PDA

View Full Version : tent suggetions for 6-8 year old...

cr115
01-30-2017, 12:57
Have just started hiking/backpacking with my six year old. I am a hammock camper but she needs to take to ground (just too active of a sleeper). I have been researching lightweight 1-2 man tents for her but don't want to spend much as I think she will be hanging soon. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanx

Time Zone
01-30-2017, 13:05
Why not a 2P Coleman Sundome? It would be inexpensive even brand new ($34 @ WM), and there's probably one for about half that on Mr. Craig's List near you now. Though they're not light, at 6.4 lbs, that might still be lighter than 2 separate hammock + tarp setups, depending on how much you have/will spend on those components.

nsherry61
01-30-2017, 13:13
Maybe consider a larger tarp for your hammock that would cover you plus enough ground for her to sleep on the ground next to you. It would be relatively little extra weight, inexpensive (depending on your tarp choice), and would provide a palatial amount of living space for both of you relative to other options.

cr115
01-30-2017, 13:38
good suggestion, I ve a 8 x 10 silnylon that would work well for that I think...thanx

bigcranky
01-30-2017, 15:02
Six Moons Designs Scout.

Time Zone
01-30-2017, 17:32
Six Moons Designs Scout.

23 sf? Might be a bit tight for two, or 1.5.

bigcranky
01-30-2017, 17:45
23 sf? Might be a bit tight for two, or 1.5.

Oh, sorry, I thought this was for one person.

HooKooDooKu
01-30-2017, 18:17
Oh, sorry, I thought this was for one person.
The OP specified
1-2 man tents and didn't specify if the plan is for him to continue to hang while the daughter is in the tent alone, or if he's looking for a tent for both of them to share.

If the OP is looking for something they can share that is of good quality, I would suggest the Marmot Limelight 2 (http://www.sierratradingpost.com/marmot-limelight-2-tent-2-person-3-season~p~9688a/) from Sierra Trading Post. The tent is a little bit on the heavy side at around 5lbs. But it's rugged enough that you don't have to worry too much about a child damaging it. It's currently listed at Sierra Trading Post for $159.99, but you shouldn't have much of a problem finding a coupon for an additional 25% off with free shipping (for orders >$100), making the final cost of the tent $120. That's a bargain for a good quality tent that isn't TOO heavy.

BTW, many of these Marmot tents come with a foot-print, even when the spec on a web page doesn't list it. That's what happened to me when I purchased a Marmot Traillight two years ago, and I see that the current version of the Marmot Limelight (https://marmot.com/equipment-tents-2-person-tents/limelight-2p/27930.html) is listed as including a foot-print.

Venchka
01-30-2017, 18:37
Unless you're sure that your daughter will sleep all night alone in a tent, buy a tent for both of you. Sleeping together.
I learned the hard way.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teacher & Snacktime
01-30-2017, 19:10
Kelty Tempest 2. Too heavy for her to tote, but very reasonable and a great, reliable tent. $70, 4+ lbs, and even a 6yr old can set it up. Wonderfully weatherproof....good quality.

Maui Rhino
01-30-2017, 19:19
A few years ago, I picked up a SMD Lunar Duo Outfitter for camping with my now 6 y/o son. It is more than roomy enough for us both and easy to set up. The dual vestibules and doors are a nice touch....It weighs 57oz, but for a little more $, you can get the 41oz Lunar Duo Explorer. For a "budget tent", I've been very pleased with the quality of it.

ScareBear
01-30-2017, 19:22
First off, I'd look for used quality gear.

Second, I'd look for freestanding.

Third, I'd look for lightweight.

So very many people get into backpacking for whatever reason and by a tent, even a good UL tent, and then use it a few times, find out the tent or backpacking wasn't their thing and presto, that nearly new tent is for sale at 50 to 75 percent off. If you pay careful attention to sales, you can get last year model Big Agnes UL tents for 30-50 percent off, brand new.

My other advice is, don't be penny-wise and dollar-foolish. In other words, don't buy that cheap and heavy tent. There is a reason it is cheap....and only part of it is because it is heavy...just sayin...

ScareBear
01-30-2017, 19:23
I guess I am going to have to join so I can correct my spelling errors...eeek....buy not by....

