PDA

View Full Version : I need to drop weight in the sleeping bag department...

llittle_llama
01-30-2017, 11:16
I have a 4+ pound bag. It's a really nice Northface from a few years ago but not really good for my upcoming thru-hike. I did a little research last night and really like this one (https://www.rei.com/product/865355/sierra-designs-backcountry-bed-600-2-season-sleeping-bag) but want to know what you guys think before I grab it. Money is an issue, and I can stand to replace my tent as well (5.4 pounds) but can't afford to replace both. I'll be sharing my bag/tent with my 12 pound puppers.

Slo-go'en
01-30-2017, 11:23
Your 4+ pound sleeping bag must be synthetic insulation? If your going to be sleeping with your dog, your probably better off with the synthetic then with down. A wet dog and a down bag don't mix very well.

I'm confused by "12 pound puppers". Are there more then one and are they puppies? Or it just a little dog?

memphistiger02
01-30-2017, 11:26
How much are you looking to spend, enlightened equipment makes some light ones and are some of the cheapest

johnnybgood
01-30-2017, 11:36
Get a 20 degree topquilt . Hammockgear has 20 * TQ's for $225. Weight savings will be 3 lbs.

llittle_llama
01-30-2017, 11:42
Will just be the one dog, she is 10. Small Min Pin, but won't be coming into the bag wet. I have the REI half dome2+ right now and will be drying her off (if she gets wet) before she turns down for the night. I have the Osprey Atmos 65 AG so that I can pack her out in bad weather/snow/places you have to climb so that's not a big issue.

Right now I have a Northface Aleutian 600 3S Down 20*F

Hikingjim
01-30-2017, 11:44
Slo makes a good point. I would normally say quilt is a 20f down quilt is great choice for your start date, but it may be more likely to get wet with a dog (or potentially torn more easily)
That sierra designs bag might not be warm enough for fringe season and the warmth to weight isn't the greatest

http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/revelation-apex/
You could consider a synethic quilt with a 20D top fabric. Just over 2 lbs for $185

Hikingjim
01-30-2017, 11:47
If you were confident in keeping it dry, and don't mind spending $250 or so, the down quilts are much lighter for sure

Drkshdw
01-30-2017, 11:58
henry shires makes some pretty good tents that would save you about the same weight as replacing the bag if you don't think a down bag is something you could keep safe from fido

llittle_llama
01-30-2017, 12:07
What would you guys recommend tent wise? I've been at a loss looking at them because of the prices and sizes because I need something with just a tad more room for the pup to move around in while I get situated at night. Not a LOT of extra room, but just a tad. I know the 2+ is way more room than I need but I also don't want a Marmot Starlight 1 Tent...

johnnybgood
01-30-2017, 12:08
I still would opt for a down quilt over a 4+ lb. synthetic bag. Synthetic bags don't compress well in addition to being heavy.

saltysack
01-30-2017, 12:10
+1 for EE quilt..make pup own bag from thrift store ul down vest or synthetic...simply sew up waist and arm holes....plan on carrying the dog as needed....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maineiac64
01-30-2017, 12:14
REI quarter dome 2 is on sale and should be roomy enough at 3.1lbs its not lightest but better.

llittle_llama
01-30-2017, 12:37
I'm down to these (https://www.rei.com/b/big-agnes/c/backpacking-tents?r=category%3Acamping-and-hiking%7Ctents%7Cbackpacking-tents%3Bweight-lbs%3A0%20to%200.49%7C1%20to%201.49%7C1.50%20to%20 2.99%3Bb&pagesize=90&ir=category%3Abackpacking-tents&sort=min-price). I'll go to Goodwill right now and grab the pup a "sleeping bag" ;)

I really really really need to keep it under $300...

JC13
01-30-2017, 12:42
30 oz $180. First review mentions camping with an 80lb rot in this tent.

https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/collections/shelters/products/lunar-solo-le

swisscross
01-30-2017, 12:56
I'm down to these (https://www.rei.com/b/big-agnes/c/backpacking-tents?r=category%3Acamping-and-hiking%7Ctents%7Cbackpacking-tents%3Bweight-lbs%3A0%20to%200.49%7C1%20to%201.49%7C1.50%20to%20 2.99%3Bb&pagesize=90&ir=category%3Abackpacking-tents&sort=min-price). I'll go to Goodwill right now and grab the pup a "sleeping bag" ;)

Not familiar with most of the tents posted in your link but I can tell you that BA Copper Spur UL-1 and fly creek-1 series of tents will NOT fit you and your pup.
I would suggest the lightest 2 person you can find.
I recently bought a LHG Solong 6. I sleep in it with my young daughter with no issues.
The Solong is under your 300 dollar limit (maybe not with shipping) and weighs under 2lbs.

