot of brush, and think it works well in the rain. I don't always carry it as some of the trails I hike are overgrown which doesn't work with an umbrella. I recently bought their Sun Block umbrella to replace my Chrome Dome since it's lighter with an eye for a CDT hike (in fact I bought it off the CDTC's website and it has the CDT logo). The handle is small and not comfortable to carry for long periods of time. But if you can mount it to your pack strap, I guess that doesn't mater.

I also own the old Golite Chrome Dome that several cottage companies now sell under the original makers name, Liteflex which weights 8oz. The Liteflex umbrella has a slightly larger handle (still not long enough for long term comfort but better than Montbells) and the arms are fixed in place. Umbrella surprisingly holds up to winds without breaking, even if it does get inverted, it just snaps back into place without any damage. I think its a better umbrella than the Montbell for durability, slighty longer handle, and wider diameter than any of the Montbells, but it's heavier and doesn't pack as small. There is always a trade off.

rhjanes
01-30-2017, 12:17
I just watched Jester's video on the PCT. Most of them have umbrella's, the silver one. In heavy use in California, for Sun protection.

One way to attach it, is to get two Camelbak clips. Those go on your packs shoulder straps, then the umbrella shaft clips into them.

Bonzo
09-30-2017, 22:52
Anyone have an opinion on montbell TREKKING UMBRELLA at Opened diameter: 38.6 in vs U.L. TREKKING UMBRELLA Opened diameter: 34.6 in (88cm) in regards to coverage vs weight savings? Thanks!!

MuddyWaters
09-30-2017, 23:02
I have a montbell ul. And a chrome dome.

I dont consider it a replacement for raingear, but a luxury.
Hiking in rain, without hood over head, is much nicer

Bonzo
10-01-2017, 11:08
I have a montbell ul. And a chrome dome.

I dont consider it a replacement for raingear, but a luxury.
Hiking in rain, without hood over head, is much nicer

So, I'm assuming you have the U.L. TREKKING UMBRELLA Opened diameter: 34.6 in. Do you find it gives you enough coverage compared to the larger diameter umbrella?

MuddyWaters
10-01-2017, 11:24
So, I'm assuming you have the U.L. TREKKING UMBRELLA Opened diameter: 34.6 in. Do you find it gives you enough coverage compared to the larger diameter umbrella?
Its enough
I use it hands free
Unless i hold arm in close on side of body away from umbrella shaft it can get wet. That will soak thru windshirts, etc. Even cause condensation in that sleeve arm by making it cold. So i usually not actively use poles
In rain with the ul due to that. I dont find the folding supports a big deal , small and light.

I like the chrome done better honestly, its simpler, more useful, jyst heavier

Heliotrope
10-01-2017, 15:08
I am still using an original Golite umbrella. When I head back out west I'll pick up a chrome dome.

I like being able to quickly access the umbrella for sudden passing squalls. Also use it to close off the head end of my A frame tarp, for midnight trips to the bushes, and to shelter my stove.

If I'm out fir a few days with a sunny forecast I'll leave it home. Otherwise it always goes with me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bonzo
10-01-2017, 22:46
Very helpful. Thanks.

Bonzo
10-02-2017, 09:16
Anyone have an opinion on montbell TREKKING UMBRELLA at Opened diameter: 38.6 in vs U.L. TREKKING UMBRELLA Opened diameter: 34.6 in (88cm) in regards to coverage vs weight savings? Thanks!!

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

JJ505
10-02-2017, 15:55
Would be nice for desert hiking where I am (New Mexico). I don't think it would be enough to protect from the sun but it would be a start. I just don't hike in the desert in the summer.

jjozgrunt
10-02-2017, 18:28
I use the one I posted about in Australia and on the AT earlier in the year. Great for sunshine especially here as we have the highest incidence of skin cancer in the world. Great in the rain, got a number of very envious looks on the AT. In the rain as you can use cameras, phones, maps, guides etc without getting them wet
You can sit down on a log and make a brew, in the rain and the stove between the legs keeps you warm.
Don't need the hood up, I hate walking when I can't hear anything.
You can open up the pit zips and front zip, if you wear a raincoat, to keep cool.
Put it over the pack when setting up in the rain.
Getting to the privy in the rain and back to the tent.
With the euroschirm it's big 44+".
Can't use if really windy or in a storm or usually off track.

Deadeye
10-02-2017, 23:46
I've used an umbrella for years, it's part of my standard kit. Within reason, the bigger the better, but the AT and LT maintenance specs are for a 4 foot wide trail, and plenty of times it's narrower than that - I don't think I'd go much bigger than 40". I've had no problem with the Golite umbrella - I have the big Euroschirm but haven't tried it. If I find it's not too big, I'll use it.

It helps that I'm a one-stick guy most of the time, so I can just carry the umbrella in my free hand. The trick is to hold it loosely so it can roll with the punches and go around trees and obstacles rather than fight with them.