HooKooDooKu
01-31-2017, 02:51
My other advice is, don't be penny-wise and dollar-foolish. In other words, don't buy that cheap and heavy tent. There is a reason it is cheap....and only part of it is because it is heavy...just sayin...
While I agree with the basic advice, IMHO, there's multiple levels when it comes to what some consider "heavy tents".

At one extreme you will find very light weight tents (Big Agnes label these ad UL tents). The cost will likely be around $300-400, and the tent will be light weight because the material will be ultra thin. I own and use one of these UL tents, but because their cost are so high, I'm constantly worried about tearing it and can't bring myself to trust kids in it.

The next level is what I might call standard weight tents. These will be of thicker material and therefore heavier. It's not too difficult to find tents for two that weight around 5lbs and cost around $150-200. Kelty is a good example of this sort of tent. Good quality with thicker materials I feel safer using with kids.

Then there is the <$100 tents. These will be 6-7lbs or more. Some name brands will be of good quality (like Eureka), they just suffer from using heavier materials.

Finally you start getting into tents that are getting closer to $50 or less where quality starts to suffer, or you start getting into what I would call a backyard tent.

nsherry61
01-31-2017, 13:34
. . . there's multiple levels when it comes to what some consider "heavy tents". . . Finally you start getting into tents that are getting closer to $50 or less . . .
. . . then you get into the less than $10 tents, or as most people call them, tarps, that when pitched well can handle pretty extreme weather, cost practically nothing, and are downright fun learn to pitch in lots of different ways.

I'm still pretty baffled as to why so many people, even those that spend lots of time outdoors, seem to default to tents instead of tarps for shelters. Tarps work so well, allow so much more creativity, and cost so much less, it seems to me that tarps should be the default shelter with tents talked about for the exceptional situations like extreme bugs, extreme weather (i.e. mountain storms on exposed ridges), or people with extreme fear issues that still want to try to sleep outdoors. I think tarp pitching skills should be taught as fundamental back-country skills to all beginners, kinda like digging cat holes, starting emergency fires, LNT, etc.

HooKooDooKu
01-31-2017, 15:07
I'm still pretty baffled as to why so many people, even those that spend lots of time outdoors, seem to default to tents instead of tarps for shelters...
For me personally, I like having a place I can get away from the creepy crawlies at night. I've really hated those nights in shelters when I can feel a granddaddy-long-leg crawling across my face or a mouse scampering across my sleeping bag.

As for the cost of tarps... again, you can get heavy and cheap or light and expensive. Several cuben fiber tarps available that cost as much as the UL category of tents.
Zpacks and Hyperlite Mountain Gear have tarp as much as $300 - $380 (depending upon color).

Maui Rhino
01-31-2017, 15:52
Personally, I too prefer tarps. But a 6y/o is not the most logical being. Often the enclosure of a tent can help them feel more secure.... Meaning they sleep better, and are "Happy Campers" the next day, making everyone's day better.

ScareBear
01-31-2017, 21:56
Personally, I too prefer tarps. But a 6y/o is not the most logical being. Often the enclosure of a tent can help them feel more secure.... Meaning they sleep better, and are "Happy Campers" the next day, making everyone's day better.

Do a little research...I found this tent at this low price...look at the weight as well under 5 pounds...seems like a good fit at a good price...you can also see if there is a 25percent coupon for STP that applies....

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/alps-mountaineering-zephyr-2-tent-2-person-3-season~p~7309j/?filterString=tents~d~228%2F

Often your cheaper Kelty's, et al will have mostly solid walls, rather than no-see-um. This is a cost-cutter in manufacturing and in materials and leads to a heavier tent with poor ventilation. So poor that they are worthless in hot humid summers...IMHO...YMMV...

I am no fan of Alps, but not a hater. I'd give this tent a go if I could get it for a Benjamin...

But, I would look first at used gear. You would be surprised what kind of tent you could grab for a Ben...

Teacher & Snacktime
01-31-2017, 22:15
Do a little research...I found this tent at this low price...look at the weight as well under 5 pounds...seems like a good fit at a good price...you can also see if there is a 25percent coupon for STP that applies....

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/alps-mountaineering-zephyr-2-tent-2-person-3-season~p~7309j/?filterString=tents~d~228%2F

Often your cheaper Kelty's, et al will have mostly solid walls, rather than no-see-um. This is a cost-cutter in manufacturing and in materials and leads to a heavier tent with poor ventilation. So poor that they are worthless in hot humid summers...IMHO...YMMV...

