PDA

View Full Version : What's your dogs gear list?

Eno
01-30-2017, 19:06
Let's compare our gear. What did you pick, and why?

My pup, Sonja, uses this:
Ruffwear Approach pack
RW Quinzee jacket
RW Highlands sleeping bag (she sleeps cold, and we do a lot of winter backpacking)
Musher's Secret
collapsible water/food bowl

and that's it!

Cheyou
01-30-2017, 20:11
Mine hikes super ultralight . He makes me carry his food.

saltysack
01-30-2017, 23:51
Mine hikes super ultralight . He makes me carry his food.

Ha...mine to!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DuneElliot
01-31-2017, 11:44
Each of my pups have a Ruffwear pack.
They carry their own food, for up to 5 days (I'll carry excess over that)
The larger of my two dogs carries the two collapsible food/water bowls (silicone coffee mugs from Walmart).
They carry their own leashes
I carry two, small cut-down Thermarest sleeping pads on my pack, one for each of them plus for use as a sit pad.

My two are both border collies with high endurance and tough pads (with super hairy feet for extra protection). I don't take anything extra for their feet.

I do carry some baby aspirin for my older dog as he occasionally gets a little stiff where he was kicked by a horse.

plexusbritt
01-31-2017, 15:30
My girl eats freezer bag meals just like me! lol :D

She has an outward hound backpack (I will upgrade when I know for sure that I am going to continue having her carry her own pack)

Leash with a carbiner on it for clipping to my hip belt.

Benadryl

a cut down thermarest for her sleep pad

a $2 fleece blanket for her to sleep with

an all natural pad balm that I have been known to use on my own feet... :o

I know this adds to my pack weight but, I like knowing that she is comfortable. At 2 years old, she has been hiking since she was safely through puppy shots and I want her to always be excited to go. She is a Great Pyrenees and Australian Cattle Dog mix.

ScareBear
01-31-2017, 22:01
Outward Hound expandable pack
Patches on pack "Ask to Pet"
Two days food
One litre of water
Paw mitts for the tent
Tin of Bag Balm
1 roll vet wrap
20 vetprofen
reflective blaze orange collar
ID and rabies tags
Microchipped

I wear a harness loop that attaches to his bungee leash and carry the balance of his food/treats...

SawnieRobertson
02-01-2017, 20:56
What kibble is the best fordogs on long distance hikes? Any recommendations?

DuneElliot
02-02-2017, 09:26
What kibble is the best fordogs on long distance hikes? Any recommendations?

If you can afford it the freeze dried stuff is great and light-weight, but that stuff is expensive. There are a couple of good brands out there that I can't think of off the top of my head. For kibble I looked into the best quality food that a lot of sled dogs are fed...and again, can't remember the brand. You want to look for high quality with high calorie-to-weight content and all the correct nutrients.

plexusbritt
02-02-2017, 10:43
I am in the same conundrum with the dog food as I get ready for my pinhoti through hike. At this point, I am planning to suck it up and buy the freeze dried stuff for her main meals and then supplement with high calorie snacks such as peanut butter, any of my leftovers (dog safe leftovers that is), and possibly some of the doggie meal bars that were sent to the animal clinic where I work part time as samples.

DuneElliot
02-02-2017, 11:32
I am in the same conundrum with the dog food as I get ready for my pinhoti through hike. At this point, I am planning to suck it up and buy the freeze dried stuff for her main meals and then supplement with high calorie snacks such as peanut butter, any of my leftovers (dog safe leftovers that is), and possibly some of the doggie meal bars that were sent to the animal clinic where I work part time as samples.

Many companies are using xylitol in their peanut butter now which is toxic to dogs. Check the ingredients carefully.

plexusbritt
02-02-2017, 12:42
Many companies are using xylitol in their peanut butter now which is toxic to dogs. Check the ingredients carefully.

I am a bit of a purist on my nut butters. Thanks for the heads up though! Very disconcerting but, good to know.

saltysack
02-02-2017, 20:23

Ship I forgot about that! honest kitchen is good dehydrated food to mix w kibble and warm water. Usually get free sample bags at stores...turbo pup bars are great but my pup is picky! I've got about a dozen left...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk