PDA

View Full Version : Pet Sitting

Cuffs
01-21-2006, 22:31
I boarded my furkid (dog) once, and I will never do it again. I have family arranged to take care of her during my '07 thru attempt, but I also have 4 cats. They are going to be a problem when it comes time to find a caretaker fo them.

After reading many journals and forum posts about this topic, I felt the need to ask:

If kennels/boarding were available just to thru hikers, would you use it?

Now, this would not be your generic 2x2 box that pets are forced to stay in at the usual places. I would be considering building large in/outdoor runs for dogs, multi-level condos for cats and everything in between.
I am not your average pet sitter. I love animals, wild and domestic. I have raised cats, dogs, squirrels, all kinds of birds, a raccoon... I even drove from AL to MI to rescue 2 kittens from a certain unthinkable fate in a shelter!

I am self employed already, so I am home most of the time. I would only hire those that share my beliefs in animals and pet care to cover for me if I had to be away.

Knowing the predicament that thru-hiking put moms and dads in when it comes to our furkids, my only consideration would be what to charge for such a service? At the very least, enough to cover food, water & treats. Of course any incidental/emergency vet calls. I know a thru puts most in a financial predicament in the first place...

Also think about drop off and pick up. I am in central Alabama. Would you be able to get here or at least consider meeting 1/2 way?

I would be open and available to inspections at your convenience (that's a big deal to me!!)

So, back to you, the thru-hiker...

Would you use such a service?
What would be reasonable and customary fees to charge? (while trying to be hiker-friendly, but not losing $$ either)

drsukie
01-21-2006, 22:57
I boarded my furkid (dog) once, and I will never do it again. I have family arranged to take care of her during my '07 thru attempt, but I also have 4 cats. They are going to be a problem when it comes time to find a caretaker fo them.

After reading many journals and forum posts about this topic, I felt the need to ask:

If kennels/boarding were available just to thru hikers, would you use it?

Now, this would not be your generic 2x2 box that pets are forced to stay in at the usual places. I would be considering building large in/outdoor runs for dogs, multi-level condos for cats and everything in between.
I am not your average pet sitter. I love animals, wild and domestic. I have raised cats, dogs, squirrels, all kinds of birds, a raccoon... I even drove from AL to MI to rescue 2 kittens from a certain unthinkable fate in a shelter!

I am self employed already, so I am home most of the time. I would only hire those that share my beliefs in animals and pet care to cover for me if I had to be away.

Knowing the predicament that thru-hiking put moms and dads in when it comes to our furkids, my only consideration would be what to charge for such a service? At the very least, enough to cover food, water & treats. Of course any incidental/emergency vet calls. I know a thru puts most in a financial predicament in the first place...

Also think about drop off and pick up. I am in central Alabama. Would you be able to get here or at least consider meeting 1/2 way?

I would be open and available to inspections at your convenience (that's a big deal to me!!)

So, back to you, the thru-hiker...

Would you use such a service?
What would be reasonable and customary fees to charge? (while trying to be hiker-friendly, but not losing $$ either)

Dude! Let's Talk! :bse I am in Atlanta - not very far. I have four "furkids"; two dogs and two cats. I am thruhiking this year.... Sue

simplehiker
02-06-2006, 02:19
I think this would be great for dog. But for most cats in non-dog homes it would be way to stressfull to be in such a chaotic environment.

Pets can be very hard on planting a thru-hiker. After 5 or so years of planning and waiting my wife and I have finally found someone who would watch our 2 cats for the 6 months that would do the job and we trusted them.

The hike was really starting to seem like a lost cause and that we wouldn't be able to go until our pets passed on but we got lucky. If you could provide this to dog owners you would be worth your weight in gold.

soulrebel
02-06-2006, 08:51
Man I wish I knew about this earlier. I decided to keep my house b/c I couldn't find anyone reliable for my 2 cats... I've got my friend and brother house-sitting, but I think I would've sold my place if I had a caretaker for the animals. In atl also.

I'd personally try to do 2 rates. One for BYOfood/litter and one for house supplied...
I would think $25-$50 a week per animal is reasonable.
Or $50-100 a week per animal if they don't bring their own stuff.

Blissful
02-06-2006, 22:53
This may seem like a dumb question - but will my dog remember me when I get back? Or will she latch on to whoever is taking care of her? I will likely see her only once or twice during the six month hike...
:confused:
She's a beagle and I love her.

simplehiker
02-06-2006, 23:36
This may seem like a dumb question - but will my dog remember me when I get back? Or will she latch on to whoever is taking care of her? I will likely see her only once or twice during the six month hike...
:confused:
She's a beagle and I love her.

I don't think it is a dumb question. I swear every time my cat stares at me it is as if she knows I am dumping her at some strangers house for half a year.

Dogs are pretty smart and have good smell, I am sure your dog will remember you.

Cuffs
02-06-2006, 23:42
I don't think it is a dumb question. I swear every time my cat stares at me it is as if she knows I am dumping her at some strangers house for half a year.

Dogs are pretty smart and have good smell, I am sure your dog will remember you.

I agree! I have had to leave my drooler with family and it takes all of 2 seconds for her to snap back! I also leave a piece of clothing that I have worn for a day or 2 (eww) with her so she has my scent with her... I also always send her favorite bed/pillow, toys and treats. This will make their stay away from you more comfortable.

Cuffs
02-06-2006, 23:46
More ideas...

Send a piece of clothing that you have worn on the trail every few weeks or once a month... this will keep the scent memory in the forefront.

I have even been known to call the answering maching and "talk" to my furkids just so they hear my voice. Ok, so maybe thats a little much, but they are my best friends and my kids!

Cuffs
02-07-2006, 00:10
I think this would be great for dog. But for most cats in non-dog homes it would be way to stressfull to be in such a chaotic environment.

I wish there was a way to show you all my building plans... I have incorporated several "hi jacked" ideas from kennels that I have visited, plus my own ideas...

First, separate quarters for cats and dogs! I am very fortunate that my dog & 4 cats ALL get along, even sleep together. But I know that many cats have never even seen a dog before, and that can be terrifying to them. Thats why I would have distinct areas for both.

I just got a dvd that plays a fish tank, caged mice, wild birds etc, and within minutes everyone was gathered around the TV!! (Im thinking several tv's around...)

Dogs would have their own individual sleeping areas, but have a common "play room" for socializing.

Again, this is a plan still in the works, any input, ideas, suggestions are always helpful, so send 'em in!

Hike On!

Klezmorim
02-07-2006, 09:24
We board our furkid locally whenever we travel. The local kennel is also features animal training. It costs us $20 per day, which includes food, two exercise periods a day and, at the end of a stay, our pet is bathed and groomed.

It's a little pricey - actually a LOT pricey. When we take a two-week trip that adds up to $280. At that rate, six months on the AT would cost $3600 - as much, if not more than what it costs a person to hike the trail!

Needless to say, we're waiting for our 11-year-old black lab to... before we can think about long section hikes.

Blissful
02-07-2006, 21:12
Thanks for the great ideas. She is one smart pooch, I must say. I feel a little better. :)