PDA

View Full Version : anti gravity packs ?

penny b
01-30-2017, 21:52
Does anyone have much experience with the anti gravity packs ? and IF so is it worth the extra $$ for them or is it just more then its made out to be ?I am debating on if worth the extra 50.00 for that feature in a pack . I know what works for one isnt what will work for others just looking for others input besides the guy at a store trying to sell it

Maineiac64
01-30-2017, 22:18
I had Osprey AG 65 and returned it in favor of lighter pack. It was comfortable, carried the weight fairly well, but mine squeeked a lot. I would rather fight gravity by shedding 3 lbs for the pack itself.

ElCid94
01-30-2017, 22:19
I have one and have used it from Springer to Neel's Gap. Not a ton of experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

penny b
01-30-2017, 22:23
the pack i looking at is 4 lbs with the anti gravity in it ....

ElCid94 was you section hiking or traded the pack out for something else ? did you like it for that stretch you did have it ?

eggymane
01-30-2017, 22:26
I assume you are referring to the osprey ag? I as well used one from Amicalola to Neels Gap..first thing I did when I got there was get a ULA. Wear a pack like the ULA correctly and you have nearly as much air circulation for half the weight.

ElCid94
01-30-2017, 22:29
I have one and have used it from Springer to Neel's Gap. Not a ton of experience

but enough to say that it is the right pack for me until I can afford lighter and smaller gear. The pack is relatively comfortable for heavier loads (35 to 40 #s for me), but I know I will trade it in on an ultra light pack when I get my base weight down. If your base weight is 12#s, it doesn't make sense to carry it in a pack that is nearly 5 pounds empty. For me, it comes down to your current base weight. If you could spend that $50 on lighter gear, could you get away with a lighter, less structural pack?

penny b
01-30-2017, 22:30

ElCid94 was you section hiking or traded the pack out for something else ? did you like it for that stretch you did have it ?

I was checking out the
OSPREY Women's Aura AG 55l or 60l

penny b
01-30-2017, 22:32
i just starting out on this adventure and trying to figure out what the best pack would be for the money

Hikingjim
01-30-2017, 22:45
gravity is good or you'd fly off the mountains into space.
Buy your pack after you get your other core items. If your other gear is compact, you can get a lightweight bag. If you are carry a lot, one of the AG bags might be of use

nsherry61
01-30-2017, 22:51
The Osprey AG packs are generally considered some of the most comfortable packs made for lighter loads (<35 lbs). However, they are not the lightest and they don't carry heavy loads well, they carry light loads like a dream, if they work for you.

Get an AG if you like the idea of paying a 1.5 to 2 lb weight penalty and an extra $50 to carry less than 30 pounds more comfortably.

If you are trying desperately to drop your base weight by a few pounds so that carrying it is more comfortable, go for an ultralight pack that will save you two pounds, but not feel quite as absent from your back while you are carrying it.

In other words, if your objective is high comfort, the AG has a lot to offer.
If your objective is the lightest load, to maybe allow a few more miles at the expense of a little bit of comfort, don't go with the AG.

ggreaves
01-30-2017, 23:59
get a smaller / lighter pack. It's easy to get one for the cash you'll lay out for the osprey - Look at Gossamer Gear, ULA, ZPacks - even Granite Gear. It's way more fun carrying less stuff no matter how fancy the suspension is. Weight is weight and your body will feel the difference over the course of the day between 35 lbs on a space age suspension and 20 lbs on a frameless Gossamer Gear G4 weighing only a pound. Holy crap! I just checked the Gossamer Gear site and the G4's not there anymore.

MRupert420
01-31-2017, 01:20
I purchased an Atmost AG 65 last year and feels great for me in the 30-35 lb range. Much better than a previous Osprey. The weight is worth it to me due to a aggrevating back. I'll take the weight on my legs better than my back.

MRupert420
01-31-2017, 01:21
I purchased an Atmost AG 65 last year and feels great for me in the 30-35 lb range. Much better than a previous Osprey. The weight is worth it to me due to a aggrevating back. I'll take the weight on my legs better than my back.
If carrying 25 lbs or less total weight, go with something lighter without a doubt.

ElCid94
01-31-2017, 02:37

I was/am section hiking. New to backpacking. This is my first new pack in 30 plus years. I still have it and will keep using it as I work to reduce my load.

