PDA

View Full Version : Backpack: Osprey Kyte vs. Ariel ???

HelveticHiker
01-30-2017, 09:28
I d'like to buy a new backpack for my 500-mile section hike. I did some reasearch and I know, I'd like to buy an Osprey pack.
But I'm undecided if it's going the be the Osprey Ladies-pack Ariel (55 or 65) or the Osprey Kyte (46/66) :-?- can somebody (maybe from the industry?) explain me the difference between the two packs and maybe has a recommendation? I'm quite tall for a woman (5 feet 10/178 cm)... my local Outfitter only has the Ariel in store, I tried it and I liked the fit, but I don't like the greenish color... The Kyte comes in a nice blue color I like better plus the Kyte is a lot lighter... And would you go for the 55/46 pack or the bigger (65/66) one?
Thanks for every advice!

Hikingjim
01-30-2017, 10:46
I think the ariel has a bit more to the hip belt and a few more bells and whistles (extra buckles on the back, etc).
Was helping a friend try on some packs a few weeks ago and she liked the kyte and the adjustable torso to get a nice fit. But it's still a touch heavy
For volume, it depends on your gear, but 46 is probably too small if you don't have really compact other gear.

Did you try the exos? the 58 is a decent size and it's a lot lighter and a good option if it fits you well

HelveticHiker
01-30-2017, 12:00
I think the ariel has a bit more to the hip belt and a few more bells and whistles (extra buckles on the back, etc).
Was helping a friend try on some packs a few weeks ago and she liked the kyte and the adjustable torso to get a nice fit. But it's still a touch heavy
For volume, it depends on your gear, but 46 is probably too small if you don't have really compact other gear.

Did you try the exos? the 58 is a decent size and it's a lot lighter and a good option if it fits you well

Thanks the answer, Hikingjim... the Kyte a touch heavy? Its less than 4 pounds... the Ariel is heavier... and yeah, I think also 46l might be to small, I tend towards getting the bigger pack, I don't have to stuff it to the top...but I know, one you've got the space you will fill it up ;-) And thanks to adding one pack to my dilemma, I checked out the features of the Exos and now I like this one too....

Hikingjim
01-30-2017, 12:46
A touch heavy compared to exos is mostly what I meant.
The exos ventilated suspension is a differentiating factor as well

Of those 3, exos would be my pick for sure, but only if it fits well of course. I think it's designed more for typical loads of 30 lbs or less (although a few people may say it can handle the advertised 40). Not as hard to achieve when the pack itself is lighter

Most popular pack on the AT
https://thetrek.co/appalachian-trail/the-top-backpacks-on-the-appalachian-trail-2016-at-thru-hiker-survey/

JustFun
01-30-2017, 17:32
You might consider the Osprey Exos 48. I don't know if your gear would fit inside the Osprey Exos 48 (depends on your sleep system, clothing choices, etc.) but it's one of the most common packs on the PCT and I personally love mine to death. I can pack all of my stuff even with a bear canister inside the 48 liter version and it's one of the lightest out there with a frame that sits well on my hips. Good luck with your shopping!