Time Zone
01-30-2017, 13:23
Can you sew? Perhaps you could get a couple Costco down throws, re-size them into top quilts, and nest them when needed.

Another money-saving option is used gear that is in good condition.

Tent-wise, keep an eye out for a sale on the Big Agnes Scout 2 ... if you can stand a single-wall shelter that requires staking out. A few months ago it was on sale for half price, about $150. 34 square feet (about 10% smaller than your half dome 2+) and only 2 lbs.

Seems like your options are limited because most tents/shelters with 30-35 sf (what I suspect you need) that are also lighter are not going to be cheap, or will be single-walled.

Good luck. If I were in your shoes I'd be looking for under-used gear to buy from someone who had more aspiration and money than time and freedom.

saltysack
01-30-2017, 13:28

Lightheart gear Solong6.... great for you and a pup...call Judy about a returned or demo...big shelter under 2lbs..

saltysack
01-30-2017, 13:44

Costco ul down vest only $15-$20.00 if u can find one for pup

Rex Clifton
01-30-2017, 22:40

Unless you are a small guy, I highly recommend you move to a two person tent. The price and weight difference is not that great and the extra room makes a big difference. Also, regarding a quilt vs a sleeping bag, unless you are primarily a back sleeper, and don't move around much, forget about a quilt. Believe me, I've tried to use my top quilt, (that works great in my hammock), on the ground and ended up fighting cold spots all night.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Engine
01-31-2017, 06:08
Unless you are a small guy, I highly recommend you move to a two person tent. The price and weight difference is not that great and the extra room makes a big difference. Also, regarding a quilt vs a sleeping bag, unless you are primarily a back sleeper, and don't move around much, forget about a quilt. Believe me, I've tried to use my top quilt, (that works great in my hammock), on the ground and ended up fighting cold spots all night.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk Top quilts designed for hammock users are usually not as wide as a quilt purpose built for sleeping on the ground. For that reason, they are often drafty and not very suitable for the purpose. A purpose built quilt, chosen in a width suitable for the users size and sleeping habits, is an amazing alternative to a traditional bag.

Engine
01-31-2017, 06:09
Lightheart gear Solong6.... great for you and a pup...call Judy about a returned or demo...big shelter under 2lbs..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Any of the Tarptent options from Henry Shires would easily fit into that price range as well.

sethd513
01-31-2017, 06:31

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

EE pad strap system works great for me. I can toss and turn all night till I get comfortable, sleep for and hour and back to the worm. The only thing I have to do is adjust my shoulders every now and again but if I was in a sleeping bag or bag liner it would get so twisted it's not even funny.

I've been trying to figure out what we are going to do with our dog and I feel like tarp camping will be key. No worries to the tent floor or netting getting ruined or a nasty dirty dog all over things you don't want feeling confined. This presents a problem if it's really buggy out but for 85$ you can get a tarp from etowa that comes 13oz I believe for 8x10

egilbe
01-31-2017, 07:43
I toss and turn all night and I have a quilt for just that reason. No issues with cold spots. As others stated, your quilt doesn't fit you.

cmoulder
01-31-2017, 09:51
As a toss-n-turn sleeper I too find the EE setup works great, but as usual there are a couple of things to keep in mind:

1) Buy your quilt in the Wide or X-wide size, depending upon how big you are. This permits the quilt to wrap around more, and makes more room if extra layers are worn. The clips on the elastic loops can be moved very close together to turn the quilt into a quasi-sleeping bag.

2) The stock EE setup has the upper elastic loop strap (torso area) designed to wrap around the sleep pad/air mat and a lower strap (knee area) that just clips the sides of the quilt together. I find it extremely helpful if the lower strap is also in a loop configuration like the upper one. Additionally, in the winter when I am using a CCF pad on top of my air mat, I have an additional elastic loop just to hold the CCF and air mat together near the foot, and there is also an elastic loop through my pillow (Exped UL medium) which of course goes around the head area and helps keep the CCF and air mat together. This might sound like overkill, but in the winter you don't want to be fiddling with things in the middle of the night at -5°F.

LIhikers
02-02-2017, 22:50
What would you guys recommend tent wise? I've been at a loss looking at them because of the prices and sizes because I need something with just a tad more room for the pup to move around in while I get situated at night. Not a LOT of extra room, but just a tad. I know the 2+ is way more room than I need but I also don't want a Marmot Starlight 1 Tent...
Let me suggest you consider the Tarptent Rainbow (https://www.tarptent.com/rainbow.html).
While it's a 1 person tent there's enough room for me and our 90 pound shepherd.