PDA

View Full Version : Tarptent Customer Service

MtDoraDave
02-01-2017, 08:03
This past weekend, I did an overnighter and it rained all night. No problem, the Squall 2 kept me dry all night. Folded/rolled up the went tent in the morning, hiked back. Yesterday, I set up the tent in my back yard to dry out and the sliding knot for the beak/ vestibule came untied. Oh no, what do I do? I'll Email Henry at Tarptent and ask him what kind of knot he used so I can duplicate it!

Within 5 minutes, he responded with this, and a note saying to let him know if I needed any more help.

(I tried the [ img ] tags, and still no pic embedding. shrug, click the link - it's an image of illustrations and instructions on how he made the sliding "knot")

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=a3925caf44&view=fimg&th=159f65c7ca3291d7&attid=0.1.1&disp=emb&attbid=ANGjdJ8H8t3NpNx0XBsS2i45FwQsjoerld8S86EKiWO mxWT7q6ah8ATcAmJ2jDDm_V-LXHHQ_u2By-_SDVADxsf6UGnl9ZeJNi5zJeMMvfHdDDwZfZLKWBmNgsfjOX0&sz=s0-l75-ft&ats=1485950119964&rm=159f65c7ca3291d7&zw&atsh=1 (https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=a3925caf44&view=fimg&th=159f65c7ca3291d7&attid=0.1.1&disp=emb&attbid=ANGjdJ8H8t3NpNx0XBsS2i45FwQsjoerld8S86EKiWO mxWT7q6ah8ATcAmJ2jDDm_V-LXHHQ_u2By-_SDVADxsf6UGnl9ZeJNi5zJeMMvfHdDDwZfZLKWBmNgsfjOX0&sz=s0-l75-ft&ats=1485950119964&rm=159f65c7ca3291d7&zw&atsh=1)

garlic08
02-01-2017, 10:02
The link didn't work for me.

I've always had fast and excellent response from Henry.

saltysack
02-01-2017, 11:13
Honestly I've never had any problems w any backpacking gear mfg...even those some rant about....recently plastic piece on my BD carbon cork flick locks broke...several years old and BD sent a new flick lock as didn't have the plastic piece.......no charge....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tipi Walter
02-01-2017, 11:58
Honestly I've never had any problems w any backpacking gear mfg...even those some rant about....recently plastic piece on my BD carbon cork flick locks broke...several years old and BD sent a new flick lock as didn't have the plastic piece.......no charge....

Gear is gear and no piece of gear is perfect and no piece of gear doesn't have its flaws. We just have to use gear long enough to find out what these flaws are. My experience with BD cork handles is terrible (cracked, broken, disintegration) and my email to them of this fact never got answered----lost in the internet toilet. Would I ever get a pole with cork again? Nope.

saltysack
02-01-2017, 12:35
Gear is gear and no piece of gear is perfect and no piece of gear doesn't have its flaws. We just have to use gear long enough to find out what these flaws are. My experience with BD cork handles is terrible (cracked, broken, disintegration) and my email to them of this fact never got answered----lost in the internet toilet. Would I ever get a pole with cork again? Nope.

All that weight is too much for the cork!! [emoji38] yea I've had a few no reply emails including one to zpacks few weeks back...things get lost for sure...my cork isn't pretty but fully functional.....I actually caught a squirrel chewing on my cork while I was taking a break. Next time I'll try the gossamer gear grips when these wear out...I've had great CS from BD even got a free set off poles...

Hosh
02-01-2017, 12:49
Sometimes it's how you ask. I agree that most manufacturer's stand behind their gear. Now that REI, Backcountry and others have changed their Customer Sat policies, the manufacturers are seeing more direct contact.

G-FOURce
02-01-2017, 15:43
My experience with SMD was ho-hum and I was exceedingly polite with them. They did resolve my issues, and in the manner I'd requested, but I had to follow up with them a number of times as they put no priority at all on the customer experience. They're a small company (I suspect very small) and they had a lot of excuses for why they hadn't followed up with me or sent my refund or mailed my new product, but in the end they did eventually get it right. From initial order until final resolution, though, the entire process took almost a month which I felt was just too long. Glad to hear that Shires is more diligent. I have found that Chris at ULA is fantastic, too.

G-FOURce
02-01-2017, 15:53
My experience with SMD was ho-hum and I was exceedingly polite with them. They did resolve my issues, and in the manner I'd requested, but I had to follow up with them a number of times as they put no priority at all on the customer experience. They're a small company (I suspect very small) and they had a lot of excuses for why they hadn't followed up with me or sent my refund or mailed my new product, but in the end they did eventually get it right. From initial order until final resolution, though, the entire process took almost a month which I felt was just too long. Glad to hear that Shires is more diligent. I have found that Chris at ULA is fantastic, too.

Sandy of PA
02-01-2017, 16:05
SMD has 4 core people and a couple contract workers, so yes, very small.

ScareBear
02-01-2017, 16:28
Dealing with a small, cottage manufacturer is always going to present timeliness issues. When they get busy, they get behind. When they get slammed, things pile up....

I recently ordered a decent amount of gear from Lawson Equipment and on one item they were very busy manufacturing to keep up with a slam in demand. Although the items did arrive, and almost within the window they advise of(which is actually a little long-ish, IMHO), I had to communicate with Lawson because they didn't provide a tracking number. When Lawson realized the order would be just out of the delivery "window" by a day, he credited 15 percent back on my credit card without being asked. Before the product ever arrived. And shipping was free to start with. And apologized. Personally. Folks, that is customer service. Customer for life. Congrats Lawson Kline!

ggreaves
02-01-2017, 17:28
Look up "taut line hitch" or you could use skurka's system - it's a modified truckers hitch. Both work exceptionally well.

http://andrewskurka.com/2016/guyline-tension-system-backpacking-tents-tarps-hammocks/

bamboo bob
02-01-2017, 20:37
I had a broken pole on a tarptent (a rainbow) I called Henry Shires from up in the sierras and he sent a replacement to Mammoth. No problem.

Venchka
02-01-2017, 21:21
Two Thumbs way up for Henry Shires. I sent an email one morning with questions about the Scarp 1. A little later my phone rings. It's Henry. He answered my questions and then told me not to order a Scarp 1 for another week when the new model would be ready to ship. I'm a fan.
Wayne

G-FOURce
02-01-2017, 21:29
Dealing with a small, cottage manufacturer is always going to present timeliness issues. When they get busy, they get behind. When they get slammed, things pile up....

I recently ordered a decent amount of gear from Lawson Equipment and on one item they were very busy manufacturing to keep up with a slam in demand. Although the items did arrive, and almost within the window they advise of(which is actually a little long-ish, IMHO), I had to communicate with Lawson because they didn't provide a tracking number. When Lawson realized the order would be just out of the delivery "window" by a day, he credited 15 percent back on my credit card without being asked. Before the product ever arrived. And shipping was free to start with. And apologized. Personally. Folks, that is customer service. Customer for life. Congrats Lawson Kline!

All it takes is showing accountability and courtesy to win customers over and promote brand loyalty. As a business owner, if you know you have more demand than supply and production/delivery times are going to run long then be transparent and proactive about it. You gain a lot of credibility when you show an an appreciation for your customers. As it is, I probably won't ever purchase from SMD again because of how they managed their shortcomings. Telling your customer that you have ignored their order and communication attempts because your kid has been sick is awfully weak. I have kids and a career and life happens to me, too, but my email and phone always work - even when my kids aren't 100%.

MtDoraDave
02-01-2017, 22:04

Here is the image he sent me. Very simple.