PDA

View Full Version : Hoosier National Forest

tawa
01-31-2017, 22:13
Planning on doing some winter car camping and hiking at Indian/Celina Lake this weekend.
It is located off I-64 between Evansville and Louisville in Hoosier National Forest.
Will plan on hiking the twin lakes trail which is between 8-14 miles depending on which loop you take.
Plan on going up this Thur and staying thru at least Sat or Sunday depending on if others are interested.

Looking for others in this area that might be interested in joining.
So please let me know between tonight and Thur morning.

Free to travel next weekend if others are car camping or hiking.
Please share with me opportunities you might be aware of.

BlackBeardSully
02-06-2017, 14:52
Hey! I know this is fairly late but I wanted to know if you ever went hiking/ camping there. I've hiked half of it (I think it's larger than what they said haha), it's a really nice trail to get a long hike in. I ended up camping off the trail for fun.
Just wanted to know your thoughts!

Pringles
02-06-2017, 15:52
I did that trail long ago. It was beautiful. Enjoy.

tawa
02-09-2017, 11:02
Yes I camp and hike at Hoosier National Forest quite often. Have hiked trails including: Twin Lakes Trail, Tipsaw Lake Trail, Saddle Lake Trail and Mogan Ridge Trails.
During the fall and winter months I mostly camp at the Indian/Celina tent campground. Its almost like I have the place to myself---easy access to all trails and highways, nice facilities and gas/food opportunities fairly close.
During warm weather I would avoid campground unless you like larger crowds, barking dogs, kids gone wild etc.
Keep in touch if interested in hiking /camping in the future.

tawa
02-09-2017, 11:07
Agree---Hoosier National Forest has an abundance of nice trails.
Since I live nearby its the best place and option I have unless I want to travel 4-6 hrs.
Shawnee National Forest is also nearby and has loads of nice and beautiful trails.

Seatbelt
02-09-2017, 13:49
I have hiked this trail a few years ago also. My wife and I hiked the 14 mile loop as a day hike, Nice views, very peaceful, not strenuous. For a more challenging hike I usually will hike the Adventure Trail or the Knobstone. Both are not too far from you.