PDA

View Full Version : Photographers?

lilgodwin
01-29-2017, 22:46
Forewarning those who might be easily irritated... Photographers for "looking at point-and-shoot cameras", and hikers for "bringing a camera", period. Lol

I'm certainly not packing light, but I'm making a compromise in many of my gear choices. So my pack won't be the heaviest.

I'm wanting to bring a point-and-shoot camera with me that's capable of capturing some fairly good nighttime shots. Stars, naturally, and maybe even a galaxy shot in a nearly perfect circumstance.

My research led me to a site that compared 5 good ones, but they're looking like $600+. Anyone know of any decent options for closer to $300.

And yes, I have a tripod [emoji1]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Venchka
01-29-2017, 23:34
Used versions of the $600 cameras at KEH. Forget eBay.
What are the $600 cameras? I've got my eye on a Lumix LX10. I'm downsizing from Canon slr gear.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rafe
01-29-2017, 23:55
I'd recommend the Sony RX-100, with mild reservations. Mine is the original (first introduced about 4 years ago) and has had issues with water resistance (or lack thereof.)

In all other regards, it is awesome. Very compact, and image quality is amazing.

imscotty
01-30-2017, 00:01
Like Rafe I recommend the Sony RX-100. I bought the IV, but if I were to do it again I would save myself some money and get one of the earlier models. I added a glue-on filter adapter so that I could add a polarizing filter. That and a GorillaPod made for a good set up for me.

Venchka
01-30-2017, 00:02
What are the $600 cameras? I've got my eye on a Lumix LX10. I'm downsizing from Canon slr gear.
Wayne

Correction. I left off a zero
LUMIX LX100
http://shop.panasonic.com/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/lumix-point-and-shoot-cameras/DMC-LX100S.html
And I have 4 tripods.
Wayne

Miner
01-30-2017, 00:12
I normally carry a good camera for a long distance hike since having good photos is worth a lot to me a years after I finish as I do look at them from time to time. Having a good camera was the main reason I worked to get my pack baseweight under 10lbs. I carried a Panasonic micro 4/3's camera on the AT with 2 lenses. I currently carry a Sony A6300 with 2-3 lenses.

If I was going to leave it behind for a point and shoot, I'd also go with a Sony RX-100 as it has pretty good low lighting capability for the camera type and is capable of shooting the Milkyway (http://www.lonelyspeck.com/sony-rx100-series-astrophotography-review/). Of course it costs more than you want, but quality costs.

Rather then just telling us a price, you should also talk about what you want in a camera as various features can be contradictory so what matters most to you? Do you care about shooting RAW? How much zoom do you want? Fastest Apperature desired? Max Camera weight?

Feral Bill
01-30-2017, 01:13
If you are not a megapixel maniac, you can get a used advanced point and shoot with a very good lens (which is what really matters) for cheap. I use this: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51ATMNVF0NL._SY355_.jpg
Cost around $350 new years ago. About $40 used now. It takes great pictures when I do my part, weighs about 8 ounces, and don't worry about damaging it. I expect there are similar deals on other makers older models.
If photography is my major focus :rolleyes:, I use a system camera (Olympus Pen with mostly OM system lenses).

Samples:

yaduck9
01-30-2017, 02:03
Wayne

I have had good luck with KEH out of Washington, also.

Adorama and B&H out of New York City, also, have a good USED gear dept that I have had good luck with.

I always buy my camera gear USED from these three businesses.

yaduck9
01-30-2017, 02:08
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ntt=sony&refineSearchString=&ci=15487&N=4294182650

bigcranky
01-30-2017, 07:56
For any sort of decent nighttime photos you need the largest possible sensor. The Sony RX100 is the smallest camera with a large enough sensor. I have the original and the Mark iii. The latest versions go for $1000+ but the first two are well under $500. Bring an extra battery and a charger, of course.

The RX100 is somewhat fiddly and I find it too small for everyday use, but for hiking it's perfect. I do prefer the Mark iii for the pop-up viewfinder, but the image quality is good on all models.

Dennis.OnthegO
01-30-2017, 12:33
While it is not quite within the $300 price constraint that you listed, take a look at the Canon Powershot G7X. This is an excellent little camera that closely matches the Sony RX100 specs, but it costs several hundred dollars less. They recently came out with a Mark II version, so you might be able to find an excellent deal on the earlier model.

lilgodwin
01-30-2017, 17:14
I knew I should have posted the link. My bad!

http://www.lonelyspeck.com/photographing-the-milky-way-with-a-point-and-shoot/

The RX100 is on the list. But a VERY quick search showed me prices were between 500-900, and so I didn't look further than that, other than Craigslist... A no-go.

Thanks for the tips. The RX100 seems like a general winner here. And I'll definitely check out some of those sites for a good deal!

lilgodwin
01-30-2017, 17:16
Oh, and as for the one asking about my requirements, I'm really only concerned about the nighttime shots. Whatever that entails. For any other shots, the same camera would do me just fine. Hell, I'm usually happy with the results of my Samsung Note 5 :-D but it wouldn't do well in the dark of course.

lilgodwin
01-30-2017, 18:41
Checked those sites out. Found the first iteration for $400. Any model after that seems like it's pulling $550+. Still looks like the camera I want. But I have a month to get one. Hopefully I can find a better deal on one in the next 2 weeks so I have some time to play with it before taking it on the trail.

lilgodwin
01-30-2017, 20:06
Well that didn't last long. Food a "used" one on Amazon for $385 shipped. Return policy is excellent, so I figured it was worth looking at. Description makes it seem like it was a display model and should only have cosmetic blemishes and sticker residue at most. No issues functioning. We'll see!

Tundracamper
01-30-2017, 20:33
I have a Nikon Coolpix A and love it. It is a point-and-shoot with an APS-C sensor, which is big. It listed for $1,100, but I got it on closeout for like $400. The Ricoh GR is comparable. Most folks don't understand that you can get a small camera with a big lens at a reasonable price, there just aren't many options. Nikon, unfortunately, didn't understand the reasonable price for that market.

lilgodwin
01-31-2017, 11:44
What's a decent method for keeping the camera moisture free? Just throw it in the dry sack? Ziploc bag with some cotton balls or toilet paper?

bigcranky
01-31-2017, 13:07
If it's just misting, I keep my camera in a ziploc bag inside my waist pack. If it's really raining I chuck the whole waist pack inside my big pack, inside the pack liner, etc.

Miner
01-31-2017, 13:56
The pouch On my shoulder strap seems to be semi waterproof, so for light rain I just zip it up all the way. If the rain is hard or prolonged, Adding a. Ziploc works just fine while inside the pouch

ScareBear
01-31-2017, 14:25
Yeah...misting and an expensive non-WP camera...that ends well, right?

strollin
01-31-2017, 19:59
check out Olympus tg-3 drop proof & waterproof..i think it's up to tg4 now.

lilgodwin
01-31-2017, 20:19
I expect the drop/waterproof is a tradeoff for other qualities. Plus, I'll have a GoPro or 2 for the fun stuff. My primary reason for getting a point&shoot is for the nighttime abilities. And no doubt it'll take good shots in normal lighting too. I think I found what I'm looking for in the RX100.

ScareBear
01-31-2017, 20:47
For night shots, I found my Sony WX350 to be a great little camera, especially for night shots without the flash. The problem is in the scene selector dial on the top of the camera. It picks up dirt/dust like a magnet and there is no cleaning it. It isn't a matter of if it will lock up, just when. That said, you can still do the scene selection via the LCD, it just takes longer...If you can find one for $200 and can keep it clean, it is the best P/S for under 500 bucks...JMHO...YMMV....

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-DSCWX350-Digital-Camera-Black/dp/B00I8BIB1S/ref=s9_cartx_gw_g421_i1_r?_encoding=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=BMMRPBBVDSVZWJJ1ENVA&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=a6aaf593-1ba4-4f4e-bdcc-0febe090b8ed&pf_rd_i=desktop

lilgodwin
02-02-2017, 15:51
Well that was quick!

Got my RX100 in like 2 days [emoji2] looks in near perfect condition, as advertised. 2 nearly impossible to see marks on the body. Charging now, should function flawlessly. So stoked for such a great deal.

colorado_rob
02-02-2017, 16:31
I know you mention wanting a capable point and shoot, but have you looked at the Canon SL1 DSLR? APC size sensor.

Lightest DSLR out there, lighter than a whole bunch of mirrorless and even some P&S cameras with zooms, toss in the Canon 10-18 zoom lens, also very light, you have a fantastic setup for backpacking/stars/night sky. I just checked the weight, 1lb-8 ounces for the camera, with battery, card and the 10-18mm lens.

Word is that the SL2 is coming out soon, even smaller and lighter. The SL1 is my go-to backpacking camera when I choose to take a camera, like out most hikes out west. I think you can pick up a brand new Canon SL1 with kit 18-55 lens for less than $400. I'm not crazy about the 18-55 kit lens, but the 10-18 zoom is about $250.

Woops, my bad, just noticed you already bought an RX100, great camera, ignore my post unless you eventually get interested in a full DSLR.

lilgodwin
02-02-2017, 16:56
I try to vary which items I don't mind being heavier, vs which ones I don't mind being bulky, expensive, etc. Regarding the camera, I was going for compact primarily (though primary quality/purpose was nighttime shots). SO those DSLR cameras wouldn't work for me, especially with the lenses. Thanks for the opinion though!