The Alps looks good, but I love my Kelty Tempest II and for $70 (I paid 69.99) it's very high quality. Plenty of ventilation, no condensation, a great tent. I don't know about the other Keltys, but this one is a winner.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/kelty-tempest-2-person-tent/16kelutmpst2prsntcat

Heritage
01-31-2017, 22:54
My boys both got an Alps Mountaineering 1 man tent. Pretty cool little tent. Feels solid, but heavy - 3.8 pounds. When we backpack we all sleep together in my REI half dome but they like their little Alps tents.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

HooKooDooKu
02-01-2017, 02:25
I've loved the Kelty tents that I've owned (still have/use Gunnison 3.1 when I need a three man tent.

Actually I was disappointed when I replaced my 1st Kelty with a Big Agnes... something about the material seems to make it more prone to condensation than the material Kelty uses.

Bianchi Veloce
02-01-2017, 02:54
Check out the tarp tents from Henry Shires. Not cheap, but great quality with some weight saving benefits.

https://www.tarptent.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=59

Bianchi Veloce
02-01-2017, 03:00
Also, check out Lightheart duo tent. Great quality gear from LightHeart.

http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php/shop-now/tents/duo-tent

Starchild
02-01-2017, 07:35
I've heard some using a Walmart scout tent on a AT thru, under $20 last time I checked, and pretty darn light, made for 2 children up to 5 ft, 1 adult had to use it diagonally. Two color choices, I suggest not the orange, a bright orange tent can cause trouble sleeping for some when there is a source of light somewhere.

MtDoraDave
02-02-2017, 08:20
Lighter than a walmart tent, how about a wenzel starlite 1 person tent?

https://wenzelco.com/starlite-1/

3 lbs 5 oz claimed weight, could probably lighten that up with different guylines and stakes. I would also suggest seam-sealing it and spraying a waterproofer spray on the fabric...

Water Rat
02-02-2017, 10:32
If you already know your daughter will sleep alone in a tent, please disregard the first bit of advice.

I would start this process by getting a less expensive tent to put in the backyard. Narrow down the choices and let her pick out her tent, so she feels like it is HER tent. She is far more likely to stay in the tent (by herself) overnight if she feels like it is her space. If it doesn't work out, then you are not out a lot of money and she has an awesome tent to get used to so that maybe this works better in a year, or so.

If you know she will stay in a tent by herself, then narrow down the choices and still let her pick out her tent. Your daughter is far more likely to stay in her tent and be proud of her tent if she feels it is all hers. Honestly, going for a tent that is less expensive might not be a bad way to go for her first tent. Kids grow fast, and can be hard on things... You don't really need top of the line for a few nights a year. It is a far better investment to get her the cheap tent she likes (but will still keep her dry), than to pay a lot of money on a tent she does not like and decides not to use. You might be carrying something a little heavier than you want, but if you get her hooked on backpacking, then you can get her a real tent next year.

Regardless of how things work out - Kudos for wanting to introduce your child to the outdoors and backpacking! I hope you and your daughter have a fantastic time and create memories you will both cherish. :)

Smithereens
02-08-2017, 15:14
I have a Starlite... At first it seems like a pretty neat little tent, until you wake up at 3am and try to sit up. That's when the gallons and gallons of condensation fall in a cold downpour, soaking everything inside. I literally had to get out of the tent and wring the water out of everything. This was on a cool and somewhat foggy night with the tent fully vented.

Lighter than a walmart tent, how about a wenzel starlite 1 person tent?

https://wenzelco.com/starlite-1/

3 lbs 5 oz claimed weight, could probably lighten that up with different guylines and stakes. I would also suggest seam-sealing it and spraying a waterproofer spray on the fabric...

Huntmog
02-08-2017, 22:53
I have an Alps mountaineering chaos 2 that fits myself, a 5 YO and 6 YO boys perfectly. It's not too heavy to backpack and is huge inside. We've spent many nights in it from rain storms to snow storms to 95 SE Virginia humidity. It has amazing ventilation and we've never gotten wet . I have my fly creek for dad trips but that Alps is great. You NEED two vestibules camping with a kid. Otherwise you wake them up when you come in, pee etc.