PDA

View Full Version : Maps?

missmek
01-30-2017, 21:01
Hi there,

I'm intending to do a 2017 thru-hike, and the only thing I have yet to get is some sort of map or navigational app. I was wondering if y'all had any recommendations? I've heard of people carrying the NG maps, but they're pretty expensive and I'm wanting to know if they're worth it. I've also had people say you don't need a map at all. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Michaela

bigcranky
01-30-2017, 21:19
People have thru-hiked without maps, but I like carrying them. The ATC local groups publish maps for their sections, and the full set is available from the ATC for a discount. Or you can get three book maps from Postholer (http://www.postholer.com/maps/Appalachian-Trail/3), or the Guthook AT app (http://atlasguides.com/) (which is great and doesn't require service but if your phone dies your maps go away). NGS also makes booklet maps which are really convenient but not cheap, I think there are about a dozen of them for the whole trail. I have the first one which I rather like.
(https://shop.nationalgeographic.com/product/maps/trail-maps/north-carolina/1501-appalachian-trail--springer-mountain-to-davenport-gap--georgia--north-carolina--tennessee--trail-map?green=C1CDB536-6CDD-5D99-B6B8-F9B0238CA029)
The AT Thru Hiker's Companion is also pretty darn useful, or the AT Guide.

missmek
01-30-2017, 21:24
I think it's worth noting that I will be carrying AWOL's 2017 guide.

Slo-go'en
01-30-2017, 21:51
I think it's worth noting that I will be carrying AWOL's 2017 guide.

That's really all you need. Get the Guthook app for your phone too and you'll be all set. Just buy sections as you get to them. For finding your way around town, google maps. It's all in the palm of your hand.

Sarcasm the elf
01-30-2017, 22:25
The best advice I can give is to buy the maps for the state where you are starting and then see how much you use them when you are on trail. If you find them useful on trail then buy the rest. That said, it is a good idea carry a map while in New Hampshire due to the number of intersecting trails and unique labeling.

Hikingjim
01-30-2017, 22:36
NG maps are nice if you like to look at big maps with more detail, but you go through each map region pretty fast.
AWOL + guthook app is a good option. It's cheaper to buy them all at once instead of one at a time. Obviously if you quit after 1 region, you saved money by just getting one though!

ggreaves
01-30-2017, 23:50
Guthook is amazing. And if you put your phone in airplane mode, the gps will stay on and still last for a few days.

Engine
01-31-2017, 06:00
That's really all you need. Get the Guthook app for your phone too and you'll be all set. Just buy sections as you get to them. For finding your way around town, google maps. It's all in the palm of your hand. +1 The AT Guide and Guthook app, along with Google Navigator (or similar) for when you're wandering around the larger towns looking for a specific item or location. On the AT maps are basically superfluous.

CarlZ993
01-31-2017, 14:43
I have no experience w/ the Guthook App. Sounds like a decent system assuming your phone is operational. I carried some 'Appalachian Trail Pocket Maps' when I started. That didn't last long. I sent them home pretty quick. Didn't need them. When I got to NH, I got a map of the Whites. I found the intersecting trail network confusing. Even w/ a map, I made a wrong turn @ an intersection. Fortunately for me, it ended up being a 'level' short-cut instead of a big climb, long hike that the AT followed. I knew of some hikers that hiked multiple hours in the wrong direction in the Whites.

I've looked at the National Geo AT maps. Those look nice. Being the map geek that I am, I might get them just for that purpose. If I were to carry any maps, I'd carry those. Really nice set.

Good luck in your decision. Happy trails!!

Colter
01-31-2017, 17:53
+1 The AT Guide and Guthook app, along with Google Navigator (or similar) for when you're wandering around the larger towns looking for a specific item or location. ...

That's what I'd do.