Dex
01-31-2017, 06:22
I went with the AG65 because of major neck surgery. With 10 screws 4 new bones and two metal plates holding my neck together. The osprey is the only one comfortable enough I can carry. I would love to be able to carry a 1lb. Pack, but for me this is the only one that fits well and doesn't pull at my upper torso.

JC13
01-31-2017, 09:34
If you really like the Osprey, look at the Exos 58 instead. Nearly half the weight of the Aura, carries 20-40 lbs. Wife has one and loves it! Currently looking at getting a Exos 38 for myself.

nsherry61
01-31-2017, 13:13
. . . look at the Exos 58 instead. Nearly half the weight of the Aura, carries 20-40 lbs. . .
Yeah. I own and use an Exos 48 fairly regularly. It'll carry 60 lbs too, but it isn't very pleasant.

My two cents: I would NOT use my Exos if I planned on carrying more than 30 lbs on a regular basis. If you hit 35 for a day or two after resupply, what the heck, go for it. But, for what it's worth, I would strongly discourage someone from using an Exos if their starting weight is 40 lbs.

What we get with these tension mess pack systems like the Exos and the Osprey AG packs is a super comfortable and light suspension that rocks for light loads and rapidly looses support as the weight of the load becomes more than the tension mesh can support while maintaining shape. I't like a cheap laundry basket with five pounds of cloths vs 50 lbs of cloths, where it starts to fold in on itself.

ggreaves
01-31-2017, 15:21
to the OP, just wondering what other gear you've purchased. how heavy and bulky are your tent and bag? because getting a pack that carries 45lbs well when that's 20 lbs heavier than your'e likely to need isn't worth the weight penalty. When I carry 20-25lbs with a GG Mariposa or a ULA OHM 2, it's like the pack's not there at all. They carry like a dream. I'm sure they'd be lousy carrying 45lbs but I'll never have to find out.

Maineiac64
01-31-2017, 15:34

wouldn't less weight on your legs be better?

ggreaves
01-31-2017, 15:42
wouldn't less weight on your legs be better?

exactly. and just because they're ultralight packs doesn't mean you carry the weight on your back (not your hips) or that the suspension is uncomfortable. The fellas at Neels Gap have made an entire business out of getting 45lb packs down to 25lbs for people who are questioning themselves after walking there from Springer. But if you do your homework first, like it seems you're doing, you can buy the right stuff first and not have to max out the credit card at Mountain Crossings.

martinb
01-31-2017, 16:26
Does anyone have much experience with the anti gravity packs ? and IF so is it worth the extra $$ for them or is it just more then its made out to be ?I am debating on if worth the extra 50.00 for that feature in a pack . I know what works for one isnt what will work for others just looking for others input besides the guy at a store trying to sell it

I have a AG65 and like it. I don't have any leg strength/back/etc problems. It carries well, better than some other big name packs out there (in the same cap/weight range). The best thing to do would be to go into a hiker store and try out different packs until you find the one that works for you.

Maineiac64
01-31-2017, 19:39
exactly. and just because they're ultralight packs doesn't mean you carry the weight on your back (not your hips) or that the suspension is uncomfortable. The fellas at Neels Gap have made an entire business out of getting 45lb packs down to 25lbs for people who are questioning themselves after walking there from Springer. But if you do your homework first, like it seems you're doing, you can buy the right stuff first and not have to max out the credit card at Mountain Crossings.

It didn't take me long hiking with 35lbs to realize the importance of being light and get motivated to get as light as reasonably possible. I have switched out pack, bag, pad, cook pot, stove, and water system this winter and believe I will shave off at least 10lbs from my carry weight, hopefully 12lbs or so.

devoidapop
02-01-2017, 19:39
I have a AG65 and like it. I don't have any leg strength/back/etc problems. It carries well, better than some other big name packs out there (in the same cap/weight range). The best thing to do would be to go into a hiker store and try out different packs until you find the one that works for you.[/QUOTE]

I agree, try out as many as you can. If you hike in a group maybe swap packs for a day. Also, buy packs with liberal return policies until you find the right one. FWIW, I love my AG 65.

Atraain
02-09-2017, 17:29
I carried the Atmos 65 AG 500 miles last year. Great pack to carry. The issue is it gained weight. When I got it weighed 4lbs 6oz. Today it weighs 5lbs 8 oz. It also gets heavier in the rain. I used a pack cover and wore a poncho and the thing kept absorbing water and gaining weight. Still that suspension system carried the weight comfortably. I bought a Hyperlite 3400 for my thru hike this year..